Jay Electronica - Exhibit C (produced by Just Blaze)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Verge

Post by Verge »

Balzac wrote: personally i can't understand how someone couldn't see his potential from listening to even just 2 or 3 random tracks.

last verse on this is the :ohsh:

jacking the lyrics from the blog:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
than anything jocked on here

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

Song is hot to death.

I get the hype for sure.

How can you not think he absolutely obliterates this?
A tuna that smells like pussy is better than a pussy that smells like tuna. -Anonymous

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Verge wrote:
Balzac wrote: personally i can't understand how someone couldn't see his potential from listening to even just 2 or 3 random tracks.

last verse on this is the :ohsh:

jacking the lyrics from the blog:
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
than anything jocked on here
F'real.

That shit is bonkers.

catfish hunter
slime green

Post by catfish hunter »

hes fuckin awesome.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Wow, this lived up to the hype. Actually copped on Itunes to support the man in hopes he'll put a fuckin album out.

blackaspirin

Post by blackaspirin »

Hasn't this track been out for a little while? I heard this like a month ago... unless this is official without the radio shit over the top of it.

anyways, the last verse gets me every time, love his shit.

LadyDeathStrizzy

Post by LadyDeathStrizzy »

^yeah its been premiered some time in October..a radio rip this is the official CDQ
word to yo motha....

grass

Post by grass »

Banged the track like three times. Came back nine hours later, drunk as fuck and read the lyrics to it.
This dude is on some next shit.
If Nas was the second, Jay might be the third.
Fuck that Serato MP3 shit! Keep it dusty!!!

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

i can't take y'all serious when y'all call a dude that says "i'm hotter than the motherfuckin sun" the rebirth of lyricism

he did shout out my street tho so peace to him
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

iCONtheMicKing wrote:i can't take y'all serious when y'all call a dude that says "i'm hotter than the motherfuckin sun" the rebirth of lyricism

he misses with lines here and there (doesn't everyone though?) but, overall, the dude is the complete package :pause:

True King

Post by True King »

love this song, been waiting for what feels like forever since the Shade 45 rip

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

iCONtheMicKing wrote:i can't take y'all serious when y'all call a dude that says "i'm hotter than the motherfuckin sun" the rebirth of lyricism

I think you're hating a little.

Or you may value 10 syllable compound rapz over effortless, lucid imagery. I just read, 2 minutes ago, some kid on Youtube say "Jay Electronica has weak multis."

I'm so fucking sick of multis.

Let's not forget that Bob Dylan and Tom Waits (arguably greater lyricists than any lyricist in hip-hop), have plenty of lyrics that don't shatter boundaries.

I'd rather hear "What's He Building in There?" by Tom Waits, over some Portland underground super rapper rhyming "American steel industry" with "apparently feel differently" and "hysterically real infantry" and "hilarious... meal... kitchen... fee?"
A tuna that smells like pussy is better than a pussy that smells like tuna. -Anonymous

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

"What's He Building in There" by Tom Waits:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nMqxNPsfN50

Memory Man

Post by Memory Man »

i love this song.

hired gun

Post by hired gun »

you hatin mike? :gyeah:
HIRED GUN-Straight Organics
http://www.freshrootsmusic.com

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

I actually kinda hope he never puts out an official album and maintains the mystique. The guy is going to go down as one the best ever regardless. Just eat off of Badu's plate and make people beg for a song every 6 months.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

maclethalcuntfucker wrote:I'd rather hear "What's He Building in There?" by Tom Waits, over some Portland underground super rapper rhyming "American steel industry" with "apparently feel differently" and "hysterically real infantry" and "hilarious... meal... kitchen... fee?"
This is the ultimate safe fallback, "I'm above rap and so cool because I listen to folk rebelz like Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan" for pasteoids.

No offense.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

yeah saigon has tons of mystique right now
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Stop.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Thun wrote:

Stop.
Like now.

PackFM

Post by PackFM »

this song is dope....mostly because of the beat
he sounds ok on this...but seriously he doesn't say anything that I haven't heard before from rappers like edo.g etc.
I still don't get the hype around his raps
but if there's ever an instrumental of this song I will bump on the reg
I F*CKING HATE RAPPERS
MAY 25, 2010
http://www.ifuckinghaterappers.com

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

iCon the Mic King wrote:i can't take y'all serious when y'all call a dude that says "i'm hotter than the motherfuckin sun" the rebirth of lyricism.
You're also conveniently omitting what preceded it:

"Call me Jay ElecHannukah
Jay ElecYarmulke
Jay ElecRamadaan Muhammad Asalaamica RasoulAllah Supana Watallah through your monitor
My uzi still weigh a ton check the barometer
I'm hotter than the muthafuckin Sun check the thermometer"

Let's get serious, bro.

:winter:

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

Employee wrote:
maclethalcuntfucker wrote:I'd rather hear "What's He Building in There?" by Tom Waits, over some Portland underground super rapper rhyming "American steel industry" with "apparently feel differently" and "hysterically real infantry" and "hilarious... meal... kitchen... fee?"
This is the ultimate safe fallback, "I'm above rap and so cool because I listen to folk rebelz like Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan" for pasteoids.

No offense.
Nah, none taken. I know what you mean.

I know some people (especially pasteoids), think it's sacrilege to enjoy rap/hip-hop more than the legendary folk rebelz, but I personally do. Hip-hop is my favorite form of music, and always has been.

I'm also not one of those people who thinks hip-hop hasn't been good since 1994. I think it's the shit. And Jay Electronica is just another example of why it's the shit.

The point in referencing Dylan/ Waits/ Guthrie was, Jay Electronica seems more focused on writing truly great lyrics, and employing vivid imagery, than he is focused on showboating and out-rapping people. I put Andre and Jay Electronica in the same league as Waits and Dylan, because they aim to create a timeless experience with their music, instead of Slaughterhouse type shit.

Rapping ferocious 64 bar verses is really not that interesting to me, if you aren't doing something like "A Day in the Life of Andre Benjamin" or "Exhibit C" etc.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

PackFM wrote:this song is dope....mostly because of the beat
he sounds ok on this...but seriously he doesn't say anything that I haven't heard before from rappers like edo.g etc.
:larry: :winter:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Jay ElecYarmulke
Jay ElecRamadaan Muhammad Asalaamica RasoulAllah Supana Watallah through your monitor
>>>>>>>>>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xn7HCabKPAs&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xn7HCabKPAs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thun

Post by Thun »

Employee wrote:
This is like when some around the way diner waitress criticizes J-Lo's eyebrows or some shit.

yes, homo.
Last edited by Thun on Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

He's not trying to shatter technical rapping boundaries.

He's not Royce the 5'9ing every time he goes into the booth.

That's not his forte. It's why people like him so much. Because his approach is completely new, and focuses way more on being musical and eloquent.

maclethal

Post by maclethal »

Jay Electronica wrote:

Jay ElecYarmulke

:copy: :copy: :copy:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Thun wrote:
Employee wrote:
This is like when some around the way diner waitress criticizes J-Lo's eyebrows or some shit.

yes, homo.
4 Real.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

maclethalcuntfucker wrote:
He's not trying to shatter technical rapping boundaries.

He's not Royce the 5'9ing every time he goes into the booth.

That's not his forte. It's why people like him so much. Because his approach is completely new, and focuses way more on being musical and eloquent.
I think he's very technical, it works because he's not trying to be so technical that he sacrifices the integrity of what he's trying to communicate.

I also dont think his approach is very new...someone else in the thread said, and I agree, that he invokes some similarities to Nas, Rakim, and Doom. Its an effortless but commanding presence in the booth. Its refeshing because its almost a lost art, but not necessarily new

Also, I think he's dope but I dont really like this song...I prefer the spaced out shit. I really like that Eternal Sunshine joint, even though I rarely listen past the first verse

I think the wackest thing about this dude is his name...but Im one to talk