The Official MMA Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

this pisses me off, however, these guys (fedya and m-1) don't give a fuck about anything but making money, they are businessmen, still sucks that we probably wont see fedya fight in ufc

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15693/dana-wh ... likely.mma

Elias

Post by Elias »

I have no idea how he would do. He does sambo all the time and he has always been quite sneaky and powerful on the ground.

I think a Randy C v. Fedor fight would be really good too though, EVEN IF he loses to Brock.

If he beats Brock then all bets are off. It will probably DEFINITely be Coture, followed by Carwin and then Cain.

Gonzaga is good but he just KO'd by Carwin. He needs an easy one or two to come back. It is a tad unfair how when MMA fighters get KO'd they are expected to come back and fight big competition, when boxers KNOW they are concussed and have 'confidence' issues and their trainers put them in with weaker opponents to mentally rehab to an extent.

I've never been KO'd but I've gotten my bell rung quite a few times and its always those shots you don't see so even when you are winning a fight it changes the tenor of it a little bit, throws your balance and confidence off because one second you are in control and the next....you lost.

Russian
NSFW

Post by Russian »

i can't say i disagree

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

One man to blame in UFC-Fedor breakdown

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports 1 hour, 23 minutes ago

Itג€™s easy to paint Vadim Finkelchtein as the villain in this mess between heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko and the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Emelianenko is the free agent heavyweight with the gaudy 30-1 record and small but passionate fan base. The UFC is the worldג€™s finest mixed martial arts promotional company and has roughly 90 percent of the top 100 fighters in the world under contract.

Emelianenko was looking for a place to fight and the UFC wanted to put on what it believed could have become a massive pay-per-view show with a big push by pitting Emelianenko against Brock Lesnar, its silo-sized heavyweight champion.

But no deal was reached despite a lucrative offer from the UFC. Though UFC president Dana White wouldnג€™t rule it out, chances of it happening in the future are remote.
ADVERTISEMENT

Finkelchtein is the Russian heavyweightג€™s manager and, more significantly, the president and co-owner of what purports to be a major MMA promotional company, M-1 Global. Finkelchtein clearly used Emelianenko as a pawn in an attempt to force the UFC to accept M-1 as a partner. All M-1 Global brought to the table was one fighter, even if he is a very good one, which would have made White a moron had he acquiesced to that demand.

If the UFC was in the business of giving 50 percent of its company away every time it tried to sign an elite fighter, it would have been in worse shape a lot sooner than Chrysler.

The reason the deal didnג€™t get done is simple: Fedor Emelianenko.

Emelianenkoג€™s supporters are going to point the finger at White as the reason a deal did not get done. White, though, agreed to essentially every demand Emelianenko made. He offered to pay him more than heג€™s ever made. He agreed to allow Emelianenko to fight in combat sambo. He agreed to allow Emelianenko to advertise M-1 on his fight shorts, on the apparel he wore and on banners his cornermen brought with them to the cage.

What White wouldnג€™t do, though, is give half of his company to Finkelchtein in return for the, ahem, privilege, of promoting Emelianenkoג€™s next few fights.

The demand was kind of like an owner in the Continental Basketball Association demanding 50 percent ownership in an NBA team before allowing his player to sign.

Emelianenko can fight wherever he wants, of course. His legacy, though, took a serious shellacking when he refused to order Finkelchtein to get a deal done.

That would have allowed Emelianenko, who was ranked No. 2 in the most recent Yahoo! Sports pound-for-pound Top 10 poll, to end any doubts whether he is as great as his most ardent supporters say or whether he is overrated, as White insists. Rather, Emelianenko acts as if heג€™s under some sort of spell cast by Finkelchtein. Heג€™s never met White and when Finkelchtein, White and UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta negotiated via conference call, Emelianenko was on the line but said nothing.

All Emelianenko needed to do to know what he should have done was to look to Tito Ortiz, the UFCג€™s former light heavyweight champion. Ortiz and White have long engaged in a nasty public feud and they split, seemingly for good, after Ortizג€™ contract ran out after he lost to Lyoto Machida at UFC 84 in May 2008.

