No votes
Straight out the Jungle
No votes

Total votes: 100

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Pick your favorite Native Tongues LP

Post by Philaflava »

I included the important releases. No new era NT releases included on this one. If there is one that is not listed that you would like to vote for, just post your vote in this thread and then BOUNCE FAGGOT!

You are voting on your FAVORITE not the best. There is no right or wrong answer, well there is but you get my point.
Last edited by Philaflava on Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thun

Post by Thun »

PITPOR

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I voted for Low End, but this is just about the hardest pick your favorite poll one could make.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Let's see..

As much as i love the first 2 Jungle Brothers albums, it's difficult to listen to them now without unsettling images of Afrika Baby Bam popping up at unfortunate moments, and i like Tribe but not as much as i like De La with Paul or the first Black Sheep.

..Is Dead unfortunately has be discounted due to the sheer amount of skits you have to wade through, so it's between 3 Feet High.. or Buhloone Mind State (depends on mood and context which is the more preferable) and A Wolf In Sheep's Clothing here.

Tossed a coin and Black Sheep won.

Thun

Post by Thun »

I voted for PITPOR because to me it's pretty much the native tongue blueprint. Even though the other groups aren't featured on it, you can definitely sense that they were all in the studio while this was being made, that they were all crate digging and hanging out at clubs together during this time.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

PITPOR gets unfairly slept on because the follow-ups were so fucking monumental to hip-hop. That said, it might be borderline classic simply because of the production. I prefer the production on that album many days over LET. MM, BMS or WISC are my final picks. Now I just have to pick one out of them.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Whoa hold up ... might be borderline classic? PITPOR is an undeniable classic. Don't get it twisted, Gloss.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thun wrote:Whoa hold up ... might be borderline classic? PITPOR is an undeniable classic. Don't get it twisted, Gloss.
The production is, but something is missing to really put it over the top IMO. It's a very very good album. But it doesn't pack the same punch as the other two certified classics.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Philaflava wrote:
Thun wrote:Whoa hold up ... might be borderline classic? PITPOR is an undeniable classic. Don't get it twisted, Gloss.
The production is, but something is missing to really put it over the top IMO. It's a very very good album. But it doesn't pack the same punch as the other two certified classics.
GTFOH

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thun wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
GTFOH
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9w3_3T3U5g#t=1m16s

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

MM

step one

Post by step one »

MM
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

I'm fairly certain i'll be alone here but Done by the forces of nature and a wolf in sheep's clothing have always been my favorites. Voted WISC cause i'm less sick of it and might actually let it play if it came on my ipod.

supnick

Post by supnick »

low end

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

LOL @ the Chi Ali option.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Blockhead wrote:I'm fairly certain i'll be alone here but Done by the forces of nature and a wolf in sheep's clothing have always been my favorites. Voted WISC cause i'm less sick of it and might actually let it play if it came on my ipod.
Done By The Forces... is so slept on... not even funny.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I'm sorry but I just have a hard time listening to JB's these days. I'm not against gay artists cuz I own the entire R.E.M. and Elton John catalog but with rappers its a little different.

Thun

Post by Thun »

How is that any more effeminate than Blu's flow?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Thun wrote:How is that any more effeminate than Blu's flow?
Are you saying Blu spits like he has cack in his mouth?

aleph

Post by aleph »

I have to go with Thun here. PITPOR gets little love compared to the other two Tribe lps. The followups to both Tribeג€™s and De Laג€™s debuts were angry responses to the NWA fans who felt they couldnג€™t hang bc of the ג€œhippie shitג€ and as we all know, resulted in fisticuffs on tour. LET and MM go harder beat- and attitude-wise to show they toughened up after catchin fists and feelings. Losing innocence is necessary but I like the fact that PITPOR exists in that pre-hardcore vacuum, when (at least attitudinally) anything was possible.

Plus the music is so gorgeous, more so than the other two. The vibe feels much more Midnight than Marauders. And like Thun said, it is the most Native Tongues of the lot; by 93, I donג€™t think they were on speaking terms.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

The night is on my mind...

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

I love 'em all with the exception of the Queen Latifah and Chi Ali albums. I had to go with "De La Soul Is Dead".

How come you didn't include the L.O.N.S. albums, Jason?
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Philaflava wrote:I'm sorry but I just have a hard time listening to JB's these days. I'm not against gay artists cuz I own the entire R.E.M. and Elton John catalog but with rappers its a little different.

For the record, this type of stuff doesn't even cross my mind when I listen to the Jungle Brothers.

If anything, Baby Bam is just one of my favorite homos, along with Guru, Erick Sermon, etc.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Modded by Gloss.
Last edited by Mindbender Futurama on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

The dude from R.E.M. is gay, huh? Why am I not surprised.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Roy Johnson wrote:The dude from R.E.M. is gay?
Nah Michael Stipe loves puss.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Voted 3 Feet High & Rising.

cenzi

Post by cenzi »

Thun wrote:I voted for PITPOR because to me it's pretty much the native tongue blueprint. Even though the other groups aren't featured on it, you can definitely sense that they were all in the studio while this was being made, that they were all crate digging and hanging out at clubs together during this time.
do you remember the liner notes for JB's Done By The Forces? It included almost all the NT's plus Juju, Brother J, KRS, Prince Paul and bunch more I can't remember.. if that was your reasoning, then you should have picked this one.

:icedit:

I forgot this gem too:
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/cUIgLZ0d5-U&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/cUIgLZ0d5-U&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Doin' Our Own Dang (Do It To The J.B's remix) is the only good hip house song ever made.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Philaflava wrote:
Roy Johnson wrote:The dude from R.E.M. is gay?
Nah Michael Stipe loves puss.

the adventures of ackbar in tibet