Rappers that just never lived up to their expectations

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

Philaflava wrote:
SonnyCookout wrote:I totally agree about Saukretes. He's an ill rapper, singer and producer, but there is hardly any discography to back it up.
The minute he hooked up with Redman his career officially ended.
kinda strange...i'm sure in his mind he thought it was his big break...whata u think happened?

Rob Banks

Post by Rob Banks »

I get the Young Zee love but what about the Pacer? I always thought there wasn't a question that he was the dopest in the crew. I would include him more in the "should've been bigger" thread than the "never lived up to expectations" thread. He made a bunch of dope shit whether people appreciated it enough is another story.

Never lived up to expectations?

Big Noyd
Punch & Words
Akrobatik
Thristin Howl III- which pains me to say because I'm a fan
Charles Hamilton
Red Hot Lover Tone

Perhaps, Akinyele. His career just kinda got away from him with all of that XXX rap.
I like Philly basketball, Boston baseball, and New York rap.

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

anybody mention Percee P yet? If not- imo one of the most tragic examples in history...sooooo fucking raw widit and just coulnt work the locks i guess...

+1 on big noyd too.

edit to add: ras kass, and asia.

step one

Post by step one »

Big Noyd - he's a QB thug rapper still making music 15 years after he debuted. Thats pretty much all you can expect of him.
Punch & Words - no
Akrobatik - no
Thristin Howl III- yes, but no.
Charles Hamilton - GTFO
Red Hot Lover Tone - he's half of one of the most successful production teams of the late 90s. His rapping isnt anything amazing. Expectations exceeded.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

what was the expectation for ras kass? more 20 minute rants?

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

<object width="425" height="349"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/dumqStn1oQY?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/dumqStn1oQY?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

I always thought Carlton Fisk could have had more songs out after this powerful performance on Meth's Mr. Sandman, or at least more features on Wu songs as an affiliate.

I always thought Smoothe Da Hustler & Trigger could have done ALOT more in the history of Hip Hop from the way they killed it on that first album. The rest of their releases since were so underground, plus few and far in-between it was mostly die-hard vinyl diggers who heard of them, I think they deserved more recognition at least in the mid 90's when dope lyricists from Brooklyn were more accepted in mainstream media.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

siLLy KiD wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
SonnyCookout wrote:I totally agree about Saukretes. He's an ill rapper, singer and producer, but there is hardly any discography to back it up.
kinda strange...i'm sure in his mind he thought it was his big break...whata u think happened?
Redman hasn't been right since the mid 90s.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

drizzle wrote:
Thun wrote:Am I the only one who really likes Use Your Confusion?
haven't listened to it since it dropped, but i remember it did have some good stuff. i'm guessing the negative reaction was due more to people's expectations than the actual quality of it. it's probably due for a re appraisal

I may be remembering incorrectly but wasn't this album universally lauded upon its release? It's absurd that anyone could have been disappointed with it, it's objectively great.

Kalistoga

Post by Kalistoga »

Although most people on don't think much of J. Cole, I personally thought he was gonna be more than what he is right now. Dope rapper, but lacks any personality whatsoever. Maybe it's too early to tell though.

Juice after all those Wake Up Show appearances.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

The difference between J Cole and Charles Hamilton at this point is a Jay-Z co-sign. Both rappers who never deserved the hype they received and provide absolutely nothing new or refreshing. Amateur emcees. Seriously there are at least a handful of emcees unsigned who post on this forum that are significantly better than J. Cole.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

Charles Hamilton's personality ruined him. and he released way too much music in a short period of time. he's got some lyrical talent and he's not necessarily afraid to put alot out there on paper but his character makes him not worth paying attention to.

when people ask me if he's worth listening to i just say download his music but dont watch any videos featuring him or read/watch any interviews because it will probably make you hate him.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

A Kid wrote:what was the expectation for ras kass? more 20 minute rants?
His songs were very diverse and unique. He ranted (and was good at it) but not as much as you're making it out to be.

Ras Kass is one of the best replies to this topic. He got fucked over by his record label while he was in his prime. Then when he was able to make shit, he had regressed, so it's been a waste. Either way, the small amount of material that Ras released during his prime is godbody, classic, and groundbreaking. He fathered a lot of styles. So even though he ain't poppin as of late, his classic material shouldn't be forgotten.

Also, Canibus is an obvious choice. He made a buzz, took it further and got a chance to actually blow, and blew it (nh). That LL shit ended his career, interest, record deal, everything. He then became erratic; hit and miss. But he had some high points, but a lot more lower ones. Now, I don't know what he is cause I haven't forgivin him for that last atrocity he villainously committed, so I don't listen to him. But like Ras, 'Bis had potential and his small works from his prime time are classic; nonnegotiable.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

you're right, the rant comment was mainly about nature of the threat.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

step one wrote:Big Noyd - he's a QB thug rapper still making music 15 years after he debuted. Thats pretty much all you can expect of him.
Punch & Words - no
Akrobatik - no
Thristin Howl III- yes, but no.
Charles Hamilton - GTFO
Red Hot Lover Tone - he's half of one of the most successful production teams of the late 90s. His rapping isnt anything amazing. Expectations exceeded.
This.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Siah and Yeshua DapoED fall into this category as well. They made a dope EP, and record a bunch of dope material (that was released years later), but never popped, even tho they made good music. Siah went on to work in the UN and stopped recording, although he recorded one song with him speaking in Hebrew, Arabic, and English...it was weird. Yeshua continued to make music, putting out an EP and and an album with his crew Wee Bee Foolish. The group project was tight as was his EP, but he kinda just faded; shoulda blown up.

