He's baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack (Favre)

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

D. James

Post by D. James »

jazzmatazz23 wrote:we need a game manager that can make quality throws. Not a 40 year old gun slinger that turns the ball over more then any qb that has ever played the game.

25 millions dollars in 2 years?

Greenbay dumped him for a reason.

HE IS UNCLUTCH.
Favre's last year in Green Bay, they went 13-3 and made it to the NFC Championship. They ran Favre out of town in favor of Rodgers and failed to make the playoffs. So how'd that work out for them? Favre is familiar with the Vikings' offense and terminology, he'll clearly still be effective if he can stay healthy, and he's better than any other quarterback on the roster. It wouldn't make any sense for Minnesota not to sign him. And people that are up in arms about him continuing to play football....why do you care? Let him play until he's 50 if he wants. What is he supposed to do? Say no to 25 million to keep doing what he's done his whole life?

Mike BLAOWery

Post by Mike BLAOWery »

rooski wrote:
Mike BLAOWery wrote:the guy is scum but he's also a better QB then anyone on their roster.

He's made them super bowl contenders, unfortunately.

It's the Vikings and the NFC East.

and then there's everyone else.
:owens:

LAST YEAR WAS NOT A FLUKE!
i still think zona is a 9 to 10 win team at best though. Depends on their defense and if it plays like it did in the post season.

Also, I think Seattle will be much better then last year. I also feel that SF could be a 7 to 8 win team.

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Mike BLAOWery wrote:
jazzmatazz23 wrote:
VideoKilledThe wrote:I am surprised at how many of you who think this is a bad move.

This makes the Vikings a lock for the playoffs, and because they play in such a weak division, the inside route to a first round bye. Yes, that's how big this is.
I don't think the NFC north is a weak division at all. 3 teams from that division could make the playoffs.
I think the cutler move has made the bears overrated. yeah he's better then what they had before but their WRs are still not good. Also, their pass defense last year was atrocious. I'm not a big fan of their DBs. They don't generate much of a pass rush imo. They get by on causing turnovers.
Cosign. BUT...have you looked at the Bears schedule? Really weak. If Cutler + this weak schedule doesn't make this an atleast 10-6 team I'd be shocked.

Mike BLAOWery

Post by Mike BLAOWery »

Beastly Swagger wrote:Sage could be a beast if handled right.
I think Sage is Favre lite with less arm strength and more mobility.

Mike BLAOWery

Post by Mike BLAOWery »

keL wrote:put all the anger and emo shit aside.

defenses cant put 8 men in the box anymore to stop AP. how do you scheme to stop the vikings?

still just take away peterson?
i still put 8 men in the box. Favre is better then what they have but he's still coming off surgery, right? you make him prove he's got the arm to beat you. plus he's good for 16-24 turnovers a year.

Mike BLAOWery

Post by Mike BLAOWery »

Brougham33 wrote:
Mike BLAOWery wrote:the guy is scum but he's also a better QB then anyone on their roster.

He's made them super bowl contenders, unfortunately.

It's the Vikings and the NFC East.

and then there's everyone else.
:larry:

Favre is the third best quarterback in his division. I don't say that cause I'm jocking the Bears, I'm just saying he doesn't all of a sudden put them over the hump. As always he is hit or miss. And given his age I'd say odds are he might hurt this team when it matters. Also calling a team super bowl contenders in the NFC is kind of pointless. They were contenders before he got there and they are still contenders.
I agree that he's the third best QB in his division. But the Vikings had shit for QBs. Both Sage and Tavaris are backup caliber QBs to me. If favre plays average NFL QB, the Vikings will be much better then they were last year. I don't think they were contenders for this. They had a lot of talent but they also had a couple of glaring weaknesses.

If Brett can rein in his inner cowboy, then this is a coup. Mangini couldn't do it so let's see if Childress has the intestinal fortitude not to name his next new born, Brett.

Mike BLAOWery

Post by Mike BLAOWery »

drug wrote:
jamrage wrote:I can't believe that a Vikings fan wouldn't be thrilled by this signing

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ this:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Mike BLAOWery

Post by Mike BLAOWery »

D. James wrote:
jazzmatazz23 wrote:we need a game manager that can make quality throws. Not a 40 year old gun slinger that turns the ball over more then any qb that has ever played the game.

25 millions dollars in 2 years?

Greenbay dumped him for a reason.

HE IS UNCLUTCH.
Favre's last year in Green Bay, they went 13-3 and made it to the NFC Championship. They ran Favre out of town in favor of Rodgers and failed to make the playoffs. So how'd that work out for them?
I think that's unfair. Especially since Aaron Rodgers played extremely well last season.

I think the defense taking a couple steps backward had more to do with it. But they added some talent and a new scheme so they look like they have a lot of potential for this year. The defense is definitely going to transition during the first half of the year but if the offense can carry the defense and ride it out, this can be a scary team in the 2nd half.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

the new John Madden game will come out today with Favre ranked at 82.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

you mean the roster update is going to drop today???

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

VideoKilledThe wrote:you mean the roster update is going to drop today???
cheah

HomeSkillet

Post by HomeSkillet »

that map is hilarious

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Mike BLAOWery wrote: I think the cutler move has made the bears overrated. yeah he's better then what they had before but their WRs are still not good. Also, their pass defense last year was atrocious. I'm not a big fan of their DBs. They don't generate much of a pass rush imo. They get by on causing turnovers.
The Bears pass defense was actually slight better than average last year allowing 5.9 YPA raking 11th. The Vikings where slightly behind that at 6.0 YPA. If you use adjusted netYPA The Bears allowed 4.23 YPA while the Vikings allowed 4.68. The difference in gross yardage is down to the nearly 100 extra pass attempts against the Bears compared to the Vikings.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

an-also

Post by an-also »

from Yahoo

Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:26 am EDT

The Shutdown Five: Favorite Brett Favre press conference quotes
By MJD

1. "I'm not gonna lie to ya ..."

Favre used those six words to start his response to an innocuous question about what it felt like to put on a Vikings helmet. It's a small issue, but it doesn't matter: It will forever be hilarious when Brett Favre(notes) uses those six words. If there's anything that this whole experience has proved, it's that yes, Brett Favre will absolutely lie to you. White lies, bold-faced lies, lies of omission ... they're all in the Brett Favre playbook

2. "I think [my return is] great for football. I can't see how you wouldn't think it would be."

Who are you, Kenny Powers? That might be the most egotistical thing any athlete has ever said. "My presence is great for football" is narcissistic enough, but to add on top of it that you can't even fathom how anyone else would feel differently -- particularly in the light of your interception-fest last year and your attention-mongering over the last few months -- is amazing.

That's a level of self-love that most humans can never achieve. Kim Jong-il heard that line and thought, "Geez, that guy might want to tone it down a bit."

3. "I don't know what Brad did, but ... J.D.'s a southern boy, too. Must've talked him into it somehow. I was hopin' I wouldn't have to come offer too much money."

That was in response to potentially having to honor NFL tradition by paying John David Booty(notes) for the number four.

But yes, by all means, Mr. Favre/Powers, who is making $12 million guaranteed for one season; more than Booty might make in his entire career, you should not have to adhere to NFL custom and pay the lesser-known player for his number. You work hard for that Wrangler money.

And frankly, John David Booty, you just don't play like a little kid out there. So Brett Favre is going to take his $10,000 -- which he makes for every 48 seconds of Vikings football, whether he's on the field or not -- and buy some awesome new lawnmower instead. Oh, and he's also probably going to put you out a job, too. Sorry. Enjoy being a Florida Tusker.

4. "Don't watch."

That is what Brett Favre has to say to the people out there who might have gotten tired of the two-year "I'm retired, no I'm not" soap opera. Back on the Joe Buck Show, Brett Favre seemed to acknowledge the circus and to be slightly apologetic and embarrassed about it, but I guess that's out the window. If you don't like what he's doing, you can simply choose to ignore ESPN, ESPN News, and the NFL Network. I think that leaves Lifetime and the Home Shopping Network. Thank you for your advice with my cable package, sir.

5. "If you're true Packer fans, you'd understand."

Ah, the coup de grace ... where Brett Favre has the nerve to stand in front of Packers fans and tell them which of them are "true" fans and which ones are not. I don't know when Brett Favre became the great arbiter of Packer fanhood, but I love the new rule: "If you don't sympathize with me, you are not a Packers fan." That's not arrogant at all.

