Official NBA offseason thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

3 horse race for the ROY:

1. John Wall

2. Blake Griffin

3. DeMarcus Cousins

Griffin and Cousins will get plenty of double-doubles to pad their stats. Cousins is in a good position because Samuel Dalembert is out with an injury and will probably go to the bench when he comes back anyway. As mentioned in previous posts, Griffin is sick and is a tenacious rebounder. He has had plenty of time to get acclimated to the NBA game because he was hurt last year. He probably would have challenged Evans, Curry, and Jennings for the ROY last year if it wasn't for the dislocated knee cap.

I think Wall will win the ROY this year because he will have the ball in his hands a lot. It helps that he knows what to do with it as well.

I too have said that Wall is a better than Rose was at this stage of their careers. I'm waiting to get my dick sucked by vermillion too, like he did poppa and Reason with his slobbering succotash of praise.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

wall/griffin/cousins

will be closest race since odom/francis/brand
Nets 2022

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Wall will win because of the WOW factor, having more highlight reels plays than the other two, and because people will completely disregard his high turnover rate.

Cousins is gonna be a monster tho...

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

arenas fined for faking an injury. he's always been a little crazy, but dood is kinda self-destructing.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Someone (Reason or poppabitch) make a predictions thread for the upcoming season please. Preferably filled with lots of polls.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

one of us will. there always are.

i'm just in awe of how jealous big breeze got right now. it was cute.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

The Raptors are hilariously bad. Marcus Banks was the best guy on the floor last night. Bench Calderon and have that dude as the back up. His D is great.

Go Leafs.

Gregg Popabitch

Quotashun wrote:Bench Calderon
:jaz:

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Gilbert Subpoenas wrote:
Quotashun wrote:Bench Calderon
:jaz:
Dude, even his offense isn't there so far this preseason. It's depressing to watch him and Bargnani. :owens:

Gregg Popabitch

Barg's problem is that he has had to guard Centers. Wouldn't that problem be somewhat rectified if they just moved him to his natural position of PF and have him guard them instead?

Gregg Popabitch

also the calderon thing is me just playing up the running joke in sports bar that I love spaniards.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Bargs is shooting 25% from the field.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

Gilbert Subpoenas wrote:also the calderon thing is me just playing up the running joke in sports bar that I love spaniards.
:lol: Yeah, I'm aware of your Calderon man-crush from years ago when he was actually decent.

As for Bargs, yeah, he clearly needs to be a PF. The Chandler/Diaw for Calderon/Evans deal that fell apart would have made that a reality. Just hoping that at least his shot comes around by the time the season starts. The lack of Bosh to find him open shots ain't helping shit either.

Req

Post by Req »

jredd109 wrote:arenas fined for faking an injury. he's always been a little crazy, but dood is kinda self-destructing.
Despite what we originally thought, the dude just doesnt seem very bright. From catching a very serious gun charge and mocking it in a pre-game warm up to faking an injury and then actually telling the press about it afterwards. You can't have sympathy for that sort of stupidity. It's a shame the Wizards fans are gonna be the ones paying for it.
F.U. MOOLAH

Gregg Popabitch

Wait, we thought Gilbert was smart?!?!?!

Req

Post by Req »

Gilbert Subpoenas wrote:Wait, we thought Gilbert was smart?!?!?!
For a jock? Fuck yeah. In all of his interviews he came across as well-spoken and educated (:omgracist:), especially with satire, self-awareness and gamesmanship.

You know, I don't think he's been the same since those playoffs against the Cavs when Lebron got inside his head.
F.U. MOOLAH

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Kings won't win shit but they're a pretty cool young squad. Cousins can replace Sammy D if he matures this year. I think Donte Greene is about to show what he can do too.

Gregg Popabitch

Req wrote:
Gilbert Subpoenas wrote:Wait, we thought Gilbert was smart?!?!?!
For a jock? Fuck yeah. In all of his interviews he came across as well-spoken and educated (:omgracist:), especially with satire, self-awareness and gamesmanship.
He got a quality Arizona education. Other than Jordan Hill, most Zona players that i've met or saw or heard in an interview sounds like he's well spoken and educated. Jordan Hill just sounds like a bumbling nincompoop but he can ball.

but Gilbert, i never got the feeling that he was smart. Thought he was a normal dude.....just lacked a little common sense.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

He is not smart of the Iguodala caliber.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Kinda off topic, but I feel bad for Iguodala, he got a bad rep cause Philly payed him like a #1 on a team and people expect that out of him.. He plays great but he is just not suited to be a first option and can't fill role people expect, in turn people think he is not good. I think if he would be a real good #2 or even a great #3, he just playing the wrong role right now. He got great D, boards up, good j, can take it to the rack, and great shot selection.. He just forced to take shots he doesn't want cause he expected to lead the team. He could def turn a good team into a championship contender. I was hoping NO landed him somehow cause with CP3 he would be nuts.
Last edited by naturalborn103 on Sat Oct 16, 2010 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gregg Popabitch

naturalborn103 wrote:Kinda off topic, but I feel bad for Iguodala, he got a bad rep cause Philly payed him like a #1 on a team and people expect that out of him.. He plays great but he is just not suited to be a first option and can't fill role people expect, in turn people think he is not good. I think if he would be a real good #2 or even a great #3, he just playing the wrong role right now. He could def turn a good team into a championship contender. I was hoping NO landed him somehow cause with CP3 he would be nuts.
yeah, a few posters here have been saying this for awhile. Completely agree.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

I think the team is going to focus around Holiday now much like the Celtics have with with Rondo. Two completely different levels but everyone seems to be a big believer in Holiday. Sixers always overpay and expect a lot. Look at the deal they gave Lou Williams? And now he is coming off the bench as a SG instead of a PG in which they paid him for.

Elton Brand anyone?

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Big Breeze wrote: I'm waiting to get my dick sucked by vermillion too, like he did poppa and Reason with his slobbering succotash of praise.
serious ego issues
Nets 2022

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Reason wrote:
Big Breeze wrote: I'm waiting to get my dick sucked by vermillion too, like he did poppa and Reason with his slobbering succotash of praise.
serious ego issues
we should be better than this, right?

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Philaflava wrote:I think the team is going to focus around Holiday now much like the Celtics have with with Rondo. Two completely different levels but everyone seems to be a big believer in Holiday. Sixers always overpay and expect a lot. Look at the deal they gave Lou Williams? And now he is coming off the bench as a SG instead of a PG in which they paid him for.

Elton Brand anyone?
Is Holiday good enough? I haven't seen him play a lot. I am happy Brand is injury prone bum now, I hoped the worst for him ever since he played B Davis.

Gregg Popabitch

naturalborn103 wrote:
Philaflava wrote:I think the team is going to focus around Holiday now much like the Celtics have with with Rondo. Two completely different levels but everyone seems to be a big believer in Holiday. Sixers always overpay and expect a lot. Look at the deal they gave Lou Williams? And now he is coming off the bench as a SG instead of a PG in which they paid him for.

Elton Brand anyone?
Is Holiday good enough? I haven't seen him play a lot. I am happy Brand is injury prone bum now, I hoped the worst for him ever since he played B Davis.
Holiday is legit.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

This is my mea culpa. I said the comment because through text it sounded like some tremendous ass kissing. There is dap and then there is vacuum-like suction of the penis. I felt like it was the latter and called on it.

If the praise would have been heaped upon two different heads, it wouldn't have been so "controversial". Since it is on cats that I have had numerous pissing contests with, it can come across as an ego or a jealousy thing. Well brohams, it is none of the above.

I consider this whole matter closed, so I'm bangin the gavel on this bitch. Back to basketball and shit. Out.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

holiday looks awesome

trajan langdon on cska gettin at cavs revenge style
Nets 2022

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

HOW ABOUT THOSE TIMBERWOLVES???
http://www.hoopsworld.com/Story.asp?STORY_ID=17613
Before you read any further there is a phrase we all need to say together. Ready?

"It's only preseason."

Whew. Now that the caveat is out of the way, how about those Minnesota Timberwolves?

Heading into Friday night's matchup with the Detroit Pistons at the Target Center the Wolves have posted a 3-1 record this preseason. Why is that significant? Check out what Steve Kyler said the other morning:

Over the last five years the top eight teams in Preseason have made the post season with a lot of regularity. In fact, the top 8 teams made the post-season 87.5% of the time in 2010 - (7 of 8), 87.5% of the time in 2009 - (7 of 8), 62.5% of the time in 2008 ג€“ (5 of 8), 75% of the time in 2007 ג€“ (6 of 8) and 100% of the time in 2006 - (8 for 8).

Hardly a mathematical windfall, but having Preseason success historically tends to bode well for postseason aspirations.

Going into Thursday night's games the Wolves were tied with Cleveland and Washington for the fifth-best record of the preseason.

So how are they doing it? The numbers tell a lot. Yes, the teams they have played so far ג€“ L.A. Lakers, New York Knicks, Denver Nuggets, and Indiana Pacers ג€“ are either teams struggling to improve like Minny (in the case of New York and Indy), or they don't have a lot of need for the preseason because they are veteran teams who know who they are (L.A. and Denver).

Still, it's worth noting the Wolves are outscoring their opponents by 6.8 points a game, fifth in the NBA. They are outrebounding their opponents ג€“ this is where I point out a positive rebounding differential is a key indicator of team success ג€“ by 3.3 a game, ninth in the NBA. The Wolves turn the ball over less than their opponents, are blocking more shots, and are shooting a ridiculous 47.9% from the three-point line.

Actually, they are shooting only 41.7% from the field overall and 40.1% from within the line, so perhaps maybe they just need to give up on two-pointers altogether.

