Pharoahe Monch

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Pharoahe Monch

Post by Philaflava »

When you consider the level of talent, do you consider him the biggest waste?

You may immediately think of Eminem, but say what you will about his post ג€™00 music, he still delivered 2

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

damn that bad? i've heard good reactions, and not just from the okplayer set. there's got to be at least a few good songs on there right?
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Desire was dope

i avoided w.a.r. because of the promo, but from what i heard he still has it.

i can get past some corny hooks and weak beats if the lyrics are strong enough

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Personally, I liked all 3 solo albums; and don't argue with me about it either (looking at you, Gloss).....each album had its problems but they were good and had some dope tracks. Yes, drizzle, there a few good songs on there. Its actually better than Desire, IMO.

If Monch was a waste, he would've done what most rappers with talent do. Commit a crime and get locked up with no parole. Or fade out in obscurity getting the "what ever happened to him?" treatment. He's honestly ahead of cats from the golden era that have fallen to those points.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

ardamus wrote:Personally, I liked all 3 solo albums; and don't argue with me about it either (looking at you, Gloss).....each album had its problems but they were good and had some dope tracks. Yes, drizzle, there a few good songs on there. Its actually better than Desire, IMO.

If Monch was a waste, he would've done what most rappers with talent do. Commit a crime and get locked up with no parole. Or fade out in obscurity getting the "what ever happened to him?" treatment. He's honestly ahead of cats from the golden era that have fallen to those points.
this

the new album is pretty dope, better than 'Desire', and better than a lot of hip hop that will come out in 2011.

hate if you want, and hate Monch if you want.

improve on his failures if he's so flawed

he's got serious asthma, i don't expect him to push himself as far as other dudes in this shit
(we were backstage once at a Phaorahe Monch show and he asked that nobody smoke anything, no weed or cigarettes, near his change room, cause it would make him sick. it's a fair request. dude raps about almost dying on the new album, check the song 'Still Standing')

rap is outta control
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

so besides struggling internet rappers, do fans still like him?

Busta Ry

Post by Busta Ry »

I think that WAR is a return to form, of sorts, for Pharoahe.
It's true that there is some unrealised potential when you think about his album catalog, but it's hard to compare his career trajectory to many. Who do you compare him with, Q-Tip? I'm talking about rappers who started out as the more creative part of a duo and went on to moderate (or any) success as a solo act while maintaining a level of critical praise.
While Pharoahe certainly has the ability to do more with his talent, it's hard to imagine a situation where he would have the hunger to match that. That said, I've like all 3 LP's as well. I also think that this one is better than "Desire".

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I wouldnג€™t compare him to Q-Tip because Tip was always just a good rapper in a great group. He was never a top anything. He was great at what he did, but certainly nobody would dare put him a top 10 lyricsts discussion. He maybe your top 10 favorite rapper but in terms of pure lyrical ability, Monch was and always been on another level.

A few other top 10 possibilities could have been Ras Kass.

Thun

Post by Thun »

Why aren't we allowed to argue over the quality of his music again?

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

I don't know if it's just managed expectations or unacceptable personal taste, but I haven't felt too negatively about any of the solo releases. Desire wasn't what I was expecting or hoping for, but after listening to it a fair amount I felt like I had a better grasp on listening to it on what I took to be it's "own terms", and for the most part I feel like he successfully achieved what he was going for, even if that wasn't what I wanted from him.

FWIW I also think Desire had more wide appeal than he would have achieved without changing what he was doing at all. While aurally there aren't any similarities, overall, IMO the response wasn't entirely unlike the blowback Tui got here for Girls Like Me.

(edit: the comparison being that both of them had first solo albums that people here liked a lot, but a follow up of the same thing would be a little anachronistic in the modern "marketplace", despite some folks here wanting exactly that).

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Philaflava wrote:I wouldnג€™t compare him to Q-Tip because Tip was always just a good rapper in a great group. He was never a top anything. He was great at what he did, but certainly nobody would dare put him a top 10 lyricsts discussion. He maybe your top 10 favorite rapper but in terms of pure lyrical ability, Monch was and always been on another level.

A few other top 10 possibilities could have been Ras Kass.
easily del

and nas for me, even though he still writes a good song every now and then. actually i give nas a pass
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

from the milk carton thread:
Reason wrote:i was just thinking

few rappers have fallen off worse than del

he has a golden voice for rap, he's 'funky' as hell, and he's got a unique way with words

but he's too fuckin busy doin lsd to get a grip on his music career

just listened to i wish my brother george was here and no need for alarm

god he was so good
Reason wrote:<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/U93d1LAcApI?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/U93d1LAcApI?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/u9vimihLXCU?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/u9vimihLXCU?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

by the way, his rhyme style and verses on catch a bad one are like a west coast pharaohe monch

casual obv. rhymes the same way, the whole hiero style, but del's voice is more versatile/musical

also catch a bad one is easily a top 50 rap song ever, it's a west coast know the ledge in some respects and in the whole vibe of it

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ihraCCCrpk?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-ihraCCCrpk?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Nets 2022

thebohdan252

Post by thebohdan252 »

pharoahe has always been on point, but his recent beat selection is horrible

he needs an A&R or to do an album with a single good producer

Dap

Post by Dap »

pharoahe needs to rap over hard ass beats again. not this shit with r and b hooks. his new shit is too spiritual and positive and shit kinda like saigon. idk thats just of a quick first listen of this album. i didnt' like the beats much

Thun

Post by Thun »

If Monch made music similar to his Organized Konfusion stuff now he'd be blasted as a canon-fetishizing traditionalist purist nazi.

