6%
Passin' Me By
6%

Total votes: 69

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: Pick your favorite Westcoast chill track

Post by Employee »

:copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy:

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Employee wrote::copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy: :copy:

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

A ROY AYERS SAMPLE? I GUESS THIS ONE ISN'T THAT BAD

IS THAT BOOTSY COLLINS? AUTOMATIC PASS

I BET SOMEONE COULD FLIP THAT SAMPLE REALLY HOT IF THEY DIDN'T USE SUCH THIN ASS DRUMS

808s?? I'D RATHER LISTEN TO MANTRONIX. PEACE OUT

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

I try but I'm just not the vote for '93 Til then get in an internet hip hop "fight" type. Cry a single tear for me.
I <3 Employee.

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

:rofl: ackbar is a g..

everyone's gonna get on blockhead's case for that one but i got to say i'm not so sure about west coast artists looping things more than east coast artists. the first flip that came to mind for more bounce to an ounce was brotha lynch 'had 2 gat ya' and that's a crazy flip.. and then i thought w.c. and the madd circle and they flipped shit crazy.. i don't know i'm kinda running down a quick list in my mind and i don't think that description of the west coast just looping shit (especially way more that the east coast did) is accurate.

i'm not gonna even get in to the greatness of the like of khayree and ant banks replaying shit or in khayree case straight composing shit ... but they are NOT on the level of a bar band. you're average bar band is not making that shit sound so hip hop.. that's the amazing originality of it.. studio ton..

and i read somewhere once (like a blurb) the big hutch went to college for jazz theory? can anyone confirm that.. ackbar maybe :lol:

:icedit just relistned to had to gat ya flip.. not that crazy just a loop at a unexpected part of the song.. still my favorite flip of that.. yeah i would still call it a flip :lol:
Last edited by EichTurner on Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
illegal mind shoe lace

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

no idea about the jazz theory. seems plausible. espec considering who his uncle was

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

yeah, that's what i was thinking. i can't remember where i read that.. he composed a lot of uncle sames curse though right? like set free.. shit's impressive..
illegal mind shoe lace

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

:bow: ackbar (even though that pic was taken in the late 90's, you're gangster is solidified)
I'm gonna get that pic tatted on my chest.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Employee wrote:
Blockhead wrote:This is all trivial. we're talking about rap on a message board. What could be more trivial? Surely you, of all people, can relate to that.
I do obsess over small things sometimes but that's more my old man rap nerd rage than anything.
also, talking rap with ackbar is equal parts fascinating and infuriating.
I hear you, man, but come on: you literally dismissed like two decades of music (a lot of which is arguably very dope).
Not clear on this point. What did i dismiss? I like a lot of g-funk and stuff from that era. I think that point is getting lost in all this. I simply Prefer other shit over it.
The only thing I really dismissed was the dangerous crew brand of production. but that's a personal taste thing. And, to keep beating a dead horse, I'm from Ny ,dude. NO ONE out here liked that that at all. It wasn't even a question. I remember laughing hysterically the first time I saw the "sprinkle me" video on BET and going to school the next day and everyone else laughing about it as well. So, you know, me liking that shit wasn't in the cards. Years later, revisiting it, I still don't like it but for different reasons. more nerdy producers reasons. But, like I said, it's just a matter of taste. Me not liking them is in no way dismissing an entire coasts contribution to good hip hop.
PS. We should be together soon.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Ackbar just did a cold 187 on you all.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Hutch having formal music training makes sense anyways. Not even counting Willie's influence, shit like Funk Upon A Rhyme has more in common with the p-funk shit people were sampling than any other rap music that I can think of atm. Theres iron clad arguments for Khayree, Studio Ton, Quik, Sam Bostic, Ant Banks etc being massively gifted multi-"real"instrumentalists and composers.

Completely abandoning the appeal of less abrasive music from previous eras and dismissing 4-bar loops & eh, thin drums as primitive/limited or whatever in the name of some warped idea of progression is revenge of the nerds fuckery. Chuck D's "rap is music for your girlfriend to hate" soundbite is still way more questionable than any of Griff or Flav's mentalness.

No ones clapper is set to dim the lights and play Welcome 2 Detroit.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

EichTurner wrote:
everyone's gonna get on blockhead's case for that one but i got to say i'm not so sure about west coast artists looping things more than east coast artists. the first flip that came to mind for more bounce to an ounce was brotha lynch 'had 2 gat ya' and that's a crazy flip.. and then i thought w.c. and the madd circle and they flipped shit crazy.. i don't know i'm kinda running down a quick list in my mind and i don't think that description of the west coast just looping shit (especially way more that the east coast did) is accurate.
Did I say the west coast loops more? Cause that's wildly inaccurate. The west coast definitively was fucking with live instruments way more than the east coast. Between in studio guys and the abundance of synths, there's no comparison. which leads me too...
i'm not gonna even get in to the greatness of the like of khayree and ant banks replaying shit or in khayree case straight composing shit ... but they are NOT on the level of a bar band. you're average bar band is not making that shit sound so hip hop.. that's the amazing originality of it.. studio ton..
I think you took me literally here. I'm not saying they are like a bunch of dads playing at the local dive bar for their wives. I meant they're musicians who ,while clearly skilled, aren't exactly making musical history with their compositions. Those clips that Akbar posted really proved my point more than I could ever do with words. Crappy sounding synths, the famous "atomic dog" inspired clap snare that EVERYONE used, and live instrumentation that, despite what the people disagreeing with me might say, it just some run of the mill funk/blues shit. They even would throw in some corny noodling on the guitar here and there to really bring it home.
Is it all bad? Certainly not. But the majority of it never worked for me.
Honestly, I'd take the same stance against much of the Coup's live instrument based production work and I love lots of their music. I dunno. I just don't see it.
Oh and I checked out on fucking with Above the law after "Black mafia life" so, there's that too.
But hey, you guys enjoy it. I'm not here to stop you from that. after all, this is the "chill west coast" thread.

Nav

Post by Nav »

I just want to say that I am drunk and fuckin' loving all these selections.

And it's Cube.
Resolved Question
Does Biggie Smalls hate HipHop???

"Shoulda been a cop, Fukc Hiphop"

I've been wondering what he meant by this.
Additional Details
Rap sucks, HipHop is better

Best Answer - Chosen by Voters
Naw, he likes hip hop and rap. He was just referring to if he hadn't started rapping he would've been a cop.
So he's cursing it, not that he doesn't like it, just for the sake of it.

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

Blockhead wrote:
EichTurner wrote:
Did I say the west coast loops more? Cause that's wildly inaccurate. The west coast definitively was fucking with live instruments way more than the east coast. Between in studio guys and the abundance of synths, there's no comparison. which leads me too...
I think you took me literally here. I'm not saying they are like a bunch of dads playing at the local dive bar for their wives. I meant they're musicians who ,while clearly skilled, aren't exactly making musical history with their compositions. Those clips that Akbar posted really proved my point more than I could ever do with words. Crappy sounding synths, the famous "atomic dog" inspired clap snare that EVERYONE used, and live instrumentation that, despite what the people disagreeing with me might say, it just some run of the mill funk/blues shit. They even would throw in some corny noodling on the guitar here and there to really bring it home.
Is it all bad? Certainly not. But the majority of it never worked for me.
Honestly, I'd take the same stance against much of the Coup's live instrument based production work and I love lots of their music. I dunno. I just don't see it.
Oh and I checked out on fucking with Above the law after "Black mafia life" so, there's that too.
But hey, you guys enjoy it. I'm not here to stop you from that. after all, this is the "chill west coast" thread.
i guess agree to disagree.. it's very specifically some hip hop shit and you got to be able to know how to play it in that way. it sounds like some funky hip hop and kinda takes funk to the next level just like sampling old soul song takes them a step further.

i mean that funk to a new level in my opinion.. (this is my opinion) that sounds like nothing i've heard before.. or the songs like 15 years old now so i've heard it before but yeah..

i also get what you're saying about being from the eastcoast .. fair point.. biggie didn't like e-40 either.. wu tang must have though cause they have a studio ton remix .. so hey.. you gotta break boundries.. :lol:
illegal mind shoe lace