2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

peanut butter

Re: 2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by peanut butter »

I mean, my Gramma used to check books out the library to MJD back in the Town when he was a shorty so I mean we practically family. I just aint really know that he still had a squad. I'm glad he does tho

PEACE

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

I like the Vikings going back to a traditional look.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

The Chargers' Doctor Is A Drunk Quack. Why Haven't They Fired Him?
In recent weeks, we've learned some more supposedly irrelevant things about Chao, a Harvard- and Northwestern-trained orthopedic surgeon. Like a license hearing pursued by an aggressive California attorney general who wants to know why Chao was ordering vodka at a nightclub while one of his patients was losing a leg. Or a medical repair executive who tells us that Chao's MRI machines were outdated, inaccurate, and poorly maintained. Or a San Diego coroner's report that found a prescription sedative in the system of Junior Seau, for whom Chao acted as drinking buddy and personal physician.

NFLPA executive director DeMaurice Smith, in brief remarks before Chao had been exonerated by the panel, said, "It seems to me that the players of the National Football League deserve to have a doctor who's not been found liable of malpractice."

California also thinks its citizens deserve better than Chao. This past July, before the NFL's review, the state medical board filed a formal complaint against him. The board seeks to suspend or revoke his license, citing "repeated negligent acts."

That Chao remains the Chargers' doctor even now, amid a hail of accusations and universally terrible PR for both the team and league, owes less to his ability to treat his patients than to the unresolved conflict at the heart of the modern NFL: How can the league keep players safe and healthy without being legally responsible for the safety and health of the players?
http://deadspin.com/the-chargers-doctor ... -466685771

Long read, but really well reported. Dude seems to be a true scumbag.

PEACE

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Hey, by the way who's Curt?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

The greatest way to honor the legacy of Pat Summerall is to use his audio from Madden 97 for all games in which Barry Sanders is involved

PEACE

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

How 2013 NFL draft prospects were rated as recruits
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/-nfl-d ... &eref=sihp

Only one 5 star recruit in top 8 picks.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

this is a weird draft, so many unknowns and not many clear cut winners. I think it makes it more exciting. mos def pumped for tonight

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Just round one tonight, right?

PEACE

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

^^^ Yeah.

Should be a fuckload of trades given how weak the draft class is, and how all over the map each team's rankings might be.

It seems like nobody knows what anyone else is gonna do, which is pretty rare.

Lots of rumors of the 9ers trading up to the 12-15 range, but anyone trading up in this draft is a fucking sucker, IMO. Really hope they don't do that.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

The 2013 quarterback class has endured heavy criticism, and now it sound like some teams are trying avoid it altogether. The Boston Globe's Greg Bedard reported teams have called the New England Patriots with trade offers for Ryan Mallett.

The former Arkansas and Michigan quarterback was selected in the third round of the 2011 draft and is the primary backup to Tom Brady. The Patriots haven't indicated any interest, but Bedard reports they have been scouting quarterbacks in this year's draft.

The Patriots, reportedly, want more than a third-rounder after putting two years worth of work into Mallett. The Cleveland Browns could be one pursuant, according to Bedard. General manager Michael Lombardi spoke glowingly of Mallett on NFL Network, and his son, Mick, was an assistant on the Patriots staff the last two years.

Mallett only has thrown four NFL passes, but was once thought to be a first-round candidate before sliding to the third round. He also has the advantage of learning behind Tom Brady for two years.

DLG

Post by DLG »

vike's going big! you like that kel?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

DLG wrote:vike's going big! you like that kel?
last night was pretty epic, we are turning into a draft powerhouse. had a draft party and i woke up on the floor wearing my honey badger jawn

then we fired kahn and hired flip

lsometimes the gods smile upon you, bro

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Came in here just call kel a faggot, and I see that he has already mentioned my name :fail:
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

you're going by gayzoos then?

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

:fail:

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

i'll have gloss change your name, gay.

:cheers:

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Props to John Idzik. Killer draft so far.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

9ers Santa Clara joint is looking :ohsh:

:sad:

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Stoned Starks wrote:Props to John Idzik. Killer draft so far.
sarcasm?

we got sonned by the rams for tavon...though dee is a pretty good second option there to replace revis and to thrive in rex's system

we sonned ourselves by picking a guy who is literally slated to play either or both of coples and wilkerson's spots...who are the two youngest and most talented cornerstone players on defense...so why the fuck are you drafting a guy who will just take plays away from them...when YOUR OFFENSE FEATURED CHAZ FUCKING SCHILENS LAST YEAR YOU DUMB BUMLBEFUCK WE NEED OFFENSIVE PLAYERS YOU FUCKING RETARDS

we sonned ourselves by picking geno smith who is a fucking bust even for a 2nd rounder...WHEN WE NEEDED PLAYMAKERS YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKERS. WHO THE FUCK IS GENO SMITH GOING TO PASS TO? HOW FUCKING REATRDAAOLTHAPSGHASLGHAS;GLH ;;HL;SG....AND THEN

AND THEN

YOU FUCKING TRADE A 4TH ROUNDER FOR CHRIS IVORY?

CHRIS IVORY?

YOU'D RATHER HAVE CHRIS IVORY THAN EDDIE LACY? YOU'D RATHER HAVE CHRIS IVORY THAN LE'VEON BELL? CHRISTIN MICHAEL? MONTEE BALL? HOW FUCKING ASININE ARE YOU?

OK OK SO RUNING BACKS ARE A DIME A DOZEN THESE DAYS WITH THE 2 BACK SYSTEM AND ALL.

YOU PASSED UP ON ROBERT WOODS. KEENAN ALLEN. ESCOBAR. DOBSON. KELCE.

FUCK MAYN.

this is how fucked i am as a jets fan. i literally bleieve that woody johnson forced idzik to draft geno so he could have his qb controversy and make more negative ratings type publicity. jsut the most backwards dumb brett favre whore movemaker ever. i fucking hate the offense i'm going to have to root for next year. it was so bad this year. and it looks WORSE HOW CAN IT GET WORSE? the jets D will be fucking great though, revis-less or not.
Nets 2022

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Reason, I actually like what Idzik is doing. The Jets are obviously moving away from a 3-4 front. Richardson gives them even more versatility on the d-line since him, Wilkerson, and Coples can all play inside or outside which means they can mix things up a lot. I was a little confused by the Richardson pick at first but after watching some videos of him the guy is a monster and super fast for a d-lineman. We're gonna love this guy, guarantee it.

Milliner will obviously not be Revis. But nobody is really. He should probably start from day 1, especially when you consider Kyle Wilson is way better playing nickel back.

Geno Smith, I have my doubts. But the guy must have been projected as a top 10 pick at one point for a reason. I mean honestly, if he doesn't work out it's not like he's killing the franchise. He's a 2nd round pick, he's not gonna have a big contract. Cutting him would be the equivalent of cutting Kellen Clemens basically. If he sucks we move on, no problem. We won't have to waste 4 years on him like fucking Nacho. If he doesn't suck, well then we finally have a QB worth a damn and we got him in the 2nd round to boot.

Either way, he shouldn't start this season. Let him ride the bench for the year and learn from a veteran like Garrard. We have 11 draft picks next year I believe and a shit load of cap space. The free agent class for WR next year is pretty good too (Nicks, Maclin, James Jones, Boldin). Get him weapons next offseason and we'll be ready to go. I mean the cupboard isn't exactly bare this year either. Tight End is currently a black hole of suck but Holmes/Kerley/Hill could be pretty decent. Maybe bring back Braylon as well.

Ivory strikes me as a guy that would be a pretty good player if he could just stay on the field. I think him and Goodson could be a good backfield combo.

I hope this Winters guy pans out at guard. Don't know shit about him but if he's pretty good we should be set at o-line with the exception of right tackle.

We aren't competing in 2013 no matter what. But I feel like Idzik has done a pretty solid job so far. I'm willing to be patient and rebuild the right way by actually developing a young QB instead of throwing him to the wolves like we did with Sanchez.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Also I don't think there will be a QB controversy because it sounds like they plan on cutting Sanchez after June 1 anyway. They'll probably get around to cutting Tebow one of these days lol.

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

hey reason, what the fuck? you think your team is going to compete next year? fuck that. build up the d. draft a QB to sit behind Sanchez while he blows, and draft offense when there are actually good players to draft on that side of the ball. Seriously, you drafted two of the best 5 players on D in the whole draft and you're complaining. And the top QB. This was a terrible year for offense. So much so that Tavon Austin, who normally would go late 1st, early 2nd, was drafted with the number 8 pick. Consider yourself lucky. You got a great replacement for Revis and a fantastic 3-tech, who, if the Jets are crafty, will only help those other two tackles you have. Your offense sucks, yes. But this wasn't the draft to really upgrade that without overpaying, imo.

All that said, Christine Michaels to the Seahawks :gyeah:

Stoned Starks

Post by Stoned Starks »

Oh shit, just read Joe Pesci's comments and he's spot on. Sometimes you gotta bottom out to build it up. Love the Jets draft so far.

Also, I really think you all are underrating both Milliner and Richardson. Would have fucking loved if either was a Seahawk right now. (Again) Top 5 players on D in the draft, and maybe top 3.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Bears new linebacker :gyeah:

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

gay, learn how to master 'image resize' ^^

it seems Idzik is mildly retarded

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

alpha wrote::rofl:

And I wouldn't dismiss Geno. Not sure why Rzn is so convinced

1. he has small hands
2. a large percentage of high yardage plays were YAC (no ric) plays where he literally threw the ball ten yards and watched his teammates run for twenty more, thirty more, etc.
3. he has poor mechanics on 5 and 7 step dropbacks
4. he forced lots of throws into tight coverage which in the nfl would become interceptions and tips
5. he forces throws to receives when they are double-teamed instead of taking sacks or throwing it out of bounds
6. he sulks after bad plays and lets them linger
7. in the spread offense at wvu he was able to just bounce around int he pocket and then plant his feet deliberately and then throw. in the nfl you have to be supremely efficient with footwork and release. he was often lackadaisical and if he tries to work a snap in the nfl like he did in college he will get sacked or throw intos
Joe Pesci wrote:Reason, I actually like what Idzik is doing. The Jets are obviously moving away from a 3-4 front. Richardson gives them even more versatility on the d-line since him, Wilkerson, and Coples can all play inside or outside which means they can mix things up a lot. I was a little confused by the Richardson pick at first but after watching some videos of him the guy is a monster and super fast for a d-lineman. We're gonna love this guy, guarantee it.

Milliner will obviously not be Revis. But nobody is really. He should probably start from day 1, especially when you consider Kyle Wilson is way better playing nickel back.

Geno Smith, I have my doubts. But the guy must have been projected as a top 10 pick at one point for a reason. I mean honestly, if he doesn't work out it's not like he's killing the franchise. He's a 2nd round pick, he's not gonna have a big contract. Cutting him would be the equivalent of cutting Kellen Clemens basically. If he sucks we move on, no problem. We won't have to waste 4 years on him like fucking Nacho. If he doesn't suck, well then we finally have a QB worth a damn and we got him in the 2nd round to boot.

Either way, he shouldn't start this season. Let him ride the bench for the year and learn from a veteran like Garrard. We have 11 draft picks next year I believe and a shit load of cap space. The free agent class for WR next year is pretty good too (Nicks, Maclin, James Jones, Boldin). Get him weapons next offseason and we'll be ready to go. I mean the cupboard isn't exactly bare this year either. Tight End is currently a black hole of suck but Holmes/Kerley/Hill could be pretty decent. Maybe bring back Braylon as well.

Ivory strikes me as a guy that would be a pretty good player if he could just stay on the field. I think him and Goodson could be a good backfield combo.

I hope this Winters guy pans out at guard. Don't know shit about him but if he's pretty good we should be set at o-line with the exception of right tackle.

We aren't competing in 2013 no matter what. But I feel like Idzik has done a pretty solid job so far. I'm willing to be patient and rebuild the right way by actually developing a young QB instead of throwing him to the wolves like we did with Sanchez.
as my original post said, i think dee is a great second option to tavon austin who got wrestled away from us. got no problem with dee. even if he is a cb picked 9th overall, which is relatively high historically for cb's.

i'm not well-versed on richardson and am not out to criticize him and i hope you're righta bout how they'll utilize him with coples/wilk but my anger at this pick is that the biggest need on defense is SAFETY and the even bigger need is an offense playmaker. how do you take a cb, a dlineman, a qb, and a olineman with your first 4 picks when your team featured joe mcknight, chaz schilens, and jeff cumberland? i hope richardson's "takes plays off" criticism goes away and i hope your'e right.

i've already explained my hatred for the geno pick. but to address what you said, if the philosophy is now so pathetic that it is "oh it's just a 2nd round pick we can survive if he busts" that's all i have to say. btw, try googling "value of 2nd round picks" a recent metrics-article came out and 2nd round picks are way more valuable than 1st rounders overall (with consideration for contract sizes)

i'm not replying to that chris ivory shit. he will be a inconsequential player who isn't on the jets in a year or two

you trade a 4th rounder for an nfl veteran backup running back when you could have picked an offensive playmaker, even if he would be a project. you guys are talking about "we're not gonna compete for years anyway" so why the fuck would you switch taht philosophy on this pick?
Stoned Starks wrote:hey reason, what the fuck? you think your team is going to compete next year? fuck that. build up the d. draft a QB to sit behind Sanchez while he blows, and draft offense when there are actually good players to draft on that side of the ball. Seriously, you drafted two of the best 5 players on D in the whole draft and you're complaining. And the top QB. This was a terrible year for offense. So much so that Tavon Austin, who normally would go late 1st, early 2nd, was drafted with the number 8 pick. Consider yourself lucky. You got a great replacement for Revis and a fantastic 3-tech, who, if the Jets are crafty, will only help those other two tackles you have. Your offense sucks, yes. But this wasn't the draft to really upgrade that without overpaying, imo.

All that said, Christine Michaels to the Seahawks :gyeah:
you're a hawks fan. you fuckers make stars out of defensive players both known and unknown like it's a daily routine. no i don't think the team will compete next year, but i also don't think the moves they made in the draft assured that they will be better in two years than they were last year or next year. and when you say "terrible year for offense" all i see is value. all i see is the best offensive players in the country going in the 2nd, 3rd, 4th round = that's value. you use the stigma that the offensive class sucks to your advantage. we could have improved without overpaying - in fact,. the opposite. i'd rather the jets took this approach:

trade the 9 down for a 2nd and a 4th rounder or some equivalent. take best offensive playmakers available at 2nd and 4th round. at 13 take millner or richardson, whoever is still there. another problem with taking dee that high is you're basically saying you wasted a high draft pick on kyle wilson at this point.

or

trade the 13 and a 2nd rounder up to the 8th pick. take austin and dee. omg that would have been so sexy.

i understand i'm mkaing hypotheticals without other teams' needs/thoughts in mind but you get my drift.
Nets 2022

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Geno Smith has bad feet which kills his accuracy. He owes a ton of money to Austin and Bailey who often turned routine plays into big plays. His completion % is inflated due to quick passes under 5yds that were used essentially as running plays in his offense. He also struggles if you take away his first read which is why you saw so many forced balls from him. His bad mechanics led to him having trouble throwing into small windows. The jets already have multiple QBs with mechanical issues that lead to inaccuracy and just added another one to the fold.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Prophecy wrote:Geno Smith has bad feet which kills his accuracy. He owes a ton of money to Austin and Bailey who often turned routine plays into big plays. His completion % is inflated due to quick passes under 5yds that were used essentially as running plays in his offense. He also struggles if you take away his first read which is why you saw so many forced balls from him. His bad mechanics led to him having trouble throwing into small windows. The jets already have multiple QBs with mechanical issues that lead to inaccuracy and just added another one to the fold.

exactly my homey
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

this is the only positive take i've read so far that kind of has me hedging my annoyance with the geno pick

New York Jets coach Rex Ryan – Yes, Ryan was among the winners from Thursday night when the Jets took cornerback Dee Milliner and defensive tackle Sheldon Brown, but things only got better. Drafting Geno Smith is a boon to Ryan regardless of whether Smith can play. Assuming the Jets do the smart thing and dump Mark Sanchez, Smith automatically becomes the starter and Ryan gets a chance to make this a full-fledged turn toward the future rather than some weird balancing act with Ryan perched on Sanchez's shoulders (or tattooed on Ryan's shoulder, as it truly is). If Ryan can rebuild the defense quickly and get the offense to stay error-free, an 8-8 season might make it hard for the Jets to fire him. Yeah, Ryan still looks like a dead man walking, but there's a hint of a lifeline.
Nets 2022