There Ortiz was, however, on a conference call on Friday all chummy chummy with White. White revealed he had flown to Huntington Beach, Calif., recently and met personally with Ortiz, where they finalized resolved their differences.

Ortiz had dalliances with Elite XC and Affliction and said he was close to a deal to fight for Strikeforce. He referred to Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker as ג€œan awesome guy.ג€

Ortiz said the reason he opted to fight in the UFC is simple: Competition. ג€œWho was I going to fight there?ג€ Ortiz said. ג€œI want to fight the best.ג€

Itג€™s too bad Emelianenko doesnג€™t have the same attitude. Had he been outraged by Finkelchteinג€™s negotiating tactics and insisted Finkelchtein work out the best possible deal, White would have been announcing an Emelianenko-Lesnar bout at his ballyhooed news conference on Friday rather than again railing at Finkelchteinג€™s bizarre stance.

Finkelchtein released a statement on Friday before the UFC news conference in which he said, in part, ג€œAll we are asking is that there is give-and-take in the negotiations and that they are not one-sided.ג€

But the UFC gave on the money. The UFC gave on the Fedorג€™s desire to compete in the Russian combat sport of sambo. The UFC gave on allowing Fedor to wear M-1ג€™s logos. Finkelchtein wouldnג€™t budge on his ridiculous demand that the UFC make him a full promotional partner.

So now, Emelianenko will be a free agent, traveling the world in search of a fight. He could fight Josh Barnett, whom he was supposed to fight on Saturday on an Affliction card until Barnett tested positive for an anabolic steroid and was denied a license by the California State Athletic Commission.

Emelianenko remains highly popular in Japan, where they donג€™t test for steroids and donג€™t honor U.S. suspensions. Barnett, who has been caught cheating more than once, could be licensed there and conceivably could fight Emelianenko.

But there are precious few quality opponents for him outside of the UFC. And none of the fights would captivate the worldג€™s interest the way UFC 100 did on July 11.

Emelianenko is largely unknown in the U.S. despite his 30-1 record and long winning streak. The three pay-per-view shows he headlined in this country ג€“ PRIDE 32 in 2006, Affliction 1 in 2008 and Affliction 2 in January ג€“ sold a combined total of fewer than 300,000 units.

UFC 100 alone sold well over 1.5 million.

Finkelchtein clearly botched the negotiations, but heג€™s not to blame.

If Emelianenko really wanted to be in the UFC and fight the best competition in the world, he would have made certain Finkelchtein got it done.

If you want to blame someone in this fiasco, blame Emelianenko.

Itג€™s 100 percent his fault.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

yeah right Dana did not give in to all demands, he planted a false 30 M number for 6 fights that was only paid out based on ludicrous projections
UBM CD COMING SOON

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

Russian wrote:i can't say i disagree

http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns

One man to blame in UFC-Fedor breakdown

By Kevin Iole, Yahoo! Sports 1 hour, 23 minutes ago

Itג€™s easy to paint Vadim Finkelchtein as the villain in this mess between heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko and the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

Emelianenko is the free agent heavyweight with the gaudy 30-1 record and small but passionate fan base. The UFC is the worldג€™s finest mixed martial arts promotional company and has roughly 90 percent of the top 100 fighters in the world under contract.

Emelianenko was looking for a place to fight and the UFC wanted to put on what it believed could have become a massive pay-per-view show with a big push by pitting Emelianenko against Brock Lesnar, its silo-sized heavyweight champion.

But no deal was reached despite a lucrative offer from the UFC. Though UFC president Dana White wouldnג€™t rule it out, chances of it happening in the future are remote.
ADVERTISEMENT

Finkelchtein is the Russian heavyweightג€™s manager and, more significantly, the president and co-owner of what purports to be a major MMA promotional company, M-1 Global. Finkelchtein clearly used Emelianenko as a pawn in an attempt to force the UFC to accept M-1 as a partner. All M-1 Global brought to the table was one fighter, even if he is a very good one, which would have made White a moron had he acquiesced to that demand.

If the UFC was in the business of giving 50 percent of its company away every time it tried to sign an elite fighter, it would have been in worse shape a lot sooner than Chrysler.

