Super Bowl XLVI Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Who will win the Super Bowl?

New England Patriots
41%
New York Football Giants
59%

Total votes: 51

ric

Post by ric »

@naturalborn
i think we are talking about the same pass because there was deep coverage and one middle defender all by his lonesome for like 20 yards in all directions and brady throws it behind branch, and into the hands of the defender and it passes through that guys hands and i think branch had his hands on it but it was close either way and it ends up being behind him.

doesnt really seem like the prescribed move was to sit in that situation. if hes on the cross, he would keep going, and thats what it looked like he was doing and there was TONS of room to throw to and really no defenders around to warrant sitting down (at least that i noticed)

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Finkle and Einhorn got it from here on out, folks.

PEACE

DLG

Post by DLG »

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... d-passes/1

Butterfingers dropped in Boston to jab at Pats' receivers

Wow. Talk about piling on.

CAPTIONPhoto via Twitter/@LadybugLise
As the Super Bowl XLVI champion New York Giants basked in the glow of a ticker-tape parade through Manhattan on Tuesday, a Denver-based online pawn shop took the opportunity to take a jab at the vanquished New England Patriots.

The company, Pawngo, had 8,000 Butterfingers candy bars dropped in on Copley Square in Boston, a not-so-subtle reference to the Patriots receivers' oops moments in Sunday's game.

Wes Welker, Aaron Hernandez and Deion Branch had passes slip through their hands at key moments -- an occurrence that quarterback Tom Brady's wife, super model Gisele Bundchen, referenced in consoling him after the game. Caught on camera in footage that has likely completely circled the interwebs by now, Bundchen lamented that Brady "cannot (expletive) throw the ball and catch the ball at the same time."

For the Patriots sake, let's hope a comeback on all fronts doesn't take another four years.

GetToStepping

Post by GetToStepping »

jamrage wrote:
GetToStepping wrote:
jamrage wrote:
Reason wrote:
Reason wrote:THIS WILL GET LOST IN SPORTS BETTING THREAD AND UNDERAPPRECIATED:

a friend of a friend made the following fucking bet...WHO DOES THIS? HOLY

HOLY FUCKING FUCK FUCK FUCK SHIT SHIT FUCKING HOLY FUCK

not even on a safety..on a GIANTS SAFETY
That dude should have gotten 100/1 for picking the team too.

I think I heard about this on the radio today. Crazy. When the safety happened my first reaction was damn, someone just made a lot of money. Vegas loved it because they raked it in because of that play. One $50,000 ticket pales in comparison to all the money they took.
The NY Times had an article about Vegas standing to lose big if the Giants won. Apparently a lot of the houses accepted a lot of 80 to 1 bets six weeks back that the Giants would win it all. Not sure how ppl bet after the line was set though.
I was specifically talking about bets on who would score first. Very few people bet on the first score being a safety so Vegas did well in that regard. How many people threw a G down on the first score being a Giants safety vs. say, a Nicks, Welker, or Gronkowski touchdown?

I would be interested to hear about how Vegas did overall. The line didn't move too much, so I can only assume that the money was spread pretty evenly on both sides.

But yeah, 80 to 1 six weeks ago had lots of takers I'm sure.
I heard on the radio that Vegas made I think about $5M on the Super Bowl.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Bill Belichick dared the New York Giants to throw to Mario Manningham and paid the price.

[+] Enlarge
Win McNamee/Getty Images
Mario Manningham caught this pass on the sideline in the fourth quarter, somehow getting both feet in bounds.
Before the Giants' game-winning drive in Super Bowl XLVI, the New England Patriots coach told his team not to get beat by receivers Victor Cruz and Hakeem Nicks.

"This is still a Cruz-and-Nicks game," Belichick was heard saying in audio recorded for NFL Films. "I know we're right on them. It's tight, but those are still the guys. Make them go to Manningham, make them go to (Bear) Pascoe. Let's make sure we get Cruz and Nicks."

The Giants started the drive at their own 12-yard line with 3:46 left in the game and trailing 17-15. On the first play, Giants quarterback Eli Manning dropped a perfect pass down the sidelines to Manningham, who somehow made the catch and got two feet down for a 38-yard gain.

Patriots quarterback Tom Brady was also miked for NFL Films and after watching the replay of the grab, he said, "He caught it."

The Patriots challenged whether Manningham was in bounds. They lost, the Giants were in business and went on to score the go-ahead touchdown. The Patriots actually allowed Ahmad Bradshaw to waltz into the end zone with about a minute left so they would get the ball back.

Before the score, Patriots Jerod Mayo and Vince Wilfork are overheard telling players in the huddle: "We gotta let them score, got to let them score."

The Patriots had been forced to give up the ball after receiver Wes Welker failed to make a tough catch that would have given the Pats a key first down as they tried to eat up the clock.

Referee John Parry, talking to another official, was caught on tape saying of the Welker play: "That was the game."

Among other interesting audio released by the league, Giants players were trying to figure out the health of Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski. He had suffered a high ankle sprain in the AFC title game and didn't appear to be at full speed in the Super Bowl.

In the third quarter, Giants linebacker Michael Boley says: "Hey, 87's a (expletive) decoy, he's a decoy. ג€¦ He's about to be outta here."
Nets 2022

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

GetToStepping wrote:I heard on the radio that Vegas made I think about $5M on the Super Bowl.
was that birdmans bet?

ric

Post by ric »

that nfl network sound fx show was great. saw it earlier. fucking cool stuff. love that they do shit like that, although most sound fx shows are just grunting and congratulations with a few conversations sprinkled in.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Ramen wrote:
GetToStepping wrote:I heard on the radio that Vegas made I think about $5M on the Super Bowl.
was that birdmans bet?
i don't know how anyone could calculate all that especially so fast, but if that's true vegas got raped so hard if that 5 mill includes juice
Nets 2022