Cru, another one. Made an amazing debut. Top notch production, a lot of potential, but never took off. I dunno what happened to them, but they producer (Yogi) went on to do some shit with Bad Boy and some RnB shit briefly. Now, I rarely see his name in production credits, so iono. He did the intro and outro of Meth's Tical 0, but after that iono. As far as the emcees, I dunno what happened to them, but honestly who cares.

Rise. Late 90s-early 00s, duke brought heat consistently. People slept on him cause his high pitch voice, so he never got the true exposure he deserved. He continued to make music sporadically and also became very inconsistent. He's improved a lot in the past few years, but still nothing to the force he was early in his career.

Akbar from Mental Giants. Honestly I don't know much about duke other than he makes amazing music akin to the likes of Rakim, G Rap, KRS, and BDK. Comparing him to legends like that seems absurd, especially when he has such little material, but his skills transcend dopeness. A lotta people will disagree with me on how good he is, but you can't dismiss him as a candidate to be in the OT's category. As for what he's doin now; I have no idea, but I'm always checking.

step one

Post by step one »

siLLy KiD wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
could be he took the attitude that he was rolling with a well known rapper on Def Jam and thought he'd blow up by association so he stopped putting the effort. Either that or he got held up by relying on ther people having influence over his career.

Its a similar thing with someone like Memphis Bleek - he owes his career to Jay Z but he might have been more succesful if didnt have that hanging over him (ok, maybe not but you see what Im getting at).
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

damn i completely forgot about Rise..he's still releasing music?

thatkidnero

Post by thatkidnero »

Philaflava wrote:The difference between J Cole and Charles Hamilton at this point is a Jay-Z co-sign.
That's crazy. The difference between them is that only one of them can rap.

Thun

Post by Thun »

thatkidnero wrote:
Philaflava wrote:The difference between J Cole and Charles Hamilton at this point is a Jay-Z co-sign.
That's crazy. The difference between them is that only one of them can rap.
Which one? They both seem equally incompetent at their chosen artform.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Cant decide whether he belongs here or in the "Shouldve blown up more" thread, but Kardinal Offishal.

Thun

Post by Thun »

The Afronaut wrote:Cant decide whether he belongs here or in the "Shouldve blown up more" thread, but Kardinal Offishal.
Can't see how he'd ever be anything more than novelty or cameo factory.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

A Kid wrote:damn i completely forgot about Rise..he's still releasing music?
In 09 he released this:

Was pretty tight, but not up to par with old Rise.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

word i'll check that out. way too much forehead on the cover to miss out.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

I'll like to add Lyrics Born

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Speaking of Solesides, Gift of Gab shouldn't have blown up because his sound doesn't appeal to the masses, but his career should have been bigger and produced more quality rap tunes.

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Choclair was way better than Saukrates. "Lets Ride" is pretty much the only Canadian rap song I would ever go out of my way to listen to. Dude rapping on the back of the motorcycle was sweet.

Is he dead?

Rob Banks

Post by Rob Banks »

I'm a fan of Rapper Noyd but he didn't reach his expectations. First of all, I respect being able to make music 15 years but this isn't the NBA--being in the game 15 years isn't super difficult, especially when you don't sell records for 13 of them. Channel Live still make records! Expectations were high after his verse on "Just Step (Give Up The Goods)". I like his Tommy Boy album but most people don't give a shit. And all those Landspeed albums or whatever shit he's released lately... Even the most die hard rap fans would struggle to name those albums.

Not only was Wordsworth on the last ATCQ album and the Black Star album, but he was on MTV and seemingly had all the right connections... and he's dope! It just didn't work out for him...

How about the homie Rah-Sun? Any of you dudes remember him?

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Rob Banks wrote:Not only was Wordsworth on the last ATCQ album and the Black Star album, but he was on MTV and seemingly had all the right connections... and he's dope! It just didn't work out for him...
Good call.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

Philaflava wrote:Speaking of Solesides, Gift of Gab shouldn't have blown up because his sound doesn't appeal to the masses, but his career should have been bigger and produced more quality rap tunes.
Yeah, he probably did enough in the earlier part of his career to "meet expectations" but I definitely agree that 1. the last Blackalicious album, 2. that Mighty Underdogs album and 3. His last solo album (did anyone even notice that? I think it was called escape2mars or something like that) were all pretty big flops.

Req

Post by Req »

blastmaster wrote:Choclair was way better than Saukrates.
nohohohohohohoho

no

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hScPn9UtkGo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> *
F.U. MOOLAH