-----

Everyone struggles sometimes with making decisions. If you're looking for a textbook, though, on how not to handle your inability to make a decision -- especially when it effects so many other people -- Brett Favre just wrote it for you. Now that it's all over and it ended up where we always thought it would, I don't think Brett Favre could have damaged his public image any worse if he had tried.

It's not about whether or not he wants to play football. He certainly has every right to keep playing, as well as every right to not be able to make up his mind about playing. The way he handled it, though, with a shocking lack of grace, honesty, consideration and forthrightness, was, in my opinion, extremely poor.

This whole farce is something that will always be attached to his name, and that's a shame. His career has been too good and too enjoyable to be tarnished by something like this, but there's no avoiding it now. Even if he goes out with another Super Bowl win, the mention of Brett Favre's name will forever have a bit of a "punchline" feel to it.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Mike BLAOWery wrote:
drug wrote:
jamrage wrote:I can't believe that a Vikings fan wouldn't be thrilled by this signing

:lol: :lol: :lol: @ this:
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Mike BLAOWery wrote:I'm not a big fan of their DBs.
The Bears secondary is wack, no doubt. Team weakness numero uno.

This is the dopest DT rotation that I've ever seen, though:

Tommie Harris
Marcus Harrison
Israel Idonije
Dusty Dvoracek
Anthony Adams
Jarron Gilbert

We'll also be able to move Idonije and Gilbert to DE if the situation calls for it. Gilbert looked like a freak in the first preseason game.

Yeah, DT rotation ain't the end-all-be-all, but it's of primary importance when it comes to stopping the run, and we're gonna stuff some motherfuckers.

We'll get by on turnovers because teams will be forced to throw the ball in the vast majority of cases, which means that we'll have a shitload of INT opportunities.

Angelo is a legendary DT scout. It's a shame that he doesn't know anything about DBs, though.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Why do people believe he is an obvious upgrade over the other QB on the Vikings roster? Again using adjusted gross yardage Farve had 4.31 YPA, Jackson had 5.82 and Sage Rosenfels 5.10 last year. Yes line, wr etc etc come into play but even considering this Farve played on a better line using the stats OL stats from Football Outsiders and had better WR than anyone other than Rosenfels last year. The one up year he did have in 07 GB sent a personal trainer down to Mississippi in the off season to make sure he stuck to an off season program, that is still the only time he has done so in his career. If this move was made for Ticket Sales fine I understand that but if it was done to win they already have at least two QBs on the rooster that are better than him.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

ThaJim2 wrote:The Bears pass defense was actually slight better than average last year allowing 5.9 YPA raking 11th. The Vikings where slightly behind that at 6.0 YPA. If you use adjusted netYPA The Bears allowed 4.23 YPA while the Vikings allowed 4.68. The difference in gross yardage is down to the nearly 100 extra pass attempts against the Bears compared to the Vikings.
Hey poor man's ER, I have lost years off of my life because of our atrocious pass defense, and I'm usually glued to every single minute of every game.

What you got, stat sheets? :lol:

I thought you retired, dun.

an-also

Post by an-also »

D. James wrote:They ran Favre out of town in favor of Rodgers and failed to make the playoffs.
:retard: :retard: :retard: :retard:

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Roy Johnson wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:The Bears pass defense was actually slight better than average last year allowing 5.9 YPA raking 11th. The Vikings where slightly behind that at 6.0 YPA. If you use adjusted netYPA The Bears allowed 4.23 YPA while the Vikings allowed 4.68. The difference in gross yardage is down to the nearly 100 extra pass attempts against the Bears compared to the Vikings.
Hey poor man's ER, I have lost years off of my life because of our atrocious pass defense, and I'm usually glued to every single minute of every game.

What you got, stat sheets? :lol:

I thought you retired, dun.
Last year the Bears pass defense looked a lot worse mostly because of the surprising number of games that where "shootouts" in the forth quarter. The Bears where in the top 5 if memory serves me correct in 4th quarter pass attempts and number 1 in 4th quarter attempts against. As average as the Bears are the Vikings are more so.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

ThaJim2 wrote:Last year the Bears pass defense looked a lot worse mostly because of the surprising number of games that where "shootouts" in the forth quarter. The Bears where in the top 5 if memory serves me correct in 4th quarter pass attempts and number 1 in 4th quarter attempts against. As average as the Bears are the Vikings are more so.
But seriously -

Bottom 5 CB Rotation
Tillman
Vasher
McBride
Graham
Bowman

Bottom 5 Safety Rotation
Payne
Manning
Afalava
Steltz
Bullocks

It's bad. Angelo don't know shit about DBs.

