NHL 09/10 Season

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

alpha

Post by alpha »

sharks have outscored the flames and kings 14-2 in their last 2 games. still plenty of hockey left but if they were ever gonna break through in the playoffs this would be the year.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

alpha wrote:sharks have outscored the flames and kings 14-2 in their last 2 games. still plenty of hockey left but if they were ever gonna break through in the playoffs this would be the year.
for some reason i still dont see it happening.

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/oEQzxQDCE6I&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/oEQzxQDCE6I&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

an-also

Post by an-also »

I didnt realize how much I hated Pierre Macguire till today. What a world class fag

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Rofl @ the collision after he gets up and tries to skate.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=308469

Two teams in dire need of a shakeup have done just that.

The Calgary Flames have traded defenceman Dion Phaneuf, forward Fredrik Sjostrom, and prospect defenceman Keith Aulie to the Toronto Maple Leafs in exchange for forwards Matt Stajan, Niklas Hagman, Jamal Mayers and defenceman Ian White.

The Maple Leafs and Flames have been working on the components of this blockbuster for a week to ten days, but sources say the details of the deal didn't fall into place until late last night.

"[Phaneuf] is a warrior. He's got a cannon for a shot," explained Maple Leafs general manager Brian Burke on Sunday. "He plays the game hard and I want players who play the game hard because they're hard to play against."

The former all-star defenceman was emotional when he told reporters that he was shocked to hear of the trade, but said he was also excited about playing in the biggest hockey market in the world.

The Edmonton native has two goals over his last three games and is signed through the 2013-14 season ($6.5 million per). He had 18:49 TOI last night, only the third time this month he's been under 20 minutes in a game. The big defenceman has 10 goals and 12 assists to go with a minus-3 rating over his 55 games.

Sjostrom has played 46 games with one goal and five assists for Calgary this season. Aulie was drafted in the fourth round, 116th overall of the 2007 NHL Entry Draft. The six-foot-six defenceman had spent this season with the Abbotsford Heat of the AHL.

Hagman has 20 goals and 13 assists, while Stajan has 16 goals and 25 assists, each over 55 games this season. Both players have a minus-3 rating. Mayers had expressed interest in being traded earlier in January. He had two goals, six assists and 78 penalty minutes over his 44 games with the Maple Leafs this season. White had nine goals, 17 assists and a plus-1 rating over his 56 games.

Burke admitted the loss of Stajan and Hagman would leave a hole in the Maple Leaf attack, but explained acquiring Phaneuf was too good to pass up.

"It takes some offence out of our lineup and that's the next question ... who replaces that offence we lost today, but it puts a major weapon on the blueline and makes us much more difficult to play."

Since he entered the NHL in the 2005-06 season Phaneuf is tops among defenceman with 75 goals (2nd Sheldon Souray - 68), power-play goals with 48 (2nd Zdeno Chara - 41), game-winning goals with 21 (2nd Dan Boyle - 15) and shots at 1,150 (2nd Chara - 992) over that span.

In addition, Phaneuf (48) ranks second to Paul Coffey (50) in power-play goals by a defenceman over the first five seasons of their career and he is tied with Denis Potvin for game winning goals (21) over the same span.

The Flames were mired in its worst slump (0-6-3) since an 11-game losing streak in 1986 before getting on the winning side of the tracks on Saturday night with a 6-1 victory over the Edmonton Oilers in the Battle of Alberta.

The Maple Leafs are coming off a dramatic loss to the Vancouver Canucks on Saturday evening, giving up a three-goal first period lead before falling 5-3. With the loss, coupled with Carolina's 4-2 victory over Chicago, Toronto now sits 29th in the NHL standings. The Hurricanes and Leafs are tied in points with 45 but Carolina is ahead because of more wins.

The Maple Leafs also acquired veteran goaltender Jean-Sebastien from the Anaheim Ducks on Sunday. In exchange, the Leafs shipped netminder Vesa Toskala and veteran forward Jason Blake to the Ducks.

Raphael De La Ghetto

Post by Raphael De La Ghetto »

Love the Giguire trade, dislike the Phaneuf trade. I don't like Phaneuf, plus I think White is more valuable than him.
I'm mostly just happy about getting rid of Blake.

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

I'm not sure how I feel about this trade. I'm glad to get rid of Phaneuf but I don't know if getting a bunch of Leafs was what I was looking for in return. However, Nicholas hagman seems to be decent and him, Stajan, and White have 100 points combined so it might be a good look.
I will definitely have to wait and see how this plays out.
I don't know why we got Jamal Mayers though...I don't know what role he would really play in Calgary.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

the fags are unloading doods. if they really want to improve they'd do well to lose kipper. that guy is overrated. (although, being a canucks fan they could keep him forever and suck balls and it won't bother me).

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

:larry:

Kipper is definitely not overrated
2.23 GAA, .920 Save pct, 3 SO, 24-16, $3.6 million this season

Luongo:
2.31GAA, .920 Save pct, 3 SO, 29-14, $6.5 million this season

Basically the same stats this season but Luongo costs almost $3 million more.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Kiran187 wrote:I don't know why we got Jamal Mayers though...I don't know what role he would really play in Calgary.
Yeah me and my boy said the same thing. But I think both teams are winners here. The got rid of Phaneuf that pretty much everyone in the locker room hated from what I read, and they got some decent players in return. Next one out in Calgary is Jokinen from what I am reading.

