Wu-Tang Clan - A Better Tomorrow (2014 Album)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

TheTed

Wu-Tang Clan - A Better Tomorrow (2014 Album)

Post by TheTed »

This didn't seem to have a home anywhere else, so apologies if there's a better thread for this but it seemed to warrant its own.

A LOT of sources are now reporting that there's going to be a new Wu album released in July to mark the 20th anniversary of Enter The Wu-Tang, and will apparently be called 'A Better Tomorrow'.

:wutang: :wutang: :wutang:
Last edited by TheTed on Tue Nov 04, 2014 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

Neuro

Re: Wu-Tang Clan - A Better Tomorrow (2013 Album)

Post by Neuro »

:wutang: :wutang: :wutang: :wutang: :wutang:

DLG

Post by DLG »

I never got why it's hard for them to all get in the studio together and bang some shit out instead of coming in one by one and recording and pasting verses onto r-za beats like the last one. it's not like it's a logistical problem, probably just laziness and simply not enjoying each other's company any more.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Try arranging a meet-up with any of your buddies who are all in their forties and then you'll understand.

D. James

Post by D. James »

Spartan wrote:Try arranging a meet-up with any of your buddies who are all in their forties and then you'll understand.
This is their livelihood though.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Other than royalty checks, If you totalled up the amount of time they've been recording and touring as a group and compare that to the years they've been doing their own thing or other side projects. The latter is their actual livelihood.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

D. James wrote:
Spartan wrote:Try arranging a meet-up with any of your buddies who are all in their forties and then you'll understand.
This is their livelihood though.
Many of them are living very comfortably. Plus nothing happens without Bobby and we all know if anyone out of the crew has gotten bigger and stayed paid, it's him.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

if this is something they though up last month and have to turn in next month, i'd rather them not do it at all tbh
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Versive

Post by Versive »

The title might be that, but they've been talking about doing a 20th anniversary album since last year. I remember Ghost voicing something similar to what you just said though -- that he doesn't want to just throw something together because it's the 20th; he'd rather them put the work in and get it right even if that means the album doesn't get released in 2013.

Historically, he's had the most executive power and creative input next to RZA so it's possible that they'll take his lead. That being said, all of the past 3 Wu-Tang albums (W, Iron Flag and 8 Diagrams) have been widely considered disappointments upon release, but all have stood the test of time... especially The W.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

DLG wrote:I never got why it's hard for them to all get in the studio together and bang some shit out instead of coming in one by one and recording and pasting verses onto r-za beats like the last one. it's not like it's a logistical problem, probably just laziness and simply not enjoying each other's company any more.
And add in the fact there's always some weird underlying story of so-and-so being owed money by Wu. I agree though, they could easily knock it out and not everyone has to be on every song.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

Neuro wrote::wutang: :wutang: :wutang: :wutang: :wutang:
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

drizzle wrote:if this is something they though up last month and have to turn in next month, i'd rather them not do it at all tbh
actually, I disagree. there is only ONE 20th anniversary, and the Wu-Tang anniversary is arguably the most important milestone in hip hop history thus far (except for the 25th anniversary of "It Takes A Nation of Millions" that Public Enemy kinda sorta just celebrated but didn't officially)

they can't let this pass without celebrating it in some musical manner. it would ONLY be STUBBORN FUCKING EGO that stops anything from being created. These are grown ass men with not many other serious pressing career concerns to our knowledge, except for maybe GZA teaching astronomy at NYU or RZA writing a script for his next movie... as it was said, they need to just suck up the fucking brotherly quarrels and business complaints and start throwing darts into the fucking chamber.

Method Man said it best: "Who else in music has kept the same job for 20 years? We owe it to the fans to give them one last great Wu-Tang album, all together."

Rakim FUCKED UP ROYALLY when he didn't put out his "Seventh Seal" album out on 7/7/2007 like he said he was going to. He put it out months later, and nobody really gave a fuck. Sure, not many hipster douches would have given a fuck even if he DID put it out on 7/7/2007, but the point is: the universe would have been working in his favor to support that album more than he knows.

If Wu-Tang doesn't put out a 20th anniversary album, when should they put out something? The fact that ODB isn't alive is part of the reason that it's so fucking important to commemorate the anniversary of the first 'Enter the 36 Chambers' release.

And in 2013, hip hop culture CRUCIALLY NEEDS an album from some grown ass Black men who are dreaming of "A Better Tomorrow" for us all.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Versive

Post by Versive »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
Rakim FUCKED UP ROYALLY when he didn't put out his "Seventh Seal" album out on 7/7/2007 like he said he was going to. He put it out months later, and nobody really gave a fuck. Sure, not many hipster douches would have given a fuck even if he DID put it out on 7/7/2007, but the point is: the universe would have been working in his favor to support that album more than he knows.
I was under the impression that this board along with everyone else in the world was engaged in an unspoken agreement to pretend THAT album doesn't exist and never did. As far as I'm concerned "Holy Are You" is a random loosie. May we never raise this matter again.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

What the fuck happened to the ignore button?

