Official NBA offseason thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

elohim

Post by elohim »

capable_keL wrote:HOW ABOUT THOSE TIMBERWOLVES???
Saw T'Wolves vs. Bucks tonight cuz I won a local radio station's trivia question ("Who did the Wolves draft in '05?" Rashad McCants). Shit was fun. I kept yelling Darko was the greatest player ever. Caught a t-shirt from the T'Wolves mascot and gave it to a little kid.

:cheers:

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

fuck little kids.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

oh shit gregg popabitch is back
Nets 2022

elohim

Post by elohim »

Reason wrote:oh shit gregg popabitch is back
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

fwiw, it was a youth medium and I didn't see Icesickle in attendance

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

elohim wrote:
capable_keL wrote:HOW ABOUT THOSE TIMBERWOLVES???
Saw T'Wolves vs. Bucks tonight cuz I won a local radio station's trivia question ("Who did the Wolves draft in '05?" Rashad McCants). Shit was fun. I kept yelling Darko was the greatest player ever. Caught a t-shirt from the T'Wolves mascot and gave it to a little kid.

:cheers:
i been sayin g it for years, the wolves have the most athletic, young explosive core in the league. darko will be the steal of the year. martell webster looks like superman, this year i am not talking about rubio or speculating how we win the division when he comes over

calling it now

we get the 8th seed

bang

:megaman:
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Gregg Popabitch

you're calling the wrong phone number.

vermillion

Post by vermillion »

Can`t wait for this season to start.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

dear peanut butter,

your bench and the fact that wright is a starter make your team really suck. i feel sorry for you and other gstate fans, even moreso than i do for myself because at least for part of the season the pacers will delude me into thinking they might make the playoffs. radmanovic, bell, carney, gadzuric, brandan wright, reggie williams, udoh, amundson. what an awful bench. i dont' like dorell as an nba starter either. and worst of all, when biedrins gets in foul trouble you're absolutely fucked for interior defense. damn. nothing personal, just looking at the roster, the coaching, and i don't like it at all.

<3,
rzn
Nets 2022

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

vermillion wrote:Can`t wait for this season to start.
ONE WEEK!

Jordan Crawford looks nasty. Atlanta is going to love him.

PEACE

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Carmelo and the franchise-player debate
Denver Nuggets

A contested shot from Carmelo Anthony is a familiar sight. (NBAE via Getty Images)

Carmelo Anthony is a gifted scorer, but statistics ג€” both advanced and traditional ג€” show heג€™s an inefficient scorer. His field-goal percentage is a tad below the league average, Denverג€™s fast pace inflates his pure point totals and his offensive rating, which measures how many points a player produces per 100 possessions, is right at the league average.

And yet, we have all spent the better part of the offseason talking about Anthony as if he were a franchise player, if not on the level of Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade or Kevin Durant, then certainly right at the top of the next subset of players. But the stats ג€” other than pure scoring average ג€” donג€™t bear that out.

As this debate unfolded, I kept thinking back to the 2009 playoffs, when ג€” as I remembered it ג€” Anthony was a singular force who was largely responsible for Denverג€™s coming within a couple of Trevor Ariza steals of pushing the Lakers to seven games in the Western Conference finals. I had certain images of that series: Anthonyג€™s getting to the line at will; Anthonyג€™s D-ing up on Kobe Bryant; Anthonyג€™s working hard for rebounds on the low block.

This morning I looked up his stats from that series: 27.5 points per game on 40.7 percent shooting, including a 25 percent clip from three-point range on a Baron Davis-like 4.7 attempts per game. And those rebounds? Try 4.8 per game, one more than Chauncey Billupsג€˜ average for that series. (Anthony did get to the line 12.5 times per game, which is crazy.)

My eyes saw something in Anthony that the stats didnג€™t back up.

Jeremy Wagner writes the Denver Nuggets blog Roundball Mining Company, and he had a similar eyes-versus-stats disconnect. So he cued up 10 games worth of videotape of Anthony and five other top perimeter scorers to see why this fantastic shot-maker ends up being so much less efficient than many other elite players. (The other scorers in Wagnerג€™s sample: Kobe, Durant, LeBron, Wade and Kevin Martin ג€” the last of those chosen because of his annually insane efficiency).

I implore you to go read Wagnerג€™s post. It is an outstanding piece of work, filled with easy-to-digest charts and the usual great writing. The upshot is this: Anthony takes many, many more contested shots than those other five guys and, as it would have to be, many fewer open looks. Example: Only 39 percent of Carmeloג€™s shots in Wagnerג€™s sample were classified as ג€œopen,ג€ meaning no defender was within an armג€™s length upon release. That was the lowest open-looks percentage in Wagnerג€™s study; Martin had the highest, with 69 percent of his shots classified as open.

The sad part is that Anthony hit a higher percentage of his open looks than anyone Wagner studied, and he hit a decent chunk of his contested looks, too. Heג€™s clearly a great shot-maker, but heג€™s taking too many bad shots.

We all know the classic Anthony bad shot: He catches the ball on the right wing with his defender in front of him, takes a couple of jab steps and launches a 20-footer. He also tends to drive into traffic at the rim, resulting in a lot of blocked shots and a declining shooting percentage on in-close field-goal attempts, according to Hoopdata. Thereג€™s also this: In 2006-2007, about 59 percent of Anthonyג€™s baskets came as the result of teammate assists, according to Hoopdata. In 2007-2008, that figure was about the same: 58 percent.

But something started to happen in 2008-2009, when just 48 percent of Anthonyג€™s buckets came after teammate assists, and that figure dropped to 41.6 percent last season. Thatג€™s still much higher than assisted-on rates for guys like LeBron and Wade, but those two are essentially point guards who create for themselves and others. Anthony has a point guard ג€” Billups ג€” who should be able to create looks for him. Overall, Denverג€™s offense ranked 20th in team-assist rate.

Whatג€™s going on here? This is a complicated situation, and any comprehensive answer would have to look both at the coaching staffג€™s offensive strategy and Anthonyג€™s willingness to move away from isolations. During the first round of last yearג€™s playoffs, Kevin Arnovitz of ESPN.com noticed an interesting thing: Denver was absolutely shredding Utah with pick-and-rolls, but the Nuggets rarely ran them, choosing instead to rely on isolation-heavy sets their coach at the time, Adrian Dantley, characterized as ג€œrandom basketball.ג€ Arnovitz had a simple question for Dantley: If the team knew it was more efficient on pick-and-rolls than in ג€œrandomג€ iso sets, why didnג€™t Denver run more pick-and-rolls?

Dantleyג€™s response:
ג€œStatistically, weג€™ve had success on pick-on-rolls. Weג€™ve told them that. We want them to do that tomorrow. Hopefully they do it. But, the last five years, we do more ג€˜randomג€™ than we do pick-and-roll.ג€
Whoa. Either the players were breaking plays or the coaching staff decided to rely on sets with which the team was most comfortable. And those sets have worked well. Denver had the third-most efficient offense last season, largely because it drew fouls more often than any other team. Isolation drives are good for drawing fouls.

But Denverג€™s offense might reach another level if the team relied less on isolations and more on off-the-ball movement, pick-and-rolls and other ways to spring guys for open looks. And it might need to reach that level when it runs into an elite defense skilled at avoiding fouls ג€” precisely the sort of defense the Lakers play.

Anthony might thrive in that sort of offense if heג€™s willing to adapt, but teams interested in acquiring him have to wonder how interested he is.

Gregg Popabitch

Denver's coaching has been horrid. Adrian Dantely last year was abhorrable.

and people don't want to hear about it maybe because he had cancer or because he's likable but George Karl isn't a great head coach. He's a solid coach that was lucky enough to coach really talented teams. The Nuggets never had a play for an inbounds pass after a turnover or out of bounds call until Billups got there. Yes, this is an actual fact. How does a coach not have at least one play to get the ball inbounds.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:The Nuggets never had a play for an inbounds pass after a turnover or out of bounds call until Billups got there. Yes, this is an actual fact. How does a coach not have at least one play to get the ball inbounds.
Yea, I remember reading this in the big billups article on ESPN. That is crazy. I also always thought AI time on Denver hurt Mello alot in terms of players growth outside of just scoring.

Gregg Popabitch

I'm a huge believer in good coaching or even just a good situation/atmosphere bringing out potential and making talent a reality.

There were a lot of players that I look at that were can't miss and when you look at how they missed, i would look at their whole situation.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

the more i get into sports gambling the more i learn and realize how much coaching matters in nba (nfl too but that's obvious in that sport)
Nets 2022

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

I think the last 10 posts I have seen by Reason have started with "the more i get into sports gambling the more i learn and realize..."

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

sry?
Nets 2022

Gregg Popabitch

the more i get into sports gambling, the more i learn and realize how much money i'm actually losing

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

the more i get into sports gambling, the more i learn and realize how much money I'm actually losing because gambling on the nfl this season is FUCKING RETARDED.

Gregg Popabitch

the more i get into sports gambling, the more i learn and realize how much positive A stalks my life on the boardwalk and analyzes my gambling habits so he can take my quotes and twist them and make me look like a degenerate.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:the more i get into sports gambling, the more i learn and realize how much positive A stalks my life on the boardwalk and analyzes my gambling habits so he can take my quotes and twist them and make me look like a degenerate.
:lol:

Gimme Lopez (of the Brook variety) and CP3 for Wall and Charlie V.

Gregg Popabitch

just because i have an ass doesn't mean you can rape it.

lol @ anyone drafting Charlie Villanueva.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:just because i have an ass doesn't mean you can rape it.

If he had eyebrows they would be furrowed right now...

...the chances of him making it to friday on my roster? nil. We only keep winners, fam.

Gregg Popabitch

Gregg Popabitch wrote:just because i have an ass doesn't mean you can rape it.

this was not only a shot at you but a shot at every single Raptors fan on this board.

btw Raptors fans, CALDERON IN YOUR FACE. HES STARTING BEYOTCHES. CALDERON IN YOUR FACE

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Positive A wrote:the more i get into sports gambling, the more i learn and realize how much money I'm actually losing because gambling on the nfl this season is FUCKING RETARDED.
:leon: SPORTS POST OF THE FUCKING YEAR, SHIT IS TOO TRUE.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

D. Rose with the near triple double tonight.

God damn, this season is gonna be great.
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

Go Spurs!

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

top 5 worst teams in nba in no partic. order

nets
twolves
cavs
raptors
warriors
Nets 2022

an-also

Post by an-also »

Gregg Popabitch

an-also wrote:Image
-chick looks fine even though the blurriness might be me using my imagination to fill in the blanks.

-fuck both of them for rocking those nerdy jay-z faux "i'm intellectual and cool" glasses

-lol @ the shirt

-are they watching hawaii 5-0 in the background?

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

that shirt rules
Nets 2022