Sole Leaves Anticon Records

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

ackbar
Super Canadian

Sole Leaves Anticon Records

Post by ackbar »

http://www.soleone.org wrote:Sole Leaves Anticon Records

Today, with a heavy heart I end 11+ years of working with anticon. In the early days of the label, anticon was a pet project of mine, a life-long dream. We fulfilled the dream of a collectively run record label and put out many great records and stood as an image of defiance against the music industry. Those memories, I will always have and be proud of. Sadly, those times are gone, and I need to live in the present as I prepare for the future.

Leaving the company was not an easy decision, but it was made necessary by a number of factors. Upon returning to the states from a 2-year exile in Spain, I found myself increasingly at odds with the business end of anticon and began doing more DIY work via soleone.org. Running my own website and taking a more hands on approach with my art has always brought me great satisfaction and it is what I am choosing to return to. There are no ill feelings between myself and members of anticon. I will continue to work with many of the artists and will always love them as brothers and consider them allies. This is a decision to change the way my music will be exploited and adapt to shifting paradigms.

We created anticon as a response to what was going on at the time in the music industry - the indy boom of the late 90ג€™s. There were still a viable music industry then and people bought records. Thatג€™s how we built up our empire. The music industry isnג€™t just dying, but what it means to be a recording artist is changing. Technology is making everything cheap, and cheapening everything it touches. Soon the old ways of selling records will be a distant memory, along with magazines, working musicians and employed blue-collar dads. Itג€™s not a time to cry about the recession, or urge people to go to their local mom and pops and pick up the new sole & skyrider LP. Technology is working its magic, and instead of being a passenger on its ship, I have decided to plot a new course for myself.

The very fact that I have thrived in this environment still sometimes is a surprise to me. Iג€™m 32 today. I put out my first vinyl when I was 16. For me its always been about ethics & passion, doing what felt right in my core and acting on that, whether or not it was the popular or conventionally wise thing to do.

From now on now all my releases will be made available @ soleone.org via my new label Black Canyon Records and exclusively distributed worldwide via Revolver USA. There is an email newsletter list ton soleone.org, if you wish to be kept in the loop on my releases/updates that will be the best place.

Peace
Tim ג€œsoleג€ Holland

new contact info:
tim @ soleone dot org (press, booking, inquries etc.)
twitter.com/mcsole
facebook.com/timhollandsole
myspace.com/timholland
www.soleone.org

Stepfather

Post by Stepfather »

Why must you encourage?
The Jizzer!!!

Dids

Post by Dids »

How the fuck did you beat Employee to posting this? Does Anticon news get to Canada faster?

ape9

Post by ape9 »

Dids wrote:How the fuck did you beat Employee to posting this? Does Anticon news get to Canada faster?
:lol:

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

I think this was on his site a few days ago....

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Dids wrote:How the fuck did you beat Employee to posting this? Does Anticon news get to Canada faster?
http://masturbationstation.wordpress.co ... s-anticon/
Sole Leaves Anticon
February 9, 2010 by Employee

Dids

Post by Dids »

Life has meaning again.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Dids wrote:Life has meaning again.
TELL ME MORE ABOUT IT.

Moeses

Post by Moeses »

good riddance you fat whiny fuck
sorry babe i'm watchin' Futurama
so can't be bothered with thought of havin future drama

www.myspace.com/soulright
www.soundclick.com/youngmoe

Nathan Blaze

Post by Nathan Blaze »

L O L

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Moeses wrote:good riddance you fat whiny fuck
Someone's talking to himself again.

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

unbelievable dickhead

Post by unbelievable dickhead »

^ post/sig combo

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

He outlasted El-P.....He wins!

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Employee wrote:Image
:ohsh:

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

maybe i'm slow.. but i only half understand that post

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ackbar wrote:
maybe i'm slow.. but i only half understand that post
I'm not good at writing, really, at all. So it's not you, man.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

it's just all pretty cryptic

Julius Seizure

Post by Julius Seizure »

sole stays one step behind el p

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Did anyone think Anticon was still a label? I know I don't really follow them like some of the others on here (Ackbar, Employee) but wasn't the Darc Mind album the last thing they put out?

Also, whats the suicide rate for folks this week with the departure of Sole and the doors closing at Def Jux?

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Philaflava wrote: Also, whats the suicide rate for folks this week with the departure of Sole and the doors closing at Def Jux?
I tried with a bottle of extra strength Tylenol. Upon learning they were my grandmother's multi-vitamin, I knew I'd failed.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gWiv-r4aOo4&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gWiv-r4aOo4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Wyoming-based conscious hip-hop artists the Mystikal Knights of the Vizual Roundtable drop some knowledge, while keeping it underground, independent, and real. After the demo ends, two executives at Bring the Ruckus records wonder whether the Knights' mystical, magical style has a place on their label.

ackbar
Super Canadian

Post by ackbar »

Philaflava wrote:Did anyone think Anticon was still a label? I know I don't really follow them like some of the others on here (Ackbar, Employee) but wasn't the Darc Mind album the last thing they put out?
:lol:

i really don't follow them closely at all. i actually just listened to the last two why? albums this week.. they seem to be doing a lot on the fringes of the pitchfork/indie rock set more than hip hop these days (which is prolly a better fit for the label tbh). which could have played a part in sole feeling alienated on the label i guess?

The Iron Sheik
Loves Watching Lean On Me

Post by The Iron Sheik »

the week the music died

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

# sole Says:
February 11, 2010 at 12:08 pm | Reply

you know man, dont make shit up.

odd nosdam is my strongest supporter. one of them. he certainly isnt throwing boulders at me.

you are the essence of a blogger employee. making shit up.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

besides reading about the sole board on phila, i didnt realize sole or anticon was still making music.

lol at "consider them my allies" & "built my empire"

artMajor

Post by artMajor »

Moolah wrote:
Employee wrote:Image
:ohsh:
that sean?

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

steve-o?

Employee
Fast Eddie