I Smell Like Un Kasa

Post by I Smell Like Un Kasa »

Combo7 wrote:What the fuck happened to the ignore button?
I had over 40 users on ignore, now I'm forced to deal people like Mindblender again, it ruins the quality of this forum.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

talk :wutang:

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

i read in an interview if they do it rza wanted it to be orchestral instead of samples.. which could be good or bad.. i actually liked 8 diagrams.. and 12 reasons to die gives me new hope for that.. in some ways rza's a more original non sample composer than adrian younge..

honestly though i want samples.. but i could easily be proven wrong..
illegal mind shoe lace

Jaz
Ease Up

Post by Jaz »

I'm looking forward to this album for the most part :wutang: can still bring greatness, I think RZA should let outside producers like Adrian Younge, Pete Rock, Oh No, Madlib, Large Professor and J-Zone for example on the album.

I also would love to see a box set, deluxe version of Enter The :wutang: with all of the remixes, B-Sides, Alternate versions and unreleased tracks.

DLG

Post by DLG »

Jaz wrote:I'm looking forward to this album for the most part :wutang: can still bring greatness, I think RZA should let outside producers like Adrian Younge, Pete Rock, Oh No, Madlib, Large Professor and J-Zone for example on the album.
Rza actually killed it pretty hard for most of 8 Diagrams I thought, he's not the problem. The problem was the phoned in verses that were for the most part uninspired and put together with zero chemistry. Method went off a couple times on the album, but just about everyone else sounded lazy as fuck.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

^spot on. they were really hurting for verses it seems. GZA, rae were particularly disappointing. if not for meth it would be embarrassing.

RZA should drop these losers and produce for action bronson
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

I remember U-God sounding surprisingly decent on 8 Diagrams.

I like all the Wu-Tang group albums.

step one

Post by step one »

Mindbender Futurama wrote:
:rofl:
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I Smell Like Un Kasa wrote:
Combo7 wrote:What the fuck happened to the ignore button?
I had over 40 users on ignore, now I'm forced to deal people like Mindblender again, it ruins the quality of this forum.
I was not aware the button was no longer working.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

EichTurner wrote:i read in an interview if they do it rza wanted it to be orchestral instead of samples.. which could be good or bad.. i actually liked 8 diagrams.. and 12 reasons to die gives me new hope for that.. in some ways rza's a more original non sample composer than adrian younge..

honestly though i want samples.. but i could easily be proven wrong..
yeah, it's a hit and miss. hip hop overall still hasn't perfected and mastered the art of mixing instruments and samples and MCs together, but certain groups have found certain levels of success with some formulas.

I was a bit worried when RZA said he wanted "orchestra and live band shit" for the new Wu album, because that's just risky, and depending on RZA's mood, who knows what he will select: some kinda lazy, but grimy, eerie retread of something he's done before, or will he get inspired by divine ripe creation and concoct a 'White Dress' type joint? one never knows...

THE ALBUM SHOULD START OFF WITH SOME KUNG-FU VOCAL SAMPLE, THAT'S ALL I GIVES A FUCK ABOUT
even just take a chunk of John Woo's movie dialogue, and then GO IN RA :wutang:

Combo7 wrote:I remember U-God sounding surprisingly decent on 8 Diagrams.

I like all the Wu-Tang group albums.
:cheers:

:leon:

I liked 'Iron Flag' the least, actually. Too simple and stripped down for my baroque tastes. But it's still not wack.
EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:^spot on. they were really hurting for verses it seems. GZA, rae were particularly disappointing. if not for meth it would be embarrassing.

RZA should drop these losers and produce for action bronson
first sentence: YES! :grin: '8 Diagrams' wasn't wack, it was too fucking advanced for most people's impossible expectations from a Wu-Tang album. It was weird as hell, but in a good way. Go back to those songs, and they are not ATROCIOUS, they just capture them ninjas in a major transition. It was grim as fuck because ODB had died and their collective power, attention and legacy was going in various directions so they were kind of lost... which is why so many of the MCs sounded uninspired. I swear Raekwon has one of his most phoned-in verses of all-time on that album, and it perplexes me to no end to hear them so unsynchronized mentally and musically... over such potentially interesting production. "Sunlight" is fucking dope, and "Campfire" is hotness. "Watch Your Mouth" is DIRTY and DISGUSTING hip hop, and this song here? "Windmill"? FUCKING :copy:

second sentence: SHAOLIN TEMPLE BLASPHEMY OF THE HIGHEST SATANIC BABY-RAPING CALIBER
:evil:

but i know you're smoking crack and joking so :lol:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

yes sunlight is amazing. "allah is the father of all how can you doubt him?"

last month a bartender put on action bronson on her ipod and i made fun of her til she shut it off
1. Nas
2. Drake

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:yes sunlight is amazing. "allah is the father of all how can you doubt him?"

last month a bartender put on action bronson on her ipod and i made fun of her til she shut it off
in real life, you are the kind of person i would be proud to have as my friend. :cheers:

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Escobar305 wrote:
The Wu-Tang Clan's 20-Year Plan
http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2013 ... -year-plan
:cheers:

holy shit did Loud ever drop the ball on Inspectah Deck's solo album.

if that came out when 'Ironman' did... :wutang: :copy:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

^ :cheers:

npr article is cool. RZA's 5 year plan is one of the most impressive achievements in hip hop. it's been said over & over but he is behind all the best wu albums. dudes need to get back on the bus.
1. Nas
2. Drake

EichTurner

Post by EichTurner »

@mindbender: campfire is genius. yeah honestly i like rza's composed stuff on 8 diagrams more than i like a lot of the roots stuff like you said i'm not sure composed stuff has really been perfected yet.. i still prefer samples..
illegal mind shoe lace