MLB Poll: Worst Trade Of The Past Quarter Century

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Worst Trade Of The Past Quarter Century

1987: Tigers trade John Smoltz to the Blue Jays for Doyle Alexander
5%
1987: Royals trade David Cone to the Mets for Ed Hearn
No votes
1987: Cubs trade Dennis Eckersley to the Athletics for three minor league scrubs
No votes
1988: Cubs trade Rafael Palmeiro & Jamie Moyer to the Rangers for Mitch Williams & scrubs
No votes
1988: Red Sox trade Curt Schilling & Brady Anderson to the Orioles for Mike Boddicker
No votes
1988: Yankees trade Jay Buhner to the Mariners for Ken Phelps
No votes
1989: Yankees trade Rickey Henderson to the Athletics for Greg Cadaret, Eric Plunk & Luis Polonia
5%
1989: Mets trade Lenny Dykstra & Roger McDowell to the Philies for Juan Samuel & Tom Edens
No votes
1989: Rangers trade Sammy Sosa & Wilson Alvarez to the White Sox for Harold Baines
No votes
1989: Expos trade Randy Johnson to the Mariners for Mark Langston
5%
1990: Red Sox trade Jeff Bagwell to the Astros for Larry Anderson
No votes
1990: Pirates trade Moises Alou to the Expos for Zane Smith
No votes
1991: Orioles trade Curt Schilling, Steve Finley & Pete Harnisch to the Astros for Glenn Davis
No votes
1991: Astros trade Kenny Lofton & Dave Rohde to the Indians for Willie Blair & Eddie Taubansee
No votes
1992: Brewers trade Gary Sheffield to the Padres for Ricky Bones, Jose Valentin & Matt Miekse
No votes
1992: White Sox trade Sammy Sosa & Ken Patterson to the Cubs for George Bell
No votes
1993: Dodgers trade Pedro Martinez to the Expos for Delino Deshields
5%
1993: Mariners trade Omar Vizquel to the Indians for Felix Fermin & Reggie Jefferson
9%
1993: Padres trade Fred McGriff to the Braves for Melvin Nieves, Donnie Eliott & Vince Moore
No votes
1995: Blue Jays trade David Cone to the Yankees for Marty Janzen, Jason Jarvis & Mike Gordon
No votes
1996: Mets trade Jeff Kent to the Indians for Carlos Baerga
No votes
1997: Athletics trade Mark McGwire to the Cardinals for TJ Matthews, Blake Stein & Eric Ludwick
5%
1997: Devil Rays trade Bobby Abreu to the Philies for Kevin Stocker
No votes
1997: Expos trade Pedro Martinez to the Red Sox for Carl Pavano & Tony Armas
14%
1997: Mariners trade Derek Lowe & Jason Varitek to the Red Sox for Heathcliff Slocumb
14%
1998: Marlins trade Mike Piazza to the Mets for Preston Wilson, Ed Yarnall & Geoff Goetz
No votes
1999: Marlins trade Johan Santana to the Twins for Jared Camp
5%
2000: Blue Jays trade Michael Young to the Rangers for Esteban Loiaza
No votes
2000: Phillies trade Curt Schilling to the D-Backs for Travis Lee, Nelson Figueroa, Vincente Padilla & Omar Daal
5%
2002: Expos trade Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee & Brandon Phillips to the Indians for Bartolo Colon & Tim Drew
18%
2003: Giants trade Francisco Liriano, Joe Nathan & Boof Bonser to the Twins for AJ Pierzynski
14%
2003: Marlins trade Adrian Gonzalez to the Rangers for Ugueth Urbina
No votes
2004: White Sox trade Carlos Lee to the Brewers for Scott Podsednik & Luis Vizcaino
No votes
2004: Royals trade Carlos Beltran to the Astros for Mark Teahen & Joe Buck (Three Team Deal)
No votes
2005: Athletics trade Andre Ethier to the Dodgers for Milton Bradley
No votes
2006: Rangers trade Adrian Gonzalez, Chris Young & Termel Sledge to the Padres for Adam Eaton & Akinori Otsuka
No votes
2006: Brewers trade Carlos Lee & Nelson Cruz to the Rangers for Francisco Cordero, Julian Cordero, Kevin Mench & Laynce Nix
No votes
2006: Mariners trade Shin-Soo Choo to the Indians for Ben Broussard
No votes
2006: Rangers trade John Danks & Nick Masset to the White Sox for Brandon McCarthy
No votes
2007: Diamondbacks trade Brett Anderson, Carlos Gonzalez, Chris Carter & Aaron Cunningham to the Athletics for Dan Haren
No votes
2007: Braves trade Elvis Andrus, Neftali Feliz & Jarrod Saltalamacchia to the Rangers for Mark Teixiera
No votes
2008: Mariners trade Adam Jones, Chris Tillman, Kam Mickolio & George Sherrill to the Orioles for Erik Bedard
No votes
2008: Twins trade Johan Santana to the Mets for Carlos Gomez, Deolis Guerra, Phil Humber & Kevin Mulvey
No votes
2008: Dodgers trade Carlos Santana to the Indians for Casey Blake
No votes
Other
No votes

Total votes: 22

Roy Johnson

MLB Poll: Worst Trade Of The Past Quarter Century

Post by Roy Johnson »

I'm trying to put together a Top 50 list of the worst trades that have taken place since 1985. There are about 45 of 'em listed here, and there's no question that I'm missing some important ones, so please add on. I'm leaving the Scott Kazmir trade out of this - it might have been brutal at the time, but Scott has sucked pretty hard since he left Tampa Bay.
Last edited by Roy Johnson on Tue Jul 27, 2010 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tweak Da Leak wrote:My nigga Poppabitch fucks with the swine?

an-also

Post by an-also »

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

So many, especially Expos trade Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee & Brandon Phillips to the Indians for Bartolo Colon & Tim Drew

But Rickey got traded for basically the same players the A's traded for and he helped them win a World Series in '89.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Philaflava wrote:So many, especially Expos trade Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee & Brandon Phillips to the Indians for Bartolo Colon & Tim Drew
First thing that came to mind when I read the thread title.

One that just missed the cutoffs date (I think it was '84-ish) was when the Phillies traded Larry Bowa and Ryne Sandberg for Ivan Dejesus.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Also, the Santana to the Twins trade shouldn't really be an option as he was a rule-5 draft pick that the Astros left unprotected.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

lot of info homie, killin this shit

killin it

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Tommy Bunz wrote:Also, the Santana to the Twins trade shouldn't really be an option as he was a rule-5 draft pick that the Astros left unprotected.
True, but after the Marlins drafted Johan, they immediately traded him to Minnesota for Shawn Camp. Houston and Florida both get the gas face on that one.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Roy Johnson wrote:
Tommy Bunz wrote:Also, the Santana to the Twins trade shouldn't really be an option as he was a rule-5 draft pick that the Astros left unprotected.
True, but after the Marlins drafted Johan, they immediately traded him to Minnesota for Shawn Camp. Houston and Florida both get the gas face on that one.
Still, it was a pre-arranged deal before the draft which is really common during the rule 5. Marlins wouldn't have taken Johan otherwise.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

chuck knoblaugh trade for christian guzman and eric milton?
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

capable_keL wrote:chuck knoblaugh trade for christian guzman and eric milton?
3 bums. nah that's fair.

citizen

Post by citizen »

"What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?!? He had 30 home runs, over 100 RBIs last year, he's got a rocket for an arm, you don't know what the hell you're doin'!!"

citizen

Post by citizen »

1993: Dodgers trade Pedro Martinez to the Expos for Delino Deshields
seriously though, i remember delino deshields used to be somewhat good, but i remember reading a whole article in a magazine about how this was such a good trade for both teams, seriously bad trade

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Roy Johnson wrote:
Still, it was a pre-arranged deal before the draft which is really common during the rule 5. Marlins wouldn't have taken Johan otherwise.
Gotcha. I saw that he was drafted and traded on the same day, but I assumed that Minnesota contacted Florida for a trade after the Marlins selected him. I had no idea that it was pre-arranged.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

citizen wrote:Image
"What the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for?!? He had 30 home runs, over 100 RBIs last year, he's got a rocket for an arm, you don't know what the hell you're doin'!!"
Well, Buener was a good prospect, no question about it.
But my baseball people love Ken Phelps' bat. They kept saying 'Ken
Phelps , Ken Phelps'.
ken fucking phelps

caught that bit the other night, LOLZ MANIA

internetfront

Post by internetfront »

great thread. :cheers:

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Tommy Bunz wrote:
Philaflava wrote:So many, especially Expos trade Grady Sizemore, Cliff Lee & Brandon Phillips to the Indians for Bartolo Colon & Tim Drew
First thing that came to mind when I read the thread title.
along with the giants/twins trade that involved liriano and nathan as well as the phelps/buhner trade.

i'm willing to disregard trades that helped their team get to the playoffs though. baseball is a sport, moreso then any other sport, where GMs are willing to take a chance to make a run in the present. That is because, if you make the playoffs, it doesn't matter what your record is.......there are so many variables in play, that anyone can legitimately win the world series once you get into the 2nd season. So I respect GMs willing to take a chance on this, actually.

I'll vote on this later.

an-also

Post by an-also »

citizen wrote:Image
:lastweek:

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Philaflava wrote:
capable_keL wrote:chuck knoblaugh trade for christian guzman and eric milton?
3 bums. nah that's fair.
knoby was an all star
guzman was an allstar
milton threw a no no, and won 17 games

around 2002,3,4 it looked like another terry ryan robbery

context baby, context

citizen

Post by citizen »

1991 Reds trade John Wettland to the Expos for Dave Martinez

1976 Reds trade Tony Perez to the Expos for Will McEnaney, Woodie Fryman and Dale Murray

Gregg Popabitch

dave martinez is a scrub but i don't think it's god awful. just a bad trade.

i'm so leaning towards texas trading adrian gonzalez and chris young for adam eaton.....for no reason.

how god awful is that trade?

