Kanye West (feat. Jay-Z) - The Joy (prod. Pete Rock)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Kanye West (feat. Jay-Z) - The Joy (prod. Pete Rock)

Post by Icesickle »

This needs its own thread. So good. If only Common could find it in himself to drop a verse like he did on College Dropout on here. Kanye's second verse on here and his verse on "Start It Up" are two of my favorite verses of the year.

http://usershare.net/zpyioko9w4j7

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Yeah, I commented in the other thread, Kanye murders this track, some of his best shit in long time, surpised this isn't on the album.

step one

Post by step one »

Put it in the Kanye thread. Faggots get way too excited about Kanye's music.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

step one wrote:Put it in the Kanye thread. Faggots get way too excited about Kanye's music.

Shocked that you came into the thread to whine about something, you bitter old petulant bitch.

Putting you on ignore. At least Employee (RIP) was an entertaining troll.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Song is cool.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

Thun wrote:Song is cool.
:cheers:

I've noticed that you've been more open minded about new music (eg, your comments about Wacka and Nicki Minaj) recently. Why the change of heart, dun?

step one

Post by step one »

Icesickle wrote:
step one wrote:Put it in the Kanye thread. Faggots get way too excited about Kanye's music.

Shocked that you came into the thread to whine about something, you bitter old petulant bitch.
this is funny because you're most likely a complete pussy who'd wet himself at the first sign of any aggressive confrontation yet feel comfortable acting tough online.

song is boring as fuck. Kanye needs to not rap and just make beats for people who arent Jay Z.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

What'd you say?

step one

Post by step one »

Icesickle wrote:What'd you say?
what bit confused you?

Thun

Post by Thun »

Icesickle wrote:

I've noticed that you've been more open minded about new music (eg, your comments about Wacka and Nicki Minaj) recently. Why the change of heart, dun?
I've actually been listening to more of it! That makes a huge difference.

When I don't listen to music, I feel fine dissing it for no reason on message forums because it alleviates boredom. But when I actually give it a listen it feels too intellectually dishonest to just go the curmudgeonly route. Also, borkpackers are annoying. When I started writing for T.R.O.Y. again it made sense to breathe some life into the whole scene by acknowledging that rap is still alive and generative.

So yeah, you're going to see me contradict a lot of shit I've said around here in the near future, but it isn't due to some inversion of personal taste, just a change in listening habits.

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Love this joint.

As far as new music, I have taken the same approach since 1999 ish. Some of it is good and some of it sucks, but NONE of it sounds like late 80's- mid 90's stuff. That is just a type of music that does not exist anymore.

I enjoy and like listening to newer music that is played on the radio here in NY. It has it's own lane. As long as you view everything within the context in which it should be viewed, without trying to force something to be what it is not, then you can enjoy.

MF ZACK

Post by MF ZACK »

It's good minus Cudi. Wish the whole album was like this jawn though :/

Can-U

Post by Can-U »

god, this is a whole new level of good from kanye imo

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Everything is going good except for step one in this thread. I forgot who used that sample before but regardless, shit is dope.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

Brougham33 wrote:Yeah, I commented in the other thread, Kanye murders this track, some of his best shit in long time, surpised this isn't on the album.
They probably didn't want to pay for the sample.

Thirteen

Post by Thirteen »

it's all right

Thun

Post by Thun »

pradadon wrote:Love this joint.

As far as new music, I have taken the same approach since 1999 ish. Some of it is good and some of it sucks, but NONE of it sounds like late 80's- mid 90's stuff. That is just a type of music that does not exist anymore.

I enjoy and like listening to newer music that is played on the radio here in NY. It has it's own lane. As long as you view everything within the context in which it should be viewed, without trying to force something to be what it is not, then you can enjoy.
Disagree with your sense that none of it is reminiscent of older work, or that it has to be enjoyed in some rigid, ultra-moder context or not at all.

EDIT: i think I may have misread what you wrote. Correct me If I did.

Thirteen

Post by Thirteen »

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBh59zryM6M?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/RBh59zryM6M?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

-SyLar-

Post by -SyLar- »

Nice kanye track i havent actually listened to kanye since his debut album. i only wonder if the rest of the album is along the same lines.

but on the real that Lootpack track is jumping! opened my eyes to some unknown

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Pete Rock just started spinning live on Da Beatminerz Radio for anyone interested in checking it out; http://www.ustream.tv/channel/BEATMINERZ-RADIO

-SyLar-

Post by -SyLar- »

nice one gonna record it

Odnet

Post by Odnet »

This track also sampled it:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GwvC6mcQUqs?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GwvC6mcQUqs?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

truthaddict

Post by truthaddict »

Masta Killa Track >>>>>>

odium-LSC

Post by odium-LSC »

-SyLar- wrote:but on the real that Lootpack track is jumping! opened my eyes to some unknown
:rofl:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I thought it was good but maybe not as good as some of you are making it out to be.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Thun wrote:
Icesickle wrote:

I've actually been listening to more of it! That makes a huge difference.

When I don't listen to music, I feel fine dissing it for no reason on message forums because it alleviates boredom. But when I actually give it a listen it feels too intellectually dishonest to just go the curmudgeonly route. Also, borkpackers are annoying. When I started writing for T.R.O.Y. again it made sense to breathe some life into the whole scene by acknowledging that rap is still alive and generative.

So yeah, you're going to see me contradict a lot of shit I've said around here in the near future, but it isn't due to some inversion of personal taste, just a change in listening habits.
<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z0_uMSd4xOM?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z0_uMSd4xOM?fs ... n_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="385"></embed></object>

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Thun wrote:
pradadon wrote:Love this joint.

Disagree with your sense that none of it is reminiscent of older work, or that it has to be enjoyed in some rigid, ultra-moder context or not at all.

EDIT: i think I may have misread what you wrote. Correct me If I did.
Well, I think most would agree that there are little or no songs that are sonically the same as tracks from the late 80's or early 90's. Don't get me wrong, songs are reminiscent, a la the "Sounds Like The 90's" series, but even those songs do not sound as if they were made during that period. They sound like they were made in 2010. They just have the spirit of the 90's. That was basically my initial point. One can be reminiscent, but that does not fully bring back something that is extinct.

As far as my second point, that is more me being caught up in my own mind more than anything. I do like, and in some cases love new commercial music that is played on the radio here in NYC. I just try to keep in separated categorically in my mind based on the lane it has created for itself. For example, a lot of people hate on Drake. I don't hate on him, because I respect him for what he does and the lane in which he resides. I don't compare Drake to Raekwon or an artist like that. I may compare Drake to Lil Wayne or Waka or Gucci, but I don't compare him to Black Thought or even Nas. It is two different lanes within the same genre. While that is a sad commentary in some ways, it's the only way I can tolerate listening to this newer music initially. It's kind of like how you said you needed to stop comparing everything to old Tribe songs.

I don't want to force that ideology on to others, because like I said, it might just be that I am just caught up in my own mind. Maybe that's what it takes for me to get into the newer commercial music. One could say that is lame, but it works for me and I can enjoy music that I otherwise would not have. It might work for others who have the same issue.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Word. I can get with that.

Another tactic, the one I've been relying on lately, is to deconstruct and look for influences, and view the newer song or artists as something that is rearranging influences, this helps me appreciate it more. Or not, if the influences are not honored or handled in a lazy uncreative manner.

-SyLar-

Post by -SyLar- »

@pradadon - You and i look at it the same way. explained it down to a tee

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo