MLB Off-Season Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Sign Lee, then trade Hamels and prospects to Arizona for Upton and maybe get them to take on Ibanez contract as well?

:lol:

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Bob Klapisch of the Record says the Yankees are "worried" about the Phils involvement on Lee, which I guess lends creedence to Lee maybe not taking the fattest contract available.

This is getting crazy. My overall feeling is he ultimately signs with the Yankees still, but it sounds like there are other factors at play here. Either way, news is coming out in quick bursts, so something could be on the verge of happening.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Not too happy about the Phillies jumping into the mix but if he is really going to just follow the money there's no doubt he's coming to New York. Hopefully he's a greedy son of a bitch. If he does go to Philly then Mets fans have even less to live for though lol.

I'll get off the topic of Crawford because I'm fighting a losing battle with that one, but I 100% agree with poppabich that the Werth contract is inexcusably bad for a team operating on a budget like the Nationals.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Jack Curry of the Yes network just tweeted that some Yankee execs believe that Cliff Lee is going to sign with the Phillies.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Joe Pesci wrote:Not too happy about the Phillies jumping into the mix but if he is really going to just follow the money there's no doubt he's coming to New York. Hopefully he's a greedy son of a bitch. If he does go to Philly then Mets fans have even less to live for though lol.
Jack Curry twitter wrote:Wonder what has taken Cliff Lee so long? There is a belief he is heading to the Phillies
15 minutes ago.

Dunno how reputable Jack is, but considering he works for YES, there might be something to it.

Update: Heyman agrees, Lee likely to go to Phillies.
Last edited by Sylissez on Mon Dec 13, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Time for Cashman to trade Montero and a bunch of prospects for Grienke and watch the implosion begin :owens: :lol:

I won't believe anything until it's officially announced though. There's been so many damn reports about this guy lately I don't know who to believe whether its the income tax, or his dumbass wife, or him wanting to live closer to Arkansas, or wanting to be with his friend CC in New York, etc.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Yeah, there's no way to sort all this out, with all the different angles. But all this info rushing out now seems to indicate a decision is imminent, if not already made.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

So now Heyman, Salisbury, Curry and Sherman are saying Phils will likely land Lee.

FUCKING WOW if it happens.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Yeah I'm on pins and needles right now trying not to get excited.

Gregg Popabitch

i think sylesisalkjfsakldfj is ignoring me. which is impossible. fuck you man

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

lol Greg I'm not ignoring ya, why do ya say that?

And Bunz...this is looking good.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

If Amaro somehow pulls this off in a reasonable manner I will never say anything bad about him again.
He's made some moves but he runs the Phillies like a goddamn fantasy team/video game.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

Greg, just saw where I reposted what you wrote. My bad.

Bunz, someone on MLBTR (a commenter) just said Philly radio (presumably 610) announced a deal was imminent. No confirmation, so likely BS....but this thing seems to be moving along.

Gregg Popabitch

Sylissez wrote:Greg, just saw where I reposted what you wrote. My bad.
it's cool, i'm fucking around. plus we posted within 5 minutes of each other.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

literally just made a twitter account just to follow this :lol:

Gregg Popabitch

Joel Sherman of the New York Post wrote:At thsi moment, #Yankees have become extremely negative about landing Lee and believing that he is edging toward #Phillies
Jon Heyman thinks a decision will come tomorrow.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

If he signs with the Phillies and leaves millions on the table so be it, I just want this shit to be over with so Cashman can get his head out of his ass and realize there's work that needs to be done on this team.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Still there's no way he leaves $60-80 mil on the table right? I can't wrap my head around it. You know the Phillies aren't giving him more than Halladay money, their offer is probably 4 years $80 mill.

Gregg Popabitch

Joe Pesci wrote:If he signs with the Phillies and leaves millions on the table so be it, I just want this shit to be over with so Cashman can get his head out of his ass and realize there's work that needs to be done on this team.
Right now we're trying to woo Russell Martin and Jerry Hairston, Jr.

We need a good utility man/pinch runner so I'll take it. I also like the russell Martin signing because it makes one of our dope catching prospects (Romine, Montero, Sanchez) expendable for a trade for Greinke. You don't have to yell to me about Greinke because you've already made your thoughts known about how you think Greinke is going to be a crying mess if he gets traded here.

Sylissez

Post by Sylissez »

So if this happens, how the fuck did the Phillies come out of nowhere for this? It can't all be based on how much he liked it here, can it? Conversely, I don't buy him not wanting to go to the Yanks for what a couple douches did to his wife.

