Kool G Rap/Canibus Duo LP in the works

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

B'Tol

Post by B'Tol »

This seems like a thread full of folk proud of the fact that Cannibus fooled them...

I'm not saying dude is shit - but he shouldn't be anywhere NEAR a KGR project imho...

Hopefully Kool G will help the skinny dude flow - too many syllables, not enough beats in the bar.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Reason wrote: :icedit: not to discount a fellow new york lifer in blockhead, but i disagree. i think if he died right after 2nd round ko and before that dope but relatively disappointing album, he would've been hailed as one of the greatest lyricists and rappers ever, especially to not make an album
i mean, yeah, ha d he died, he would have been held in a higher regard then he was actually worth. but what dead rapper isn't?
the canibus dick riding of that time was heavy, but he was never really shit to me (or anyone i chilled with for that matter). i didn't dislike him, but i always was skeptical of him. that whole "yo, i'm starving! i'm hungry!" vibe of his seemed corny to me. canibus , ras kass, chino xl...all those rugged punchline types from that era had mad anticipation when they were finally dropping albums. i was more speaking on the big l comparison. big l was around longer he had more of a catalogue. as over rated as some people may think he is, he was ACTUALLY really dope. canibus was good for like 2 months and couldn't make good song to save his own life.
for the record, i think if ras kass had died after his verse on "commwiddit" he's be considered an all time great.

Req

Post by Req »

B'Tol wrote:
Reason wrote:wait. in order for a rapper to be overrated, doesn't he have to have a lot of hubbub, fanfare, critical acclaim, some combination of these things first?

b/c i'm pretty sure the only people who listen to canibus is canibus
He was subject of loads of hype and ish - especially during the Wycleff years...

:rofl:
Thats because between 1997 and 2000 he was worth loads of hype and ish.
F.U. MOOLAH

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Blockhead wrote:
Reason wrote: :icedit: not to discount a fellow new york lifer in blockhead, but i disagree. i think if he died right after 2nd round ko and before that dope but relatively disappointing album, he would've been hailed as one of the greatest lyricists and rappers ever, especially to not make an album
i mean, yeah, ha d he died, he would have been held in a higher regard then he was actually worth. but what dead rapper isn't?
the canibus dick riding of that time was heavy, but he was never really shit to me (or anyone i chilled with for that matter). i didn't dislike him, but i always was skeptical of him. that whole "yo, i'm starving! i'm hungry!" vibe of his seemed corny to me. canibus , ras kass, chino xl...all those rugged punchline types from that era had mad anticipation when they were finally dropping albums. i was more speaking on the big l comparison. big l was around longer he had more of a catalogue. as over rated as some people may think he is, he was ACTUALLY really dope. canibus was good for like 2 months and couldn't make good song to save his own life.
for the record, i think if ras kass had died after his verse on "commwiddit" he's be considered an all time great.
well i was 14 or 15 at the time and EVERYONE in my demographic that i knew, especially in more hood areas like yonkers or mt. vernon (than where i was stayin more up north), carried the nore tape, a clue canibus tape, and the dmx tape. shit was essential.

i miss the days where it was routine to hear WHAT WHAT WHAT WHAT then ARF ARF then MATHEMATICAL TERM SQUARED CUBED TO THE LIFE EXPONENT
Nets 2022

hell0maryjane

Post by hell0maryjane »

holy shit i cant fucking wait.

RAZAH CUTZ

Post by RAZAH CUTZ »

holy shit.....if this goes down it'll be epic....

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Canibus was dope regardless of what niiggas think. And he had some good songs, but guest appearance verses and freestyles are what made him the most anticipated rapper since Nas. And I can tell you from being around the BIG L era and thje Canibus era, Canibus buzz was much higher in terms of hysteria, but then again it was also a case of Canibus having backing from one of the highest selling artists of the decade, who was told of Canibus by a mega star as well.

Big L had the DITC thing, but he really didn't have all that many people with mainstream appeal in his circle.
"I spit that thug shit nigga, MOTHERFUCK singing"

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

drizzle wrote:europeans hating on canibus and tupac, wtf, isn't that like Christians hating on jesus and the holy spirit?
I lolled, because this is so true, to some extent.

I've said it before - 2pac is considered a God amongst pretty much every Dutch Hip-Hopper (God, that sounded gay :pause: ). I'm also affraid Lil' Wayne is going to be in that echelon but luckily it's not that far yet.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Magneto wrote:Canibus was dope regardless of what niiggas think. And he had some good songs, but guest appearance verses and freestyles are what made him the most anticipated rapper since Nas. And I can tell you from being around the BIG L era and thje Canibus era, Canibus buzz was much higher in terms of hysteria, but then again it was also a case of Canibus having backing from one of the highest selling artists of the decade, who was told of Canibus by a mega star as well.

Big L had the DITC thing, but he really didn't have all that many people with mainstream appeal in his circle.
word, the canibus buzz (no pun) was way bigger then big l. but that kinda buzz happens when you blast out of obscurity and murder a few tracks. big l was more of quiet storm cause he was around for a long time. realistically , had he not died, he's probably be still loved , but by way less people.
it is ironic that, with wyclef backing him, canibus was still a total flop.
also, part of nas' buzz, from what i recall from those days, was that his album was amazing. i remember hearing people in the industry who had heard the promo copy, freaking about how "illmatic" was gonna change the game. garnering all sorts of rakim comparisons. add on the source giving it 5 mikes and people were losing their minds. canibus' buzz was a more hopeful one that wasn't based on anything outside a few songs and that battle with LL.

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

So, in your opinion, did Canibus or LL win?

IMO, Canibus won the battle, but LL won the war.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Yohan wrote:So, in your opinion, did Canibus or LL win?

canibus 's song was obviously a million times better then ll's. but , not only did he lose the war, he lost at life in general. as big a douche bag as ll has become, he will always better better then canibus the over all scheme of things.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i think i thought ll's song was better

you can't eat a nigga's ass like me..:err:

plus i thought the beat was crazy on the ll song. haven't heard it in years so maybe i'm just buggin' and "misrememembering"

wonder if neone could up em.
Nets 2022

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Blockhead wrote:

canibus 's song was obviously a million times better then ll's. but , not only did he lose the war, he lost at life in general. as big a douche bag as ll has become, he will always better better then canibus the over all scheme of things.
This I have to agree with.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cBYJ0QhIPEw&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cBYJ0QhIPEw&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

LL smoked him on this shit.

but 2nd round Knockout was still a great diss song no matter how many ways you slice it.

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Req

Post by Req »

Nl5H wrote: LL smoked him on this shit.
:larry: x infinity and beyooooooooooooooooooooooooooond
F.U. MOOLAH

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

obviously i wasn't living in teh tri state area during that 98-00 time period. and some kids here on teh west coast had the album w/ the big C on teh front. but i nevar liked can-i-bus. and it wasnt just cause i was too busy bumping 400 Degreez. i didnt like his voice. i am a fan of tons of rappers who forcefully try to make themselves sound super raw but w/ him it just sounded annoying.

altho i rele did have a fascination w/ that one line where he talked about how if u take all teh animals out the sea then teh world rele isn't two-thirds water. cause they always used to say that to u in elementary school and all teh kids including a young smithee would b like OHSH OHSH ya kno cause we were used to land all around us. so ya especially the way he delivers the line, i dug it. used to call out teh lil ithikkkle style kids @ san diego state who thought they were hella smart on it and they always agreed that it was a dope concept.

until i told this one smart college chic....and she's like.....well....except....most of all those sea animals' body weight consist of 90% water.

me: wait....:ohsh: :ohsh: :killacam:

spitboxer

Post by spitboxer »

A KGR & Bis album should be dope, they ripped about 7 tracks or more together already down the years.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Req wrote:
it's closer than most ppl made it out to be
Nets 2022

B'Tol

Post by B'Tol »

Reason wrote:
Req wrote:
Yeah - but that was YEARS ago...

The difference is, Kool G has been consistently nice... Bis had a hot 2 years and then fell the fuck off.

Kool G needs to make an album with RA.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Smithee wrote:obviously i wasn't living in teh tri state area during that 98-00 time period. and some kids here on teh west coast had the album w/ the big C on teh front. but i nevar liked can-i-bus. and it wasnt just cause i was too busy bumping 400 Degreez. i didnt like his voice. i am a fan of tons of rappers who forcefully try to make themselves sound super raw but w/ him it just sounded annoying.

altho i rele did have a fascination w/ that one line where he talked about how if u take all teh animals out the sea then teh world rele isn't two-thirds water. cause they always used to say that to u in elementary school and all teh kids including a young smithee would b like OHSH OHSH ya kno cause we were used to land all around us. so ya especially the way he delivers the line, i dug it. used to call out teh lil ithikkkle style kids @ san diego state who thought they were hella smart on it and they always agreed that it was a dope concept.

until i told this one smart college chic....and she's like.....well....except....most of all those sea animals' body weight consist of 90% water.

:rofl:

this post is glorious AND educational

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

canibus' + stoupe > canibus' first album

but i'm in love with stoupe's beats on that joint

B'Tol wrote:
Reason wrote:
Req wrote:
Yeah - but that was YEARS ago...

The difference is, Kool G has been consistently nice... Bis had a hot 2 years and then fell the fuck off.

Kool G needs to make an album with RA.
oh you're educating me and the rest of us on how kool g has been more consistent than canibus? groundbreaking stuff, bro.
Nets 2022

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Yohan wrote:
Blockhead wrote:

This I have to agree with.
yeah.

LL will never rhyme on some of the levels Canibus took it to.

But Canibus will never be regarded as an international hip hop icon like LL.

still... Canibus fucking ETHERED LL Cool J with '2nd Round Knockout', case closed.

p.s. 'The Ripper Strikes Back' is so corny I can't listen to it without feeling an overwhelming wave of shame for one of my very first rap idols
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

max prime

Post by max prime »

drizzle wrote:it's a shame that dungeons&dragons rap they tried to do with 4 horsemen never went far, it was pretty loltastic
same reason I'd be interest in a canibus kool g collab. But why can't canibus collab with Chino xl or someone more suited to his style?

and why can't kool g do an album with prodigy?

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Smithee wrote:obviously i wasn't living in teh tri state area during that 98-00 time period. and some kids here on teh west coast had the album w/ the big C on teh front. but i nevar liked can-i-bus. and it wasnt just cause i was too busy bumping 400 Degreez. i didnt like his voice. i am a fan of tons of rappers who forcefully try to make themselves sound super raw but w/ him it just sounded annoying.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I always dug that LL line "but 99% of your fans don't exist". The rest, not so much.

Req

Post by Req »

Reason wrote:
Req wrote:
No it's not. What's the track that most people put in their top 10 greatest diss tracks of all time if not top 5? "2nd Round Knockout." What song is it that people barely remember and probably wouldn't even place top 50? Yeah, that one. It's corny and ridiculously contrived. They're not even in the same league.

"Rasta Imposta" shits all over it for the simple reason that L wasn't tryna be something he's not.
F.U. MOOLAH

step one

Post by step one »

Canibus in 98 = Papoose in 05

Papoose & Saigon collaboration album dropping in 2015 on Babygrande :lol:
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Magneto

Post by Magneto »

Papoose is nowhere near Canibus in his prime.

Martin

Post by Martin »

Magneto wrote:Papoose is nowhere near Canibus in his prime.
and saigon will never ever touch kool g rap.

Juice

Post by Juice »

Smithee wrote: until i told this one smart college chic....and she's like.....well....except....most of all those sea animals' body weight consist of 90% water.

:retard: