Artists You Love That People Passionately Hate

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

ackbar
Super Canadian

Artists You Love That People Passionately Hate

Post by ackbar »

hopefully not overkill on this topic. i feel there's a few people who can get mentioned & predict respect for 7L/Esoteric, Talib Kewli & Yal Ballz..

{b}Buck 65[/b]
this guy was the forefront of "art-rap". his beats are incredible to this day. the way he shaped albums was like mixtapes. his early shit is like edan in a lot of ways

Chingy
great artist. although he'll be forever group w/ one hit wonders like jibbs i think he has talent. right thurr & one call away are obvious commercial standouts. he followed in nelly's footsteps who i think isn't worth mentioning b/c people should be aware of his career. chingy was tight w/ dj quik

Big Noyd / Lakey
i was gonna just post lakey then i figured noyd still deserves more props no matter what. infamous mobb too. lol. all these dudes are the NY version of the ignorant thug rappers dinosaurs hate in 2013

2Pac
i know on most forums this entry would be unnecessary. not on :phila: tho. there's a reason every golden era rapper loves tupac. dude was able to take complex emotions & summarize them in the simplest of terms. most importantly he worked with ill as fuck producers & rappers. who else put C-BO on the most anticipated rap album ever

mud

Re: Artists You Love That People Passionately Hate

Post by mud »

Saigon
Nas post-Illmatic
"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

ackbar wrote:hopefully not overkill on this topic. i feel there's a few people who can get mentioned & predict respect for 7L/Esoteric, Talib Kewli & Yal Ballz..

{b}Buck 65[/b]
this guy was the forefront of "art-rap". his beats are incredible to this day. the way he shaped albums was like mixtapes. his early shit is like edan in a lot of ways

Chingy
great artist. although he'll be forever group w/ one hit wonders like jibbs i think he has talent. right thurr & one call away are obvious commercial standouts. he followed in nelly's footsteps who i think isn't worth mentioning b/c people should be aware of his career. chingy was tight w/ dj quik

Big Noyd / Lakey
i was gonna just post lakey then i figured noyd still deserves more props no matter what. infamous mobb too. lol. all these dudes are the NY version of the ignorant thug rappers dinosaurs hate in 2013

2Pac
i know on most forums this entry would be unnecessary. not on :phila: tho. there's a reason every golden era rapper loves tupac. dude was able to take complex emotions & summarize them in the simplest of terms. most importantly he worked with ill as fuck producers & rappers. who else put C-BO on the most anticipated rap album ever
:rofl:

step one

Post by step one »

Game.
Not everything by any means but Born In The Trap, 100/200/300 Bars & Runnin, Duck Down, Dreams, Hate It Or Love It, Why You Hate The Game, Pain remix and a few others are all very dope. The constant namechecking doesnt really bother me. If you only have one song of his in rotation per year then its not really that annoying. Also, if Dre had managed to drop Detox with a load of Game/G Unit features around 04/05 it couldve been a great album.

Common.
As covered in the one of the other threads. Again, I dont like all his stuff but I'm more interested in a new Common record than a Jay Z one these days.

Jadakiss.
Been on autopilot the last couple of years (and his albums arent as good as they should be etc) but between 97 and 2009 I always had something of his in rotation, whether it be freestyles, features, LOX stuff or solo joints. Definitely in my all time Top 10.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

ian e

Post by ian e »

I LOVE Fantastic II by Slum Village.

That being said, I dont care for their post-Dilla material as it were the beats which made that record stand out. I understand the Dilla "hate" tho... since every faggot with a habit for ugly shirts and even uglier hats allegedly got his life changed by the man. But thats not his fault. I think, his beats for Jaylib were insane. And Fantastic II is just a fun and very well produced record for the summer.

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Ja Rule. looking back the hate wasnt fair at all - combination of being an east coast dude with delivery influenced by other regions, (which has been selectively cool since jay. most notably with 50, whos made softer songs)
50 shaming him publicly,
making his share of corny crossover shite, something people are willing to forgive others for eg jada, fab, near every NY dude on a major from that time that wasnt dmx. big part of thats their attempts were unsuccessful so didnt become ubiquitous annoyances. in fact he actually made way better albums than ethm - Venni Vetti Vecci especially

step one

Post by step one »

Ja is a good shout. Hated most of his hits at the time but they dont sound so bad these days when you're not hearing them 24/7.
'Loose Change' was a great dis track that couldve ended the targets' careers if they werent Em, Dre & 50.
Be interesting to see what happens once he gets out of prison (he's still locked up right?)

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Yeah Loose Change is nice alright, hes kinda a victim of circumstance. I think hes still in prison, not sure.

Im ashamed I ever had a problem with someone who floated round in a hot air balloon with Ashanti. That DMX/jay/ja supergroups one of the few that wouldve worked really well too.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Definitely dislike every artist mentioned in this thread thus far. I'd say it's a success.

Combo7

Post by Combo7 »

2Pac's only good songs are "Brenda's Got a Baby" and that one with all the East Coast rappers featured on it.

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Larry2times wrote:Ja Rule. looking back the hate wasnt fair at all - combination of being an east coast dude with delivery influenced by other regions, (which has been selectively cool since jay. most notably with 50, whos made softer songs)
50 shaming him publicly,
making his share of corny crossover shite, something people are willing to forgive others for eg jada, fab, near every NY dude on a major from that time that wasnt dmx. big part of thats their attempts were unsuccessful so didnt become ubiquitous annoyances. in fact he actually made way better albums than ethm - Venni Vetti Vecci especially

:err:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ackbar wrote:hopefully not overkill on this topic. i feel there's a few people who can get mentioned & predict respect for 7L/Esoteric, Talib Kewli & Yal Ballz..

{b}Buck 65[/b]

Chingy

Big Noyd / Lakey

2Pac
Your texture is so varied.

ardamus
O.G. Status

Post by ardamus »

Lately, any of the Native Tongues collective on here (I'm excluding Baby Bam from Jungle Brothers since he was in make-up and making new music that I can't fuck with lately). Apparently, they're whiny and shit.
"tim dog! i hope he's scamming bitches in heaven.." - EichTurner

Larry2times

Post by Larry2times »

Not liking Rapper Noyd, whats the drilly with that dunn

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

ardamus wrote:Lately, any of the Native Tongues collective on here (I'm excluding Baby Bam from Jungle Brothers since he was in make-up and making new music that I can't fuck with lately). Apparently, they're whiny and shit.
:lol:

POTW.

GUCCI

Post by GUCCI »

post HNIC 1 prodigy

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Larry2times wrote:That DMX/jay/ja supergroups one of the few that wouldve worked really well too.
Murdergram and the joint from Ja's debut are really great songs. Jay fuckin flips on both.

PEACE

GUCCI

Post by GUCCI »

to expand on the ja rule choice, I honestly think ja rule is more talented than 50 cent...

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

GUCCI wrote:to expand on the ja rule choice
:pause:

GUCCI

Post by GUCCI »

Employee wrote:
GUCCI wrote:to expand on the ja rule choice
:pause:
:larry:

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

Sole

Busdriver

Illa Ghee

step one

Post by step one »

GUCCI wrote:to expand on the ja rule choice, I honestly think ja rule is more talented than 50 cent...
I think this is the general consensus. Then again alot of rappers are more talented than 50.

GUCCI

Post by GUCCI »

step one wrote:
GUCCI wrote:to expand on the ja rule choice, I honestly think ja rule is more talented than 50 cent...
I think this is the general consensus. Then again alot of rappers are more talented than 50.
well since 50 "won the battle", its not necessarily a general consensus...

and I don't even mean ja is more lyrically lyrical than 50, I think on a commercial level, his music is just better

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Ja was the fucking worst. 50>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> in every way possible.

step one

Post by step one »

it is. 50's strength was his gangsta stuff which is why everyone gradually stopped giving a fuck when he insisted on dropping all those shitty radio joints

Employee
Fast Eddie

Post by Employee »

A case in defense of Ja Rule is mounted (nh @ "Ja Rule" and "is mounted").

:bunk:

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

ja rule was actually better before that Murder Inc bullshit. but most of you didn't know him until then anyways.

GUCCI

Post by GUCCI »

Employee wrote:2013.

A case in defense of Ja Rule is mounted (nh @ "Ja Rule" and "is mounted").

:bunk:
ja rule made some catchy music, it's undeniable...he had a good run, don't front on him...

also, his older more street oriented shit like the aforementioned murdergram is good shit too

GUCCI

Post by GUCCI »

Philaflava wrote:ja rule was actually better before that Murder Inc bullshit. but most of you didn't know him until then anyways.
are you referring to his cash money click material?

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Philaflava wrote:ja rule was actually better before that Murder Inc bullshit. but most of you didn't know him until then anyways.
He was always pretty meh, imo. He definitely got WAY worse once he got with Murder Inc though.
Drag-on>>>>>>