Fantasy Football Q&A/advice/rankings Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Positive A wrote:
jamrage wrote:I probably wouldn't start him if I had Avery.

Indianapolis is going to beat the shit out of St. Louis so you know St. Louis will be throwing a ton this week.

The Texans run defense is what's suspect, they've been improving the pass defense.
Agreed. San Fran gets little to no production from the WR spot. Stash Crabtree until he starts proving.
Thanks, fellas. I'm gonna start Avery, even though the gambler in me wants to go with Crabtree.

I was extremely high on Avery heading into the draft, but he really fucked me over early in the season, particularly against the Redskins and Packers (4 receptions for 16 yards w/ a lost fumble over those two games - my fucking hero). He did have that nice game against the Vikings a couple weeks back, though.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Roy Johnson wrote:
Positive A wrote:
jamrage wrote:I probably wouldn't start him if I had Avery.

Indianapolis is going to beat the shit out of St. Louis so you know St. Louis will be throwing a ton this week.

The Texans run defense is what's suspect, they've been improving the pass defense.
Agreed. San Fran gets little to no production from the WR spot. Stash Crabtree until he starts proving.
Thanks, fellas. I'm gonna start Avery, even though the gambler in me wants to go with Crabtree.

I was extremely high on Avery heading into the draft, but he really fucked me over early in the season, particularly against the Redskins and Packers (4 receptions for 16 yards w/ a lost fumble over those two games - my fucking hero). He did have that nice game against the Vikings a couple weeks back, though.
Well you know I'm going to be watching that game, so if Crabtree goes off I'm gonna be doubly pissed. Gore is back this week so I think they're going to try to run it down Houston's throat and try the ball control game.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Stunna7516

Post by Stunna7516 »

bigcat, your team is pretty similar to mine. Im in a 14 team league and I feel like my team is pretty stacked.

QB: schaub, garrard
RB: s. jackson, b. westbrook, pierre thomas, ray rice, jerious norwood
WR: welker, sims-walker, torry holt, jacoby jones, josh morgan
TE: antonio gates
D/ST: broncos, bears
K: l. tynes

assuming welker and sims-walker continue to stay healthy/productive, I think I have a great shot at winning my league. receiver is by far my weakest position, but my 4 backs are probably the strongest group in the league.

Stunna7516

Post by Stunna7516 »

ouch horrible day for me so far... the broncos, ray rice, and sims-walker have bye weeks and I got 0 points from jacoby jones and the bears gave up 45 points to the bengals. definitely gonna take an L this week.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Looking ahead to week 8:

Crabtree vs IND
Avery vs DET

It's PPR, and with Crabtree getting 5 receptions against the Texans in his first game, you gotta think that he's gonna receive a lot of targets vs Indianapolis.

But then again, the Rams are playing the Lions, which means that Bulger could have his best game of the year.

Yahoo Projections:

Crabtree: 9.24
Avery: 8.32

Who would you start?

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Ricky Williams for the W!!

I got deangleo Williams.. After those two weeks I am trying to offload him cause I am pretty sure that was his high point.. Does D Williams, Bowe, and Mason for Benson (has great week 15/16 matchups) and Desean Jackson sound good for me? Currently this my starting lineup.

Manning
Andre Johnson
V Jackson
Bowe/Mason
D Williams
Turner
R Williams
T Gonzalez
Tynes
Philly D

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Great trade for you, pull that trigger.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

@Roy Johnson
I'm leaning towards Donnie Avery simply because of the defensive match-up. That said, I don't think you can go wrong either way.

@naturalborn103
Fairly even trade. I'm the type that's never convinced someone is past their peak midway through a season, but considering you're getting Benson in return, you come out even at worst. At WR, DJax is a serious upgrade and should give you a ridiculous 1-2-3. The only question now is with regards to Andre Johnson's health.

Random thoughts and the like:
-Great fantasy week for me. Picked up a W over the top team in the league, moving me into 2nd in the standings (and 1st in overall points on the year). 118 - 90.
-Notable performances: Brees (19), Welker (16), D. Jackson (24), Pitt D/ST (21).
-Notable injury: Chris Cooley. Hopefully word about the length of his injury comes out quickly. I'm working with somewhat limited roster spots (until/unless I can trade some of the extras with value), and I need a defense this week.
-Acquisition: Celek arriving just in time for Cooley's bye/injury, hopefully he gets back on track and back in the end zone.
-Waiver wire: Defense needed. Leaning towards Arizona, [Denver, of course, got scooped up while I was trying to decide who to cut]. One week move, pretty good defensive match-up vs. CAR. Sound about right? Any sleepers I should look at?

:didntread:

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

We had agreed on principle but he never pressed accept... After how D Jackson did last night he denied the trade.. :(

Question. How much more is Ronnie Brown worth then Ricky Williams??

