The Roots!! What's your favorite album?

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

mikeymcee

The Roots!! What's your favorite album?

Post by mikeymcee »

Whatג€™s your favorite album of theirs?

Mine is def Things Fall Apart (which is a rad book too), and Iג€™m pretty stoked, I found the album on amazon for $3.99, if you donג€™t have the album yet pick it up! It sounds awesome since itג€™s digital now! http://amzn.to/debgIZ

Now I have to get the others digital tooג€¦welp.... see ya later money.

I.A.

Post by I.A. »

things fall apart or illadelph halflife

Thun

Post by Thun »

Am I the only one who liked their post-2000 material better?

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

I know this might sound crazy, but right now I think How I Got Over is my favorite.

Sumthin_Funky

Post by Sumthin_Funky »

Thun wrote:Am I the only one who liked their post-2000 material better?
Probably. Post-2000 ish was legit, but none of their material is fucking with Illadelph.

grass

Post by grass »

Do you want more???
Fuck that Serato MP3 shit! Keep it dusty!!!

Thun

Post by Thun »

Sumthin_Funky wrote:
Probably. Post-2000 ish was legit, but none of their material is fucking with Illadelph.
Never understood the fascination with that album. Shit has not aged well at all to me.

vinylpops

Post by vinylpops »

All of them.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

imo they were always better and much more fun as a performing act than as a recording artists, hence roots come alive has aged the best

real white people will agree with me
Last edited by drizzle on Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Sumthin_Funky

Post by Sumthin_Funky »

Thun wrote:
Sumthin_Funky wrote:
Never understood the fascination with that album. Shit has not aged well at all to me.
I just think lyrically Black Thought has never been more on point than that album.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

I have long been lambasted for holding this opinion about both The Roots and...wait for it...Nas (not including Illmatic). How I got Over is good but Game Theory and Rising Down are kinda great. Illadelph is dope but seems to have way more filler than their more recent albums. Do You Want More is just too young and exuberant to be my favorite Roots album since I am a bigger fan of their more mature work. Things Fall Apart is undoubtedly great but sometimes the rapping is lost in the shuffle, the lyrics stand out to me more on Game Theory and Rising Down. Who knows, maybe I just like hearing thought rap next to a wider variety of talented cats.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

ogie

Post by ogie »

things fall apart

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I've enjoyed ALL of The Roots album. Some took a little while to warm up to, but they've all been pretty consistent and innovating. I'd say Black Thought became better with age, but I still go back to DYWM or Illadelph as the go-to-album of choice.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Do You Want More, but probably only because it's the first one I listened to (got the Organix re-release later), and the one I listened to the most when it came out.

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

Thun the appeal in illadelph was the fact it was darker, they started to work synths in more, and malik b and black thought stepped it up with better chemistry. The aggressive material ("Clones", "respond/react") was dope and so was the more melodic jazzy stuff ("episodes" and "what they do" with the classic rap parody video).

That said things fall apart is my favorite roots album followed by illadelph. "Organix" was a tolerable base a prelude to what was to come from them.

Icesickle
Suburban Outfitter

Post by Icesickle »

I'm in the "Roots Post 2000" contingent. Game Theory and How I Got Over are more focused, lyrically and musically, than any of their pre-millenium work. Black Thought keeps on topic more often than he used to and his cadence and flow are better and the albums ebb and flow in a cohesive way instead of coming off like a CD full of randomly organized, unrelated tracks.

Game Theory > How I Got Over > Things Fall Apart > Rising Down > Illadelph.

GLUS

Post by GLUS »

Game Theory

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Things Fall Apart, and if you asked me a year or two ago I wouldn't have said this, but Game Theory is probably a close second.

Captin Planit

Post by Captin Planit »

Icesickle wrote:Game Theory > How I Got Over > Things Fall Apart > Rising Down > Illadelph.
Just about, except Things Fall Apart and How I Got Over are interchangeable, depending on the day. Black Thought's one of a select few that got better with age. Also feel like the records felt heavier over the years, and that's one of the things that always hurt Illadelph for me. I know this will probably get :naswtf:'d with the quickness, but that record sounds a lot thinner than the later releases.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

I.A. wrote:things fall apart or illadelph halflife

pukaface

Post by pukaface »

I'd say Illadelph as well.
I think a tape of their jam sessions might be greater than their whole discography. Just me.

A Kid

Post by A Kid »

this.

Game Theory and Rising Down are both crazy, and How I Got Over is dope too but i liked the edge on the other two.

i like the harder sound tho, it also gives Thought more personality to me because he was never ferocious on the mic like he has been these last few albums..always sounded like he was just riding with the band. i like all their albums tho regardless, maybe Phrenology the least.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

Things Fall Apart

...but their post 2000 work has gotten more listens from me in the past couple of years.

No other hip hop artist/group has been able to adapt and evolve as successfully as the Roots. I can't name another emcee or group who held things down in the early to mid nineties that I respect as much TODAY as the Roots.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

Do You Want More and it's not even close. Nostalgia plays a big part.

Versive

Post by Versive »

drizzle wrote:imo they were always better and much more fun as a performing act than as a recording artists, hence roots come alive has aged the best

real white people will agree with me
WORD

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

pukaface wrote: I think a tape of their jam sessions might be greater than their whole discography. Just me.
nah i'm with this, see my first post in thread. that's why i stick with roots come alive. i recall there being a few good unofficial live bootlegs too, might need to dig that up
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Post by 780 »

illadelph

I.A.

Post by I.A. »

i loved every roots album besides rising down. i was very disappointed in rising down because i have loved everything before that n just wasnt feelin it. but black thought may be the most consistent mc of all time in my opinion. never falls off and is timeless

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

780 wrote:illadelph

Large Marvin

Post by Large Marvin »

Not one album I can think that i didnt like..... I might like The Tipping Point the most to be honest...