Official European Football 2012 Regular Season Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Req

Re: Official European Football 2012 Regular Season Thread

Post by Req »

Dortmund. Fucking hell.
F.U. MOOLAH

b0mbs_of_death

Post by b0mbs_of_death »

Watched the Dortmund/Malaga match with a neighbor who only watches Mexican league. We both were screamin like idiots in the last few. Best game of the tournament so far

ian e

Post by ian e »

agree. it was insane.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Fucking Barca. How could anyone root for those faggots. Goddamn Pedro is such a fucking bitch.

Too bad that PSG and Malaga didn't advance despite outplaying their opponents.

Can only hope that the Spanish and German clubs don't face each other.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ian e

Post by ian e »

outplaying their opponents? i didnt watch the barca/psg game, but dortmund clearly has been the better team in aggregate. they weren't efficient enough in the first game tho... but overall they're the better team. and able to put on a bigger fight against any of the other three come the semi-finals.

edit: :rofl: at basel's defending prior 0:1.

edit²: :bunk: :ohsh: :larry:

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

:ohsh: I'm tuning in to this game just now.

I hope Spurs go through.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

Penalties!!!!

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

For fuck's sake.

Comedy Quaddafi

LOL @ Adebayor laughing after he missed the penalty. He just doesn't give a shit.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

Req

Post by Req »

LOL@letting an England player take a penalty
F.U. MOOLAH

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

ian e wrote:outplaying their opponents? i didnt watch the barca/psg game, but dortmund clearly has been the better team in aggregate. they weren't efficient enough in the first game tho... but overall they're the better team. and able to put on a bigger fight against any of the other three come the semi-finals.
You didn't watch the Barca/PSG so let's not go too much into that. All I'll say is that PSG's attack was much more threatening the whole match, especially when they pushed up their wingbacks and Lucas was the best player on the pitch the first half. They were fortunate they did enough in Paris to get by but both games ended in a draw so that should tell you something.

BVB looked average against Malaga in the second leg. I agree that on paper they're more talented and are better suited to stand up against the remaining 3 but how's that relevant? Games aren't decided on paper or Playstation. They were clearly outplayed in Dortmund and their attack was pedestrian at best. Their first goal was a thing of beauty but Malaga was disciplined and created better opportunities, just didn't finish early on. And I won't even get into the last goal.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ian e

Post by ian e »

You're right about them being average in the second leg. It was their worst CL-performance this season. Sure, games aren't decided on paper, but they won, didn't they? The last goal was offside, no doubt. But to be fair, so was Malagas second goal. And what you've said about Malaga in the second leg can be easily applied to Dortmund in the first. So in total, I think, they've deserved the win.

I'm hoping for Barca vs Bayern / BVB vs Real pairings in the semifinals. Shit will be ill.

Y@k Bollocks
Location: I was wearing Sergio Tacchini before the internet existed

Post by Y@k Bollocks »

So what's the deal if Chelsea win the Europa League? I can't work it out. They could finish 5th and qualify for group stages of the Champions League, right? I remember the hoo hah with Liverpool and Everton in 2006 but can't remember what came of that in the longer term.

I'm trying to picture some situation where Spurs finish 4th and Chelsea stitch them up, again...

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Fucking Arsenal deserve to be fucking relegated.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Wow, Norwich, Chelsea, and Spurs should be fucking livid at the finish.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

stupidregister wrote:Wow, Norwich, Chelsea, and Spurs should be fucking livid at the finish.
What fucking garbage that penalty was, and for the linesman to call it...It was over after that, Norwich had their spirit broken.

I knew that Spurs were going to be behind Arsenal going into next week, Arsenal play two more games before Spurs play against City, but good Christ that was shit.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Y@k Bollocks wrote:So what's the deal if Chelsea win the Europa League? I can't work it out. They could finish 5th and qualify for group stages of the Champions League, right? I remember the hoo hah with Liverpool and Everton in 2006 but can't remember what came of that in the longer term.

I'm trying to picture some situation where Spurs finish 4th and Chelsea stitch them up, again...
Winning the Europa League has no effect on the Champions League, so no, Chelsea would need to finish top four to qualify for the Champions League.

Req

Post by Req »

MilLAWL
F.U. MOOLAH

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

:owens:

Comedy Quaddafi

:lol:

Of course its a penalty when you grab a players shirt and pull him down to the ground inside the box.

Third place :cheers:

Enjoy your thursday nights next year.
- MB

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote::lol:

Of course its a penalty when you grab a players shirt and pull him down to the ground inside the box.

Third place :cheers:

Interesting that the ref on the pitch didn't think it was a penalty.

Surprised you aren't calling for the Norwich player to have been red carded and summarily executed.

Bravo on barely managing to beat a team that's in the relegation fight. This shit ain't over.

Comedy Quaddafi

jamrage wrote: Interesting that the ref on the pitch didn't think it was a penalty.
No its not. Its still the right call. Why should that matter?
- MB

Req

Post by Req »

Arsenal

Everton
@Fulham
Man Utd
@QPR
Wigan
@Newcastle

Spurs

@Chelsea
Man City

@Wigan
Southampton
@Stoke
Sunderland

Chelsea

Spurs
@Fulham
@Liverpool
Swansea
@Man Utd
@Aston Villa
Everton
F.U. MOOLAH

Req

Post by Req »

Chelsea seem to actually have the toughest run in. Arsenal the easiest, especially since one of their matches against a United team that thinks it's June.
F.U. MOOLAH

Comedy Quaddafi

Chelsea have two EL games as well, possibly three. That speaks in favor of Spurs but much will be decided in the game they play against each other.

Reading and QPR are sure to go down more or less. Who should be the third team to get relegated? I hope it will be Stoke or Sunderland but I wouldn't mind seeing whiny Norwich get relegated either. Hope Villa stays up.
- MB

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:
jamrage wrote: Interesting that the ref on the pitch didn't think it was a penalty.
No its not. Its still the right call. Why should that matter?
Because he was much closer to the supposed infraction, and it was right in front of him? Grabbing and clawing happens all the time in the box, the Arsenal player just made a big deal about it and got the call from the linesman.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Chelsea have two EL games as well, possibly three. That speaks in favor of Spurs but much will be decided in the game they play against each other.

Reading and QPR are sure to go down more or less. Who should be the third team to get relegated? I hope it will be Stoke or Sunderland but I wouldn't mind seeing whiny Norwich get relegated either. Hope Villa stays up.
Yeah, I'm with you on Stoke or Sunderland, but I wouldn't mind seeing Villa go down either. Why do you like them?

:lol: at an Arsenal supporter calling Norwich "whiny" when your team is managed by the king of all whiners. Norwich are a gutty team that are fun to watch. I hope Wigan stay up too.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote: Third place :cheers:

:fail:

Comedy Quaddafi

jamrage wrote:
Yeah, I'm with you on Stoke or Sunderland, but I wouldn't mind seeing Villa go down either. Why do you like them?
No particular reason. I just don't dislike them in any way, and I think Birmingham should have a team in the league.

Danish CB Martin Laursen is a legend there too. That helps.
- MB

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

The more I look at it, the more it seems 4th is Arsenal's to lose. They have an easier road and are already up on points and goal diff. Having said that, I would not be surprised if they slip versus Fulham or QPR. This team is so inconsistent and doesn't seem to have the confidence to roll over these teams they should easily beat. I can't believe they could actually qualify for the CL given how terrible they've been this year. What are their signature results? 5-2 over Spurs or 1-1 vs. City? Isn't that kinda pathetic? Wow, they scored 9 goals against Reading, big fucking deal. They've also drawn with Villa, Stoke, lost to Norwich, and needed lots of late goals to scrape by against bottom table clubs. I know every club has its struggles and you can't be perfect all year especially with all the competitions but it's almost impressive they could still manage 3rd despite playing like and looking like shit the whole year.

Basically no team can slip up at this point and they all need to beat the clubs they're supposed to or they're in deep shit. Chelsea have the most difficult road, none of those remaining except Villa are real cream puffs and even they'll be in the thick of the relegation fight and won't lay down. I think their game in hand is a big benefit at this point but that is a really tough stretch compared to Arsenal and Spurs. They almost can't afford to lose. Should be very interesting.

On the other end, it's anyone's guess but I hope Wigan go down. I can't believe they've managed to stay up this many years playing their shitty brand of football and never attempting to make a quality signing despite all the money they make from being in the top flight. Fuck off already.