The reason the deal didnג€™t get done is simple: Fedor Emelianenko.

Emelianenkoג€™s supporters are going to point the finger at White as the reason a deal did not get done. White, though, agreed to essentially every demand Emelianenko made. He offered to pay him more than heג€™s ever made. He agreed to allow Emelianenko to fight in combat sambo. He agreed to allow Emelianenko to advertise M-1 on his fight shorts, on the apparel he wore and on banners his cornermen brought with them to the cage.

What White wouldnג€™t do, though, is give half of his company to Finkelchtein in return for the, ahem, privilege, of promoting Emelianenkoג€™s next few fights.

The demand was kind of like an owner in the Continental Basketball Association demanding 50 percent ownership in an NBA team before allowing his player to sign.

Emelianenko can fight wherever he wants, of course. His legacy, though, took a serious shellacking when he refused to order Finkelchtein to get a deal done.

That would have allowed Emelianenko, who was ranked No. 2 in the most recent Yahoo! Sports pound-for-pound Top 10 poll, to end any doubts whether he is as great as his most ardent supporters say or whether he is overrated, as White insists. Rather, Emelianenko acts as if heג€™s under some sort of spell cast by Finkelchtein. Heג€™s never met White and when Finkelchtein, White and UFC CEO Lorenzo Fertitta negotiated via conference call, Emelianenko was on the line but said nothing.

All Emelianenko needed to do to know what he should have done was to look to Tito Ortiz, the UFCג€™s former light heavyweight champion. Ortiz and White have long engaged in a nasty public feud and they split, seemingly for good, after Ortizג€™ contract ran out after he lost to Lyoto Machida at UFC 84 in May 2008.

There Ortiz was, however, on a conference call on Friday all chummy chummy with White. White revealed he had flown to Huntington Beach, Calif., recently and met personally with Ortiz, where they finalized resolved their differences.

Ortiz had dalliances with Elite XC and Affliction and said he was close to a deal to fight for Strikeforce. He referred to Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker as ג€œan awesome guy.ג€

Ortiz said the reason he opted to fight in the UFC is simple: Competition. ג€œWho was I going to fight there?ג€ Ortiz said. ג€œI want to fight the best.ג€

Itג€™s too bad Emelianenko doesnג€™t have the same attitude. Had he been outraged by Finkelchteinג€™s negotiating tactics and insisted Finkelchtein work out the best possible deal, White would have been announcing an Emelianenko-Lesnar bout at his ballyhooed news conference on Friday rather than again railing at Finkelchteinג€™s bizarre stance.

Finkelchtein released a statement on Friday before the UFC news conference in which he said, in part, ג€œAll we are asking is that there is give-and-take in the negotiations and that they are not one-sided.ג€

But the UFC gave on the money. The UFC gave on the Fedorג€™s desire to compete in the Russian combat sport of sambo. The UFC gave on allowing Fedor to wear M-1ג€™s logos. Finkelchtein wouldnג€™t budge on his ridiculous demand that the UFC make him a full promotional partner.

So now, Emelianenko will be a free agent, traveling the world in search of a fight. He could fight Josh Barnett, whom he was supposed to fight on Saturday on an Affliction card until Barnett tested positive for an anabolic steroid and was denied a license by the California State Athletic Commission.

Emelianenko remains highly popular in Japan, where they donג€™t test for steroids and donג€™t honor U.S. suspensions. Barnett, who has been caught cheating more than once, could be licensed there and conceivably could fight Emelianenko.

But there are precious few quality opponents for him outside of the UFC. And none of the fights would captivate the worldג€™s interest the way UFC 100 did on July 11.

Emelianenko is largely unknown in the U.S. despite his 30-1 record and long winning streak. The three pay-per-view shows he headlined in this country ג€“ PRIDE 32 in 2006, Affliction 1 in 2008 and Affliction 2 in January ג€“ sold a combined total of fewer than 300,000 units.

UFC 100 alone sold well over 1.5 million.

Finkelchtein clearly botched the negotiations, but heג€™s not to blame.

If Emelianenko really wanted to be in the UFC and fight the best competition in the world, he would have made certain Finkelchtein got it done.

