Jay Electronica - Exhibit C (produced by Just Blaze)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

funny how a lot of the people who "don't get him" are rappers themselves

:killacam:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

why is half the reason Jay is so dope?

cause he's being ~himself~.

dropping space shit cause he believes it. giving street commentary cause he's been there. spitting wack MC killing lines cause he can do that too. and not giving a fuck about what's going on in rhyme right now, because he's creating what's going on in rhymes right now.

but I hear what iCON is saying, still. Jay Elec doesn't always blow me away, but he's mostly pretty fucking fresh dope dope, cause he's evolving himself along his own rhyme path, and getting better with time and experience.

if you got it, you got it. some motherfuckers will never get it.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ric

Post by ric »

meh

just my two

starks

Post by starks »

ric wrote:meh

just my two
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Balzac wrote:funny how a lot of the people who "don't get him" are rappers themselves

Yeah, it's very telling that generic punchline netcees who make the blandest rap you'll ever hear like Cash Rulz, Pack F.M and Icon The Mic King don't like this song.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

hired gun wrote:
iCONtheMicKing wrote:i can't take y'all serious when y'all call a dude that says "i'm hotter than the motherfuckin sun" the rebirth of lyricism

he did shout out my street tho so peace to him
you hatin mike? :gyeah:
first thing i thought.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

PackFM wrote:this song is dope....mostly because of the beat
he sounds ok on this...but seriously he doesn't say anything that I haven't heard before from rappers like edo.g etc.
I still don't get the hype around his raps
but if there's ever an instrumental of this song I will bump on the reg
Correct me if I'm wrong but you really dislike MF Doom too, right? I definitely can see Jay appeal to specific audience, mainly those who grew up listening to Rah or Kane. If you don't get it, then you just don't get it. But like Blockhead said in a very non-homo kinda way he really is the complete package. He isn't some young dude. He's 30+, he has put in years and years of work studying the art, working with various talents. He knows how to write a song and put all his emotions on a track in a way where the listener can actually feel it.

I don't want to say you're hating too, cuz like I said either you like him or you don't but there is so much to like IMO and for the older heads I'd be surprised that they didn't like him.

With your cousin I just think he is a bit frustrated with his current buzz/sales and rightfully so because he did put in a lot of work on the new album, but Jay drops 1 track and the internet is going gaga.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

I find it quite staggering that a rapper who was a member of eFamm has the cojones to criticize any rapper.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The fact that Just Blaze, arguably the best producer in the game right now ONLY wants to work with him or how rappers like Nas, Black Thought, Q-Tip, Lil Wayne and others have praised this man to the point they're practically sucking him off or how even the biggest opportunist Puffy is on his dick says a lot about Jay Elec's appeal.

Nom Inf

Post by Nom Inf »

Dude is the best parts of Nas and Doom. Sometimes it ain't what you say but how you say it. Combine that with a dope rap voice, a nice flow, backstory, relatable but clever lyrics and an ear for dope production.

When a bunch of industry people cosign, and you live up to it with good music, hype ensues.

Plus he smashed Badu and returned unscathed. He gets props for that, off top.

Let's face it, it's difficult to be groundbreaking in hip hop music these days.
Dude ain't the second coming of anything. He's just a dope MC who delivers.

rhickey

Post by rhickey »

iCONtheMicKing wrote:i can't take y'all serious when y'all call a dude that says "i'm hotter than the motherfuckin sun" the rebirth of lyricism
Oh, you're right, that totally negates the insane "jay electramadaan muhammed a salaamica" line like two bars before it

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Balzac wrote:funny how a lot of the people who "don't get him" are rappers themselves

Its not funny. Its just I can recognize he's good, but he's praised like he's doing something new and off the chain. For people to like him and then tear down Lupe and use lyrics as an excuse means that people aren't really listening and merely hating for some other reason.

Everyone's entitled to like who they want, but for me to sit up and listen to Jay E. like he's a new Nas just ain't happening. I can enjoy his music on occassion, but I think too much of the praise is unwarranted.

If you wanna use the "oh you a rapper and you mad we ain't talking about you" excuse feel free. Then again, that would mean I more talented than you so it would negate your opinion, so I'd try another approach.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Yeah but thus far the backlash is 100% from c-horizon rappers so it looks mad suspect, gawd.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Cash Rulz wrote: For people to like him and then tear down Lupe and use lyrics as an excuse means that people aren't really listening and merely hating for some other reason.
So you want Jay Electronica to share his accolades with Lupe Fiasco because you think Lupe Fiasco is better?

Thun

Post by Thun »

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

Thun wrote:Image
nice, hats off. so much for the notion that humanities people are bad a math.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Thun wrote:Image
:lol:

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Cash Rulz wrote:

Its not funny. Its just I can recognize he's good, but he's praised like he's doing something new and off the chain. For people to like him and then tear down Lupe and use lyrics as an excuse means that people aren't really listening and merely hating for some other reason.

Everyone's entitled to like who they want, but for me to sit up and listen to Jay E. like he's a new Nas just ain't happening. I can enjoy his music on occassion, but I think too much of the praise is unwarranted.

If you wanna use the "oh you a rapper and you mad we ain't talking about you" excuse feel free. Then again, that would mean I more talented than you so it would negate your opinion, so I'd try another approach.
i just think in general rappers are biased towards other rappers cause every MC thinks they are the best ever.

and i'm not a rapper so i'm not sure what your last statement means.