I don't know if there's any light at the end of the tunnel. Gotta hope and pray that Afalava works out. White boy Steltz is just too fucking slow - another boneheaded selection, apparently.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

ThaJim2 wrote:Why do people believe he is an obvious upgrade over the other QB on the Vikings roster? Again using adjusted gross yardage Farve had 4.31 YPA, Jackson had 5.82 and Sage Rosenfels 5.10 last year. Yes line, wr etc etc come into play but even considering this Farve played on a better line using the stats OL stats from Football Outsiders and had better WR than anyone other than Rosenfels last year. The one up year he did have in 07 GB sent a personal trainer down to Mississippi in the off season to make sure he stuck to an off season program, that is still the only time he has done so in his career. If this move was made for Ticket Sales fine I understand that but if it was done to win they already have at least two QBs on the rooster that are better than him.
Jesus, where the fuck you been Jim?

I think you have to consider Favre's injury when looking at last years stats, but Favre has infinitely more experience than both of those guys put together.

They're still going to run the shit out of the ball, but now they've got a legitimate down the field threat as well.

They're making the playoffs barring catastrophic injuries, and as others have said are a legitimate Super Bowl threat.

If Favre fucks up you can always put in one of the other two guys, but again, I don't see why any Vikings fans wouldn't think their team is better now.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

drug

Post by drug »

These 2 are pretty great as well:

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

drug wrote:Image
:rofl:

Mike BLAOWery

Post by Mike BLAOWery »

Roy Johnson wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:Last year the Bears pass defense looked a lot worse mostly because of the surprising number of games that where "shootouts" in the forth quarter. The Bears where in the top 5 if memory serves me correct in 4th quarter pass attempts and number 1 in 4th quarter attempts against. As average as the Bears are the Vikings are more so.
But seriously -

Bottom 5 CB Rotation
Tillman
Vasher
McBride
Graham
Bowman

Bottom 5 Safety Rotation
Payne
Manning
Afalava
Steltz
Bullocks

It's bad. Angelo don't know shit about DBs.

I don't know if there's any light at the end of the tunnel. Gotta hope and pray that Afalava works out. White boy Steltz is just too fucking slow - another boneheaded selection, apparently.
Minny's secondary depth chart is better then Chicago's secondary depth chart on a talent level, imo. I also think minnesota's secondary is helped out by the fact that Minnesota generates a better pass rush then Chicago does.

and since you like Footballoutsiders so much, you can go look there and see that Minnesota's pass defense was better then Chicago's (also according to FO.com, chicago's pass defense is in the top 10). So was the rush defense probably because both of the Williams are beasts.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Mike BLAOWery wrote:So was the rush defense probably because both of the Williams are beasts.
NFC North is running the show when it comes to the DT position, good god.

:icedit: NFC East got a lot of awesome DTs as well.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Only thing I can say about Favre in a semi-positive note is I hope he doesn't get hurt, if that was to happen we may never here the end of it.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

:lol: jay glazer rules

Glazer Hits Back At ESPN
19th August, 2009 - 1:06 pm
TheBigLead - Jay Glazer broke the news on Monday that the Vikings were again pursuing Brett Favre, which was subsequently mocked by certain members of ESPN.

Favre famously signed with the Vikings on Tuesday.

Glazer hit back in a radio interview.

"I like an awful lot of guys over at that network, but when you get petty and mock me, or youג€™re make fun of me ג€¦ donג€™t do that with me ג€¦ if youג€™re going to say something, just say something youג€™d be willing to say to me," said Glazer.

"The way i go about life, if youג€™re not willing to say it life behind a 7-eleven with someone, donג€™t say it say it ג€¦ itג€™s just sports. They just take it so seriously."

:copy:
Last edited by capable_keL on Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

AFC west has some nice DT's as well

The Chargers man himself Jwall

Glen Dorsey
tommy kelly
UBM CD COMING SOON