If you want to blame someone in this fiasco, blame Emelianenko.

Itג€™s 100 percent his fault.
all that needs to be said... hopefully fedor will give one day.. this shit is just dumbfounding.. he would get paid more than he ever has.. he must just hate white.. oh well.. ufc doesn't need him.....

dat piff

Post by dat piff »

I think he's afraid he might lose
ImageImageImage

Elias

Post by Elias »

Someone who has fought everyone and won 30 odd times...isn't scared. I don't think Fedor is scared to lose and the man's demeanor in the ring is extremely relaxed. There is nothing in him that has EVER shown fear before, during, or after a fight. He's a machine.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

I still blame his manager, it's more than obvious he has his own agenda.

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

:lol: :lol:

madtapes

Post by madtapes »

dat piff wrote:I think he's afraid he might lose
Agreed. At this point it is in his best interest (legacy wise) to keep fighting former champions, washouts and freaks. Off to Japan he goes!!

madtapes

Post by madtapes »

Tweak Da Leak wrote:Besides Fedor vs. Brock what other big fights could UFC offer him, esp. cus they want to pay him based off ppv revenue fedor vs. carwin, fedor vs. Santos, Fedor vs. GG, none of those are big drawers Fedor vs. Crocop would prolly do bigger numbers for the UFC and cro cop is washed up
Fedor vs. Couture (match that has been years in the making)
Fedor vs Mir
Fedor Vs Lesnar (rematch!!)

and by that point I'm sure they would have been able to convince the public that Dos Santos or Carwin is a legitimate threat.

I think that putting him up against Lesnar right away would be the worst thing they could do. I would have expected a match vs Couture first, since this is the match the UFC promised to Couture to get him back in the fold after he tried to jump ship to Affliction. It seems to me that they risck losing a lot of they throw Fedor against Lesnar right out the gate. If Fedor loses (which is possible) then the general public loses all interest in him. If Fedor wins, it damages the rep of the UFC's #1 draw.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

SuperFeen wrote:Image

:lol: :lol:

:rofl:

are these from sherdog? they always have awesome photoshops.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/fedor- ... orce-18883

Fedor Signs with Strikeforce

Fedor Emelianenko has signed a multi-fight agreement that will see the worldג€™s No. 1-ranked heavyweight compete for Strikeforce, the promotion announced Monday.

Emelianenko, who became a free agent after Affliction Entertainment canceled its Aug. 1 event two weeks ago, will make his debut on Showtime under a co-promoted Strikeforce/M-1 Global production this fall. Emelianenko was to have faced Josh Barnett at Affliction ג€œTrilogyג€ on Aug. 1, but Barnett failed a pre-fight test for anabolic steroids and was refused licensure by the California State Athletic Commission.

Emelianenko, along with his promoters and management team M-1 Global, negotiated with the UFC last week, but could not come to an agreement over co-promotion.

"Strikeforce is a top fight promotion that houses some of the greatest fighters in the world," said Emelianenko in a press release. "I am prepared to fight any of them."

Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker told Sherdog.com last week that he plans to match the stoic Russian against the likes of Brett Rogers, Fabricio Werdum and the promotionג€™s heavyweight champion, Alistair Overeem.

ג€œI feel pretty confident that we could give him four or five opponents that would make sense for him,ג€ Coker told Sherdog.com in an exclusive video interview.

DULLAH

Post by DULLAH »

:retard: :jaz: :bunk: :fail:

madtapes

Post by madtapes »

Fuck. I'm sure the world is holding its breath to see Fedor vs. Brett fucking Rogers.

ridiculous.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Overeem/Brett Rogers/Werdum/Buentello = Lesnar/Cain/Carwin/Dos Santos/Couture

I see Monson and Barnett both going to SF so I don't think its that much of a problem I think Overeem would destroy Lesnar
UBM CD COMING SOON

madtapes

Post by madtapes »

Tweak Da Leak wrote: I see Monson and Barnett both going to SF so I don't think its that much of a problem I think Overeem would destroy Lesnar
I don't know if Barnett will ever fight in North America again, so I doubt he'll show up in Strikeforce.

