PF Wasted Talent

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

PF Wasted Talent

Post by Philaflava »

We always have threads about talents wasted, but for a change, let's discuss who on :phila: is wasting away and why.

Being that the term wasted talent is harsh and we don't want to discourage anyone (too late), let's attempt to be positive and offer some constructive criticism. Which we know we only lead to rappers getting hyper defensive and claiming we're all jealous of not having the ability in rapping or that we're an arm chair A&R.

Okay, so which rappers/posters have the talent but are not going about it in the right way?

Be honest. Be fair. Be yourself.

{double banger in process}

Dap

Post by Dap »

this will be fun.

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Re: PF Wasted Talent

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

Philaflava wrote:We always have threads about talents wasted, but for a change, let's discuss who on :phila: is wasting away and why.

Being that the term wasted talent is harsh and we don't want to discourage anyone (too late), let's attempt to be positive and offer some constructive criticism. Which we know we only lead to rappers getting hyper defensive and claiming we're all jealous of not having the ability in rapping or that we're an arm chair A&R.

Okay, so which rappers/posters have the talent but are not going about it in the right way?

The idea that the artists in question would ever find this to be a constructive exercise is fairly amusing.
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

Despot. Lazy.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:Being that the term wasted talent is harsh and we don't want to discourage anyone (too late), let's attempt to be positive and offer some constructive criticism. Which we know we only lead to rappers getting hyper defensive and claiming we're all jealous of not having the ability in rapping or that we're an arm chair A&R.
:lol: ok
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ardamus wrote:
Philaflava wrote:Being that the term wasted talent is harsh and we don't want to discourage anyone (too late), let's attempt to be positive and offer some constructive criticism. Which we know we only lead to rappers getting hyper defensive and claiming we're all jealous of not having the ability in rapping or that we're an arm chair A&R.
You are very dope. You have a really good mic presence and your vocal is great for da raps, but you lack the punch. It's not that you're not edgy enough (see street), it's that you seem to stay in that narrow lane you've been in forever. Less Kweli and more Monch and I'd sign you to Maybach Music in a heart beat.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

is this the right thread to suggest iggle should pioneer the captain's hat styled snapback
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Philaflava wrote:
ardamus wrote:
You are very dope. You have a really good mic presence and your vocal is great for da raps, but you lack the punch. It's not that you're not edgy enough (see street), it's that you seem to stay in that narrow lane you've been in forever. Less Kweli and more Monch and I'd sign you to Maybach Music in a heart beat.
Thank you for the criticism but, I want you to remember you said this for later on down the road. I'm not going to say anything else in this thread. Time to lurk.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Baiting thread is 'bating.

self

Post by self »

Blockhead wrote:Baiting thread is 'bating.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

self wrote:
Blockhead wrote:Baiting thread is 'bating.
<object width="560" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hetaBX00wtI?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hetaBX00wtI?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

COOLEHMAGAZINE

Post by COOLEHMAGAZINE »

A more interesting topic would be what happened to the almighty Thun
http://coolehmag.com/frontEnd/
http://twitter.com/#!/coolehmag

I'm from the lost black tribe of Israel, the Yos.

DLG

Post by DLG »

what is stik figga doing?

that guy was dope as hell

siLLy KiD

Post by siLLy KiD »

are we allowed to say sean? or is he excluded?

self

Post by self »

Philaflava wrote:We always have threads about talents wasted, but for a change, let's discuss who on :phila: is wasting away and why.

What would the criteria be for not going about it in the right way?

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Tui - More referring to yourself in the 3rd person, as "Tui".

Mike Eagle - Embrace your Crucial Conflict origins.

Blockhead - Make some beats that don't make black people cringe.

Hustle Crowe - Find a way to become a part of Maclethal's entourage.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

COOLEHMAGAZINE wrote:A more interesting topic would be what happened to the almighty Thun
:cheers:

i wonder about that brother, sometimes. no homo, LOLOL

go ahead, guys. say my name, say my name like Beyonce. i know someone wants to. :lol:

oh yeah that's right, y'all think i have no talent :rofl:

i'm not done with rap. i have different goals this year than i ever did. and i got enough of a story to sell something interesting now. and Mindbender makes more sense in 2012 than my stuff ever did. Lil Wayne made it cool for weird aliens to spit bars :ignore:

uh, i wanted to hear more from Cash Rulz. where did he go? :killacam:

and I still want to hear that Trademark dis song he supposedly made, LOL

i'm running a marathon, not a sprint, FYI.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

:roll:

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender Futurama wrote: i have no talent
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Thread is now about...

gentlejones

Post by gentlejones »

i think ardamus is doing it just right.

so long as someone is making things with a passion their time or effort can never be wasted. the only waste of talent is inactivity.

when you find something you love, when you choose a craft to master, all of your efforts culminate in creation. conception. this is part of living a rich life. to grow old being proud of your children. isn't that the dream.

sometimes folks making things get famous. sometimes they don't.

you can't fault an artist for being obscure. i am to this day finding records from the 60s 70s 80s of cats i have never heard before who are fucking amazing.

some people live and die and no one notices the difference.

leave something behind. leave lots of somethings. create more and more, and reflect on your creations, and build upon the insights gleaned from the process. make these things as well as you can with what you have.

and maybe one of these things will one day light up someone's life. but maybe they won't.

so what?

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

DLG wrote:what is stik figga doing?

that guy was dope as hell
Yes.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Mindbender Futurama wrote: uh, i wanted to hear more from Cash Rulz. where did he go? :killacam:
I still rap. Can't help it, I'm an emcee. I'm even attempting to finish an album for once. But I'm 38 so at this point, my goal is in no way, shape or form to "make it" as an emcee. In fact, that hasn't been my goal for quite a few years now.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

gentlejones wrote:i think ardamus is doing it just right.

so long as someone is making things with a passion their time or effort can never be wasted. the only waste of talent is inactivity.

when you find something you love, when you choose a craft to master, all of your efforts culminate in creation. conception. this is part of living a rich life. to grow old being proud of your children. isn't that the dream.

sometimes folks making things get famous. sometimes they don't.

you can't fault an artist for being obscure. i am to this day finding records from the 60s 70s 80s of cats i have never heard before who are fucking amazing.

some people live and die and no one notices the difference.

leave something behind. leave lots of somethings. create more and more, and reflect on your creations, and build upon the insights gleaned from the process. make these things as well as you can with what you have.

and maybe one of these things will one day light up someone's life. but maybe they won't.

so what?

The difference is Ardamus is not content with his career right. All that talk you spew is find and dandy if you're Mindbender and you're doing this for the love and finding ways to get by.

Ardamus still works a 9-5. Still hates the man. Still is severely underpaid. Still shares a line-up card. Still struggles with sales, fan base support and name awareness.

That's not to say he's failed as an artist. Quite the opposite. This post wouldn't get made if he didn't have the talents to expand his career. Maybe I'm wrong and Ard is perfectly content with things now and has no desire to do anything else. But probably not.

He has the make-up to further advance, but his subject matter almost parallels his posting, which is rather trivial. And I know I have a history of going back n fourth with Ardamus but I genuinely like him a lot and do believe he is a really good rapper. It's not that he is apart of that DMV scene or doesn't tough talk on record. Like I said, he has the make-up, but sometimes lacks the punch. Not every rapper is the same, but the good ones are similar in their DNA.

Charisma. Storytelling. Delivery. Voice. Good Production.

And just so you know I didn't create this thread because of Ardamus. Drizzle's response about Meyhem sparked it.

The Afronaut

Post by The Afronaut »

What changes would give Ardy this "punch" that you speak of?

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

The Afronaut wrote:What changes would give Ardy this "punch" that you speak of?
A youtube video of him punching a cop in the face and advertising his album while he was being chased. :lol:

Its difficult for the underground emcee when you have such a big focus on content. He's really just going to have to keep doing what he's doing and eventually more and more people will hear about him. Keep it real, most people just don't check for new artist anymore. You have to get "put up" on a cat. As long as he's prolific and stays on his local grind and constantly keeps his current fan base updated on on his new shit, eventually it will come for him.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

And Phila, I think your post in response to GJ is the reason why some cats will feel some kinda way about post like these. What you're doing in that post is stating the obvious. So it can come off like clowning a dude. If the point of this was to offer constructive criticism, then give some. Tell him (or any other artist) specifically what you think they should do. Put them in touch with someone. Because otherwise, this post is "yeah, [insert poster name here] can rap and all, but he's never going to make it".

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

He sounds way confined when he spits. It's a little too tame to be illustrious IMHO.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to be a little more charismatic. I'm certainly not comparing the two, but when OME raps, his words are often magnetic.

What do you think Afronaut about him (Ardy)?

gentlejones

Post by gentlejones »

rick rubin would perk up anybody's record. you work with what you've got

in the motown heydays NOBODY made a record by themself

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Cash Rulz wrote:And Phila, I think your post in response to GJ is the reason why some cats will feel some kinda way about post like these. What you're doing in that post is stating the obvious. So it can come off like clowning a dude. If the point of this was to offer constructive criticism, then give some.
Totally, but sometimes its hard to separate the two, especially if there is a long-standing history of that on PF. I've tried to be calculated in my responses so it doesn't come off as if I'm clowning for the sake of clowning. Some of my constructive criticism isn't something that can change with the help of others, rather with the artist themselves.