PackFM

Post by PackFM »

he sounds ok on this...but seriously he doesn't say anything that I haven't heard before from rappers like edo.g etc.
who's hating?
I said "this song is dope"
"he sounds ok on this"

if this song didn't exist, and jay elec was just a pf regular board member, he'd be ignored for the most part.

you guys defend his bland "lyricism" the same way bender defends his own music. "he's not trying to be good...he's just trying to write great lyrics!"
um ok mac lets be real that whole "jay elect hanuka yamaka blah blah blah" shit is just as nonsensical as your "multis" argument

my point is he isn't saying anything that other rappers don't. so what's the big deal?

and jason....iconthemicking having standards as far as which lyrics he chooses to praise has nothing to do with him just dropping a record anymore than u not liking a certain blog being related to the fact that u didn't make XXL's top 100 hiphop websites list or whatever that was that u wrote a letter to the editor about

end of the day....THIS song is dope overall....jay electronica, however, is a bit overhyped however. I think MF Doom is actually better. I get dooms hype more than this guy.
I F*CKING HATE RAPPERS
MAY 25, 2010
http://www.ifuckinghaterappers.com

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

I am a big fan of Jay E's after being converted by OKP about two years ago and getting over the corny name. He is without a doubt one of the best MC's out right now, young or old. He is also one of those artists who, with the right production, could have a shot at a modern-day classic with his debut. That said, it is kind of comical when people act like he is the only relatively new rapper doing anything impressive.

I really hope he actually puts an album out relatively soon though. I am old school, I still want albums from artists I like and will happily pay for them.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Thun

Post by Thun »

PackFM wrote:
who's hating?
I said "this song is dope"
"he sounds ok on this"

if this song didn't exist, and jay elec was just a pf regular board member, he'd be ignored for the most part.

you guys defend his bland "lyricism" the same way bender defends his own music. "he's not trying to be good...he's just trying to write great lyrics!"
um ok mac lets be real that whole "jay elect hanuka yamaka blah blah blah" shit is just as nonsensical as your "multis" argument

my point is he isn't saying anything that other rappers don't. so what's the big deal?

and jason....iconthemicking having standards as far as which lyrics he chooses to praise has nothing to do with him just dropping a record anymore than u not liking a certain blog being related to the fact that u didn't make XXL's top 100 hiphop websites list or whatever that was that u wrote a letter to the editor about

end of the day....THIS song is dope overall....jay electronica, however, is a bit overhyped however. I think MF Doom is actually better. I get dooms hype more than this guy.
Oh shit! You're right. I didn't look at it this way.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

PackFM wrote:bland "lyricism"
Point to what is bland in this song:

"Bland" is likelier to be a characteristic of a rapper who is desperate for attention and writes and titles a song "I Fucking Hate Rappers."

PackFM

Post by PackFM »

Employee wrote:
"Bland" is likelier to be a characteristic of a rapper who is desperate for attention and writes and titles a song "I Fucking Hate Rappers."
oh no...its a whole fucking album
I F*CKING HATE RAPPERS
MAY 25, 2010

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Employee wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote: For people to like him and then tear down Lupe and use lyrics as an excuse means that people aren't really listening and merely hating for some other reason.
So you want Jay Electronica to share his accolades with Lupe Fiasco because you think Lupe Fiasco is better?
No. Just I feel that if you're going to use lyricism as a basis then I feel that Lupe is a better lyricist.

But again, there's so many people that like Doom and he sounds like he's gurgling mouthwash between bars so I will never understand some people's taste.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

PackFM wrote:
Employee wrote:
oh no...its a whole fucking album
Good grief.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Cash Rulz wrote:
Employee wrote:
No. Just I feel that if you're going to use lyricism as a basis then I feel that Lupe is a better lyricist.

But again, there's so many people that like Doom and he sounds like he's gurgling mouthwash between bars so I will never understand some people's taste.
I personally don't care for Lupe, but I can see how people would check for his shit. Jay Electronica is far more compelling as an MC, written and recorded, than anything I've ever heard from Lupe.

PackFM

Post by PackFM »

it like kwame brown getting a triple double and people saying he's the next magic johnson

ok i'm gonna stop now...he's not rap's kwame brown at all..but fuck it...i dont get it
I F*CKING HATE RAPPERS
MAY 25, 2010

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Balzac wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:

i just think in general rappers are biased towards other rappers cause every MC thinks they are the best ever.

and i'm not a rapper so i'm not sure what your last statement means.
First statement: Wrong. Its not about because we think we are the best ever. Its because an artist is going to be more critical of another artist because we know what it takes to make that creation. If you draw/paint and I get accolades for throwing some paint on a canvas and saying this conveys my emotion, you are going to be pissed because you're going to feel that I didn't do anything special and you as an artist knows what it takes to create a painting. That's all that means.

Second statement: Too many people here try to throw around that "hate" word because they feel like the only reason we're criticizing is because we not the topic of convo. You didn't use that so it doesn't apply to you.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

PackFM wrote:it like kwame brown getting a triple double and people saying he's the next magic johnson

ok i'm gonna stop now...he's not rap's kwame brown at all..but fuck it...i dont get it
:arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: / :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Employee wrote:
Cash Rulz wrote:
Employee wrote:

I personally don't care for Lupe, but I can see how people would check for his shit. Jay Electronica is far more compelling as an MC, written and recorded, than anything I've ever heard from Lupe.
:leon: