J Dilla - Feb. 7th, 1974 - Feb. 10th, 2006

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Big Breeze

J Dilla - Feb. 7th, 1974 - Feb. 10th, 2006

Post by Big Breeze »

A great producer who was taken away from us too soon. Show some love for James Dewitt Yancey. He's not the greatest producer ever, but he was really solid at what he did.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

R.I.P. Dilla...I wish people would actually let him rest in peace though.

DJCommunist

Post by DJCommunist »

Jaz wrote:R.I.P. Dilla...I wish people would actually let him rest in peace though.

DLG

Post by DLG »

RIP

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

Jaz wrote:R.I.P. Dilla...I wish people would actually let him rest in peace though.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

DLG wrote:Image
Who is the little Grimace shaped fashionista?

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

nah... I don't mind us celebrating legends.

10 years since Pun passed? damn.
Thinking of the tragedy of Big L ALWAYS makes me mist up. Ain't NOTHING close to replacing him in rap, and I'm GLAD i was alive in his era.
peace to JMJ FOREVER
and so on.

the new generation of cats just isn't on the same level.

they don't make producers like J. Dilla no more.

cats gotta figure out how to evolve their tributes is all. don't just play 'Donuts' every year at this time
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

do you mean that people can't show love? or do you mean by the business side of things?

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

cenzi wrote:
do you mean that people can't show love? or do you mean by the business side of things?
I assumed he meant the business side...Ive got no prob w/people showing love, but honestly I could do w/out a Dilla beat on every new rap album released in the last 2 years.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

cenzi wrote:
I'm sure he means people making blends with him, using his beats on their albums, and even the whole Charles Hamilton thing. I completely agree. RIP.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

The Afronaut wrote:
cenzi wrote:
I assumed he meant the business side...Ive got no prob w/people showing love, but honestly I could do w/out a Dilla beat on every new rap album released in the last 2 years.
Definitely the business side of things; for example, Charles Hamilton claiming Dilla executive produced his album on Interscope. Shit like that needs to stop. But stuff like the J Dilla Foundation shows, marathons, and etc. have meaning to them because, not only was it for Dilla's finances but part of the intention was to give awareness to health.....particular with hip hop artists because its not enough education within it.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

ImageImage

Dusty Fingers

Post by Dusty Fingers »

hey ironically would anyone mind providing me with a link to donuts? preferably 320kbps please...
And if you're yelling out YOLO, I'm calling you a homo...

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

^^^ WTF? LOL. Dilla's name ain't even on it.

anybody that's not a hip hop head that she fucks, she's gonna have some 'xplainin to do

"you're a ruff draft of what?" :killacam:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

ardamus wrote: the J Dilla Foundation shows, marathons, and etc. have meaning to them because, not only was it for Dilla's finances but part of the intention was to give awareness to health.....particular with hip hop artists because its not enough education within it.
I feel that.

Has there been a significant reduction in his medical bills since everybody and their moms has a beat from him now though?

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

Dusty Fingers wrote:hey ironically would anyone mind providing me with a link to donuts? preferably 320kbps please...
Lol u dipshit

Stepfather

Post by Stepfather »

Dilla left behind a Mother...so as far as not letting him alone business wise, fuck that. Any $$ made goes directly to his estate. Besides everything Dilla makes usually sounds fuckin' amazing. So his product and name will always hold up. If it taints the way you see a dead mans image than check yourself. More money, more options, fuck a problem.
The Jizzer!!!

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

The Afronaut wrote:
cenzi wrote:
That's exactly what I meant, especially the mixtapes where they use a track from Donuts for the hundredth time.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

vermillion wrote:
cenzi wrote:
I'm sure he means people making blends with him, using his beats on their albums, and even the whole Charles Hamilton thing. I completely agree. RIP.
Yep...that's it exactly and I don't remember the Charles Hamilton thing, break it down for me please...

Sumthin_Funky

Post by Sumthin_Funky »

Dilla was born on the same day (feb 7) as me. :megaman:

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Jaz wrote:
vermillion wrote:
cenzi wrote:
Yep...that's it exactly and I don't remember the Charles Hamilton thing, break it down for me please...
He lied about Dilla's involvement on his "free" album that was supposedly coming out on Interscope. Ma Dukes never heard of him and cats from the Dilla's camp and etc. wasn't feeling that. House Shoes put him on blast on youtube. Homie lost his deal and disappeared.

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

ardamus wrote:
Jaz wrote:
vermillion wrote:
cenzi wrote:
He lied about Dilla's involvement on his "free" album that was supposedly coming out on Interscope. Ma Dukes never heard of him and cats from the Dilla's camp and etc. wasn't feeling that. House Shoes put him on

blast on youtube. Homie lost his deal and disappeared.
:roll: :roll: what an idiot, good work at the cats from Dilla's camp and House Shoes.

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/i9QYv9XBMHI&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/i9QYv9XBMHI&hl ... 2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

supnick

Post by supnick »

http://www.xxlmag.com/online/?p=70039

"lost interview" w/ dilla from around 2004
Me, myself, I hung around regular ass Detroit cats. Not the backpack shit that people kept putting out there like that. I mean, I ainג€™t never carried no goddamn backpack
r.i.p.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

The Afronaut wrote:
ardamus wrote: the J Dilla Foundation shows, marathons, and etc. have meaning to them because, not only was it for Dilla's finances but part of the intention was to give awareness to health.....particular with hip hop artists because its not enough education within it.
I feel that.

Has there been a significant reduction in his medical bills since everybody and their moms has a beat from him now though?
That I don't know. With all the support the Dilla estate has gotten, I hope so.

Money Daniels

Post by Money Daniels »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/efG7EJTS2sw&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/efG7EJTS2sw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

Money Daniels wrote:<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/efG7EJTS2sw&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/efG7EJTS2sw&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
:cheers: I haven't heard that one in a while.

LadyDeathStrizzy

Post by LadyDeathStrizzy »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
the new generation of cats just isn't on the same level.
in reference to Big L I completely agree.

RIP Dilla
word to yo motha....

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

J Dilla documentary, Pt. 1 by Stussy

Stussy has produced a 3-part documentary on J Dilla's life during his later years in Los Angeles, interviewing a few of the people he worked with in Los Angeles. Part 1 - Introductions - is here today. Part 2 (Detroit to Los Angeles) will be shown 2/17, and Part 3 (Donuts) on 2/24.
<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZLVtAZQixOA&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZLVtAZQixOA&hl ... 2=0x999999" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYvua4o2tmM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UYvua4o2tmM&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>