*edit* I ended up doing V Jackson, R Williams for Welker, R Brown, and Palmer (probably drop him)

uh zip zoom

Post by uh zip zoom »

i have a high waiver priority and just lost leon washington. do i pick up shonn greene or jamaal charles?

my gut says charles because greene won't truly blow up unless something also happens to jones. while charles isn't likely to blow up, it could happen, and regardless he will get the opportunity to be The Guy.

drop some knowledge on me.

Stunna7516

Post by Stunna7516 »

uh zip zoom wrote:i have a high waiver priority and just lost leon washington. do i pick up shonn greene or jamaal charles?

my gut says charles because greene won't truly blow up unless something also happens to jones. while charles isn't likely to blow up, it could happen, and regardless he will get the opportunity to be The Guy.

Id take JC, much more upside there. Thomas Jones still got over 100 yards against the Raiders, so SG's big week last week probably won't be a regular thing any time soon.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

Stunna7516 wrote:
uh zip zoom wrote:i have a high waiver priority and just lost leon washington. do i pick up shonn greene or jamaal charles?

Id take JC, much more upside there. Thomas Jones still got over 100 yards against the Raiders, so SG's big week last week probably won't be a regular thing any time soon.
Definitely agreed. I can never make a good argument for the one-week wonders- especially when they had their big week against a sub-standard team.

Greene is worth keeping an eye on (and maybe stocking if you have room on your roster), but Jamaal Charles is the more proven option and he'll see additional carries with LJ on suspension.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

BigCat8 wrote:-Waiver wire: Defense needed. Leaning towards Arizona, [Denver, of course, got scooped up while I was trying to decide who to cut]. One week move, pretty good defensive match-up vs. CAR. Sound about right? Any sleepers I should look at?

:didntread:
Any chance New Orleans is still available? They have the best schedule moving forward.

Arizona also has good match ups come fantasy playoff time

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

Ramen wrote:
BigCat8 wrote:-Waiver wire: Defense needed. Leaning towards Arizona, [Denver, of course, got scooped up while I was trying to decide who to cut]. One week move, pretty good defensive match-up vs. CAR. Sound about right? Any sleepers I should look at?
Any chance New Orleans is still available? They have the best schedule moving forward.

Arizona also has good match ups come fantasy playoff time
Nah. NO was the other defense I was looking at. Denver and NO both got scooped within 30 minutes of each other.

I have the Steelers D, which I wouldn't dare sit no matter the match-up, especially after they put up a big number against Minny. The only thing is, no matter what they do, they're not getting me any points on a bye week. Cards are looking like a one-week move, which I'll probably follow by cutting ARI and hitting waivers for another RB if Favre/P. Thomas for Turner doesn't go through.

I know Favre/Thomas for Turner probably sounds absurd, but I'm not playing Favre and Thomas is the most likely candidate to get cut for a defense, so I may as well make him part of the deal. Other team in the deal is 1-6, Warner and Cutler at QB, so I'm hoping he's getting antsy and wants to make a move.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Dropping Pierre Thomas is the craziest thing i've heard, don't you have the lions RB?

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

Ramen wrote:Dropping Pierre Thomas is the craziest thing i've heard, don't you have the lions RB?
Yeah. But I tend to favor RBs who aren't part of a deep backfield because you can more or less count on them for a certain number of touches. Kevin Smith won't see the field less if a second RB starts to get on a roll. Smith hasn't had any spectacular games, but he's been pretty consistently in the double-figures save for one or two games. Thomas had two huge games, but both of those came while Bell was injured. Since Bell's return, Pierre's posted a 7 and a 4.

Considered cutting Chris Cooley while he's injured, but I think I'd rather he doesn't get scooped by someone with enough room to make a move for him.

For argument's sake, my updated roster:
QB - Brees, Favre, E. Manning
RB - Gore, S. Jackson, K. Smith, P. Thomas
WR - Welker, R. White, D. Jackson, Sims-Walker
TE - Cooley, Celek
K - Kris Brown
D/ST - Pittsburgh

I'm hoping to thin out a little bit at the QB position ASAP, but if my trade isn't accepted/rejected by evening tomorrow, I've got to do something to make room for a defense.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Favre and Manning can't be trusted.

I got lucky and traded Favre to a Vikings homer for Flacco and Steven Jackson

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

BigCat8 wrote: I'm the type that's never convinced someone is past their peak midway through a season,
Yea, but he just had two easy games and racked up some points.. but considering he shares carries, is on a horrible team that will almost never have a lead, and has a tough games in playoffs, I think its time to get what I can for him. My current line up is

Manning
A Johnson
Welker
Bowe/ Mason
R Brown
Turner
T Gonzalez
Deangelo Williams

I got Donald Brown, Mike Bell, Lee Evans and Jamaal Charles on my bench. Would D Williams and Bowe for Calvin Johnson and Beanie Wells make sense?

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

WR
Donald Driver
Brandon Marshall
Derrick Mason
Hakeem Nicks
Percy Harvin

RB
Brian Westbrook
Michael Turner
Willis McGahee
Correll Buckhalter
Tashard Choice

Pick 3 WR,and 2 RB and i have no flex.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Nl5H wrote:WR
Donald Driver
Brandon Marshall
Derrick Mason
Hakeem Nicks
Percy Harvin

RB
Brian Westbrook
Michael Turner
Willis McGahee
Correll Buckhalter
Tashard Choice

Pick 3 WR,and 2 RB and i have no flex.
I'd start Driver, Mason, and Marshall. Nicks has scored a lot, but he's the third receiving option. Harvin might have a big game, but he's the biggest gamble of them all.

At Rb Westbrook is coming off a concussion and will be a game time decision. Turner is pretty much a must start no matter the opponent, he's good for a td every week. As for the other starter I don't know. Choice and McGahee seem to be far too hit and miss to warrant a start. They might have a good game, but they might get you no points at all. So for me it's between Buckhalter and Westbrook depending on his status.

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

prec. jamrage...i was thinking the same thing as far as the rb go.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Nl5H wrote:prec. jamrage...i was thinking the same thing as far as the rb go.
Sure thing man, I'm sure you'll help me out in the future with this as well

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

naturalborn103 wrote: Would D Williams and Bowe for Calvin Johnson and Beanie Wells make sense?
All things being equal I would probably make that trade, but I'd be careful right now. Calvin Johnson is STILL hurt and hasn't practiced yet this week. They're coming off a bye as well, so I wouldn't hit the okay button just yet.

BigCat8

Post by BigCat8 »

jamrage is on point. Buck will split carries, but still see a large share of them. Turner is a no-brainer. Westbrook is probably not going to play this week (Eagles picked up Saints practice squad PJ Hill for insurance at the RB position). "Game-time decision", but I have my doubts. The only major swing I could see is the match-up game:

Buckhalter (vs. Bal)
McGahee (vs. Den)
Choice (vs. Sea)
Turner (vs. NO)
Westbrook (vs. NYG)

Choice's match-up looks the most appealing, but the sharing of carries with a fully healthy backfield is going to be cause for concern. Agreed on Turner and West/Buck.

Can't really add anything of substance on the WR choices.
-------
RBs this week:
Kevin Smith (vs. StL)
Steven Jackson (vs. Det)
Frank Gore (vs. Ind)

Kevin Smith is a tempting match-up play, especially after Gore put up just 4 points this past week... but I can't convince myself to do something as crazy as bench Frank Gore. I also feel like this is the week Steven Jackson finally gets into the end zone...

Pierre Thomas is my waiver wire sacrifice. I pulled the trigger quickly, as the Eagles D made itself available. Not as good a one-week match-up as the Cards, but more long-term usefulness.

wheels

Post by wheels »

Ryan at NO

or

Favre at GB

?

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Well, Favre was 24-31 with 270 yards, 3 touchdowns, and 0 interceptions when he played against the Packers in week 4, so you know he's gonna be confident as hell going into this game.

Ryan is projected to finish with more points than Favre in yahoo leagues, though. He's had consecutive semi-weak games, but he's obviously a threat to do major damage with an arsenal that includes Roddy White, Tony Gonzalez, Michael Turner, etc. Dude just went four straight games without getting sacked, but he also had four interceptions in those contests, so he may have a tendency to force some stupid throws in an effort to avoid contact. The Saints defense tends to capitalize on more interception opportunities than most teams, so I'd be hesitant to start Ryan if I had other options.

I'd go with Favre.

You should trade for Ortman, yo.

wheels

Post by wheels »

Last week Ryan threw an interception after the game was already lost, which sucked. I think you're right though.

I actually got offered Schaub, C. Benson, and Steve Smith

for AP, 85, and the Ravens D.

but 85 is my best receiver, I don't have a backup D, and AP > CB is arguably a downgrade.

The guy isn't in my division though. Thoughts?

wheels

Post by wheels »

Big Kyle is taken, I bet he hits waivers soon though

Nl5H

Post by Nl5H »

gotta go with favre vs. gb...

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

wheels wrote:Last week Ryan threw an interception after the game was already lost, which sucked. I think you're right though.

I actually got offered Schaub, C. Benson, and Steve Smith

for AP, 85, and the Ravens D.

but 85 is my best receiver, I don't have a backup D, and AP > CB is arguably a downgrade.

The guy isn't in my division though. Thoughts?
I wouldn't do that trade.

Besides the downgrade from AP to Ced, you might be giving up the 2009 runner-up to Randy Moss for most fantasy points out of the WR slot. In the PF PPR league, Chad has 106.6 points, which is only 1.4 behind Moss. Palmer is really starting to heat up, so if he can stay healthy, Johnson will continue to put up fantastic numbers. Of course, the Bengals have a couple tough games coming up against the Ravens and Steelers, but after that, they get to play some of the worst defensive teams in the league: Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland, Kansas City, etc. I'd look for Chad to really explode in those games.