In other news the rumor mill says that Zuffa has just filed a cease and desist regarding the Babalu versus Mousasi fight. Turns out that since Affliction didn't actually fold they still have some hold on Mousasis contract, which means that now Zuffa has has some hold over that contract. Don't be surprised if they pull the same move on Fedor in the near future.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

that mousassi fight better go down i didnt win free tickets just to see cyborg beat the shit oughta my girl
UBM CD COMING SOON

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Rumours of Wandy vs GSP @ 185

A stretch but still got the mind running

madtapes

Post by madtapes »

Ramen wrote:Rumours of Wandy vs GSP @ 185

A stretch but still got the mind running
What?

That would be kind of crazy. Wanderlei has lost 5 out of his last 6 fights and GSP, well he's GSP. I guess it would mark Wanderlei as an official gatekeeper for 185 and would be an exciting fight in that wandy will swing for the fences.

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

Well at least we'll see Fedor in a cage. Overeem is the only match I'd be remotely interested in, hopefully they pay Fedor out the ass and lose a ton of money and M-1 folds, *crosses fingers*

I wouldn't mind scrapping Babalu vs Mousasi if it means Mousasi fighting in the UFC at 205

Wand vs GSP makes no sense but I'd watch the shit out of that

madtapes

Post by madtapes »

SuperFeen wrote:Well at least we'll see Fedor in a cage. Overeem is the only match I'd be remotely interested in, hopefully they pay Fedor out the ass and lose a ton of money and M-1 folds, *crosses fingers*

I wouldn't mind scrapping Babalu vs Mousasi if it means Mousasi fighting in the UFC at 205

Wand vs GSP makes no sense but I'd watch the shit out of that
I'd love to see an Overeem victory over Fedor. How quick would White trip over himself to offer Overeem a big dollar contract?

chump change
The Mayor

Post by chump change »

strikeforce wont make it.. i mean really how long before ufc buys them too?... this is really the dumbest shit ever....

Psychosis
Habitual Line-stepper

Post by Psychosis »

This whole Fedor situation is ridiculous. He's not going to bring in big ratings to Strikeforce. There's no one I care to see him fight there. Well, checking the site, it seems Bob Sapp's on their roster, so that'd be a good fight for the lols.
Cash Rulz ponders the subjectivity of art:
Cash Rulz wrote:Taste are funny.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

Psychosis wrote:This whole Fedor situation is ridiculous. He's not going to bring in big ratings to Strikeforce. There's no one I care to see him fight there. Well, checking the site, it seems Bob Sapp's on their roster, so that'd be a good fight for the lols.
Alistair Overeem would be an interesting match-up, but that's about the extent of it. Brett Rogers is not on Fedor's level, no matter how good a punch he throws... he just lacks the polish.

Most of the top free agent heavyweights have already been picked apart by The Last Emperor. Tim Sylvia and Andrei Arlovski aren't even options anymore. Josh Barnett is never gonna get licensed to fight in the US ever again. Who's out there? Gilbert Yvel? Pedro Rizzo? Paul Buentello? Jeff Monson might provide a vaguely interesting fight... but he's only a few steps above Brett Rogers.

There's just nobody outside of the UFC roster that's an interesting fight for Fedor. It's a barren heavyweight wasteland.

DULLAH

Post by DULLAH »

Jim Rome wrote:"It looks like Fedor is running from Brock Lesnar"

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Heard something like Strikeforce has to give M-1 half of the revenue of every card Fedor is in

SuperFeen

Post by SuperFeen »

^that's what they mean by "co-promote"

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Really this is all just a conspiracy between Fedor and Dana to run all of his competition out of business before Fedor comes to the UFC.

:killacam:
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

DULLAH

Post by DULLAH »

Prophecy wrote:Really this is all just a conspiracy between Fedor and Dana to run all of his competition out of business before Fedor comes to the UFC.

:killacam:
Similar, I thaught this was a delay by Fedor's team to give him 3 more fights by which to analyze Brock's weaknesses, to ensure Fedor's victory 110% prior to taking the fight. Plus, he gets 3-4 more W's of his own, and they can then claim another org's title on their rap sheet, when they finally do come to the UFc in 12-18 months.