The OFFICIAL Top HipHop Albums Of 2016 Thread

General hip-hop discussion.

Moderators: TheBigSleep, stype_ones, Philaflava

WiCkEd22

The OFFICIAL Top HipHop Albums Of 2016 Thread

Post by WiCkEd22 »

I’m not gonna do a Top 10 or Top 20, I’m just gonna list my favorite HipHop albums from this year in alphabetical order. And I’m sure some of you will be happy to see I’ve listed some Instrumental albums as well. And one thing to note is I actually OWN every one of these albums on Vinyl, CD or both. Here goes…

* Achim Funk & Mr. Nylson - The Bridge To Yesterday (Vinyl)
* Apollo Brown & Skyzoo - The Easy Truth (Vinyl)
* Audessey, Oxygen & Ill Treats - Classic Material (Vinyl)
* Beneficence - Basement Chemistry (Vinyl / CD)
* BluntOne - Orbiting Rawbits (Vinyl)
* Brous One - Consequences (Vinyl)
* Chinch 33 - Yuma (Vinyl)
* Christmaz & Figub Brazlevic - Ego & Soul (Vinyl)
* Clever One - Wild Seed (CD)
* Code Nine & Purpose - Below Sumerian Skies (CD)
* Cyrus Malachi - Dystopian Dialect (Vinyl)
* EastKoast & Loopwhole Beats - Only In AmeriKKKa (Vinyl)
* Epidemic - 4 Dimensions On A Paper (Vinyl / CD)
* Funkonami - Deep Into The Forest (Vinyl)
* General Steele & Es-K - Building Bridges (Vinyl)
* George Fields - Beyond Realm (Vinyl)
* Jake GHNM x Bubblewild - Honest Expression LP (Vinyl)
* Le Makizar - Schema De Vie (Vinyl / CD)
* MC Gels - Wandering Souls LP (Vinyl / CD)
* MindsOne & DJ Iron - Phraseology (Vinyl)
* Nolan The Ninja - he[art]. (Vinyl)
* The Other Guys - Life In Analog (CD)
* Pen Pals & Jazz Spastiks - Made For The Underground (Vinyl / CD)
* Philanthrope & Devaloop - Cloudfiles (Vinyl)
* Professor P & DJ Akilles - The Tokyo Sessions (Vinyl)
* Ruste Juxx & Kyo Itachi - Meteorite (Vinyl)
* Sick Jacken - Psychodelic (CD)
* Smoke Dza & Pete Rock - Don’t Smoke Rock (CD)
* SmooVth - SS96J (CD)
* Snares - Ghetto Fills (Vinyl)
* Da Steez Brothaz - Physical Rappin (Vinyl)
* TrueMasterz & Da Shogunz - Rap Buddha (Vinyl)
* Truth - From Ashes To Kingdom Come (Vinyl)
* UG (of Cella Dwellas) - Portals (Vinyl / CD)
* Warpath - Pure Butter (Vinyl)

^I guess that’s 35 albums. Haha!

And as I’m sure you would expect, my overall FAVORITE album from this year is… EPIDEMIC!!

- epidemic1.bandcamp.com/album/4-dimensions-on-a-paper

:wicked:

EMCEE DARTH MALEK

Re: The OFFICIAL Top HipHop Albums Of 2016 Thread

Post by EMCEE DARTH MALEK »

1. still brazy
2. return of east atlanta santa
3. nothing on ur list
1. Nas
2. Drake

that's pretty much it fam.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

God bless you man. I think I purchased more sneakers this year than records. Honestly, I think I bought a total of 5 albums, two of which included Beyonce and Red Hot Chili Peppers. How in the hell do you have time to listen to all this shit? I pride myself on staying current but I don’t know if I have even heard of half this list.

samdoom

Post by samdoom »

in no particular order:
the impossible kid
coloring book
blank face
sun's tirade
life of pablo
Anderson Paak
Tribe

step one

Post by step one »

Philaflava wrote:God bless you man. I think I purchased more sneakers this year than records. Honestly, I think I bought a total of 5 albums, two of which included Beyonce and Red Hot Chili Peppers. How in the hell do you have time to listen to all this shit? I pride myself on staying current but I don’t know if I have even heard of half this list.
I feel like he posted a pretty similar list a couple of months ago and you asked a similar question.
ONLY BUILT FOR zSHARE LINKS
http://www.djstepone.blogspot.com

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Enjoyed that Smoke DZA & Pete Rock album.

drizzle
Awesome Vatican Assassin
Location: where people throw ducks at balloons and nothing is as it seems

Post by drizzle »

obviously it's Views and Birds In The Trap Sing Brian McKnight
http://www.steadybloggin.com - some of these are my thoughts yo

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

UG from the cella dwellas made an album this year...and you like it?
both those facts are crazy to me.

GUCCI CONDOMS

Post by GUCCI CONDOMS »

I'm genuinely frightened by this list

You really need to get help, brah.

#AUTISM

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Philaflava wrote:God bless you man. I think I purchased more sneakers this year than records. Honestly, I think I bought a total of 5 albums, two of which included Beyonce and Red Hot Chili Peppers. How in the hell do you have time to listen to all this shit? I pride myself on staying current but I don’t know if I have even heard of half this list.
Since 1988 ain't nuffin changed too much other then the fact that in '88 I was buyin tapes and now I'm buyin mostly vinyl. I started buyin vinyl in '89 and ceedeez in July '90. Once I started buyin cd's I then started to shrink wrap my tapes and return them to places like Tower Records and The Wherehouse for the cd versions and pay the few dollar difference in price. I did steal hundreds of cd's too. haha I started goin heavy with vinyl purchases in Summer '94 cuz that's when I bought my first 1200. Prior to that I just used my Dad's old turntable to record the vinyl I had to tape. I had a couple hundred vinyls by the time I bought my first 1200. Anyways, ain't nothin like actually owning the real thing. Streaming services are cool and convenient and even I use them from time to time, but yeah. As for my time, I listen to shit in the car daily to and from work or on my lunch break. I'm always listening to shit when I'm upstairs chillin in my studio room. Don't get me wrong though, not every album I buy is an album I wanna listen to from start to finish more then once. A lot of times albums just have a variety of songs I like and those are songs I'll use to mix live on my radio show and/or use for mixes and what not. So, yeah...

And Jason, to this day I still spend on average $350-500 a month on new HipHop vinyl & cd releases. Every now & then I spend up to $700 in a month. I own like 85% of all those Chopped Herring releases as I've been buyin those new since 2010. In general I own the majority of the Limited Vinyl Releases that come out and have been comin out. I was against the high prices initially in 2008 and 09 with those One Leg Up $80 EP prices but I got over it by early 2010 when I realized what was happening and that Limited Vinyl Releases was gonna be a thing and it sure is! haha

^Took that picture back on August 9. On the left is all my 90s Chopped Herring Vinyl releases. On the right is all my 90s Limited Vinyl Releases from all other labels like Back2DaSource, Crate Escape, Crooked Cat, Diggers With Gratitude, Dope Folks, Freestyle, Gentleman's Relief, GoodFelons, Heavy Jewelz, Lost, No Sleep, One Leg Up, REDEF, Sergent, Six2Six, Slice-Of-Spice, etc. Those two rows have both increased a lot over the past 4 months...

And if you wanna know how I do it, it's called budgeting your money so you can afford the things you want! I'm not into designer clothes and I'm not a sneakerhead or some lame fgt wasting money on dumb shit like Beats Headphones or other nonsense like that. I bring my lunch to work daily and I always brew my own Coffee at home as well. I know people who spend $100-200 a month goin to Starfucks almost daily. That's so fuckin stupid!!! And people who eat out most meals, again, stupid as fuck!! People just don't realize all the money they waste and can save by budgeting. So yeah, it's not that hard to afford the one main thing I truly love. Plus I but shit new when it comes out. I'm not a moron shopping on Discogs paying double or triple the price. Another thing, my girl & I have 2 Acura's... an '07 TL and an '08 MDX. We don't need to waste money like so many morons on overpriced cars like Mercedes or BMW and all that nonsense. I know people paying $700 or $800 a month on a car payment just so they can drive one of those stupid cars. If you can truly afford it and that's what you want then go for it, but most people can't truly afford it but make themselves afford it for all kinds of retarded reasons. I've known guys who have a BMW or Mercedes but can't go out much cuz they don't have money. How fuckin stupid is that? smh

So yeah, if you budget correctly you can afford things. *shrugs*

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

WiCkEd22 wrote: I'm not into designer clothes
All jeans are made by designers technically. Even your paco joints.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Cockhead wrote:
WiCkEd22 wrote: I'm not into designer clothes
All jeans are made by designers technically. Even your paco joints.
You know what I mean, dumbass...

:bunk:

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Philaflava wrote:I pride myself on staying current but I don’t know if I have even heard of half this list.
That kinda baffles me cuz it's not like anything from my list is weird shit or alternative shit or nerd shit or anything like that, it's all straight up 100 proof type of authentic HipHop, a lot of which would totally qualify for your "Sounds Like The 90s" series. Well, the good thing is you now have a list and some homework to do. haha Anyone who knows me knows I don't listen to wack shit. So, yeah...

step one

Post by step one »

Fucking L-O-L at dude thinking the releases on his list aren't obscure and that everyone was banging that Ug from Cella Dwellas album :lol:

Further lols at dropping a couple of grand on a stack of records that have been played twice each at the most.