Stunna7516

Post by Stunna7516 »

The Expos/Indians trade is my favorite, such a good trade. Looks like the Choo and Santana trades are going to be great too. The Indians have made some excellent moves over the past two decades.

Gregg Popabitch

Stunna7516 wrote:The Expos/Indians trade is my favorite, such a good trade. Looks like the Choo and Santana trades are going to be great too. The Indians have made some excellent moves over the past two decades.
Mark Shapiro stays stylin on other GMs.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Yo, I didn't even know about that Sizemore/Phillips/Lee steal. That's amazing. How the fuck do you ship off all that talent, especially when they were so young? I was prepared to vote for the Giants/Twins trade when I came into the thread, but the other trade trumps it by a large margin.

PEACE

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

How is this one looking nowadays?

2007: Marlins trade Miguel Cabrera & Dontrelle Willis to the Tigers for Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller, Mike Rabelo, Dallas Trahern, Burke Badenhop, and Eulogio De La Cruz.

There's still hope for Maybin based on the shit that he's been doing in the minors, but we're talking about Miguel fucking Cabrera. God damn American League MVP.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah that one didn't work out so well but they did pretty good in getting Hanley Ramirez for Josh Beckett

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Stunna7516 wrote:The Expos/Indians trade is my favorite, such a good trade. Looks like the Choo and Santana trades are going to be great too. The Indians have made some excellent moves over the past two decades.
I voted for this. Really wish Sizemore could stay healthy because he is one of the most talented all-around players I've watched.

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Roy Johnson wrote:How is this one looking nowadays?

2007: Marlins trade Miguel Cabrera & Dontrelle Willis to the Tigers for Cameron Maybin, Andrew Miller, Mike Rabelo, Dallas Trahern, Burke Badenhop, and Eulogio De La Cruz.

There's still hope for Maybin based on the shit that he's been doing in the minors, but we're talking about Miguel fucking Cabrera. God damn American League MVP.
Marlins had ZERO chance of retaining him, just like the Piazza deal. Better to get something for them than to just let them walk for free.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Prophecy wrote:

Marlins had ZERO chance of retaining him, just like the Piazza deal. Better to get something for them than to just let them walk for free.
That's true. I'd love to see other trade packages that the Marlins were offered for Cabrera, though.

Gregg Popabitch

Roy Johnson wrote:
Prophecy wrote:

That's true. I'd love to see other trade packages that the Marlins were offered for Cabrera, though.
A lot of these aren't what were offered to the MArlins but what the Marlins were asking for:

-Marlins asked the Indians for Asdrubal Cabrera, Adam Miller, and more. Indians balked.

-Marlins and Angels discussed a package of Howie Kendrick, Jeff Mathis, another prospect, and the Marlins choice of Ervin Santana or Nick Adenhart (sad face).

-The Cardinals acquiring Cabrera hinged on Rasmus being included in a package. The Cards balked.

-Marlins asked SF Giants for Tim Lincecum.

-Marlins wanted 4 of the following players from the Dodgers: Chad Billingsley, Clayton Kershaw, Andy Laroche, James Loney, and Matt Kemp. Dodgers only wanted to include 1 or 2 of them and other prospects. Marlins balked.

-Marlins asked the White Sox for Josh Fields and Gio Gonzalez.

-Marlins asked for Melky Cabrera, one of Ian Kennedy/Hughes/Joba, and 2 of Tabata/ Ohlendorf/humberto sanchez/alan horne.

-Marlins wanted Ellsbury and either Bucholz or Lester.

Roy Johnson

Post by Roy Johnson »

Gilbert Subpoenas wrote:A lot of these aren't what were offered to the MArlins but what the Marlins were asking for:

-Marlins asked the Indians for Asdrubal Cabrera, Adam Miller, and more. Indians balked.

-Marlins and Angels discussed a package of Howie Kendrick, Jeff Mathis, another prospect, and the Marlins choice of Ervin Santana or Nick Adenhart (sad face).

-The Cardinals acquiring Cabrera hinged on Rasmus being included in a package. The Cards balked.

-Marlins asked SF Giants for Tim Lincecum.

-Marlins wanted 4 of the following players from the Dodgers: Chad Billingsley, Clayton Kershaw, Andy Laroche, James Loney, and Matt Kemp. Dodgers only wanted to include 1 or 2 of them and other prospects. Marlins balked.

-Marlins asked the White Sox for Josh Fields and Gio Gonzalez.

-Marlins asked for Melky Cabrera, one of Ian Kennedy/Hughes/Joba, and 2 of Tabata/ Ohlendorf/humberto sanchez/alan horne.

-Marlins wanted Ellsbury and either Bucholz or Lester.
:cheers: