Elzhi doing a remake of Illmatic called Elmatic

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

RAZAH CUTZ

Elzhi doing a remake of Illmatic called Elmatic

Post by RAZAH CUTZ »

you can listen a to snippets of "The World Is Yours" and "the Genesis" here:
http://fromthebaseline.com/hip-hop-blog ... c#JOSC_TOP

El got this shit soundin' correct....he'll do this project justice.....

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

i heard a few clips and then decided this is gonna be dope as fuck. at first i was a bit hesitant.

Dap

Post by Dap »

Philaflava wrote:i heard a few clips and then decided this is gonna be dope as fuck. at first i was a bit hesitant.

multsanta

Post by multsanta »

:arrow: :arrow:

multsanta

Post by multsanta »

Thun

Post by Thun »

How about instead of this, Elzhi just concentrates and makes a really good album of his own, since he is probably capable of it?

step one

Post by step one »

Thun wrote:How about instead of this, Elzhi just concentrates and makes a really good album of his own, since he is probably capable of it?
exactly. Im not feeling all these 'tributes' that are dropping right now, especially to artists that are still alive and recording. I dont need to hear a homage to Primo or Joell Ortiz covering Hip Hop standards. Its just karaoke by another name.
its a sign of a lack of ideas and a way to get attention by attaching your name to something thats already popular, and although Im sure it wont sound bad, its not going to stand up to repeated listening cos in 6 months you're going to reach for Illmatic over a tribute to Illmatic every time.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Req

Post by Req »

no point, already been done to perfection

F.U. MOOLAH

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

I can understand why some would prefer a new Elzhi album that isn't a tribute, but this seems to be a win-win for all involved. This will help Elzhi from a marketing standpoint since it will put him on the radar of a lot of people that usually wouldn't know about him, and it will still be quality music considering the instrumentals that will be used and the MC that's rapping to them. Elzhi dropped two good albums last year so I think this is just something to keep his name out there. In any case, I'm hyped for this.

Elzhi>>>>>

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

more lols in thread than expected
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

PopsUK

Post by PopsUK »

Elzhi is one of the best things about hiphop in 2009. I don't see the problem with him putting out this mixtape before his next full album which he is working on. It's not like he's putting out a shitty mixtape every week like some of the prominent MCs of the last few years.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

samdoom wrote:Elzhi dropped two good albums last year

What did he have besides The Preface?

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

Combo7 wrote:
samdoom wrote:Elzhi dropped two good albums last year

What did he have besides The Preface?
Euro-Pass

kimani

Post by kimani »

Thun wrote:How about instead of this, Elzhi just concentrates and makes a really good album of his own, since he is probably capable of it?
For the most part I agree with people saying Elzi is good and has put out good albums and this project will be good, etc. but I have a suspicion that after the release of this cover album we will see a decrease in quality from his original work. And regardless of whether or not that happens, I want to hear something great from him in his own words before I hear him cover some stuff that is already obviously great; this is the type of project you do when you're a little older and too lazy to write your own great lyrics but still wish to remain relevant.
"'Fuck this, fuck that' is my motto!"

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

upon first hearing this I cringed, but then I really thought about it and realized if anyone could pull this off it would be elzhi...I'll be checkin for this

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Req wrote:no point, already been done to perfection

:wtf:I THINK I JUST THREW UP IN MY MOUTH A LITTLE BIT

:rofl:

what do I keep telling you guys?

why are people not able to make their own full albums?

LACK OF ARTISTIC VISION.

I mean, after hearing a few of Cam'ron's songs that have leaked, don't you feel the hype has died down a bit? We been waiting years for KFC to return from the drubbing 50 Cent gave him... and now, after allll this anticipation, we get something called... 'Crime Pays'? :killacam:

hell, at least 'Pray 4 Reign' and 'Hustler's P.O.M.E.' had a SLIGHT attempt at some kind of conceptuality, as flimsy thin the thoughts were.

jesus christ. I gotta get back to work now. blogs and music.

(peace to Elzhi though, still. The last of a dying breed. This album will be ILL [no pun intended :cookiecookie: ])

:megaman:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Req wrote:no point, already been done to perfection

:wtf:I THINK I JUST THREW UP IN MY MOUTH A LITTLE BIT
No doubt. Shit is disgusting. And Elzhi? Really?

GM Dizzy Skillespie
Ghetto Revivalist

Post by GM Dizzy Skillespie »

bad idea or good idea... this is sounding dope as fuck.
Elzhi is killing those verses.

still I would rather hear Elzhi maybe hook up with a talented producer who could possibly create some beats with an illmatic feel to them or some shit, something a little more creative than just kicking verses over Illmatic beats.

i'm just spouting off ideas, this will be dope, but if dude has serious talent, he should challenge himself a little more I guess.

J-Serious

Post by J-Serious »

what the point?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

J-Serious wrote:what the point?
To jumpstart his career. Outside of a few message boards and the Fat Beats store Elzhi isn't even on the radar and to my knowledge he's been making music for close to a decade now.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote:
To jumpstart his career. Outside of a few message boards and the Fat Beats store Elzhi isn't even on the radar and to my knowledge he's been making music for close to a decade now.
So the rationale behind the bland idea is a bland gimmick? Is this like the beginning of a wave of pre-mortem tribute albums?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Employee wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
So the rationale behind the bland idea is a bland gimmick? Is this like the beginning of a wave of pre-mortem tribute albums?
You're asking me the rationale behind this? Ask 9th Wonder, Dangermouse, Kno, Focus, most blog rappers or anyone who's ever done this since 2002. It ain't nothing new but to say it doesn't create a little buzz is ridiculous. Elzhi is one of the best rappers out now (IMO) and he's covering the greatest album of all-time. Contrived? Sure. Will it do more for him than say the last Slum Village album or his CD-R albums and Fat Beats release only debut? You know it!

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Philaflava wrote:
Employee wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
You're asking me the rationale behind this? Ask 9th Wonder, Dangermouse, Kno, Focus, most blog rappers or anyone who's ever done this since 2002. It ain't nothing new but to say it doesn't create a little buzz is ridiculous. Elzhi is one of the best rappers out now (IMO) and he's covering the greatest album of all-time. Contrived? Sure. Will it do more for him than say the last Slum Village album or his CD-R albums and Fat Beats release only debut? You know it!
agreed on many levels.

there have been a LOT more blasphemous ideas conceived in hip hop history. that Dame Dash re-imagining of Reasonable Doubt that had no :jayz: involvement , for starters...

Elzhi has been doing hip hop long enough that he knows how to not dishonor Gnozzear Jones's debut
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Philaflava wrote:

but like he did a song with kanye west dude

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Race Car Bed Sleeping Rapist Virgin wrote:
Philaflava wrote:

which one? i aint never hurd it.

Elzhi is one of those guys who is WAY too smart for his own good.

I know them when i see them :ironmike:

Req

Post by Req »

Philaflava wrote:

lol, yes you have
F.U. MOOLAH

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Req wrote:
Philaflava wrote:

lol, yes you have
yea man u heard it shit was on 106 and park on a regular basis

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Req wrote:
Philaflava wrote:

lol, yes you have
lol not a good sign if you can't even remember it

btw, i'm in the "bit hesitant at first" stage. i guess this thread will be revisited when the shit is actually completed/released
Nets 2022

sneed

Post by sneed »

this is stupid. Just make your own shit. All the work was basically already laid out for him, the beats, the rhyme style and flow. It's like a paint by numbers or the Gus Van Sant version of Psycho.

max prime

Post by max prime »

my theory is that while Elzhi is dope. but everyone one is jelous of illmatic beats. i know i am