See, this is where the numbers start showing what the Wolves will become. The shooting is amazing now, but that's not something that will stay. They will go cold and unless they can develop an offense inside the three-point line the Wolves will end up right where experts predict they will.

Last place in the Northwest Division, near the bottom of the Western Conference, and right around 25 wins.

Or will they? Do the Wolves have the ability to be better than anyone expected, as the case was made here last month?

Absolutely. And before anyone goes running to my editor to tell him I've lost my mind, hear me out.

Successful teams need a few things. They need a smart point guard who doesn't turn the ball over. They need a defensive stopper in the middle and a solid rebounder. They need a go-to scorer when they need a basket. They need an outside shooting threat. They need a perimeter defender.

Shockingly, the Wolves have a great deal of those things.

Luke Ridnour's star has fallen since he was traded from the Seattle SuperSonics, but the truth is he is a very solid point guard. What hurt him at the end of his time in Seattle and then in Milwaukee is not being able to deal with having to share the position. If he is the unquestioned starter ג€“ as he will be at least until Jonny Flynn comes back from injury ג€“ he will be successful. Ridnour boasts a career assist-to-turnover ratio of 2.87:1, which is very respectable. Last season in Milwaukee he also posted career-highs in shooting percentage (48%), three-point shooting percentage (38%), and free throw shooting percentage (91%) ג€“ not only does he not make mistakes but he's efficient.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

View Jason Fleming Archive In the post the Wolves have both a defensive stopper in center Darko Milicic and a very good rebounder in power forward Kevin Love. People routinely scoff at any praise laid at the feet of Milicic, but forget for a minute he was the number two pick in a draft that ended up with him being chosen ahead of Chris Bosh, Dwyane Wade, and Carmelo Anthony. Teams routinely do worse with a starting center who intimidates drives, blocks 1.2 shots a game, grabs 5.5 boards, and scores 8.3 points a game, as Darko did after being traded from the New York Knicks to Minnesota last season. Believe it or not, but Milicic is a bona fide defensive presence opposing coaches take into account when putting together an offensive game plan.

Love is going to do what he does. Now the unquestioned starter at the four he will post double-doubles every night, make those amazing outlet passes for easy buckets, spread the defense with his ability to hit the outside shot, and be a coach and leader on the floor (something Ridnour hasn't proven he can do).

As for scoring, go no further than Michael Beasley. There is little doubt he will be on the floor much of the time and is the most gifted scorer on the team. When it comes down to the final possession and the Wolves need a hoop, they will look for Beasley. He can be physical, put the ball on the floor, and shoot the jumper. In this preseason he has been the Wolves leading scoring, tossing in 16.0 points a game in only 22.3 minutes a night. Once the regular season begins expect his minutes to reach at least 30 a night, which means 20 points a game for Beasley is a safe bet.
When it comes to outside shooting the Wolves are loaded. Their ridiculous preseason numbers from deep have already been noted, but it's also important to note that not only can Ridnour, Love, and Beasley hit from three-point land, but the Wolves also added sharpshooter Martell Webster in trade on draft night and chose Wesley Johnson for themselves. Those two are a combined 15-31 from three-point range. Anthony Tolliver and Corey Brewer also have three-point range. What does that mean? It means defenses are going to have to cover the Wolves out on the perimeter because every player is a threat to make that shot. Yes, there will be nights when they go cold, but that shooting is going to open up the middle and give the guards a lot of driving lanes.

Perimeter defense will be an issue. Brewer is excellent, but Webster moves laterally very poorly. Both Ridnour and Sebastian Telfair are matadors at the one spot. Love is okay, but also not the quickest at moving his feet on defense. Johnson and Tolliver may be average, but they aren't going to shut anyone down. That puts a lot of pressure on Brewer to handle the other team's best perimeter player and a lot of pressure on Milicic in the middle to erase mistakes. Foul trouble could be a problem, and behind Milicic Nikola Pekovic is unproven at the NBA level as a defender.

What does all of this mean? Do we need to revise our predictions about the Wolves? Are they much improved, much more so than anyone believed?

Well, sort of. It wouldn't be a surprise at all to see this team top 30 wins and maybe even push towards 35. It won't be enough to keep them out of the cellar in the Northwest Division, but it would be a drastic improvement on 2009-10 and would paint the Wolves as a team to watch in 2011-12 (if there is a 2011-12, and if there is that could include Ricky Rubio).
These Wolves work hard and they are going to be quite entertaining to watch. Many have discounted them because they are the Wolves and because of their cost-conscious approach to the past summer, but it could end up paying very large dividends for them much sooner than anyone expected a month ago.

Then again, it is only preseason.

:reason: ????
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Sick dime by Rondo to the gawd Semih.

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/aaVnpQ2-fWY&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/aaVnpQ2-fWY&hl ... &version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>