thoughts on this album? (wrath of the math)

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

thoughts on this album? (wrath of the math)

Post by Philaflava »

madstadik

Re: thoughts on this album?

Post by madstadik »

Personally I enjoyed it. Wasnt as good as sun rises but a worthy follow-up. Beats suited jeru's flow. Me not the paper was a dope remix

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I think Sun Rises had better songs, but this is probably the better overall album.

Soren

Post by Soren »

I'm not your average....

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Classic. How are you going to go wrong with Premier in the mid nineties? You have to be a literal retard.

Now when the next one came out and I saw Jeru produced it I was sure it was gonna be trash. It wasn't, imo.

Also, Jeru is an abnormally short person.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

KhillA wrote:Classic. How are you going to go wrong with Premier in the mid nineties? You have to be a literal retard.

Now when the next one came out and I saw Jeru produced it I was sure it was gonna be trash. It wasn't, imo.

His third album was actually good? I've never heard it.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

KhillA wrote:Classic. How are you going to go wrong with Premier in the mid nineties? You have to be a literal retard.

99.9% was nice, but I don't recall the rest of the album being all that memorable.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

I was just saying it wasn't trash bc if it were you'd remember

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Love it, I could still listen to it as much as his debut and I remember times I did back when it came out. One of the moments that marked the evolution in Premier's production that showed the signs incredible things were about to follow, which eventually did during his incredible mid to late 90's run.

I like the darker approach of some songs, especially a song like One Day and How I'm Livin which was one of those sinister joints that awoke me during late nights being half-asleep trying to stay up listening to Stretch and Bob on KCR. I had the promo poster for the album and my current avi on Twitter is Jeru's signature on the back cover of Gangstarr's Hard To Earn. He signed it for me during an in-store for Wrath Of The Math in Herald Square here in Manhattan NYC.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hellriser

Post by hellriser »

Beats are great and better than sun rises...

step one

Post by step one »

Is there any truth in the story about Puffy trying to get this blacklisted?
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

fatboybrandon

Post by fatboybrandon »

Don't know for sure about Puff's feelings. I could imagine Puff mighta been pissed behind the scenes when this album dropped, especially from the message of One Day. I remember thinking about the harsh truth of that song when there was a bomb scare at the in-store for the release Wrath that I went to here in NYC. It was the first in-store emergency situation I've witnessed where people were instructed to line up outside and meet the artist.

It was cool that Jeru's voice had so much power and influence against the bling era at the time! Premier also said Biggie was mad at One Day and took his anger out on Jeru and Afu on the song Kick In The Door.
Audio: Organized Konfusion Interviewed by DJ Riz & WildMan Steve, 1994 http://bit.ly/stress1994" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Good album but not exactly a classic , imo.
The beats were great (it was prime era Primo so, you know, obviously) but I felt like Jeru regressed a little as a rapper (not sure if it was laziness or that some of the quirks that made him interesting on his debut were more fleshed out on this and he came off corny at times). He still did his thing but there were some real eye roll moments throughout this album. Still, no denying it being a dope album but , to me, it doesn't really fuck with his debut.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

Blockhead wrote:Good album but not exactly a classic , imo.
The beats were great (it was prime era Primo so, you know, obviously) but I felt like Jeru regressed a little as a rapper (not sure if it was laziness or that some of the quirks that made him interesting on his debut were more fleshed out on this and he came off corny at times). He still did his thing but there were some real eye roll moments throughout this album. Still, no denying it being a dope album but , to me, it doesn't really fuck with his debut.
I always thought that for the most part Jeru's unique delivery made up for the quirks in his lyrical content. I def understand what you mean with the eye roll moments tho.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

^For sure. And on the first album, those quirks seemed like he was doing them on purpose but , on this one, it felt more like "ohhh...you're actually just kind of a moron sometimes".

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Moron or not, One Day is still fucking hilarious.

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

please provide an example of a quirk for reference

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Just the general implication that Hip-Hop (Biggie) was some helpless retard and Puffy was the devil incarnate exploiting him.

Plus, Jeru rolls out to LA to bring Hip-Hop back and just when shit gets real interesting, he runs out of bullshit and ends it abruptly with "when we got there, everything was aight / and we brought Hip-Hop back that night". Same way a little kid would end it when he gets bored telling a story.

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Meet me at d&d in "an" half an hour :fail:
Last edited by madstadik on Thu Dec 01, 2016 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Spartan wrote:Just the general implication that Hip-Hop (Biggie) was some helpless retard and Puffy was the devil incarnate exploiting him.

Plus, Jeru rolls out to LA to bring Hip-Hop back and just when shit gets real interesting, he runs out of bullshit and ends it abruptly with "when we got there, everything was aight / and we brought Hip-Hop back that night". Same way a little kid would end it when he gets bored telling a story.
Def coulda been ill as a 2 or even 3 verse song. At the time I dont think jeru rolling out to LA and bringing hip hop back east without drama is very believable. I mean dude called out fake gangsta rappers (presumably from the west) just a couple years earlier. Suge prolly wouldnt be having any of that

step one

Post by step one »

Rap is more enjoyable when you don't take it literally and allow for artistic license. Honestly.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Spartan wrote:Just the general implication that Hip-Hop (Biggie) was some helpless retard and Puffy was the devil incarnate exploiting him.

I forgot all about that shit. hahahaha...I remember when it came out and the song ended i was like "wait...what?". He got both lofty and lazy at the same time.

Gyangsta 4 Life

Post by Gyangsta 4 Life »

Philaflava wrote:
KhillA wrote: Now when the next one came out and I saw Jeru produced it I was sure it was gonna be trash. It wasn't, imo.
99.9% was nice, but I don't recall the rest of the album being all that memorable.
Sounds like a pretty solid album....I mean if only 0.1% of it wasn't memorable.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
KhillA wrote: Now when the next one came out and I saw Jeru produced it I was sure it was gonna be trash. It wasn't, imo.
:rofl:

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Philaflava wrote:
Gyangsta 4 Life wrote:
Philaflava wrote:
:rofl:
lol. The wrath of the math baffled me on that post too.

madstadik

Post by madstadik »

Hahaha

Beastly Swagger

Post by Beastly Swagger »

Quality LP.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Philaflava wrote:I think Sun Rises had better songs, but this is probably the better overall album.
I've always felt the same. Both classics to me though.

And it's too bad Jeru and Premier had a falling out after the 2nd album cuz Jeru's music was never the same unfortunately. At least their cool again and are rumored to have been recording new music the last few years...

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

madstadik wrote:Meet me at d&d in "an" half an hour :fail:
hahaha I always thought wtf?! All good though he's not a lyrical master or anything but he has that voice and presence that more then makes up for it.