And Kipper is definitely not overrated. He is top 5 in the NHL. If Calgary could score some goals, he would have a much better record.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Wings with a HUGE win tonight vs the sharks. Time to make that playoff push.

alpha

Post by alpha »

an-also wrote:Wings with a HUGE win tonight vs the sharks. Time to make that playoff push.
i agree. they make that playoff push out of a first round matchup with the sharks and im cool

Raphael De La Ghetto

Post by Raphael De La Ghetto »

Leafs beat the Devils 3-0, with the 3 new players being the 3 stars of the game.
Looks as though the Leafs are #1 in the league again.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

Kiran187 wrote::larry:

Luongo:

vancouver - 3rd place
calgary - 9th place

i'll pay my goalie 3 million more to make the playoffs any year. detroit and or anaheim will pass calgary in the standings which means a nice long offseason of golfing and recreation for the homos from cow town.

edit: detroit already passed them and there's 5 teams within 5 points behind and calgary has won 1 in 10. 1! and that was against the oilers who had lost about 100 games in a row until they won on monday. the flames are quick starters and late chokers. and they wont make the playoffs this year. great job kipper. that cup run made that dood, but he's been getting worse each year since.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

alpha wrote:
an-also wrote:Wings with a HUGE win tonight vs the sharks. Time to make that playoff push.
i agree. they make that playoff push out of a first round matchup with the sharks and im cool
detroit could beat san jose in a 7 game series.

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

jredd109 wrote:
Kiran187 wrote::larry:

Luongo:

vancouver - 3rd place
calgary - 9th place

i'll pay my goalie 3 million more to make the playoffs any year. detroit and or anaheim will pass calgary in the standings which means a nice long offseason of golfing and recreation for the homos from cow town.

edit: detroit already passed them and there's 5 teams within 5 points behind and calgary has won 1 in 10. 1! and that was against the oilers who had lost about 100 games in a row until they won on monday. the flames are quick starters and late chokers. and they wont make the playoffs this year. great job kipper. that cup run made that dood, but he's been getting worse each year since.
Calgary's record is shit right now for sure but it ain't because of Kipper. We can't score goals to save our lives right now. Kipper is at least keeping us in the games and giving us a chance to win.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Ilya Kovalchuk's been told hes getting traded in the next few days. Apparently hes close to being traded to the Kings. A top line of Kopitar, Kove and Brown = :ohsh:

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Here is what TSN is reporting about Kove:
tsn.ca wrote:Ilya Kovalchuk's days as a member of the Atlanta Thrashers appear to be numbered.

Thrashers general manager Don Waddell met with the star forward on Wednesday and told him to expect a trade to another NHL team over the next few hours or days.

There is no indication that any deal with a specific team is imminent, but the Chicago Blackhawks, Boston Bruins and New York Rangers are included on a list of five or more teams who continue to express interest.

Kovalchuk, 26, became the subject of trade rumours recently after reports surfaced that he could not come to terms on a multi-year contract with the only NHL team he's ever played for. The Russian sniper is in the final year of his current deal and is eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1.

A seven-year NHL veteran, Kovalchuk was selected first overall by the Thrashers in the 2001 NHL Draft. In 594 career NHL games with Atlanta, he has amassed 328 goals and 615 points.

Kovalchuk scored a career-high 52 goals with the Thrashers in 2007-08 and was co-recipient of the Rocket Richard Trophy in 2003-04 with a league-leading 41 goals.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Whoa...if its LA, what the fuck would they have to give up? Doughty, Brown, Kopitar HAVE to be untouchable in this case, right?

an-also

Post by an-also »

Positive A wrote:Whoa...if its LA, what the fuck would they have to give up? Doughty, Brown, Kopitar HAVE to be untouchable in this case, right?
They have other young talent like Jack Johnson, Simmonds, and Moller

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Positive A wrote:Whoa...if its LA, what the fuck would they have to give up? Doughty, Brown, Kopitar HAVE to be untouchable in this case, right?
I guess that the big piece of the puzzle is Wayne Simmons. Atlanta wants him. Supposedly their asking price is for 3 players and draft picks for Kovalchuk. The draft picks have to be at least 1 1st round pick. And the players have to be legitimate prospects that are going to make an impact. That is why some teams are having a rough time putting together a package, because they are asking a lot.

Kalel
Internet Celebrity

Post by Kalel »

Raphael De La Ghetto wrote:Leafs beat the Devils 3-0, with the 3 new players being the 3 stars of the game.
Looks as though the Leafs are #1 in the league again.
Shut up.

And no.

alpha

Post by alpha »

jredd109 wrote:
alpha wrote:

fo real tho, wings are still really good. is it april yet so I can be let down by my home team, AGAIN.

an-also

Post by an-also »

alpha wrote:
jredd109 wrote:
alpha wrote:

fo real tho, wings are still really good. is it april yet so I can be let down by my home team, AGAIN.
I think this is the year you guys might get it done. :megaman:

Wings are in trouble right now. Jimmy Howard is carrying us. The wings have been giving up 40+ shots on a regular. I still hope we can sneak into the playoffs because the Wings will be a tough out for any top seed team. You can bet on that. 2010 wings = 2009 Ducks

an-also

Post by an-also »

Word is Kovy is getting traded tonight to a team in the east.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

an-also wrote:Word is Kovy is getting traded tonight to a team in the east.
Boston?

an-also

Post by an-also »

Boston is saying they dont want to give up any of their 2 first round picks.

Philly could be in the mix. Who else in the east is involved in the rumors?

Kiran187

Post by Kiran187 »

I heard Boston or possibly the Rangers