New Kanye Rant; Yeezus Album

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Combo7

Re: New Kanye Rant; Yeezus Album

Post by Combo7 »

sleazy_j wrote:
Combo7 wrote:Re: That Mike Dean interview: I wonder if he actually likes this shit or if he secretly thinks it's corny and wack as hell and is only in it for the check.
he's doing a reddit AMA tomorrow; that's a good question.

He could never admit the truth if he actually isn't feeling this shit. There was a moment in that Huff Post interview (12:19) where the dude asked him who his favorite artist to work with was. Dean starts cracking up, briefly spits out "Kanye," then starts talking about Daz and Kurupt in great anecdotal detail.

the Wiper

Post by the Wiper »

Jayou Ayen wrote:Is page 13 the official return of the asswipe?
fair enough. i feel you. i'm not usually this outspoken, especially here...

though...i think yall kinda got stuck on what/where/who/how good 'music' is/was/can be made. :omar:

the Wiper

Post by the Wiper »

just let what is, be.

just b/c it doesn't fit into a neat little box don't mean it ain't good music.

/back to lurking

p.s. MEMORIES DON'T LIVE LIKE PEOPLE DO, THEY ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU. WHETHER THINGS ARE GOOD OR BAD, IT'S JUST THE MEMORIES...THAT YOU HAD.

peace

Req

Post by Req »

the Wiper wrote:just let what is, be.

/back to lurking

p.s. MEMORIES DON'T LIVE LIKE PEOPLE DO, THEY ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU. WHETHER THINGS ARE GOOD OR BAD, IT'S JUST THE MEMORIES...THAT YOU HAD.

peace
F.U. MOOLAH

starks

Post by starks »

overrall not a great album, but it certainly has great moments. the acid/techno vibe is cool to me and hudmo always delivers. i think if ye rapped a little better the album would be a lot better but i agree he's never been a "bars" type. i think why it falls a little flat is the intensity sounds forced at times. it's funny regardless of the anger and dark vibes he's clearly still got some of the MBDTF phase in him with the poppy melodic breakouts and autotune. chief keef and king l are dope but underutilized. the absence of big sean and the rest of g.o.o.d. is also welcome. third best album after late registration and MBDTF.

step one

Post by step one »

the Wiper wrote:

peace

Poetry. Im going to get this tattooed on the inside of my left thigh.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

GhostDog wrote:Album is a mess. Total lack of cohesiveness. Not sure what Ye was thinking with the random dancehall/reggaie thrown in there. Felt out of a place. Way too much autotune too.

So do we blame Kim for this? :lol:

"New Slaves" and "Bound 2" are really the only tracks I like.

No plans to listen to this again any-time soon. This might be a one and done.

Watch Pitchfork give this thing a 10.

Close. 9.5. :owens:

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

the Wiper wrote:
Random Sample wrote:This is literally one of the worst albums I have ever listened to.
might wanna caress those jedi mind tricks records from the late 90's cousin.
Kanye always got a pass for his shitty rapping because his beats sounded good.

It's obvious that he is lazy now and doesn't make beats anymore. This might say Kanye produced some of these, but this has Hudson Mohawke all over it.

Uninspired Hudson Mohawke throwaways + shitty Kanye Raps = shitty album.

binary

Post by binary »

Holy fuck, this album really sucks.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

the Wiper wrote: p.s. MEMORIES DON'T LIVE LIKE PEOPLE DO, THEY ALWAYS REMEMBER YOU. WHETHER THINGS ARE GOOD OR BAD, IT'S JUST THE MEMORIES...THAT YOU HAD.
p.p.s. MEMORIES ARE FOR FAGGOTS
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

indianaJ0nes

Post by indianaJ0nes »

I don't even know how I feel about this album yet but the response is hilarious. My Facebook feed is straight comedy. Reviews call it great. The majority of people hate it but the ones that like it, at least in my realm, like good music. Always gotta give the dude respect for doing something different and moving the conversation along.

The Ivy League Nigga

Post by The Ivy League Nigga »

Pitchfork wrote:And though he could've likely chosen any rapper on earth to guest on the riotous "Send It Up"-- probably the most likely, if not only, chance Yeezus has for a rap-radio hit-- he chose Chicago's relatively unknown King L. His presence, along with that of fellow Chi-town driller Chief Keef, makes the message clear: America may want to ignore these young black men from the gang-strewn South Side, but here, they have a voice.
Wat? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://www.spin.com/reviews/kanye-west- ... a-def-jam/
The vengeful second section is more pro-forma Spitta vs. Gold Digga-baiting. Because no matter how many multi-millions, numbed-nuts, and stroked lingams later, these brothers can still sustain the venom and traumatized innocence necessary to sell fame's most horrific discovery: Some women only want to pleasure rap's nouveau riche for the cheddar.
Still, West's deployment of "Strange Fruit" isn't quite as blasphemous a post-Civil Rights analogy as Lil Wayne's recent, more sordid attempt to turn Emmett Till's hellacious post-mortem visage into a sex-romp metaphor, and it's way more musical to boot. The moments at song's end when West's robo-falsetto and his Holiday stand-in's sampled refrain share the soundstage is pure plaintive bliss.
Later on, he'll more openly voice his retro-Afro-Futurist aesthetic motivations in verse form: ''My mind moves like a Tron bike / Pop a wheelie on the zeitgeist / Fittin' to start a new movement led by the drums / … / They be ballin' in the D-league / I be speaking Swag-hili." Swag-hili? Did he just define his whole career as a visionary lingua franca and genre right there? You gotdam betcha he did. And with as brilliant a neo-African neologism as we've heard since Boogie Down Productions let us know there were ''Robo-Coptic Boys'' among us.
Now, the Black Panther Party — and not the Civil Rights movement — actually owns bragging rights to the revolutionary fist West alludes to here. But hip-hop's bailiwick has never been historical accuracy so much as tipping over sacred cows with transgressive gusto, so in purely lyrical terms, that line is a rude-boy masterpiece. We'll assume the S&M-type fisting that West details went on between consenting adults, and that one night the role-playing redefined Black radical pleasure. Offensive as this lyric's hyperlink of eros and movement-history may be to some, critiquing other grown-folks' sex games is even more unsavory in our book.
:err: / :lol:

