Why do people root for teams outside their hometown areas?

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

you are a buffalo bills fan?

i feel bad for you.

ripweblo
pork

Post by ripweblo »

Gilbert Subpoenas wrote:you are a buffalo bills fan?

i feel bad for you.

gonna tape that stanford game on saturday too just in case

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

ripweblo wrote:

i feel bad for you.

gonna tape that stanford game on saturday too just in case
not a jake locker fan?

as a giants fan, i really want prince akadjkalfjlskjal, patrick peterson, or bruce carter

ric

Post by ric »

i love the steelers. and i love defense in sports and games and defense has intrigued me since i was a kid. so when i was a kid and started watching the game a bit the steeler D with levon kirkland, kevin greene, chad brown, jason gilden, etc was fucking murder and i loved it and have loved the steelers ever since. remember carnell lake? remember how awesome THE rod woodson was? and kirkland was the heart and soul of that D too, the dude was murderous.

and remember they drafted kordell stewart to be the savior? and he sorta was/mostly wasnt? and they had to rely on fucking chris odonnell for a while? haha. and when pittsburgh got THE BUS and shit was crazy in your fucking face all the time? i mean, even when he was old he was STILL DOING IT you know? and they had lethon flowers as a young d back going to the superbowl? and big ass mark breuner? and yancy thigpen?

i mean i just grew up loving the steeler game once football was sort of on my radar and as it turns out the steeler game is some primo shit, fuck what you heard.

and i love the cowher legacy and i hope that the new rooney owner/shark is wise enough to see that continuing that rooney legacy of coaching long term and team building and loyalty was basically a good thing that did amount to quality play and ultimate victory and still can today

anyway. in general i root for whoever i feel some sort of connection to or whoever is enjoyable to watch.

in college football im all about the UW but i also like texas and i also like auburn BUT I ALSO LIKE alabama and i liked auburn before i liked bama. figure that shit out.

michigan ball used to be my thing. used to love charles woodson. still got love for him despite my indifference to green bay.

also i didnt really like tennessee but my favorite number is 37 because peerless motherfucking price even though my favorite positions back then were RB and DB

now basketball was a different thing i mean there are so many great players that were in the league when i was exclusively into basketball. the sonics actually were pretty sweet and gary payton was frequently on my roster for dream teams and i just worshipped GP growing up - i could really take or leave kemp in terms of who i loved but GP i was like :ohsh: and then the sonics got eric snow and i was like :bow: to both of them. then you got reggie miller and the 90s pacers. the 90s knicks, i liked them too. the twin tower spurs. the rodman era spurs. david robinson was my favorite player for a few years and avery johnson was always underrated. you had the charlotte hornets expansion. Zo, muggsy, LJ, curry. and i used to love that teal color. the domination houston rockets w/ hakeem and barkley and DREXLER (barkley tied with GP for greatest shit talkers in the game, no question) and then you got ray allen. when he was at UCONN i worshipped ray allen and then he played for the bucks and the worship continued and then he came to seattle i swear to god i almost died and then...they fucking traded him and that marked the end of the end of my desire to give a shit about basketball.

oh yeah one more. damon stoudamire. i watched this dude play for zona and as soon as the raptors drafted that motherfucker and i saw him play a few games he was my favorite player (and was for YEARS). but i did not worship him like ray allen or GP if that makes any sense
Last edited by ric on Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

DLG

Post by DLG »

I remember there being a large contingent of Cowboys fans up in northern new jersey during the 90s who were mostly bandwagon fans, always thought it was fucked up to be living on giants territory and rooting for the cowboys. There were at least 10 of these people in my grade alone.

GLUS

Post by GLUS »

i feel bad for you.

GLUS

Post by GLUS »

I just noticed steve smith's limp wrist im my sig

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

GLUS wrote:I just noticed steve smith's limp wrist im my sig
he holdin the wrist like a fancy boy

teehee

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Kel had one good month at a down time here in P&B where cats jocked him for posting like Kool Keith. Can anyone name 1 good thread he started or saved this past month?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Philaflava wrote:Kel had one good month at a down time here in P&B where cats jocked him for posting like Kool Keith. Can anyone name 1 good thread he started or saved this past month?
its true. i am a gimmick poster; by the time i get to the black elvis album i am out of material

:sad:

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

I think there can be a lot of different reasons why someone would do this. I don't really care so long as the person actually knows the sport/team and isn't just like, a Yankees fan because the Yankees won the world series.

