Official 2008-2009 NBA Regular Season Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Damn, it's a shame Dwight Howard's 351 game streak ended.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

ripweblo
pork

Post by ripweblo »

devin harris blew right by derrick rose a few times tonite, started to take over the game towards the end of the 1st half, but rose had the better finish, clutch floater, clutch 3, good defense causing harris to get a T, was a pretty good matchup

Juice

Post by Juice »

Money Gripp wrote:
an-also wrote:Mike Miller would look great in a raptors uni
:pause:
:lol: that was good, that was good

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

ripweblo wrote:devin harris blew right by derrick rose a few times tonite, started to take over the game towards the end of the 1st half, but rose had the better finish, clutch floater, clutch 3, good defense causing harris to get a T, was a pretty good matchup
I watched most of that game on saturday night. Harris was murdering Rose. and then ran out of gas. You could attribute that to playing a back to back and traveling for the 2nd game but, Harris has been excellent in the 2nd games of back to backs.

Rose looked good. Rose's off the ball game impressed me actually. He's got the nuances down pat. Damn polished for a 1st year player and 20 y/o. His on the ball game of course is nice.

Is it me or is Rose's jumpshot flat? Not much of an arc. One of you Bulls fans that watch more games then me need to tell me if this is common for him or not. The last 2 games I've seen of Rose, his shooting plane is lower then the average basketball player's.

Why doesn't Joakim Noah play more? Whenever he was on the court, the Bulls made runs. his +/- was tremendous in that game. He was active on the boards, on defense....he filled lanes. He made the right plays with the ball in his hands. I'm confused as fuck. For the season, he has better per 36 minute #s in rebounding and blocked shots (also rebound and block percentages) then any big man on the Bulls roster. He also has the best +/- of any pf/C on the Bulls. Yeah he's not that great of a scorer but he doesn't hurt you. He's a good passer for a big man. What's the beef? I can see why Drew Gooden does because other then his defensive deficiencies, he's probably the bulls most efficient big man on offense and they need to keep opposing defenses honest in the inside. But why does Aaron Gray start ahead of Noah? The guy does nothing but hack. Terrible defender. What he does on offense doesn't even make up for what he does on defense. Ty Thomas is a tremendous athlete and a good defensive player when he doesn't have lapses (lol) but what a terrible basketball player.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

^^
because noah is the ghey
Nets 2022

ripweblo
pork

Post by ripweblo »

yea rose's J is always flat

aaron gray is horrible. del negro starts him 1st and 2nd half then he rarely plays the rest of the game, i dont know what he's trying to accomplish doing that, the guy is beyond slow and has one of the 5 worst verticals your ever going to see, i dont think he can dunk.

if anything they should stick nocioni at 4 and play small because even w/ joakim playing more minutes theyre not going to shut any teams down so they might as well give the minutes to nocioni and tyrus and try to play uptempo

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

Gray couldn't jump over a stick of doublemint

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

another NBA coach jobless.....
Kings Fire Coach Reggie Theus After a 6-18 Start

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Reggie Theus was fired as coach of the Sacramento Kings on Monday after a 6-18 start to his second season with the club. Assistant coach Kenny Natt took over the Kings at their shootaround before Monday night's game against Minnesota, spokesman Troy Hanson said. Natt is Sacramento's fourth coach in less than three years.

Assistant coach Chuck Person was fired along with Theus, who went 44-62 in his brief tenure with Sacramento.

The Kings have lost 10 of 11 to fall into last place in the Pacific Division, with only a win over the Los Angeles Lakers in the last 3 1/2 weeks. Sacramento's 24-point home loss to the New York Knicks on Saturday night _ the ninth loss in 10 games at Arco Arena _ was Theus' final game.

Theus' firing was first reported by Yahoo.com. He is the sixth coach fired in the NBA already this season, following P.J. Carlesimo (Oklahoma City), Eddie Jordan (Washington), Sam Mitchell (Toronto), Randy Wittman (Minnesota) and Maurice Cheeks (Philadelphia), who was dismissed Saturday.

Theus played 13 seasons in the NBA, memorably scoring the first basket for the first Kings team in Sacramento after the club's move to Northern California in 1985. He went 38-44 in his debut season as head coach after the Kings hired him away from New Mexico State, where he built a solid program that marked him as an up-and-coming coaching prospect.
ad_icon

But with star guard Kevin Martin sidelined by injuries for all but nine games this season, Sacramento has been among the NBA's worst teams. Martin's left ankle injury and Sacramento's unimpressive roster weren't excuses for owners Joe and Gavin Maloof, who have publicly voiced their displeasure with their franchise's direction in recent weeks.

Natt is in his second season with the Kings after three years as an assistant with the Cleveland Cavaliers, who reached the NBA Finals in 2007. He played three NBA seasons, including a stint with the Kansas City Kings, before moving up the coaching ranks in a path that included nine seasons as an assistant to Utah coach Jerry Sloan.

