The perfect album

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

The perfect album

Post by Philaflava »

Like many of you, I found myself listening to an abundance of ATCQ this weekend. While my feelings don't change one bit, this weekend further cemented the fact I was right 7 years ago.

Midnight Marauders is the perfect album. It might not have the better songs like LET, but it's flawless. There isn't another album quite like it IMO.

http://www.thetroyblog.com/2009/01/30/security-blanket/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We all had security blankets growing up whether you realized it or not. Though it’s technically considered a blanket you sought for comfort as child, in many cases we had a specific place or thing we’d cling to for those very reasons too. The feeling of being reassured time and time again, never to be let down and to know once you had that blanket or went to that place you were in your own little utopia.

While I have many personal favorites such as Amerikkka’s Most Wanted, Supreme Clientele, One For All, Death Certificate, Illmatic, Low End Theory and Breaking Atoms, there is one album I constantly find myself going to and that is Midnight Marauders. This is my security blanket, musically speaking of course.

A Tribe Called Quest had tremendous success in music, more so than most hip-hop groups when you consider they started in ’88 and are still making music today, sporadically that is. Their first three albums are arguably all classics in the true blue sense. When Tribe stepped on the scene many folks dismissed them for being soft or doing what many thought were artsy (alternative) hip-hop music. And even though you had groups like Jungle Brothers and De La Soul doing the same thing, neither of those groups have spawned more clones than ATCQ.

Tribe was definitely more than just pioneers of this rap shit, their blueprint is what most rappers study today. Whether you turn on the radio and hear Kanye or check out the blogosphere for your latest Blu, The Cool Kids, Little Brother or Shawn Jackson track, it is essentially A Tribe Called Quest revisited. With the abundance of blogs, blog rappers (which just means rappers that only exist on blogs) or the sparse underground scene these days, the music you hear is just a borrowed chapter in the A Tribe Called Quest biography.

Which takes me back to topic at hand, Midnight Marauders is the most cohesive album I have ever heard in my lifetime. It’s so rare to honestly say you enjoy every track on an album. I know today I’m lucky if I can pick out a handful of tracks on new releases I enjoy. Midnight Marauders is different, it’s one of those albums you can let ride from start to finish and when you’re done, you let it ride again. It embodies everything that made me love hip-hop. It takes me back to a place that I miss dearly, a time in music unfortunately I do not believe we’ll ever see again.

So when I’m stressed out, loungin’ in my house on a Sunday afternoon or when I just listened to a string of underwhelming albums that I’ve invested too much time, money or hard drive space into, I know one thing that can change all that. An album that is timeless and that never disappoints no matter the situation. And while some of you may prefer Low End Theory (which is perfectly acceptable), it’s Midnight Marauders that is my security blanket.

Whether its ’93, ’03 or 2013, this album will always be there for me. It’ll never let me down and with each listen, which is now probably somewhere in the tens of thousands, I will never grow tired of what I like to think is Tribe’s Magnum opus.

Rhyme 4 Rhyme

Re: The perfect album

Post by Rhyme 4 Rhyme »

Also prefer this over LET. Both classics obviously, but listen to this significantly more.

Hair of the Dog

Post by Hair of the Dog »

I thought this was going to be about the new Young Thug jamz....

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

Lord Willin' >>>

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

i think MM got like 4 or 5 totally boring tracks on it. I prefer their two previous albums greatly. Just saying.

Mindbender Futurama
Y.O.T.M.B.

Post by Mindbender Futurama »

I think 'Low End Theory' is slightly superior. Busta Rhymes shoulda dropped a verse on 'Midnight Marauders' instead of just the hook for 'Oh My God!'. I like how 'Midnight Marauders' takes you to heaven with the last two songs, and the whole damn thing is pretty perfect, but I just prefer the surprises like Diamond D, Sadat X and Lord Jamar on 'Show Business', creative songs like 'Infamous Date Rape', the tear-inducing joy of 'Vibes and Stuff' and the numerous awesome basslines on the album, such as 'Excursions' and 'Buggin Out'. 'Steve Biko' is a classic way to start an album, but the understated beauty of 'Excursions' gently leads me on the perfect sonic journey, until the very last 'what-tigga-what!' Love 'em both, but I lean towards 'Low End Theory', and that's the head I'll be til I'm dead :bow:

