Official Sports Talk Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

peanut butter

Re: Official Sports Talk Thread

Post by peanut butter »

Bay Area Sports Guy wrote:The final piece of 95.7 FM The Game’s new lineup was announced today, in the form of a full-time partnership between Brandon Tierney and ESPN’s Ric Bucher for The Game’s afternoon show, “The Drive.” The new programming schedule will debut next week.

Tierney talked this afternoon about the outstanding qualifications of several other co-hosting candidates, including Lincoln Kennedy, Gary Payton, Jon Ritchie and Rod Woodson — all former players. Although Tierney’s former co-host, Eric Davis, played for the 49ers and Panthers, Bucher’s a media guy through and through.

Bucher’s been a part of ESPN’s NBA coverage for years, but that was after covering the Golden State Warriors beat at the San Jose Mercury News. Along with Matt Steinmetz’s promotion from “Insider” to full-time host from 10-noon, The Game’s lineup is much more NBA-centric than it was a couple weeks ago.

Does this mean the Warriors will follow Steinmetz and Bucher, leaving KNBR behind in the process?

I’m still not totally buying it. There’s certainly a chance the Warriors could move to The Game, and they’re probably tempted by the idea of a station propping up the Warriors as their No. 1 programming priority.

HOWEVER, 95.7 still has some issues to iron out in terms of signal strength. Plus, even though KNBR has shuffled several Warriors games off to 1050 over the years, quite a few have been carried on 680 — a far better lead-in than The Game could provide, at least for the foreseeable future. Changing flagship stations would mean the Warriors would go from serving as a bit player to anchoring the daily lineup.

In a way, if the Warriors moved to The Game it’d almost be like when Conan O’Brien moved from NBC to TBS. Well, except without Jay Leno retiring from KNBR, then coming back to KNBR and taking back the timeslot he had supposedly given to the Warriors. OK, maybe it’s not a perfect comparison, but you get the idea.

I’m sure if you asked programming director Jason Barrett, he’d tell you Bucher was his first choice to work with Tierney regardless of whether or not they get the Warriors. Bucher’s a national guy, he’s a frequent guest on Bill Simmons’ podcast, and he makes provocative statements about the NBA. (Plus, he used to work with KNBR … more on that shortly.)

Whether or not Bucher can handle other sports remains to be seen. Tierney mentioned how Bucher used to cover the San Francisco Giants back in the day, and one would imagine Bucher would have to at least carry a modicum of NFL and MLB knowledge to get the job.

In a somewhat related (and uncomfortable) moment, Tierney mentioned to Mychael Urban (filling in this afternoon) during the Bucher announcement about how Urban will still be on during the weekends and how he really respects Urban’s “baseball mind.”

Over the past year or so, Bucher has served as a KNBR “Insider,” appearing as a guest on assorted shows. That arrangement is clearly no longer in effect, although we may get an increase in comments knocking Bucher by Gary Radnich (who over the years has made several references to Bucher previously declining to appear on KNBR without getting paid for his time).
That's a pretty huge get for The Game. I really like Bucher and will give this show a shot. I am not a BT fan, and I dont know what Bucher brings to the table when discussing anything other than hoops, so there is still a possibility that this sucks. But I like the potential here to finally have a guy on the air who deserves the platform.

PEACE

alpha

Post by alpha »

from what I remember when I've heard him on air, is that he's pretty knowledgeable about all sports. This is the 3pm show right?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I dont know when that station airs its shows anymore because management shuffled all the time slots.

PEACE

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

i mad a jolting appearance on Paul Allen's show on KFAN 100.3 FM/MSP-STP

just ripped the twins for taking the revenue of a new stadium and then putting out the worse pitching in the entire league and put a lil stank on it
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

peanut butter wrote:I dont know when that station airs its shows anymore because management shuffled all the time slots.

PEACE
Show is on from 3-7

PEACE

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

peanut butter wrote:
That's a pretty huge get for The Game. I really like Bucher and will give this show a shot. I am not a BT fan, and I dont know what Bucher brings to the table when discussing anything other than hoops, so there is still a possibility that this sucks. But I like the potential here to finally have a guy on the air who deserves the platform.
He can't be much worse than anyone else who they considered for the spot.
The thing is sometimes the listener can't appreciate the guy doing other sports than the one he's known for.
Not to compare him to Kevin Lynch, but I can't listen to that guy if he's not talking Niners/football.

On a unrelated note, I was with my 4 yr old nephew in the park, and he tells me that Stephen A. Smith is a superhero.
I forgot that I spent 30 min a while ago convincing him that Stephen A. had the power of talking real loud.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

if you're a jay mohr fan you need to listen to/watch this

if you hate joe buck you need to listen to/watch this

if you hate or love making fun or know who jon sterling and/or suzyn waldman are, you need to listen to/watch this

if you love vin scully you need to listen to/watch this

Nets 2022

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Not sports talk, but the gawd Rachel Nichols is leaving ESPN for Turner/CNN Sports.
Jayou & Rzn shed a tear.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

http://deadspin.com/5989287/im-better-a ... first-take
Dick Sherman brings it to Rick Bayless' fuckboy brother.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Fuck First Take. Fuck Skip Bayless. Fuck forced debate. Fuck race baiting. And fuck ESPN for pushing this trash on us.

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Again, not exactly Sports Talk related, but its relevant to naturalborn's interest
ESPN has suspended Simmons from Twitter for a few days after he called the Skip Bayless-Richard Sherman First Take meltdown last week awful and embarrassing. An ESPN source told me that the tweets violated ESPN's social media guidelines; Simmons was told to lie low for a few days. He hasn't tweeted since Tuesday Monday, and he'll apparently be allowed to return to Twitter tomorrow, making it a three-day hiatus. An ESPN spokesman declined comment, and Simmons didn't respond to an email.

Here are two tweets that got him into trouble. "Nobody won," he wrote. "Everyone lost. Including ESPN." Big words, and the tweets felt like a flashpoint for a show that's used to withering criticism, but not from ESPN's own—and certainly not from Simmons, one of the most powerful guys at the network.
http://deadspin.com/espn-suspends-bill- ... -453717304

Can we do an Official Sports Media thread? In which, Smithee can write odes to his fond memories of the London Olympics that were not that long ago, al can be a homer for homers, nb can write rage reviews of the BS Report while Popp applauds, I can bitch about every broadcast personality and KeL can tell us all to shut the fuck up. As it stands, we can't have that. The Official Sports Talk Thread is too narrowly defined. I feel boxed in here.

#FITZ

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

:cheers:

and I agree about sports media thread. I would love to talk shit about the horrible Boston media and how great White Mamba is as color commentator and how it is time for Heinshon to go.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Mike Francessa tried to ward off morons yesterday afternoon because some fans think Derek Jeter is in the same class as DiMaggio, Ruth, Mantle, and Gehrig. It was the worst 2 hour drive of my life.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Ralph Barbieri reported settled his lawsuit with SF radio station KNBR for $4 million dollars.
http://richliebermanreport.blogspot.com ... mment-form

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Wow.

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Damon Bruce went full Coogi Prophylactics today

PEACE

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

peanut butter wrote:Damon Bruce went full Coogi Prophylactics today
I was listening, but had no idea to what extent he went.
I turned the radio off right after he said the setting in sports is set to men, because I was about to park, and I'd had enough of his stupid shit.
Damon is actually the most listenable guy on local sports radio, but he is prone to go on lengthy diatribes. Regardless of the topic, I usually tune him out when he gets like that.
I don't know if he'll ever be great, but his smugness often gets the best of him.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Jayou Ayen wrote:
peanut butter wrote:Damon Bruce went full Coogi Prophylactics today
I was listening, but had no idea to what extent he went.
I turned the radio off right after he said the setting in sports is set to men, because I was about to park, and I'd had enough of his stupid shit.
Damon is actually the most listenable guy on local sports radio, but he is prone to go on lengthy diatribes. Regardless of the topic, I usually tune him out when he gets like that.
I don't know if he'll ever be great, but his smugness often gets the best of him.

Lee Hammer was Olbermann's Worst Person In the Sports World on Friday for not reprimanding Bruce immediately after the incident. And then it was announced that DB has been suspended indefinitely today.

I've quit listening to all local sports talk, but Bruce is the one guy is the one guy that I'll occasionally tune into if I'm in the car while his show is on.

That said, he's entirely unlistenable at this point. He's let the recognition as the best sports talker in the Bay Area go to his head, to the point where he's now so impressed by himself that every segment is just him laughing at his own jokes and patting himself on the back. The anti-woman rant is pretty much a culmination of things he's been building toward for some time now as a personality (arrogance/chauvinism). And I dont think he can be brought back now, much less would the station be interested in doing that because the industry is just constantly looking for more people to work more hours for less money. He was already the only local guy on 1050. I bet it would be easier and cheaper for the station to just spend that three hours buying syndicated talk from Fox or ESPN or whatever than try to find his replacement.

