Ab Rude & Myka 9's albums this year...

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

PopsUK

Ab Rude & Myka 9's albums this year...

Post by PopsUK »

1969 is a fucking great album - Factor's production suits Myka perfectly and it's solid from start to finish. Rejuvination is a great summer album... and one of the best releases of the year...

So why can't Aceyalone put out a decent rap record? Just wondering...

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Because Acey is too busy remaking 50's Doo-wop bullshit.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Re: Ab Rude & Myka 9's albums this year...

Post by Employee »

PopsUK wrote:
So why can't Aceyalone put out a decent rap record? Just wondering...
Join the club.

How one goes from early Freestyle Fellowship and an opus as well-woven as All Balls Don't Bounce to a string of utterly forgettable, used bin-bound albums in what amounts to a decade?

I thought there was a slight chance at a recovery when I first heard that "Mike, Aaron and Eddie" song. Granted, he wasn't that Acey, but he sounded energized like he hadn't in years. Then the rest of the album was digested and it reminded me of what it's like to marvel at the past and vomit for the future.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

I liked both albums, but enjoyed Ab Rude's more.

battlecatmeowstab212

Post by battlecatmeowstab212 »

Outside of a string of four VERY dope tracks (including one where Acey proved he can rip it despite his current desire to make unenjoyable concept records) and the cool hidden track, I didn't like Abstract Rude's record that much. For something that was supposed to be his definitive masterpiece, or at least him finally coming into his own and fufilling the potential I believe he still has, I think he played it too safe and make songs that were largely interchangeable with everything else he's done in recent memory. NoCanDo's performance on his EP is much more like what I'd like to hear from that camp.

Glad to hear people like 1969, I'll probably check it out now.
Check out my FREE album featuring MAC LETHAL, ALASKA from HANGAR 18, HOMEBOY SANDMAN and J57 of the BROWN BAG ALL STARS -
http://chazkangas.bandcamp.com

http://www.twitter.com/chazraps

http://www.popularopinions.wordpress.com

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

we should just sticky this already.

This thread gets made every six weeks

self :owens:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

mike eagle wrote:we should just sticky this already.

You don't always have to be defensive. It's when his crew don't speak up, look the other way and pretend his atrocious albums don't exist that feed into his thinking. Friends don't let friends drive drunk, well friends don't let friends piss away their talent in bullshit albums that NONE care about.

I get it, he's a grown man who's done things you could only fathom so who are you to tell him anything, but surely a whole lot more of you in the crew must think the same as us. And surely you could gently suggest him stop being such a fucking delusional self-absorbed artist who has shitted on his own career with mistake after mistake for the better part of a decade now.

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

I liked Citrus District, is the new one like that album?
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

Philaflava wrote:

You don't always have to be defensive. It's when his crew don't speak up, look the other way and pretend his atrocious albums don't exist that feed into his thinking. Friends don't let friends drive drunk, well friends don't let friends piss away their talent in bullshit albums that NONE care about.

I get it, he's a grown man who's done things you could only fathom so who are you to tell him anything, but surely a whole lot more of you in the crew must think the same as us. And surely you could gently suggest him stop being such a fucking delusional self-absorbed artist who has shitted on his own career with mistake after mistake for the better part of a decade now.
Thats the tough part, doc. I've been party to some pretty gnarly conversations with Ace about some of the things he's doing. There are certainly folks in the camp who see things the way you do. But nothing comes of them that would help change anyone's mind around here. And as far as being defensive, if you were in my position, wouldnt you feel compelled to say something if people are shitting on your homie?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

mike eagle wrote:
Philaflava wrote:

Thats the tough part, doc. I've been party to some pretty gnarly conversations with Ace about some of the things he's doing. There are certainly folks in the camp who see things the way you do. But nothing comes of them that would help change anyone's mind around here. And as far as being defensive, if you were in my position, wouldnt you feel compelled to say something if people are shitting on your homie?

I do, but nobody is saying Acey is a wack rapper. Every comment I've ever seen on this forum has always been prefixed with praise. I'm advocate for honesty and I feel too many people sugarcoat and ride the fence in this world, thus little change happens. Do I think you are the difference in making Acey see the light? No, not even close but you are just an example of what most people in you crew are like.

If people spoke up without worrying about repercussions you'd be surprised at the difference you'd see. Acey is talented and while he might have just 1 more album left in him I think that album should be something people would want to buy. Something that showcases his talents and not some self-indulgent project that he sees as himself as "growing." People are just too caught up in their own damn selves they're afraid to speak their minds. That's why I respect people like 50 Cent because he might be wack/mediocre/average whatever but he doesn't bite his tongue and maybe because of that it explains why he is one of the most successful rappers of all-time. Same can be said for Jay, Em and all of the other top dogs. A close mouth don't get feed and an isolated rapper don't get fame.

mike eagle

Post by mike eagle »

but you are just an example of what most people in you crew are like.
And this is the part that people dont understand. Believe me when I write this: behind closed doors, it goes down. I've had arguments with Ace and many of the more known names in our family have gotten in his ear about the moves that he's making. Believe me, its all said. Even if its just once. But thats in private. It doesnt do us any good to be in the public forum downgrading any of the other homies' work whether its an honest opinion or not. The best we can do is hold fast to what our own idea of dope is and create accordingly.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Good to hear then.

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

Philaflava wrote: If people spoke up without worrying about repercussions you'd be surprised at the difference you'd see.
Not sure I'd be surprised to see more people stop being friends and calling their old friends haters.

just sayin...
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

iCONtheMicKing wrote:Not sure I'd be surprised to see more people stop being friends and calling their old friends haters.

just sayin...
i don't see the problem with that.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

iCONtheMicKing wrote:
Philaflava wrote: If people spoke up without worrying about repercussions you'd be surprised at the difference you'd see.
Not sure I'd be surprised to see more people stop being friends and calling their old friends haters.

just sayin...

It's all about how you delivery the message than the message itself. If you can't tell your friends how you feel then are they really your friends?

Now as a rapper, I'm not saying to just call out names. I'm talking about a person who shares the same stage and crew with this person so it only makes sense.

Off the sub, Mike would you say being a boisterous emcee is different from an outspoken one? Many people can't name one NYOIL track now that he's solo but I bet most of the people on here who are in tune with hip-hop know the name. He's a good example of that.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Would it be fair to say years ago you were known prominently for being an arrogant rapper who many looked at as the run-of-the mill internet based battle cat with talent but had a case of the Supernatural(itis) not being able to assemble a worthy written track? And don't take this as an insult because I'm trying to build to the point. You had some hang-ups about your career and with that I'm sure came some resentment but I think you've matured greatly over the years and have eliminated many of those braggadocios elements that hindered your career more than it helped. You're now more viable, you're touring the world and actually making a nice living on it.

Sure some of those changes came with age but I know people had to get in your ear too. I must have told you that arrogant schtick wasn't working a million times so I can only imagine what others close to you have said too. That's what I'm getting out. People need to hear honesty because it's almost impossible for them to see the reality in the situation when they're in it by themselves.

I wouldn't consider Sean and me BFF but best believe if he started making music that sounded like Epic or whoever Employee has been posting videos of I'd be blowing up his phone until he either changed the number or changed his raps. People who speak up aren't always faultfinding, rather advantageous. If you make music for the world to hear, then people have a right to critic it. If you're friends with someone that you care about or care about their craft than you're subjected to hearing their opinion. It's up to you with how you want to handle the input.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

^^^ that's all well and good, but you're forgetting the artist's part in the equation.

I didn't enjoy Busdriver's new single 'Me Time' like I thought I would, even though the video is SUPREME. But I can tell that's what he wants to create.

I have that Aceyalone doo-wop album, and all the classics like 'Human Language'. I don't like the doo-wop one much, but I can see why he wants to explore places like that. If artists DON'T explore and experiment, then they end up getting 50 Cent-itis, ironically. Curtis been doing the same record for 3 albums and now all his music is meh. Beats cant even save him anymore, he's spent. Even failed experiments aren't failures, in the grand scheme of things. Common's 'Electric Circus' is great to me, looking back (I liked it when it came out, too). Compare that to his last 3 albums, and only 'Be' can stand beside it.

and for the record, Aceyaloneo RIPS IT on Ab Rude's lovely new album. Haiku De Tat, motherfuckers, what :grin:

either way, it's all just opinions, which are useless, anyhoo.

love the music
peace
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

yeah, acey rips it.
imo, dude can make whatever concept album he wants.
i'm glad someone is.
most of us are too scurrrred to.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

sean wrote:yeah, acey rips it.
imo, dude can make whatever concept album he wants.
i'm glad someone is.
most of us are too scurrrred to.
I think you're being safe. It's expected. You have a business and a relationship with his peoples. Plus you don't want to rock the boat, deter any fans or look for trouble.

Can you say you've bought his last few albums? Lightning Strikes the reggae inspired project or mostly recently "Acey & The Loney Ones" where he covers 50 doo-wop?

People can make whatever kind of music they want to, that's what being an artist is about. But you said you're glad some is making those albums so with that are you listening to them?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Mindbender Futurama wrote: either way, it's all just opinions, which are useless, anyhoo.
If opinions were useless then you wouldn't get paid to write. You wouldn't get paid to go to concerts, to blog, to write for whatever magazine you do. Opinions are important. Thats why we listen to NPR. That's why we watch the news or late-night TV.

Opinions are one of the greatest things a human can offer because without them we're all dormant. You just aren't a fan of them because many of them haven't been favorable towards you.

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

Philaflava wrote:Would it be fair to say years ago you were known prominently for being an arrogant rapper who many looked at as the run-of-the mill internet based battle cat with talent but had a case of the Supernatural(itis) not being able to assemble a worthy written track? And don't take this as an insult because I'm trying to build to the point. You had some hang-ups about your career and with that I'm sure came some resentment but I think you've matured greatly over the years and have eliminated many of those braggadocios elements that hindered your career more than it helped. You're now more viable, you're touring the world and actually making a nice living on it.
I only stopped being AS arrogant after I read the 48 laws of power. I don't really listen to you hahahahaha....or other people for that matter too much because I don't trust any of your motives. I only make a difference when it makes sense to me.

But Iono if I was ever under the Supernatural umbrella. Was I? You seem to know better than me. Run-of-the-mill is a stretch by any measuring stick though.

As far as I can remember when I first popped up I was getting praised for my silly concept rap songs on like the HHI record and then I was doing happy fuck you rap songs with QN5 that people seemed to like. If anything what I had to shake mostly the jedi shit. Excuse me for being arrogant when I could actually rap and everywhere I turn people are asking me about a corny suckerpunch.

Even with being less arrogant I still have hangups in my career. I just rap good and I know enough now to know that if I'm gonna remain the way I am as a person then I need to just fund it myself.

But anyway. I didn't say I was against people being critical of each other. In fact if you ask certain people (read: women) me being critical is one of my biggest personality flaws. I'm just saying that the difference that you would see is a bunch of muhfuckas cutting these critics out of their circles and calling them "haters" rather than people actually getting better. That's just not how it works with the brew of narcissism that is rapper or even with regular people.

Don't believe me? Get up out of your chair and go tell your boss what he's been doing wrong and the continue to do so. I guarantee you get fired before the quarter is out.

-iCON

p.s. Myka 9's album is dope. It's out now on Fake Four Records. HOLLER!
Last edited by iCONtheMicKing on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Internet Rapper - http://ipullrank.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

chapter thrive

Post by chapter thrive »

but at the end of the day, theyre still opinions of outside people.

maybe he is taking them into consideration, but just doesnt wanna act on them at the moment (or ever?), feeling his opinion on what hes doing is more salient to what he feels he needs to make.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

Philaflava wrote:I think you're being safe. It's expected. You have a business and a relationship with his peoples. Plus you don't want to rock the boat, deter any fans or look for trouble.

Can you say you've bought his last few albums? Lightning Strikes the reggae inspired project or mostly recently "Acey & The Loney Ones" where he covers 50 doo-wop?

People can make whatever kind of music they want to, that's what being an artist is about. But you said you're glad some is making those albums so with that are you listening to them?
i own both.

i own a record store, so i pretty much own one of everything.

i studied both of those albums though.
and neither of them were horrible.

i think it's funny that people assume that i'm cautious not to rock boats.
ten years ago, when i first started to meet my east/west coastal contemporairies, i made sure to be myself, and be honest with people.
and for that i was labled an arrogant asshole.
so i stayed in my own lane, and here we are ten years later, and i care even less about wearing a "networking face."
Last edited by sean on Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

iCONtheMicKing wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Would it be fair to say years ago you were known prominently for being an arrogant rapper who many looked at as the run-of-the mill internet based battle cat with talent but had a case of the Supernatural(itis) not being able to assemble a worthy written track? And don't take this as an insult because I'm trying to build to the point. You had some hang-ups about your career and with that I'm sure came some resentment but I think you've matured greatly over the years and have eliminated many of those braggadocios elements that hindered your career more than it helped. You're now more viable, you're touring the world and actually making a nice living on it.
I only stopped being AS arrogant after I read the 48 laws of power. I don't really listen to you hahahahaha....or other people for that matter too much because I don't trust any of your motives. I only make a difference when it makes sense to me.

But Iono if I was ever under the Supernatural umbrella. Was I? You seem to know better than me. Run-of-the-mill is a stretch by any measuring stick though.

As far as I can remember when I first popped up I was getting praised for my silly concept rap songs on like the HHI record and then I was doing happy fuck you rap songs with QN5 that people seemed to like. If anything what I had to shake mostly the jedi shit. Excuse me for being arrogant when I could actually rap and everywhere I turn people are asking me about a corny suckerpunch.

Even with being less arrogant I still have hangups in my career. I just rap good and I know enough now to know that if I'm gonna remain the way I am as a person then I need to just fund it myself.

But anyway. I didn't say I was against people being critical of each other. In fact if you ask certain people (read: women) me being critical is one of my biggest personality flaws. I'm just saying that the difference that you would see is a bunch of muhfuckas cutting these critics out of their circles and calling them "haters" rather than people actually getting better. That's just not how it works with the brew of narcissism that is rapper or even with regular people.

