Is Dwyane Wade better than?

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Best SG of all time not including Jordan, Kobe or West

Ray Allen
4%
Clyde Drexler
30%
Joe Dumars
No votes
Manu Ginobilli
4%
Allen Iverson
13%
Reggie Miller
4%
Dwyane Wade
43%

Total votes: 23

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Is Dwyane Wade better than?

Post by Philaflava »

All-Time. Was he better than these guys? I have been thinking about it after what JVG said. Obviously, he isn't touching Jordan, Bryant and West but I never realized how you could make a legit argument for him being in the top 5 until now.

Clyde Drexler
Allen Iverson
Pete Maravich
George Gervin
Reggie Miller
Ray Allen

naturalborn103

Re: Is Dwyane Wade better than?

Post by naturalborn103 »

I ddn't see Drexler enough and I highly doubt anyone here saw Maravich or Gervin play enough, if at all, to rate them. Wade is EASILY better then Allen and Miller. I also have him a very good amount over Iverson as well.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Its funny that Hayes and Petit were exempt from the power forward discussion, but now Maravich and Gervin are being considered.

Anyway, I never saw Iceman or Pistol Pete, so I have no point of reference. But Wade is better than everyone else by a considerable margin, except Drexler. And I'll take Wade before Drexler too, but its a little closer

PEACE

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Clyde was a more prolific college player so that has a lot to do with his allure. He missed the first ship when Houston beat Chicago, but still got his. Clyde had a better career in terms of numbers early on, especially his Portland days. Clyde has has a longer career and aged better than Wade. Take Clyde in '94 he was 32 years old and was pretty amazing. Wade hasn't been amazing much this year and is only 31 and his career isn't getting better.

Not that winning another chip won't elevate him but I think him and Clyde are closer than you think.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

I honestly wasn't old enough to really watch Drexler, but Wade's numbers early on, and pretty much throughout, look better to me then Drexlers. Wade has obviously been horrible most of these playoffs, but he was great this year during regular season.

Who was the better defender?

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

He was horrible all season and wasn't that great last year either. I think Clyde was a much better passer and slightly better rebounder, but Wade is solid too in rebounding. Defense is what seperates them, where as Wade is much better.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Obviously, Wade had Shaq early on, and that helped him make an impact on the league. The numbers he put up over his first five or so years need to be viewed in the context of playing alongside one of the better big men in the league. Drexler put up similarly impressive numbers for his entire career and never played with anyone as good as Shaq, until his career turned the corner and he joined up with Hakeem. Ultimately, I think I'd take Wade, because his peak is higher than anything Clyde achieved. And obviously we're talking about two rings (and counting) to one. But Clyde was the shit.

PEACE

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Philaflava wrote:He was horrible all season and wasn't that great last year either. I think Clyde was a much better passer and slightly better rebounder, but Wade is solid too in rebounding. Defense is what seperates them, where as Wade is much better.
ummm...What are you talking about? Wade was the first or second best SG this year.

This year he avg 21/5/5. Shot .521 (better then Drexler ever has), his PER was 24 (Drexlers best ever was 24.1). His fg% was little down last year (still would of been Drexler 3rd best ever), but had even better stats last year.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

naturalborn103 wrote:ummm...What are you talking about?
This has to be the worst way to try to get a point across, right?
naturalborn103 wrote:Wade was the first or second best SG this year.
He also had room to maneuver alongside one of the best ever to do it.

PEACE

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

peanut butter wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:ummm...What are you talking about?
This has to be the worst way to try to get a point across, right?
might be.
peanut butter wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:Wade was the first or second best SG this year.
He also had room to maneuver alongside one of the best ever to do it.
He did, but he also played great himself whether on the court with Lebron or by himself.. And its not like he was pulling a Bosh and standing at the elbow hitting open jumpers or getting easy put backs after his man went to double someone driving. Wade got his. What other SG played better then him this year? Could be arguments for Harden or Kobe, but both of there D was so horrible (not that Wades this year was good) that I have to give Wade the node.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

No doubt. I appreciate what Wade did this year. But the point still needs to be made.

PEACE

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Who turned this into a poll and didn't add West? WTF.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

I did.

Because none of us have seen Jerry west play. And most of us never seen Gervin or Maravich in their primes. If you want to count espn classic, then I guess we have but not too much.

Shade Tree

Post by Shade Tree »

Meh, I'd take Wade over Kobe.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Philaflava wrote:He was horrible all season and wasn't that great last year either.
He was so horrible this year that he made 3rd-Team All-NBA.

:bunk:

Gregg Popabitch

Big Breeze wrote:
Philaflava wrote:He was horrible all season and wasn't that great last year either.
He was so horrible this year that he made 3rd-Team All-NBA.

:bunk:
I feel like that says more about the state of affairs at the SG position this year.

You could argue that Stephen Curry probably deserved that spot.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

^ bingo

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Yea, SG sucked this year, but doesn't take away from the fact Wade was great this year compared against other SG or any other position in NBA. No matter by eye test or stats there is nothing that said otherwise about Wade.

Also, All-NBA is all gaurds, they don't have pg and sg slots.

hustler

Post by hustler »

Shade Tree wrote:Meh, I'd take Wade over Kobe.
:cheers:
thekeentwo wrote:hustler we can totally have sex

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

I hate Wade, but he is the answer here

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Clyde has always been a terrific role player. A "Pippen". Wade has been the goto guy for his team for years. Plus his defense is significantly better than Clyde's.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

I'm hoping Tweak can give us his expert opinion on Gervin, West and Maravich's games. I'll vote after he gives his analysis.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

r
Peak easy, career no, kobe has way more longevity and it's very unlikely wade will match

Gregg Popabitch

eternalreflection wrote:
r
Peak easy, career no, kobe has way more longevity and it's very unlikely wade will match
I think Shade has already spoke about this saying he's more of a peak than longevity guy.

Shade Tree

Post by Shade Tree »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
eternalreflection wrote:
r
I think Shade has already spoke about this saying he's more of a peak than longevity guy.
I mean, I respect those who can grind it out long term, and that obviously has value. But valuing longevity over peak leads to fucked up shit like the belief, and I've actually heard (non-ethnic generically white) people make this argument, that Stockton was better than Magic because he played 250 more seasons or some shit. I mean, if LeBron James doesn't play another game, he's still better than any SF not named Bird, and personally I'd take him over Bird.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

Shade Tree wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:
eternalreflection wrote:
r
I mean, I respect those who can grind it out long term, and that obviously has value. But valuing longevity over peak leads to fucked up shit like the belief, and I've actually heard (non-ethnic generically white) people make this argument, that Stockton was better than Magic because he played 250 more seasons or some shit. I mean, if LeBron James doesn't play another game, he's still better than any SF not named Bird, and personally I'd take him over Bird.
it's a balancing act, Wade has a better peak than Kobe but it isn't massively better and longevity does matter when it's close

Bird isn't even close to Lebron, the modern era players that belong in the same sentence as him, MJ, Kareem, Shaq, maybe Duncan. Bird is in that Kobe/KG range well below those 5 guys

Smithee
ladies luv kool smithee

Post by Smithee »

Iverson, nope. I don't think Reggie Miller or Clyde is a fair comparison. The rest in their prime? If I'm a GM I'll sign Dwayne Wade, off tops. Joe Dumars didn't have the same star power. Ray Allen was in a Spike Lee movie and he doesn't either.
Moolah wrote:
Smithee wrote:I'd like to personally thank Andrew Bogut.
:cheers:

Gregg Popabitch

eternalreflection wrote:
Shade Tree wrote:
Gregg Popabitch wrote:
eternalreflection wrote:
r
it's a balancing act, Wade has a better peak than Kobe but it isn't massively better and longevity does matter when it's close

Bird isn't even close to Lebron, the modern era players that belong in the same sentence as him, MJ, Kareem, Shaq, maybe Duncan. Bird is in that Kobe/KG range well below those 5 guys
Hakeem was better than some of these guys.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

eternalreflection wrote: Bird isn't even close to Lebron, the modern era players that belong in the same sentence as him, MJ, Kareem, Shaq, maybe Duncan. Bird is in that Kobe/KG range well below those 5 guys
Just wondering, did you watch Bird play? Or you just going off #s?