Which ultimately is pretty unfortunate. Even at his worst, I'd like to hear a passionate, local voice like DB rather than all the other irrelevant, vanilla bullshit that he competes with on KNBR and 95.7, or just piped in hours of Petros & Money talking about the Lakers. What the station should do is double down on its commitment to women and hire Kate Scott to her own show for that timeslot, but there's no way that's gonna happen.

PEACE

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

I like Kate Scott, but there is no way that she could carry a whole show.
I know people hate Radnich, but he makes you appreciate his co-hosts, the way he plays off of them.
Dan Dibley, P-Con, and Larry Krueger are much less listenable on their own.

Lowell Cohn absolutely ethered Bruce in his column.
http://cohn.blogs.pressdemocrat.com/176 ... nd-morons/

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Jayou Ayen wrote:I like Kate Scott, but there is no way that she could carry a whole show.
I know people hate Radnich, but he makes you appreciate his co-hosts, the way he plays off of them.

I agree. Scott can't handle her own show now, but she does deserve a more pronounced roll at the station. I'd like to see KNBR double down on its commitment to women and give her a shot, rather than fuckin Ted Ramey or whatever bland, white male voice they are probably gonna go with, if they stay in house.

I saw the Cohn article yesterday. I generally think he's insufferable too, but that was ether. The irony too is that Bruce used to love having Cohn on his show.

PEACE

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

peanut butter wrote:
Jayou Ayen wrote:I like Kate Scott, but there is no way that she could carry a whole show.

I agree. Scott can't handle her own show now, but she does deserve a more pronounced roll at the station. I'd like to see KNBR double down on its commitment to women and give her a shot, rather than fuckin Ted Ramey or whatever bland, white male voice they are probably gonna go with, if they stay in house.

I saw the Cohn article yesterday. I generally think he's insufferable too, but that was ether. The irony too is that Bruce used to love having Cohn on his show.
I guess I didn't listen to Bruce enough on a regular basis, cause I never heard Cohn on there.
But he is an insufferable douche on CSN, he's a bit more tolerable on his Press Democrat blog.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Jayou Ayen wrote:
peanut butter wrote:

I guess I didn't listen to Bruce enough on a regular basis, cause I never heard Cohn on there.
But he is an insufferable douche on CSN, he's a bit more tolerable on his Press Democrat blog.

He used to be on, but he's been absent since the CSN guys started charging KNBR for their time. So its been a while. I do think its an interesting choice by Cohn to omit that he's been on the show multiple times though. It wouldn't detract from the point he's making, and it would be more transparent. To disassociate himself to the extent that he sounds like he doesn't know anything about the guy makes me question LC's motives.

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Bruce gonna be back on his show tomorrow

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

PEACE

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

I wouldn't want anyone to lose their job over this, but if someone had to go, I'd prefer it be Larry "Fanboy" Krueger or Eric Byrnes.
Sports Talk would be slightly more bearable.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

In news that matters only to me, Damon Bruce hired by 95.7 The Game, Dan Dibley fired by 95.7 The Game.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Nah b for all intensive purposes this is the Official Bay Area Sports Talk thread. Outside of Gloss showin up to his local station that one time to protest a rival team getting worse, we been held this shit down for pages now. And this news is well in play. Still doesn't change the fact that Bruce is a faggot who will be out in three months when the station employs its next scorched earth policy, and Dibley got egg on his face for all that slick shit he talked about KNBR tho. Who knew screamin at octogenarians about the ineptitude of the Niners secondary could be such a cold game?

PEACE

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Do you think 95.7 ever reached out to Ralph?
That's really the only person that i can imagine stealing listeners from KNBR, besides Gary.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Jayou Ayen wrote:Do you think 95.7 ever reached out to Ralph?
That's really the only person that i can imagine stealing listeners from KNBR, besides Gary.

Ralph is an old, sick man who just wants to hang out with his kid and he just received a humongous payout for getting fired. Not sure why he'd even be interested in a job at this point. And Bruce appeals way more to the demo that The Game is going for anyway. So for all parties involved, this move makes the most sense to me. God help the poor son of a bitch who wakes up every morning and listens to the Bucher & Towney show on their commute to work tho.

PEACE

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »