NBA 2009-2010 regular season thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Mike BLAOWery

NBA 2009-2010 regular season thread

Post by Mike BLAOWery »

Tonight, a lot of us wake up from our slumber.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Not looking forward to this season at all. The Nets are gonna be putrid and my only incentive to watch the team is Devin Harris running around people and Brook Lopez continuing his evolution into a beast.

Lebron in a Nets uniform next October could really do a lot to rejuvenate my interest though :gyeah:

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

Griffin out 6weeks with a broken kneecap, I'd avoid the clippers like the plague lol

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Big baby broke his thumb when he got into a fight with his old LSU teammate. Out 6-8 weeks.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

I have no clue what Raptors team is showing up this season, but at least it'll be interesting to find out. There's actually bit of a defense and toughness now that Amir Johnson and Reggie Evans are here (although Evans is still out with the ankle injury).

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

naturalborn103 wrote:Big baby broke his thumb when he got into a fight with his old LSU teammate. Out 6-8 weeks.
I heard it could possibly be a season ending injury. This infuriates me. Fuck him.

Couple of thoughts:

1) Rondo turned down the Celtics generous extension offer of 9 mil a year because he thinks he's a 12 mil player (lol). He'll be a restricted free agent next year, and the team that he'll wind up on imo is the Knicks.

2) I think Shaq plan is not going to work.
A) cold weather city
B) no more PHX trainers= more injuries
C) The Cavs are going to get destroyed by the pick and roll
D) Z (their backup now) is probably the more effective player for this team

I wouldn't be shocked if the Cavs try to trade Shaq for an over priced wing player that another team is trying to dump: Redd and McGrady come to mind.

It's going to be a great season.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Can't wait for the season and to see the rookie crop do something. Too bad about Griffin but at least its just a month or so.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Oden to have a nice bounce back year in terms of production/health.

John Salmons will be awesome in Chicago. Randy Foye is my sleeper for the year.

James will win the MVP and Evans will be ROY.

Last I predicted Rashard Lewis would help the Magic get deep in the playoffs and everyone laughed at me.

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

yezzir, got the spurs tomorrow. gonna miss chandler though.

will be following this dude too. played all 82 games last year for the first time in his career. :cheers: a little late, but i'll take it.

Mike BLAOWery

Post by Mike BLAOWery »

The Rapping Coffin wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:Big baby broke his thumb when he got into a fight with his old LSU teammate. Out 6-8 weeks.
I heard it could possibly be a season ending injury. This infuriates me. Fuck him.

Couple of thoughts:

1) Rondo turned down the Celtics generous extension offer of 9 mil a year because he thinks he's a 12 mil player (lol). He'll be a restricted free agent next year, and the team that he'll wind up on imo is the Knicks.

2) I think Shaq plan is not going to work.
A) cold weather city
B) no more PHX trainers= more injuries
C) The Cavs are going to get destroyed by the pick and roll
D) Z (their backup now) is probably the more effective player for this team

I wouldn't be shocked if the Cavs try to trade Shaq for an over priced wing player that another team is trying to dump: Redd and McGrady come to mind.

It's going to be a great season.
I mentioned reasons B to D as why the shaq trade won't work. But there is another reason.

Lebron is a slasher. A bull of a slasher but a slasher nonetheless. With shaq clogging the middle, there will be more bodies trying to contest lebron's shots or fouling him.

rooski

Post by rooski »

It's time.

Oh God.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

Couple of thoughts:

he had a monster playoff run, and played significantly better in the regular season last year compared to the year before, he was a role player on the championship team, but after KG went out frequently the best player on the court for the Celtics and consistently better than Allen

he's only 23, I don't see how 12/yr is bad from someone like him who's a lock-down defender and his offensive game has been improving each year, he doesn't have the outside shooting game which is a definite downside but everything else is excellent

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Where you hear that?!?

The Rapping Coffin

eternalreflection wrote:

Couple of thoughts:

he had a monster playoff run, and played significantly better in the regular season last year compared to the year before, he was a role player on the championship team, but after KG went out frequently the best player on the court for the Celtics and consistently better than Allen

he's only 23, I don't see how 12/yr is bad from someone like him who's a lock-down defender and his offensive game has been improving each year, he doesn't have the outside shooting game which is a definite downside but everything else is excellent
He didn't have a monster playoff run. He played really well offensively against Rose who is arguably the worst defender in the league at his position, but he played just as shitty defensively. Rondo has even admitted his defense was extremely poor last year because he loses focus and gambles too much.

Rondo also didn't show up in half of the Orlando games (he actually literally didn't show up until game time for game one and shit the bed because of it), and even got outplayed by their PGs for much of the time.

