De La Soul-Excursions 2009

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Jaz
Ease Up

De La Soul-Excursions 2009

Post by Jaz »

http://www.spinemagazine.com/news_mp3/f ... te_rmx.mp3

It's remake time again. Track from J. Period's forthcoming A Tribe Called Quest tribute mix-CD The (Abstract) Best: 'Excursions 2009', featuring De La Soul.
Last edited by Jaz on Tue Feb 03, 2009 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

:cheers:

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

HipHoppin wrote:shit is hot good looks

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

Niiiiiiiiiiiiiice.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Excellent.

Nice to see an avalanche of responses to this.

Verge

Post by Verge »

:ohsh: This shit is refreshing.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

this is fucking sweet!

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

It's great to hear Pos and Dave again in fine form.

thomasv

Post by thomasv »

Dope!

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Yes, Yes.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

hell muthafuckin' yeah
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

it's cool... but it's not as good as the original.

Dave is a bit lazy on it, to be honest...

but it's dope.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Thun

Post by Thun »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:it's cool... but it's not as good as the original.

but it's dope.
Would say he's more or less lazy than your attempt at covering Nas' "Memory Lane" and can you post an mp3 of that so we can compare? Just for the sake of discussion, you know.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Still bump "grind date" every now and again. I don't think these dudes ever really fell off hard (Bionix weren't great but still had plenty of selected jams on it). Can't wait to hear this.

What's everyones favorite De La album? Mine is definitely Buhloone Mind States

Thun

Post by Thun »

Buhloone Mindstate has aged the best, by far. The good songs on it are just so ... complete, so elaborate and beautiful. You can tell they were listening to lots of Pete Rock and CL Smooth when they recorded it.

The first two are classics, don't get me wrong, but for different reasons they haven't aged as well to me. The debut was obviously a monumental album that changed hip hop forever but there's an inherent late '80s corniness that is difficult to ignore. The sophomore LP was similarly brilliant, and hilarious at times, but aside from "Pass The Peas" there's just so little ... soul I guess.

Stakes Is High is cool but it spawned way too many horrific trends to be remembered fondly. I know they didn't mean it at the time, but they birthed the very worst form of backpackerism with that album.

Buhloone wins. Maybe I'm just getting old.

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

Thun wrote:Buhloone Mindstate has aged the best, by far. The good songs on it are just so ... complete, so elaborate and beautiful. You can tell they were listening to lots of Pete Rock and CL Smooth when they recorded it.

The first two are classics, don't get me wrong, but for different reasons they haven't aged as well to me. The debut was obviously a monumental album that changed hip hop forever but there's an inherent late '80s corniness that is difficult to ignore. The sophomore LP was similarly brilliant, and hilarious at times, but aside from "Pass The Peas" there's just so little ... soul I guess.

Stakes Is High is cool but it spawned way too many horrific trends to be remembered fondly. I know they didn't mean it at the time, but they birthed the very worst form of backpackerism with that album.

:cheers: Totally agree. One of my favorite albums of all time. Definitely, imo, the best De La record.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

Thun wrote:Buhloone Mindstate has aged the best, by far. The good songs on it are just so ... complete, so elaborate and beautiful. You can tell they were listening to lots of Pete Rock and CL Smooth when they recorded it.

On point. The first lp has only a few tracks that I still rock, but all in all, I respect it for the album it was and how much I loved it when I was younger, but it doesn't get rotation from me much anymore. I love a lot of tracks off De La Soul is Dead, but I don't listen front to back. Some of the skits get annoying, and its too long. Some of the tracks could be cut and I never would have missed them in retrospect. Buhloone is the album I can still bump on a roadtrip or late night driving front to back. I love the feel of the album moreso than anything else they've ever done. I still love Stakes is High but it has its down moments too. I would agree on that albums impact on taking backpacking's ghey elements to a whole new level. A fun album though. I REALLY like a few tracks on both Bionix. Nothing too terrible on either of them for the most part. I was really not expecting a lot from Grind Date, but its REALLY solid minus a few tracks, even if they were no longer "sick of R&B bitches over bullshit tracks." Shopping Bags and one other track on that album make me cringe though. All in all, Buhloone wins.