In May 2006, the Maloofs fired veteran coach Rick Adelman, who won 395 games and led the Kings to eight consecutive playoff appearances and winning seasons, but no titles. After making that move over the objections of top basketball executive Geoff Petrie, the Maloofs then hired Eric Musselman, who lasted just one tumultuous season before getting fired amid multiple personality conflicts.

Theus, the former player who dabbled in acting and broadcasting before becoming a coach, seemed an ideal coach for the showbiz-loving Maloofs, and he did better than many expected in his rookie year. But a slow start convinced the impatient Maloofs to change direction again _ and it will cost them financially.

Theus' departure means the Kings will be paying three head coaching salaries this season to Natt, Theus and Musselman, who still has a year left on his contract.
:bunk:

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:Why doesn't Joakim Noah play more? Whenever he was on the court, the Bulls made runs. his +/- was tremendous in that game. He was active on the boards, on defense....he filled lanes. He made the right plays with the ball in his hands. I'm confused as fuck. For the season, he has better per 36 minute #s in rebounding and blocked shots (also rebound and block percentages) then any big man on the Bulls roster. He also has the best +/- of any pf/C on the Bulls. Yeah he's not that great of a scorer but he doesn't hurt you. He's a good passer for a big man. What's the beef? I can see why Drew Gooden does because other then his defensive deficiencies, he's probably the bulls most efficient big man on offense and they need to keep opposing defenses honest in the inside. But why does Aaron Gray start ahead of Noah? The guy does nothing but hack. Terrible defender. What he does on offense doesn't even make up for what he does on defense. Ty Thomas is a tremendous athlete and a good defensive player when he doesn't have lapses (lol) but what a terrible basketball player.
Noah is my dog.

What you witnessed on Saturday was the Tyrus Thomas show. Devastating alley-oop dunks. Insane help defense. Vicious rebounding. Dude is just an absolute freak of nature. He's still at like a 1.5 out of 10 on the IQ scale, but god damn do I love that guy. He can't dribble or shoot, but if there's another player in the NBA that is more devastating on alley-oop dunks, then point me in the right direction. He's also got the potential to be one of the absolute best help defenders in the NBA.

That said, Del Negro ain't smart enough to give Tyrus, Noah, or Sefolosha the minutes that they need to develop. We're giving a shitload of playing time to guys that are not in our long term plans: Gordon, Gooden, Hughes, etc. They got 8th seed aspirations when they should be thinking much bigger than that. This season doesn't mean anything, but Paxson and Del Negro think otherwise. The Bulls are a really stupid organization; make no mistake about it.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

better alley oop players then Tyrus Thomas (which i admit, he was impressive): Lebron James, Tyson Chandler, Dwight Howard, Josh Smith, and Vince Carter (even though he's crazy hated on, sometimes deservedly).

I still hate ty thomas. he's fucking disgusting. I cannot watch this guy play basketball. Dude is a pure energy bench player. If dude was on my favorite team, I would have to buy insurance for everything i buy.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Knicks vs. Suns

This should be a fun game.

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

Suns look really good with Richardson. A lot more space and movement w/ J-Rich on the floor.

David Lee is looking great tonight. :pause:

Money Gripp

Post by Money Gripp »

My fantasy team is killing shit tonight.

Nate Robinson: 12-27, 9 boards, 5 dimes, 3 steals, 27 points
David Lee: 12 boards, 15 points
Jason Richardson: 4-7 3PT, 7 boards, 16 points
Al Horford: 14 boards, 2 blocks
Kendrick Perkins: 6-8, 14 boards, 15 points
Al Jefferson: 22 points in the 1st half

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Money Gripp wrote:My fantasy team is killing shit tonight.

my team played against almost all of those guys tonight (as well as milsap and redd). it was a rough night.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Blockhead wrote:

my team played against almost all of those guys tonight (as well as milsap and redd). it was a rough night.
jesus millsap went off. feel bad for you.

Blockhead
I made Daylight, yo!

Post by Blockhead »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
Blockhead wrote:

jesus millsap went off. feel bad for you.
for real, i just have that luck of bringing out career games from people when i'm against them. i need boozer to come back as soon as fucking possible...and i don't even own him. any word on his recovery?

Juice

Post by Juice »

Money Gripp wrote:Suns look really good with Richardson. A lot more space and movement w/ J-Rich on the floor.
I love the Suns this year.If they continue to improve their game and Shaq stays in this form they can do some serious damage in the postseason.That said those bench players need to grow some balls.

And thank god Sacramento finally fired Reggie Theus.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Celts should have 4 of 5 starters on all star team...

Rondos numbers last night

25 points 9 rebounds 8 assist 3 steals... he did have 7 TO though.. but still, he def deserves to be an all star... crazy thing is Jameer Nelson has more votes then him right now.