Don't believe me? Get up out of your chair and go tell your boss what he's been doing wrong and the continue to do so. I guarantee you get fired before the quarter is out.

-iCON

p.s. Myka 9's album is dope. It's out now on Fake Four Records. HOLLER!
We're not talking about being critical because that carries a negative connotation. I'm talking about being assertive, being honest with your friends. Your boss comment is really irrelevant because that's not the case at all. If you're implying Acey is Mike Eagle's boss and with the some suggestions he could get booted from teh group, then maybe but you know we're not talking about that here. I have made certain repeatedly in this thread I'm talking about friends here (and Acey).

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

sean wrote:
Philaflava wrote:I think you're being safe. It's expected. You have a business and a relationship with his peoples. Plus you don't want to rock the boat, deter any fans or look for trouble.

i own both.

i own a record store, so i pretty much own one of everything.

i studied both of those albums though.
and neither of them were horrible.

i think it's funny that people assume that i'm cautious not to rock boats.
ten years ago, when i first started to meet my east/west coastal contemporairies, i made sure to be myself, and be honest with people.
so i stayed in my own lane, and here we are ten years later, and i care even less about wearing a "networking face."

i don't know you 5 years ago so i can't comment about something that happened 10 years ago. i think your label might have to do with the music you make than sean daley the person. i can't call it.

i own every acey album there is, most of which i've purchased. i'm a fan, a big fan and maybe that is why i'm quick to express my unhappiness in his recent projects. i don't doubt you've listened to the albums. you should, it's convenient for you to stay up on things owning a music store but can you honestly say those albums contain repeat listening? can you pick out a particular track that really struck you? my opinion is they were weak attempts that most people look at as failed executions. it almost seems like acey made these as a goof. so again, do you still listen to these albums after the 1st listen? did you listen to them in their entirety? what tracks did you carry over into your ipod? and i'm not putting you on blast, we're talking real here so let's get real.

iCONtheMicKing

Post by iCONtheMicKing »

Philaflava wrote:
We're not talking about being critical because that carries a negative connotation. I'm talking about being assertive, being honest with your friends. Your boss comment is really irrelevant because that's not the case at all. If you're implying Acey is Mike Eagle's boss and with the some suggestions he could get booted from teh group, then maybe but you know we're not talking about that here. I have made certain repeatedly in this thread I'm talking about friends here (and Acey).
Since when is offering a critique not being critical?
sean wrote: ten years ago, when i first started to meet my east/west coastal contemporairies, i made sure to be myself, and be honest with people.

is my point exactly.

Fine since you want to focus on specifics of the type of person I'm talking about to support your argument I will re-explain it in the different terms. Rappers and people in positions of power tend to have a cult of personality rather than friends. When one of those people stops falling in line as a yes-man they are removed. It's pretty much as simple as that.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

Philaflava wrote: i don't know you 5 years ago so i can't comment about something that happened 10 years ago. i think your label might have to do with the music you make than sean daley the person. i can't call it.

i own every acey album there is, most of which i've purchased. i'm a fan, a big fan and maybe that is why i'm quick to express my unhappiness in his recent projects. i don't doubt you've listened to the albums. you should, it's convenient for you to stay up on things owning a music store but can you honestly say those albums contain repeat listening? can you pick out a particular track that really struck you? my opinion is they were weak attempts that most people look at as failed executions. it almost seems like acey made these as a goof. so again, do you still listen to these albums after the 1st listen? did you listen to them in their entirety? what tracks did you carry over into your ipod? and i'm not putting you on blast, we're talking real here so let's get real.
word. i understand what you are saying.
plenty of artists that fuck with us, have friends that don't like me, or my music. no big deal really. so yeah, i don't really need to keep a smile on my face to keep the label running smooth. besides, everyone knows that i rarely even show up for the meetings unless they are about me.

nope. nothing acey has made in the last ten years is on my ipod.
but to be fair, i doubt there is ten rap albums from the last ten years on my ipod.
1972 man.
my ipod is full of the raps i liked when i was 17.
i'm one of those dinosaur rapfans.

but i try to study new stuff at least once.
and imo neither of those two acey albums were as bad as some posters say. just my opinion though.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

iCONtheMicKing wrote:When one of those people stops falling in line as a yes-man they are removed. It's pretty much as simple as that.
this is a bad practice.
teach all of your rapper friends to stop doing this.
yes-men will wreck your career.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

sean wrote:
iCONtheMicKing wrote:When one of those people stops falling in line as a yes-man they are removed. It's pretty much as simple as that.
this is a bad practice.
exactly. this goes for rappers, athletes and actors.

sean
buzzkill

Post by sean »

Philaflava wrote:
sean wrote:
this is a bad practice.
exactly. this goes for rappers, athletes and actors.
and dope dealers, and chefs, and plumbers, and pretty much anywhere where you excel through work ethic and quality control.