ATCQ forever
You're in Heaven right now, God.
Create the universe you dream of.
http://www.mindbenderlovesyou.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

step one

Post by step one »

Escobar305 wrote:Lord Willin' >>>
:fail:

Has 3 mixes of the same song. Even Clipse weren't entirely happy with it and said the label rush released it.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

step one wrote:

Has 3 mixes of the same song.
:naswtf: its 'grindin' tho :arrow:

step one

Post by step one »

That's what singles are for. Read the other part of my post you complete fucktard.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

remove 2 and you still got 13 songs fuck boi....perfect album

step one

Post by step one »

If you have to take songs off that kind of defeats the point.also, if the people that made the album say it's flawed how much of an idiotic dick riding faggot fan boy do you have to be to suggest otherwise?

Also, Ma I Don't Love Her is shitty.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

they added bonus songs/remixes :bunk:

'ma i dont love her' still sounds heavenly...try again, fuck boi

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

I'd say Infamous is in this category for me. It's a no-skip rainy day album. On the 'comfort blanket' tip, it tends to go into heavy rotation in darker days and definitely alleviates some of the stress that those times can bring.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

seagrams hotsauce

Post by seagrams hotsauce »

Also what on MM is 'totally boring'? I can understand liking the first two albums more, but usually people knock it for being poppy, not dull.
Gucci Condoms wrote:I'm a "convicted rapist" tho

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

step one wrote:

Has 3 mixes of the same song. Even Clipse weren't entirely happy with it and said the label rush released it.
This was always my argument in HHNF vs LW convos too. LW has great songs but it's basically an extended single for Grinding with bonus tracks.
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

seagrams hotsauce wrote:I'd say Infamous is in this category for me. It's a no-skip rainy day album. On the 'comfort blanket' tip, it tends to go into heavy rotation in darker days and definitely alleviates some of the stress that those times can bring.
I'm with you, but I also opt for The War Report over The Infamous on days. Crazy I know. Both stellar.

Escobar305

Post by Escobar305 »

drizzle wrote:
step one wrote:

This was always my argument in HHNF vs LW convos too. LW has great songs but it's basically an extended single for Grinding with bonus tracks.
Intro, Young Boy, Virginia, Comedy Central, Cot Damn, Im Not You, Gangsta Lean, Ego?

I LOVE HHNF, but LW is far from just an extended single....

step one

Post by step one »

Escobar305 wrote:
drizzle wrote:
step one wrote:

Intro, Young Boy, Virginia, Comedy Central, Cot Damn, Im Not You, Gangsta Lean, Ego?

I LOVE HHNF, but LW is far from just an extended single....
LW has good songs. Its not a perfect album though which is the whole purpose of this thread. Pretty sure something hugely important needs to be said in the Drake/Meek Mill thread so maybe you should be monitoring events over there right now in case Meek's other another unpaid street team member is busy.

(HHNF was massively over hyped and is hugely overrated though)

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

Philaflava wrote:
seagrams hotsauce wrote:I'd say Infamous is in this category for me. It's a no-skip rainy day album. On the 'comfort blanket' tip, it tends to go into heavy rotation in darker days and definitely alleviates some of the stress that those times can bring.
I'm with you, but I also opt for The War Report over The Infamous on days. Crazy I know. Both stellar.
what kind of psycho do you need to be for "the infamous" to be your comfort blanket?
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

step one wrote:(HHNF was massively over hyped and is hugely overrated though)
No.

Post by 907 »

OB4CL >>>>>
hustler wrote:if you don't know that spiders protect you from ghosts, then i really dont know what to tell you.

CRASH DDZ

Post by CRASH DDZ »

Escobar305 wrote:
step one wrote:

Has 3 mixes of the same song.
:naswtf: its 'grindin' tho :arrow:

:killacam: Makes a point. :arrow:

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Obviously whole album is great but the a Chase Pt 2/Lyrics To Go/God Lives Through sequence is just outrageous.

Career Over Like Mike(NJJ)

Post by Career Over Like Mike(NJJ) »

Street Gospel by Suga Free.

Versive

Post by Versive »

EMCEE DARTH MALEK wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
what kind of psycho do you need to be for "the infamous" to be your comfort blanket?
:lol: