World Cup '14 - Official Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

stupidregister

Re: World Cup '14 - Official Thread

Post by stupidregister »

Dude, fuck everything about Uruguay.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

His name is HA-MES, not James. If you didn't know before, you'd damn well better now.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Holy shit.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Bruh

PEACE

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

HA-MES

Comedy Quaddafi

Post by Comedy Quaddafi »

Really love Colombia and their fans. I desperately want them to win and get past Brazil who are starting to annoy me more and more.

JR is the player of the tournament so far. Amazing little guy.

Great team effort every time I've seen them too. Has any team been more convincing so far? France perhaps, but they've had it much easier.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Never heard of Ha-Mes before this tournament, very impressed.

Imagine if Columbia had Falcao! They'd probably be favorites.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Brazil is so horrific. Colombia all day in the quarters.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Cuardado was super impressive in that game as well. Skinning fuckers down the wing all day.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

stupidregister wrote:
jamrage wrote:The fact that he was charged with taking them shows how good he was.
You must not watch soccer regularly because this is asinine.
Right, teams have their worst players take PKs. :roll:

It's generally a guy who's a very good player that isn't a head case and doesn't get dwarfed by the moment.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Jayou Ayen wrote:
jamrage wrote: We'll just disagree I guess. They beat Ghana, should have beaten Portugal, and lost to a solid German team 1-0 in a group of death. Portugal is a better team than Ghana with one of the best players in the world on it, not exactly lucky imo. Again, if they'd beaten Ghana on the last game of the group nobody would be saying this.

The US has played well, but you're tripping if you think that 1-0 game is a true barometer of the US & Germany.
Did it look like the Germans were even going all out to you?

I think the U.S. is playing really well right now, and Germany isn't firing on all cylinders. But yeah, of course Germany is miles ahead in terms of talent and clearly a better team.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

binary wrote:
jamrage wrote:
Req wrote:
jamrage wrote: Fuck outta here.

Dempsey has played well in the Premiership, but anyone who's watched the U.S. in the last few World Cups know that Donovan has been the U.S.'s best player by a large margin. Dempsey is better than Donovan now, but all time....it's not close.
Landon Donovan played the bulk of his career in a competition that is barely comparable to League One in England.
Clint Dempsey was busy at the time scoring goals past Man Utd, Liverpool, Juventus and ending up on the FWA Footballer of the Year list beside RVP, Rooney and Scholes.

But y'know, Donovan did score that awesome rebound from 6 yards out into an empty net against Algeria that one time, so it doesn't really compare, i guess...
They've both played about the same amount of time on foreign soil, but Dempsey had a lot more success during his time overseas. Donovan has scored almost 20 more international goals than Dempsey and they're only one year apart in terms of age. I really like Dempsey, but right now very few would say he's the best non-keeper the U.S. has ever had. Donovan has been the catalyst and leader of the United States team for years and years, not Clint Dempsey. That's obviously changed now with Donovan being off the team, but Dempsey has a lot of catching up to do.

How much United States international play have you watched over the years? Judging by your comments I'd say not much, but if you want to make a decision based solely on looking at five years of league play overseas I suppose you can do that.
Donovan never played at the level of Dempsey. Dempsey is just a better player in just about every aspect, end of story.
This is incorrect, but I've already made my case. I feel like people are focusing on how good Dempsey is now (who's back in the MLS btw) and looking at how Donovan has fallen off lately, but Donovan has the history in international play and the numbers don't lie. If Dempsey can keep playing like he is now he could be the best ever, but he's not there yet. Again, this is from a guy that loves Dempsey.

Req

Post by Req »

jamrage wrote:How much United States international play have you watched over the years? Judging by your comments I'd say not much, but if you want to make a decision based solely on looking at five years of league play overseas I suppose you can do that.
yeah, sorry dude. I just put a lot more stock into playing well in the EPL over scoring hat tricks past Belize and Trinidad.
jamrage wrote:but Donovan has the history in international play and the numbers don't lie.
this isn't baseball

Country / Top Scorer
Argentina - Gabriel Batistuta
France - Thierry Henry
Germany - Miroslav Klose
Italy - Luigi Riva
Netherlands - Robin van Persie
Spain - David Villa

Just a sampling of major nations whose top scorer is not considered their GOAT. With the exception of Henry it's not even close either...
F.U. MOOLAH

T Rav

Post by T Rav »

Robben's flopping is killing me!
Buy my mixtape.

alpha

Post by alpha »

ok fellas, this mex/ned game tho.!

alpha

Post by alpha »

ok fellas, this mex/ned game tho.!

Comedy Quaddafi

NEVER stick your foot out when Robben is in the box. Just let him run past you if you can't get close to him. FFS.
Whether to Jason of Philaflava or John Podesta, I will speak my fucking perspective openly
- MB

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Arjen Robben flop at the end? Totally didn't see that coming.

Comedy Quaddafi

Looked like there was contact, in which case its a penno. Marquez should know better.
- MB

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Comedy Quaddafi wrote:Marquez should know better.
This is what matters. For a veteran defender like him, he should know Robben gonna Robben.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

There was contact, but he sold it well. Marquez is a dumbass.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

I don't understand this logic. Robben is a notorious diver so we reward his actions by making him untouchable? So everyone should be aware of the guy's reputation and somehow work around it? Does everyone understand how absurd that is? I have to see the video again but it looked like he just flopped right over his foot. Which is interesting because a few minutes before that, a similar thing happened and he just jumped over and took a shot.

Comedy Quaddafi

No. You don't tackle Robben like that in the box because hes too quick so if you mistime by a fraction of a second hes going down.
- MB

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

There was no reason for Marquez to make that challenge given the angle Robben was at, the distance between the players, and the fact that there were other defenders close by. It was risky, and he was punished for his poor judgement.

T Rav

Post by T Rav »

But if there's no sell on the play, there's no way Robben goes down. Instead he's rewarded for going down.
Buy my mixtape.

Comedy Quaddafi

I thought you guys were supposed to hate the mexicans anyway. Or does the CONCACAF stick together?

Find myself rooting against every European team. Possibly because it seems to matter more to fans and players from - esp - South American and CONCACAF teams. Or even a team like Algeria. There was a riot - literally - in Marseille the other day. LOL.
- MB

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

That was horrible. How can you make that call? It is quite pathetic actually that a game could be decided on something like that.

Spartan

Post by Spartan »

It's gonna be another stressful one tonight.

Comedy Quaddafi

- MB

Req

Post by Req »

It sux that the game had to be decided by that, but it was a penalty.

F.U. MOOLAH