I like to fancy myself a Royals fan, even though I'm really not much of one I guess, nor have I ever been to Missouri (let alone Kansas City). But I am genuinely happy when the Royals win and I want them to win. My late uncle was a scout for the Royals and has a world series ring from them, my aunt has a world series necklace she wears everyday. I tend to like small market underdogs, which the Royals clearly are. I also think they have the prettiest jerseys. They arguably (supposedly) also have the best stadium in baseball. So yeah, I like the Royals. I just like baseball mostly I guess though...
I <3 Employee.

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

I think it's cool to like and also root for teams from other areas, but in my personal opinion I don't think heads should pledge full-on support to others while abandoning their homebase squads.

I think one exception is if there are no teams in your area.

Bandwagon, fairweather fans make me sick too.

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

I have no problems with bandwagon and fairweather fans, as long as the team is their home team. Imo, the more support a team has, the better. Not everyone cares enough or has enough time to follow my favorite teams as religiously as I do, but that doesn't mean they can't still be a fan and root for the team too. There's no such thing as someone being a better fan than someone else. An obvious example of this is the Blackhawks success this year. So many pretentious faggots were bitching about people not being "real" Blackhawks fans this year. Who gives a fuck? 3 years ago you couldn't even watch Blackhawk games on tv. I'm a die hard Bulls fan. I understand that not everyone can be, so I don't really give a fuck if someone jumps on the bandwagon if we make the playoffs. Like I said, the more support, the better.

The only thing that bugs me is chicks who think it's cool and attractive to act like they're really into sports, when they most likely don't give a shit. If you really love the sport/team, that great - root for them. If you don't, then don't fake it. No one is impressed. Nothing is more dumb than a girl trying to be "one of the guys".
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

what happens in the rare case that your team moves?

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

Ramen wrote:what happens in the rare case that your team moves?
Excellent question because this applies to myself and people whose team may have moved away (ie. Seattle Supersonics).

I'm a native Californian, but I moved to St. Louis for a while in the 80's. The first football team that I ever rode with was the St. Louis football Cardinals. It used to be dope how you had 2 teams in the same city with the same name. I used to go the old Busch Stadium and cheer for them with the season tickets that my family had.

When Bill Bidwell and has family moved them to Phoenix, they were dead to me. There was no way that I was going to roll with them, because they abandoned the fans. IMHO, when a team moves away from you, it gives you the opportunity to evaluate your fanship and choose a new allegiance.

I moved back to California in '88 and became an LA Raider fan. I couldn't relate to the Rams because they weren't really an LA team since they played in Orange County. LA and Orange counties don't see eye-to-eye culturally at all. They had abandoned the Coliseum for Anaheim Stadium.

The Raiders were the team for me to root for and even when they went back up to Oakland, I didn't trip that hard about it. A lot of people were pissed and to this day some people call them the Traitors, but there is still very much a lot of Raider love in the LA area.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

i'm a jets/yanks fan

but i'm a pacers fan

my introduction to basketball as a fan was the fab five at michigan

jalen rose was my fav player ever

in his junior year, i started watching any bit of basketball on tv, nba/college

in that playoffs in the eastern conference finals, i watched reggie put on one of the great performances in a playoff series ever for a player on the losing team

the night he scored 25 in the 4th quarter, i was jumping up and down with each made shot, goin crazy...i had no allegiance to any teams, so i started loving reggie miller, then the pacers, then in turn hating the knicks...ever since i've been a hardcore pacer fan...i've had plenty of great moments despite never winning a title: the day i learned jalen rose was traded to the pacers (basically at that time my favorite player getting traded to my favorite team, was fucking ridiculously awesome and divine in my young eyes nh), game 4 in orlando against penny/shaq, game 6/taking the bulls to 7 games against jordan/pippen part 2, jonathan bender doing a sick one handed tomahawk effortlessly in garbage minutes in the finals against the lakers, the team as it was RIGHT before that fateful malice in the palace night, beating the knicks in 95, etc.