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

step son wrote:Fucking L-O-L at dude thinking the releases on his list aren't obscure and that everyone was banging that Ug from Cella Dwellas album :lol:

Further lols at dropping a couple of grand on a stack of records that have been played twice each at the most.
Don't hate just cuz yoar a cheap short-armed moron who gave up and went the Serato route like all the other sellouts. It is what it is I guess... *shrugs*

step one

Post by step one »

And as I’m sure you would expect, my overall FAVORITE album from this year is… EPIDEMIC!!

Had a quick skip through a couple of tracks out of curiosity and its exactly what you'd expect. Generic, inoffensive, forgettable boom bap by numbers that while not being terrible by any means, is exactly the kind of thing that makes me think that a genre that was once insanely creative and forward thinking is being 4 element-ed into the ground by artists like this as much as any copycat trap rapper.

Track titles include:

Bout That Time
Believe Dat
Four Dimensions On A Paper ( :naswtf: )
Metempyschosis
A Second To Wreck It

Assume 'Kickin Tha Flava', 'Act Like U Know' and 'Tha Ill Lyrical Orthadontist' are being saved for the delux edition?

Personally Kano's 'Made In The Manor' was the only album I enjoyed this year

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

step son wrote:

Had a quick skip through a couple of tracks out of curiosity and its exactly what you'd expect. Generic, inoffensive, forgettable boom bap by numbers that while not being terrible by any means, is exactly the kind of thing that makes me think that a genre that was once insanely creative and forward thinking is being 4 element-ed into the ground by artists like this as much as any copycat trap rapper.

Track titles include:

Bout That Time
Believe Dat
Four Dimensions On A Paper ( :naswtf: )
Metempyschosis
A Second To Wreck It

Assume 'Kickin Tha Flava', 'Act Like U Know' and 'Tha Ill Lyrical Orthadontist' are being saved for the delux edition?
Ok, so you didn't care for it. Not surprising coming from a Jay-Z stan. For people who do really like Epidemic, this years album wasn't one of their favorites. A lot of people always point to the String Theory album and Monochrome Skies. *shrugs*

- epidemic1.bandcamp.com/album/string-theory

- epidemic1.bandcamp.com/album/monochrome-skies

^One of the joints off the String Theory album...

^One of the joints off the Monochrome Skies album...

^That last one is off an EP of theirs that features Fashawn. Dope joint!

Epidemic also got runner up in some R.A. The Rugged Man MC contest a couple of years back...

^That's their most recent video off the album that I listed as my favorite from this year.

And that Kano shit is wack, step son. What is that, Grime? smh

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

WiCkEd22 wrote:
Philaflava wrote:I pride myself on staying current but I don’t know if I have even heard of half this list.
That kinda baffles me cuz it's not like anything from my list is weird shit or alternative shit or nerd shit or anything like that, it's all straight up 100 proof type of authentic HipHop, a lot of which would totally qualify for your "Sounds Like The 90s" series. Well, the good thing is you now have a list and some homework to do. haha Anyone who knows me knows I don't listen to wack shit. So, yeah...
I didn't mean how do you do it financially. You didn't have disclose your W2 bro. I was merely talking about how do you keep up with all this new music. From your list, I have never even heard of these. And if there is one person on this forum who prides himself on knowledge and taste, it's me.

* Achim Funk & Mr. Nylson - The Bridge To Yesterday (Vinyl)
* BluntOne - Orbiting Rawbits (Vinyl)
* Brous One - Consequences (Vinyl)
* Chinch 33 - Yuma (Vinyl)
* Christmaz & Figub Brazlevic - Ego & Soul (Vinyl)
* Code Nine & Purpose - Below Sumerian Skies (CD)
* Cyrus Malachi - Dystopian Dialect (Vinyl)
* EastKoast & Loopwhole Beats - Only In AmeriKKKa (Vinyl)
* Epidemic - 4 Dimensions On A Paper (Vinyl / CD)
* Funkonami - Deep Into The Forest (Vinyl)
* George Fields - Beyond Realm (Vinyl)
* Jake GHNM x Bubblewild - Honest Expression LP (Vinyl)
* Le Makizar - Schema De Vie (Vinyl / CD)
* MC Gels - Wandering Souls LP (Vinyl / CD)
* Nolan The Ninja - he[art]. (Vinyl)
* The Other Guys - Life In Analog (CD)
* Pen Pals & Jazz Spastiks - Made For The Underground (Vinyl / CD)
* Philanthrope & Devaloop - Cloudfiles (Vinyl)
* Professor P & DJ Akilles - The Tokyo Sessions (Vinyl)
* Snares - Ghetto Fills (Vinyl)
* Da Steez Brothaz - Physical Rappin (Vinyl)
* TrueMasterz & Da Shogunz - Rap Buddha (Vinyl)
* Truth - From Ashes To Kingdom Come (Vinyl)
* Warpath - Pure Butter (Vinyl)

WiCkEd22

Post by WiCkEd22 »

Dang Jason. Now some of that shit is HipHop from other countries like Da Steez Brothaz is HipHop from Bogota, Columbia. Le Makizar is from France. Cyrus Malachi is from the UK I think (but he raps in English). And Christmaz & Figub Brazlevic is German HipHop, but in English. Figub Brazlevic is one of the illest producers in HipHop right now! He's like the German version of Pete Rock kinda. Even does a lot of his own scratches.

A few other albums are Instrumental HipHop albums which are from other countries like Achim Funk & Mr. Nylson, Funkonami, George Fields, Philanthrope & Devaloop and Snares.

The rest, for the most part, you kinda should know. Pen Pals are front NY and they even post here and that's a Chopped Herring release! Anything Jazz Spastiks (aka Slipmat Brothers) related is an auto-cop, same with anything Chopped Herring. MC Gels is from the Bronx and is young and dope and his Vinyl just came out on CH. You don't know The Other Guys? They have a few albums out now. They work with Tonya Morgan and Substantial and others. They did a Von Pea album last year. Code Nine & Purpose are from Tragic Allies. That's a really good album! Would be in my Top 10 easily if I did a Top 10. Epidemic goes without saying. Dope real HipHop outta Hollywood, Florida. EastKoast is from NYC and associated with Lewis Parker... they had an album out together last year that was great. Truth is another NYC cat and that's a dope album that lagged on comin out but Ill Adrenaline finally got it out back in January. PF Cuttin produced a lot of it. Don't sleep. Nolan The Ninja is from Detroit and dope. Does a lot of his own production too and has Fat Beats distributing his shit. Jake GHNM is new to me and he's from San Diego. That album is 90s style HipHop done right. True Masterz are from LA and Da Shogunz crew are from the Netherlands. Boom Bap heavy album that's dope. Professor P & DJ Akilles are from Sweden or Switzerland and they Rap in English and have had a lot of good shit the last 5-6 years with a lot of features by MC's from here. Ill Adrenaline put out some of their shit. Lastly, BluntOne is a producer album outta Germany but it features a lot of MC's from here. Chinch 33 is a DJ and his album features a ton of MC's from here. Last one, Warpath is German but raps in English.

And you know, HipHop is worldwide!! Since the early 90s I've always been into dope HipHop regardless of where in the world it was from or what language they rapped in cuz if it sounded dope then that's all that mattered. It was just a lot harder gettin my hands on shit back then where as these days it's not as difficult.

Anyways, you got some homework! haha Let me know what you peep and what your thoughts are...

stype_ones

Post by stype_ones »

Some favorites from this year are:

Tribe
Kendrick -untitled
Dave East
Isaiah Rashad

I'm sure there are a few more I'm forgetting but those def got the most spins from me from a hip hop perspective. Don't ah nearly enough time to listen to music and also listen to many different types so it's hard to get around to stuff.

Ern_Finesse

Post by Ern_Finesse »

Damn! Gotta check most these joints listed. Missed out on a bunch Hip Hop releases this year.

Motion Man

Post by Motion Man »

hmmm so Wicked is also here...

KhillA

Post by KhillA »

Motion Man wrote:hmmm so Wicked is also here...
yeah. we had a fierce bidding war with other forums went but lucky for we were able to get the funds together to recruit him. one of the main reasons ughh went under and the P still stands strong, imo

:wicked:

thornside

Post by thornside »

GUCCI CONDOMS wrote:I'm genuinely frightened by this list

You really need to get help, brah.

#AUTISM
Don't think this dude understood the slogan of this forums very well huh?

Versive

Post by Versive »

This was my top 25 releases (any genre) i submitted to TMT for their year-end list. Accidentally left out OME & Paul White, which should go in there somewhere. HIp-Hop/Instrumental Hip-Hop albums bolded below. Wicked, please feel free to ignore this post.

25. Kevlaar 7 – A Beautiful Soul
24. Olaf Melander – The Path
23. Noname - Telefone
22. Children of the the Corner – Standing on the Corner
21. Ka – Honor Killed the Samurai
20. A Tribe Called Quest – We Got it from Here … Thank You 4 Your service
19. Kai Whiston - Houndstooth
18. Ras G & Koreatown Oddity – 5 Chuckles in the Wrld
17. Radiohead – A Moon Shaped Pool
16. Beyonce – Lemonade
15. ベヘズト в е н е ѕ т Gχ -黒鳳凰王「 БПК 」
14. Gaika - Security