That said, I don't care for this last two albums much. They aren't unlistenable, though, just a different mode than we're used to. A mode I don't care t hear much but I imagine it has an appeal wider than deaf fanboys.

I'd listen to his three solo albums over Phonte Fraggle any day.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Monch >>>Eminem

I have realized that I do not share Monch's taste as far as the overall projects he wants to make. I want him to rap over harder beats and also, push himself further in terms of MC'ing and his production choices. He obviously wants to push the singing and instrumentation angle more, along with concepts that sometimes just don't grab me.

That said, he has never put out anything even remotely wack. It's just not what I want (and possibly not what many of his fans want, either) but there is attention to the craft and plenty of integrity there, so I can't say I hate it just because it's not what I want him to do.

This as opposed to someone like Common who clearly has abandoned things like "respect for the craft", "integrity" and "creativity" in favor of whatever straws can be grasped to pay for his next pedicure.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Thun

Post by Thun »

^Well said.

I confess that when Desire came out I overreacted and backlashed a bit. That was foolish of me.

zombie

Post by zombie »

I listened to WAR

I like it.

KITFUNK

Post by KITFUNK »

Haven't heard WAR yet, but I thoroughly enjoyed IA and Desire. Internal Affairs is one of my favorite records ever, and Desire was dope.

the dead poet

Post by the dead poet »

Desire was dope.

I've only heard black hand side from the new album and that song was dope as fuck. Will be listening to album tomorrow on way to work now.
http://www.soundcloud.com/rafael-jesus-martinez" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

^^^ bredren, forget the internet opinion and listen to WAR. Top 3 album of 2011 thus far. Not perfect, but it's an actual ALBUM. And I've been playing my favorite songs off it since I got it. Can't say that about most other releases from this year.
Philaflava wrote:so besides struggling internet rappers, do fans still like him?
:rofl: hella petty, Jason.

you don't know my status in life, guy. and i don't know yours, which is why i won't talk shit about your actual life.

i'm good.

same way Pharoahe Monch is good. it's hilarious to revise history like Monch didn't intermittently alter the entire fucking sonic wavelength of rap since 1991.

remember this wackness?

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AUn1u9SYdCQ?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AUn1u9SYdCQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

yeah i hated it too. hot garbidge :rofl:
Philaflava wrote:so besides struggling internet rappers, do fans still like him?
:rofl: hella petty, Jason.

you don't know my status in life, guy. and i don't know yours, which is why i won't talk shit about your actual life.

i'm good.

same way Pharoahe Monch is good. it's hilarious to revise history like Monch didn't intermittently alter the entire fucking sonic wavelength of rap since 1991.

remember this wackness?

<object width="480" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/AUn1u9SYdCQ?fs ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/AUn1u9SYdCQ?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="390"></embed></object>

yeah i hated it too. hot garbidge :rofl:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dubs

Post by dubs »

^first double single post ever?
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

dubs

Post by dubs »

thebohdan252 wrote: he needs an A&R
"Monch is a monarch only minus the A & R."
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

Sucka Ducka

Post by Sucka Ducka »

I still love Monch, but "I Shot The Mayor" is still one of my favorite tracks of his and it is one of the first I heard of him as a solo emcee, so.. yeah, I guess he could have had a much better career.

People on my facebook newsfeed calling this new album a "classic" lmao. I am looking forward to listening to it but Im not holding my breath. I didn't hate "Desire" though, but it left something to be...desired... "Internal Affairs" was dope though.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Mindbender, Gloss made it clear that he was talking about the last decade. Nobody is saying his OK music is anything but classic.

Desire was ok and I have no interest in listening to the new album.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

dubs wrote:^first double single post ever?
I read it like a verse.

Versive

Post by Versive »

These are my reactions after listening once:

Monch is the best singer in hip-hop.
The man still spits classic verses.
A lot of these beats could go.
Wish the album was longer.

Wicked
Location: Bay Area, CA >www.MHzRadio.com< >mixcrate.com/wicked< >wicked22@aol.com<

Post by Wicked »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:Monch >>>Eminem

I have realized that I do not share Monch's taste as far as the overall projects he wants to make. I want him to rap over harder beats and also, push himself further in terms of MC'ing and his production choices. He obviously wants to push the singing and instrumentation angle more, along with concepts that sometimes just don't grab me.

That said, he has never put out anything even remotely wack. It's just not what I want (and possibly not what many of his fans want, either) but there is attention to the craft and plenty of integrity there, so I can't say I hate it just because it's not what I want him to do.

This as opposed to someone like Common who clearly has abandoned things like "respect for the craft", "integrity" and "creativity" in favor of whatever straws can be grasped to pay for his next pedicure.
This is on point and I agree 100%.
"Wicked = Genuinely loves Hiphop and respects it because he grew up during the time when it wasn't full of southern mongoloids and Lil Wayne rappers. From his mixes you can tell he knows his shit. The problem is, when you are a smart dude preaching to a bunch of fucking morons, you end up getting singled out as the douche."

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

What are the best tracks?

Wicked
Location: Bay Area, CA >www.MHzRadio.com< >mixcrate.com/wicked< >wicked22@aol.com<

Post by Wicked »

HomeSkillet wrote:What are the best tracks?
The best tracks are whatever YOU think the best tracks are... It's all opinions, BRO.

I could tell you what I think the best tracks are and someone else could tell you his/her best tracks which could be totally different then mine.

Just listen to the album and decide for yourself...
Last edited by Wicked on Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Wicked = Genuinely loves Hiphop and respects it because he grew up during the time when it wasn't full of southern mongoloids and Lil Wayne rappers. From his mixes you can tell he knows his shit. The problem is, when you are a smart dude preaching to a bunch of fucking morons, you end up getting singled out as the douche."