Top 5 PG's and players you'd like to build around do not post 43% eFG% in the playoffs as a sign that they made "the leap." It just boggles my mind that fans watched those playoff games and viewed Rondo's overall performance as an upgrade over what was witnessed during the regular season. Don't get me wrong, he certainly did have moments of brilliance.....however the overall result as an individual player wasn't more than rocky. This isn't baseball. Stats only tell a very small part of the story in basketball.

Also no current PG is worth 12 mil a year in the NBA (Chris Paul excluded), especially a team that's been constructed the way the Celtics have.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Baby's Injury & Rondo
By Gary Tanguay

CSNNE.com has learned that Celtics forward Glen "Big Baby" Davis will be out 6-8 weeks with a broken hand. As reported the Herald's Steve Bulpett, Davis suffered the injury in an altercation with a former teammate visiting from Louisiana.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

eternalreflection wrote:

Couple of thoughts:

He didn't have a monster playoff run. He played really well offensively against Rose who is arguably the worst defender in the league at his position, but he played just as shitty defensively. Rondo has even admitted his defense was extremely poor last year because he loses focus and gambles too much.

Rondo also didn't show up in half of the Orlando games (he actually literally didn't show up until game time for game one and shit the bed because of it), and even got outplayed by their PGs for much of the time.

Top 5 PG's and players you'd like to build around do not post 43% eFG% in the playoffs as a sign that they made "the leap." It just boggles my mind that fans watched those playoff games and viewed Rondo's overall performance as an upgrade over what was witnessed during the regular season. Don't get me wrong, he certainly did have moments of brilliance.....however the overall result as an individual player wasn't more than rocky. This isn't baseball. Stats only tell a very small part of the story in basketball.

Also no current PG is worth 12 mil a year in the NBA (Chris Paul excluded), especially a team that's been constructed the way the Celtics have.
If you think he is a lock down defender then you do not watch the games. He let Anthony Johnson look like a all star. Let Rose have some of the best games of his career... He is good and I like him, but top 5?... 12 mil a year??... I don't think so.
Last edited by naturalborn103 on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Rapping Coffin

naturalborn103 wrote:
Baby's Injury & Rondo
By Gary Tanguay

CSNNE.com has learned that Celtics forward Glen "Big Baby" Davis will be out 6-8 weeks with a broken hand. As reported the Herald's Steve Bulpett, Davis suffered the injury in an altercation with a former teammate visiting from Louisiana.
David Aldridge reported last night he could potentially miss the whole season, but the Globe just said that he will probably be out 3-4 months.

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

eternalreflection wrote:

Couple of thoughts:

i agree that he's a great player... on the celtics. i'm not sold on him being a "great" player elsewhere where he doesn't have as many weapons to distribute to. he'll get the 12 though. that's just the way the league works.

Mike BLAOWery

Post by Mike BLAOWery »

There is no such thing as a shutdown defender @ point guard anymore. You are fooling yourself if you think this is true.

With the rules the way they are, how athletic most of the 1s are now, and how smart/instinctive they are........no point would be able to guard another point.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Mike BLAOWery wrote:There is no such thing as a shutdown defender @ point guard anymore. You are fooling yourself if you think this is true.

With the rules the way they are, how athletic most of the 1s are now, and how smart/instinctive they are........no point would be able to guard another point.
not necessarily shutdown but there are some good PG defenders, Will Bynum, Shannon Brown, Kyle Lowry

Rondo used to be a pretty good defender until he had to pick up his offensive production and became sub par, we'll see this year
UBM CD COMING SOON

axel foley

Post by axel foley »

Mike BLAOWery wrote:There is no such thing as a shutdown defender @ point guard anymore. You are fooling yourself if you think this is true.

i bet if wade didn't have to carry so much of the offensive load, he'd be pretty close.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Steve Nash disagrees!

Mike BLAOWery

Post by Mike BLAOWery »

Nash is canadian.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Warriors might put together the most entertaining 20 win season of all time

PEACE

an-also

Post by an-also »

The Rapping Coffin wrote:Rose who is arguably the worst defender in the league at his position, but he played just as shitty defensively.
:larry:

an-also

Post by an-also »

Quotashun wrote:I have no clue what Raptors team is showing up this season, but at least it'll be interesting to find out. There's actually bit of a defense and toughness now that Amir Johnson and Reggie Evans are here (although Evans is still out with the ankle injury).
our goal should be to make the playoffs. I'll be happy with that

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Finally it's here :bow:
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

an-also

Post by an-also »

Hayzoos wrote:Finally Rose is here :bow:

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

an-also wrote:
Hayzoos wrote:Finally Rose is here :bow:
:lol:

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

my boy who's been watching the preseason games and training camps told me Portland should be official with Dre Miller @ the point, but told me McMillian pissing him off by having him compete for the starting job with Blake. I just hope Oden stays healthy.