Juice

Post by Juice »

Rondo :

PPG 10,9
RPG 5,0
APG 7,4
SPG 2,3
BPG 0,1
FG% 0,513
FT% 0,660
3P% 0,308
MPG 31,5

Nelson :

PPG 15,9
RPG 3,4
APG 5,3
SPG 1,4
BPG 0,0
FG% 0,500
FT% 0,943
3P% 0,387
MPG 32,0

close call

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

naturalborn103 wrote:Celts should have 4 of 5 starters on all star team...
uhhhhhhhh, 4 all stars, maybe.

4 starters? bugging

Ray allen shouldn't make it past Wade and has competetion from joe johnson and vince carter.

Lebron. Caron. Danny Granger.

KG will get in but right now, he's neck and neck with Bosh.

Rondo has a good argument with Devin harris also playing out of his mind. Calderon is playing efficient as fuck basketball after a bad start.

Rondo and KG have the best and most deserving chances of all star starter.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:

4 starters? bugging

Ray allen shouldn't make it past Wade and has competetion from joe johnson and vince carter.

Rondo has a good argument with Devin harris also playing out of his mind. Calderon is playing efficient as fuck basketball after a bad start.

sorry, I guess i wasn't clear.. I was saying of the celts 5 starters 4 should be all stars... I am not saying they should have 4 starting all stars, just 4 in the game.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

the "should" all-star team:
1. wade or harris
2. johnson or wade
3. lebron
4. bosh
5. howard

while the celts are playing ridiculous team ball right now, and even though individually the big 4 for the celts are all-stars

wade or harris > rondo (wade and harris are carrying their teams, single-handedly on a few nights)

johnson or wade > allen

lebron > everything

bosh > kg (kg is a much bigger presence defensively but come on, kg is averaging 16 a game to bosh's 24, and again, bosh is carrying the raps on certain nights

it hurts these celts that they're all playing together cuz theres only one ball and they can't all get all-star starter numbers even if they're all all-star caliber...you just can't make a fair argument against the wade/harris/johnson/lebron/howard/bosh's of the world
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

if my starting 5 were the real starting 5, there would be 4 olympians including 3 of the biggest stars who started on the olympic team and th 4th guy would be the 6th man who was basically the mvp of the gold medal game and almost arguably the whole tournament
Nets 2022

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Reason wrote:the "should" all-star team:
1. wade or harris
2. johnson or wade
3. lebron
4. bosh
5. howard

while the celts are playing ridiculous team ball right now, and even though individually the big 4 for the celts are all-stars

wade or harris > rondo (wade and harris are carrying their teams, single-handedly on a few nights)

johnson or wade > allen

lebron > everything

bosh > kg (kg is a much bigger presence defensively but come on, kg is averaging 16 a game to bosh's 24, and again, bosh is carrying the raps on certain nights

it hurts these celts that they're all playing together cuz theres only one ball and they can't all get all-star starter numbers even if they're all all-star caliber...you just can't make a fair argument against the wade/harris/johnson/lebron/howard/bosh's of the world
cant argue..

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Bosh also plays 6 mpg more then KG.

it's closer then people think.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:

4 starters? bugging

I really hope you don't mean they are neck and neck in terms of how well they are playing. Bosh is the best PF in the league right now, hands down.

And why the fuck do you people keep talking about D. Wade like he's a point guard? He is clearly a 2 guard.

Also, there is no way in hell Rondo should get a spot over Derrick Rose in the All Star game, that is fucking absurd.

Juice

Post by Juice »

Hayzoos wrote: Also, there is no way in hell Rondo should get a spot over Derrick Rose in the All Star game, that is fucking absurd.
yeah nothing has been said about Rose, his numbers are great.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Hayzoos wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:

4 starters? bugging

I really hope you don't mean they are neck and neck in terms of how well they are playing. Bosh is the best PF in the league right now, hands down.

And why the fuck do you people keep talking about D. Wade like he's a point guard? He is clearly a 2 guard.

Also, there is no way in hell Rondo should get a spot over Derrick Rose in the All Star game, that is fucking absurd.
cant say that... his team is 10-14..

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

naturalborn103 wrote:
Hayzoos wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:

4 starters? bugging

cant say that... his team is 10-14..
What a terrible argument.

Some of you people just talk out of your ass on here, it's ridiculous.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Hayzoos wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:

4 starters? bugging

so many things wrong here.

1) Duncan is still the best PF in the game right now. This hasn't changed. He went 5-2 without Ginobilli or Parker in the lineup. He has a better PER then Bosh, he has more assists, rebounds, and blocks per game then Bosh while playing in 4 less minutes per game. He has 3 ppg less then bosh in less time too. He's a much better defensive player in all aspects.

Bosh also has barely better stats then Garnett and plays 6 more minutes per game. all this while Garnett is also a much better defender right now.

Convinced you don't look closely at the game.

2) Agree, d wade is a SG. but inthe all star game, it doesn't matter.

3) LOL, Harris played Rose to a standstill on top of Harris having a better season so far. Rondo also playing better then Rose. so not only do you not follow the game of basketball closely, you are extremely biased and probably only watch bulls games.

getting kinda convinced of this.