Most obvious factor would seem to be the stacked rotation he'd be a part of. If this happens (cause, remember, the Yanks were "locks" to trade for him this summer, so shit changes quickly) the best part will be RAJ admitting he was wrong for trading Lee away in the first place. Of course, he won't admit it, but we'll know.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
Joe Pesci wrote:If he signs with the Phillies and leaves millions on the table so be it, I just want this shit to be over with so Cashman can get his head out of his ass and realize there's work that needs to be done on this team.
Right now we're trying to woo Russell Martin and Jerry Hairston, Jr.

We need a good utility man/pinch runner so I'll take it. I also like the russell Martin signing because it makes one of our dope catching prospects (Romine, Montero, Sanchez) expendable for a trade for Greinke. You don't have to yell to me about Greinke because you've already made your thoughts known about how you think Greinke is going to be a crying mess if he gets traded here.
Don't worry I won't haha.

I like the Martin signing if it comes to fruition. A lot better defensively than Posada or Cervelli (not saying much of course) and allows the Yankees to ease in Montero rather than throw him into the fire on opening day.

Obvious dream scenario is Felix Hernandez or Josh Johnson but the Yankees would have to gut the farm, Montero included, to make any kind of run at either.

:icedit: need another lefty in the pen too, I want them to sign Fuentes badly

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

@SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
evereyone who said cliff lee wont leave a dime on table looks like they'll be off by a few dimes: about 5-7 billion of them.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

None of this make sense. In fact, the only thing I can make out of this is that the media has been extremely bored waiting on Lee so they created this monster and gave it life tonight. Do I think the Phillies want Lee? Yes.

Do I think RAJ is a true gangsta? Yes. Did he call on Lee multiple times this Winter Meeting? Yes.

But the deal doesn't make any bit of sense. Why? We still have so many question marks and NONE of them have to do with our SP. We give Lee a 6-7 year deal? We give him 20m a year?

Maybe it's true, Lee & family would prefer to stay the fuck out of NY. I can't see how Philly gets this done and like the CC deal, I think he ends up going to NY for the $.

But I would not be surprised if he stayed put in Texas since they can offer similar figures without the tax issue.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

It's fun to drink the kool-aid.
Todd Zolecki of MLB.com confirms that the Phillies are a legitimate suitor for Cliff Lee and was told by a source that the club is shopping Joe Blanton, Raul Ibanez and Kyle Kendrick in order to clear salary.
Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com hears that Cliff Lee "really loved" Philadelphia and is interested in returning to the Phillies.
According to Jack Curry of YES Network, "there is a belief" that Cliff Lee is going to the Phillies.

Now wouldn't that be something? Of course, Curry also mentions that if Lee picks the Phillies, it will be for "a lot" less money than the Yankees offered. The Yankees usually get their man, but remember that Greg Maddux turned them down for less money in the past. For what it's worth, Lee was vocal about the fact that enjoyed the time he spent in Philadelphia. Maybe it's not so far-fetched. Stay tuned.

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

Tommy Bunz wrote:@SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
evereyone who said cliff lee wont leave a dime on table looks like they'll be off by a few dimes: about 5-7 billion of them.
someone isn't very good at math

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

It doesn't make sense really unless Amaro is planning on moving another starter for a bat. I really can't see them going much farther than halladays deal, which was 3 years $60 mil with a 4th $20 mil option year. Maybe they extend that by a year but thats still waaay too much money for anyone to turn down.

Lee's agent has been playing this whole thing masterfully, maybe this is a final ploy to get NY or Texas to splurge on an 8th year. But normally the reporters can sniff that shit out so there is definitely a legitimacy to the rumors.

Saw a funny post on twitter about a new nickname for our possible new rotation: HOH-Lee Shit. Kendrick being the shit part.

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Starting to look like its becoming official. Holy shit.

Sullivan_Ranger TR Sullivan
http://bit.ly/icExAK Lee going to the Phillies. Rangers have been told

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman
yankees have been told they're out of cliff lee sweepstakes

JackCurryYES Jack Curry
Cliff Lee's people have told the Yankees they are going elsewhere (to the Phillies). Source said Yankees offered 7 yrs, $150 million.

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

Jesus. That is a 90's Braves rotation now

Halladay = Maddux
Lee = Glavine
Oswalt = Smoltz
Hammels = Avery

At least the Mets picked a great time to suck!

Tommy Bunz

Post by Tommy Bunz »

Soooooo fucking sick, i'm not going to sleep a lick tonight.
Greatest rotation ever assembled?
5 years $100 million. Left $50 mil on the table to come back to Philly. Second ace in two years to do that to come here. I must be dreaming.
Fucking love that man and Ruben Amaro is a goddamn ninja.