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Req wrote:
the Wiper wrote:just let what is, be.

/back to lurking

peace
THIS RIGHT CHEA

Kanye still high off the fact that him sampling some dancehall for last year's "Mercy" still resonates with hipster-tainted peoples looking for the next trendy little subculture to exploit and/or extract credibility from, which remains Jamaican dancehall music. "Bound 2" gave us some of the chipmunk soul we wanted, but 3 times on the album, he's like "me Kanye Wess, mon! me can dweet, and dem cyan stop me!"

and yo, I like weird music and I make weird music. but this is weird for the sake of seeking attention, kinda like a despotic, nihilistic, dystopian Lady Gaga concept album. AND THAT'S FUCKIN WACK, YO

most of this "weirdness" feels like it has no context or meaning to the reason it's different. it just is for the sake of it, which is the weakest type of "artistic experimentation". Rick Rubin was more right than Kanye West is about the real cohesiveness and unity of this album. Regardless that the rhymes are nearly unacceptably basic for 85% of the project and easily are Kanye's worst collection of rap verses, the PRODUCTION of this album remains very stellar and stunning.

Note, I said 'the production', NOT 'the beats'. Most of the beats are rickety half ass excuses for beats. Hipster disaffection reached into the MPC with its microdick in its hand, and ejaculated contempt for b-boy tradition.

this album is too short, rushed, probably missing 6 or 7 other songs he recorded but changed his mind on (I've never wanted a Pusha T verse to appear so badly) and too unfocused for me to enjoy seriously. This is Kanye West's "Blueprint 3" for me. Sub-par, but still with a FEW redeemable moments, like 'Blood on the Leaves' is 'Already Home', but there isn't much else that can be saved.

just because it doesn't fit in a box doesn't mean it IS truly innovative and repeat-listen-worthy good music

"Swaghili" is pretty funny though. I don't want to hear ANYONE EVER. SAY IT IN SERIOUS CONVERSATION... but that shit is kinda jokes. Still, as a rapper, he's FAR from the top of his game.

delusion is a hell of a drug to do while you're on cocaine

Kanye's trying to appeal to haute couture white folks and dirty south black kids in the same moment
:killacam: :naswtf: :killacam:
Last edited by Mindbender Futurama on Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

the whole notion of 'this deserves praise simply for being different' is retarded. if he recorded fart noises that would be different too, and in some ways arguably more novel considering his production 'innovations' here are fairly derivative.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

drizzle wrote:the whole notion of 'this deserves praise simply for being different' is retarded. if he recorded fart noises that would be different too, and in some ways arguably more novel considering his production 'innovations' here are fairly derivative.
way to sum up my brilliant blathering, bro :cheers:
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

The expanded thoughts of myself and my bros in the SYFFAL famalay:

http://www.syffal.com/kanye-west-yeezus

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

You need to school your boy Tim Baker on comma splices.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Employee wrote:The expanded thoughts of myself and my bros in the SYFFAL famalay:

http://www.syffal.com/kanye-west-yeezus
Jay-Z pensively questioning his allegiance to this freakshow he's essentially created
Ha. Yup. :cheers:

Bonus Jokes:
Also what's up with that screaming? I heard that is a recording of Kanye's reaction when he found out Kim was pregnant.
:rofl:
Kanye trying, and failing, to make this new shit work in concert, while charging a buck twenty-five to get in the door. Fuck you Kanye.
HOW REAL IS... THIS

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

i'm pretty sure m.i.a. made this album a couple of times already..

Trademark
oil baron swaggasaurus

Post by Trademark »

I wanted to like this shit. I really wanted to try. Worst album to date.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

it will be rather telling of the state of Jay-Z and Kanye's relationship if there are no Kanye West beats on 'Magna Carter Holy Grail' :killacam:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Magna Carta Holy Grail is the biggest middle finger in the world right now.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:it will be rather telling of the state of Jay-Z and Kanye's relationship if there are no Kanye West beats on 'Magna Carter Holy Grail' :killacam:
:bunk: :naswtf:

they already talking about watch the throne 2

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Unless they are each guaranteed huge paydays from WTT2, that album will never see the light of day; much less be worked on (nh @ "be worked on").

AWAE

Post by AWAE »

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainmen ... -i/276919/
The Shocking Poignance of Kanye West's Yeezus
Could his most abrasive release yet actually be a sweet fable about true love?
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ALASKA

Post by ALASKA »