they seriously did all they could to lose me as a fan ever since larry bird started asserting his will over donnie walsh (who was always slightly overrated to begin with, but solid as fuck), but larry was chris mullin level player-turned-gm bad...there was a year i was rooting for people like fred jones and maceo baston (former wolverine!) and marquis daniels and david harrison and got excited (stupidly) for fa/trade acquisitions like sarunas jasikevicius (fuck his spelling) and ron mercer and a SLEW OF SHITTY ROOKIES WHO TURNED OUT TO BE NOTHING, the jamison brewers and shawne williams' of the world

and there is a piece of my heart that died forever but gradually crumbled away to get to that point...and that is a result of the wasted talent and potential of jamal tinsley. i think i jizzed my pants when he had that 20 assist triple double game

and with all this torture and knowledge and love, i['m a pacers fan
Last edited by Reason on Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

plus anyone who owns a dale davis authentic is a pacers fan
Nets 2022

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Hayzoos wrote:
The only thing that bugs me is chicks who think it's cool and attractive to act like they're really into sports, when they most likely don't give a shit. If you really love the sport/team, that great - root for them. If you don't, then don't fake it. No one is impressed. Nothing is more dumb than a girl trying to be "one of the guys".
yo gangsta, here's a tip....

never ever let some shaved twat ever have an impact on your emotions unless she done burfed yo seeds
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

MF ZACK

Post by MF ZACK »

My hometown doesn't have any professional teams :(

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

MF ZACK wrote:My hometown doesn't have any professional teams :(
can you disclose your gay location or do we have to guess?

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Ramen wrote:what happens in the rare case that your team moves?
When the Hornets moved i stuck with them but i had already moved from Va Beach to FL at the time. If a team moves i would have no problem with someone becoming a "free agent" though if they lived in the home city, that shit would have to be depressing.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

i was gonna follow the vikings to LA, but fuck em. breeze can have them

i am a clay mathews guy

go pack
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Prophecy
not Psychosis

Post by Prophecy »

Also, If i was a sonics fan i would want to hang myself right now with the way OKC has been building.
"Dosent russian bitches let you shit on their face?" -AxEwOuNdFiStEr-
Masked Terror #1 wrote:We were cranking Slayer on the underwater speakers the whole trip. Sharks love Slayer.
Reggie wrote:Bottom line is that if you're not making rap music because you love it and/or you've got something unique to say, that is, if rap is just your "hustle", then you're a fucking asshole.

MF ZACK

Post by MF ZACK »

I guess you can consider Delaware gay. Aint shit there.

MF ZACK

Post by MF ZACK »

Hence why I'm a Phoenix Suns fan.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

MF ZACK wrote:I guess you can consider Delaware gay. Aint shit there.
i can't remember meeting any connected guys from delaware, sal...

MF ZACK

Post by MF ZACK »

Yea that place is wack as fuck, but anyway...Philly is close and I used to be up there all the time, but I just can't fuck with the Sixers post-Iverson.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

MF ZACK wrote:Yea that place is wack as fuck, but anyway...Philly is close and I used to be up there all the time, but I just can't fuck with the Sixers post-Iverson.
i would suggest you start following the wolves

rubio
wes
beasley
love

back 2 back 2 back

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Kid That's Lifeless wrote:I picked Florida State as my team (about 4 hours from where I lived) because most of my family are UF grads and I thought Steve Spurrier was a cocksucker (he is). UNC was always on TV for basketball and I really liked the Cota/Jamison/Carter teams and I stuck with them.

I cheer for the school I go to (South Florida), but if they were to play FSU in football or UNC in basketball, I'm going with the teams I chose when I was young. If people don't like that, fuck 'em.
:cheers:

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

All my favorites where local teams when I was a kid. The only exception to that would have been the Cubs if the White Sox did not exist as my hatred for them had nothing to do with the rivalry but because the Cubs used to interrupt Scooby Doo. That said I did like the cubs in the 90s because they had two of my favorite players in Mark Grace and Sosa now I am back to not giving a shit. I have no problem with people liking other teams from the local and if the local team sucks I have no problem in fact I encourage them to drop them as that is the only way to let ownership know it is unacceptable to suck. No one should be out their supporting the Pirates or Royals.

On the college front if you go to a football powerhouse you really should be fan for life the same with basketball factories.