Voss

Post by Voss »

Thun wrote:The sophomore LP was similarly brilliant, and hilarious at times, but aside from "Pass The Peas" there's just so little ... soul I guess.
I feel like that lack of "soul" is kinda what they were going for on that one.
That whole complete reversal of the D.A.I.S.Y. Age "hip-hop hippies" image.
I really dig that album. "My Brother is a Basehead" and "Millie Pulled a Pistol on Santa" are still fuckin' great.
I understand the gripes with the skits, I got the same problem with 3 Feet High. But they did do skits right for the most part.

Then again, I feel y'all on Buhloone Mindstate being a more complete "album" album, if that makes sense.

I just love De La. Even the AOI's and Grind Date. They've never really disappointed me aside from one or two tracks.

Oh and I ain't even listened to the remix that started the thread yet. Ha.

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:it's cool... but it's not as good as the original.

but it's dope.
agree; the original is better. i don't think anyone is disputing that

tough to capture the essence of an era

i would still rather listen to this remake than most shit these days

Juice

Post by Juice »

Hustleuffagus wrote:Still bump "grind date" every now and again. I don't think these dudes ever really fell off hard (Bionix weren't great but still had plenty of selected jams on it). Can't wait to hear this.
De La is probably the most consistent group of all time imo.TGD was excellent, so many dope songs : rock co, much more, he comes, church, its like that etc.).The fact that people can`t never agree on which de la album is the best is just another testament of how dope their records really are.

A Dirty Lurker

Post by A Dirty Lurker »

My 2nd favourite group covering my favourite group can only have one outcome.

Dopeness! :bow:
My supersonics leave ya mute like Maggie Simpson.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

vinylpops wrote:

:cheers: Totally agree. One of my favorite albums of all time. Definitely, imo, the best De La record.
It was always my favorite. I understand why DLID is the most common answer but it never was mine.

Thun

Post by Thun »

I think "breakadawn" might be the best executed rap song ever. Every little aspect of that song meshes together perfectly. It still amazes me to this day.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Driving around Cali with Buhloone Mindstate playing front to back cemented it as my favorite De La album, but before that it was between DLSID and Stakes Is High with Buhloone being a close 3rd.

Buhloone Mindstate really perfected De La's sound. However, a big reason for that is because it's mastered so well and has much better sound quality than DLSID, which is in desperate need of remastering.
Last edited by Icesickle on Wed Feb 04, 2009 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Icesickle wrote:Driving around Cali with Buhloone Mindstate playing front to back cemented it as my favorite De La album, but before that it was between DLSID and Stakes Is High with Buhloone being a close 3rd.

Buhloone Mindstate really perfected De La's sound. However, a big reason for that is because it's mastered so well while and has much better sound quality than DLSID, which is in desperate need of remastering.
Yeah, DLSID might have the worst sound quality of any CD I've ever purchased. Who the fuck engineered, mixed, and mastered that bullshit?

Willie B

Post by Willie B »

shit is princess azula type hot

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Since this thread has already become a general De La thread I'd like to restate my love for Mosaic Thump.

Brace yourselves.

I'd rather listen to Mosaic Thump front to back than 3 Feet High. (I only listened to 3 Feet High after the fact, so a lack of sentimental attachment and/or hearing it when it first came out might have something to do with this.)

The album flows really well and you can tell they spent a lot of time making it do so, from the feature performances that are masked as skits to the way each track comes together. My Writes, U Can Do, Oooh, Set the Mood, All Good?, Copa (Cabanga), Foolin', and The Art of Getting Jumped are all great and You Don't Wanna Bust That Shit might be the liveist (is that a word?) track De La's ever put out.

I can definitely see how you'd think I was crazy for putting this over 3 Feet High, but I have no idea why people are always putting Grind Date over this. There's no comparison, imo.

Proceed with internet stoning.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

drizzle wrote:Image
:naswtf:

Employee's in this thread?