NBA Lottery/Draft/Offseason thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Mario Chalmers played alright last year, grabbed a ton of steals and you would totally undercut his growth as a player by bringing AI in.

Sad to see Iverson not on a team though, dude was/is one of my favorite players of all time. He needs to accept the second team leader/bench scorer role.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

how the fuck does cleveland give verejao 7 mil a year?

terrible.

Snuggles the DESTROYER

Post by Snuggles the DESTROYER »

Seeing Rasheed sign to this contender, McDyess sign with another contender, Joe Smith become a name worhty acquisition, Mikki Moore even being mentioned....

It makes me think:

"Man, Shareef Abdur Raheem is probably sitting in a four cornered room, staring at candles."

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

I can't imagine Jerry Sloan having enough patience to deal with Tyrus Thomas to make the Boozer to Chicago trade a reality.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

Post by Gregg Popabitch1 »

Sankofa wrote:I can't imagine Jerry Sloan having enough patience to deal with Tyrus Thomas to make the Boozer to Chicago trade a reality.
lmao, thats what i'm thinking

Tired & Broke

Post by Tired & Broke »

Bass is gone be in Orlando next season, big pick up for The depleted Magic

http://www.freep.com/article/20090710/S ... ot-Pistons
LAS VEGAS -- The Detroit Pistons have to look elsewhere to address their glaring need for size.
Advertisement

Mavericks free agent Brandon Bass agreed to a four-year deal with the Orlando Magic today. The deal is reportedly worth $18 million over four years.

The Pistons had been in the running for the 6-foot-8 power forward, but Bassג€™ agent, Tony Dutt, said playing time was the issue.

ג€œAt the end of the day, itג€™s a great opportunity for him to start,ג€ Dutt said. ג€œI have great respect for Joe (Dumars), and he really worked hard on it. Itג€™s just a great opportunity for (Bass).ג€

A starting role was something the Pistons couldnג€™t offer after signing power forward Charlie Villanueva earlier this week.

As it stands, the Pistons only have three bigs (Villanueva, Kwame Brown and Jason Maxiell) on the roster. They're looking to add at least one more before the season.

The free-agent pickings are slim, but several media outlets have reported that the Pistons are interested in Celtics power forward Glen (Big Baby) Davis. Jazz power forward Paul Millsap is still on the market as well. But both are restricted free agents, meaning their teams can match any offer.

Trade? The Rip Hamilton-to-the-Jazz-for-power-forward-Carlos Boozer rumor refuses to die, but everybody saw the reports that the Bulls are making a push for Boozer. And indications are the Pistons are cool on Boozer, given the fact he would potentially be around for one season before hitting the market as an unrestricted free agent next summer.

You might be willing to take that gamble if you are one piece from title contention, but thatג€™s not the case with the Pistons.

There's also the potential for trading Hamilton or Tayshaun Prince for a center like the Clippersג€™ Chris Kaman.

The team also will take a close look during the summer league at 2008 second-round draft pick Trent Plaisted. They really donג€™t have a good feel for his progress, as his European season was cut short by a back injury.

Tariq's Dilemma

Post by Tariq's Dilemma »

I don't get why all these teams are passing on Big Baby, but they are and it makes it a real possiblity that he will come back to the C's, which would be great.

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

did millsap sign the offer sheet to the blazers?

alpha

Post by alpha »

question: sub hedo for bass and air canada, hows that look to you guys? I like it overall, but I think the magic will take a step back slightly. The Celtics, assuming they stay healthy are my east pick.

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

alpha wrote:question: sub hedo for bass and air canada, hows that look to you guys? I like it overall, but I think the magic will take a step back slightly. The Celtics, assuming they stay healthy are my east pick.
Hedo had the ability to make plays for others, which-at his size and position-is a useful asset making for matchup problems. Carter's been specializing in shooting from the outside (guess he's looking to his longevity), but doesn't strike me as someone to initiate the offense. He should be effective on the inside-outside game, providing he finds enough balls to drive once his recovering defender goes for a pump fake. Brandon Bass is a good pickup because he'll absorb some of the physical toll dished out to Howard while mixing it up down low. I know money gets thrown around (no Koncack), but 18 over four seems a bit steep. I see the Magic gaining some scoring and toughness, but losing playmaking. It'll be interesting to see if Jameer's up to the task of filling in the gaps left by Hedo's departure.

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

Magic will run a more traditional lineup which will help Cleveland but make them a much better rebounding team

Nelson/Johnson
Carter/Pietrus/JJ
Lewis/Pietrus
Bass/Lewis
Howard

pretty decent rotation and Lewis will take the Turk role from last year at SF
UBM CD COMING SOON

Gregg Popabitch1
Career Leader in LOL's

lewis cant play the turk role of primary/secondary ballhandler play maker. he's not built for that.

vince can do it but not as well as turk did it.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Grant Hill is back with the Suns. As if he's relevant anymore...

PEACE

Snuggles the DESTROYER

peanut butter wrote:Grant Hill is back with the Suns. As if he's relevant anymore...

PEACE
Grant Hill is very popular in PHX right now since he was one of two players that seemed to actually care the entire season.

Bill Walton would have said "Hill is playing with the highest degree of reckless abandon seen by man since Hannibal at the Battle of Trebia."

Of course the biggest problem with the Suns, defense doesn't count, was their lack of outside shooting.

Which they have made no attempt to rectify.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Snuggles the DESTROYER wrote:
peanut butter wrote:Grant Hill is back with the Suns. As if he's relevant anymore...

PEACE
Grant Hill is very popular in PHX right now since he was one of two players that seemed to actually care the entire season.

Bill Walton would have said "Hill is playing with the highest degree of reckless abandon seen by man since Hannibal at the Battle of Trebia."

Of course the biggest problem with the Suns, defense doesn't count, was their lack of outside shooting.

And Grant's sudden decision last year, after being a mediocre to poor 3 point shooter his entire career, to fill the team's need for a marksman did not help anything.

Snuggles the DESTROYER

peanut butter wrote:
Snuggles the DESTROYER wrote:

PEACE

And Grant's sudden decision last year, after being a mediocre to poor 3 point shooter his entire career, to fill the team's need for a marksman did not help anything.
It is one of the under reported aspects of the Suns great training staff. They also employ a hypnotist that makes everyone think they should shoot three pointers.

I guarantee there will come a time, and it will be soon, that Amar'e will pretend he is Rasheed Wallace and let loose from downtown.

djjeffresh

Post by djjeffresh »

i think the artest trade will paradoxically work out poorly for the lakers.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4325791

He had a face-to-face meeting Monday with Houston's Turner and also joined owner Glen Taylor in talks with Rubio's agent, Dan Fegan, as the Wolves attempt to convince Rubio -- whose buyout from Spanish club DJK Joventut is believed to be in the $4 million-to-$5 million range -- that they have no plans to trade him to a more inviting destination and that his long-term future is in Minnesota.
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:20 am EDT
Richard Jefferson gets cold feet, leaves bride at altar

By J.E. Skeets

Richard Jefferson, who was traded in June from the Bucks to the Spurs, got cold feet, dumped his stunning fianc

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

spanish outlets report rubio is dropping his lawsuit against DKV Joventut. This means that they will be able to negotiate a buyout. So all you rabid rubio addicts will likely see him play this year. the exact same thing i have been saying since draft night.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Tariq's Dilemma wrote:I don't get why all these teams are passing on Big Baby, but they are and it makes it a real possiblity that he will come back to the C's, which would be great.
I hope he comes back.. but reason most teams probaly passing on him is cause no one knows what type of player hes going to be.. finesse? power?.. I still think too sloppy for finesse, and not aggressive enough for power. Hope we get Powe back for minimum and get to keep baby as well.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

keL wrote:spanish outlets report rubio is dropping his lawsuit against DKV Joventut. This means that they will be able to negotiate a buyout. So all you rabid rubio addicts will likely see him play this year. the exact same thing i have been saying since draft night.
Let it go man, just let it go.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

VideoKilledThe wrote:
keL wrote:spanish outlets report rubio is dropping his lawsuit against DKV Joventut. This means that they will be able to negotiate a buyout. So all you rabid rubio addicts will likely see him play this year. the exact same thing i have been saying since draft night.
Let it go man, just let it go.

rubio takes it to half court, he jukes tony parker out of his shoes, spins to the key, OMG no look behind the back allyoop to LOVE for dunk

:gyeah:

an-also

Post by an-also »

Derozan >>>>> your fav rookie
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rn86rlXJowg&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rn86rlXJowg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Big Breeze

Post by Big Breeze »

^ AIR ACME

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

earl watson was waived. i always thought would be a nice piece coming off the bench

an-also

Post by an-also »

Indys going to sign watson

Sankofa

Post by Sankofa »

Flynn's looking pretty damn good so far. Looks like he'll be able to run the point and put points on the board just fine.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

apparently i shouldn't be so quick to judge on tyler yet
Friday, July 17, 2009
Top rookie performers in summer league
By David Thorpe
Scouts Inc.

Through 10 days, three gyms and 44 games in the NBA's Orlando and Las Vegas summer leagues, here are the 10 best rookie performers I've seen, and a few who could end up cracking this group before the Vegas league finishes Sunday.
This listing is based only on what I've seen in the two leagues; it is not the "Rookie of the Year" standings but rather my impressions from the past two weeks.
The full offseason rookie rankings are coming soon.
Top 10

1. Blake Griffin, Clippers
There is nothing left for Griffin to prove this summer. He is the most talented rookie and he plays the hardest, too; an exceptional combination. Veterans around the league should take note: This is not your typical rookie, and he'll provide them with bruises and posterizing moments to prove it.
2. James Harden, Thunder
He plays like a 10-year vet -- nothing is rushed or forced -- and he was the best passer on the floor every time he suited up. Factor in his ability to shoot, score and make plays on both sides of the ball, and the case can be made that he should have gone No. 2 overall in the draft.
3. Tyreke Evans, Kings
Can he crush opponents as a scorer? Yes. Is he a triple-double threat? Yes. Will he have a chance to break some kind of rookie free throws-per-game record? Perhaps. Sure, Evans has a lot to learn about playing the point guard position, but with his enormous talent, he's starting with very high expectations.
4. Tyler Hansbrough, Pacers
He was not the most efficient scorer in Orlando, but those of us who watched him know just how effective he was for the Pacers. His energy not only hurt his opponents, but inspired his teammates.
5. DeMar DeRozan, Raptors
Smooth and patient, with explosiveness and a sweet jumper. I love how DeRozan rarely dribbled himself into trouble and how crafty he proved to be around the hoop. And he rebounded and defended, too. He looks like he'll be able to contribute earlier than expected.
6. Toney Douglas, Knicks
I've tried to avoid citing statistics in summer league because I'm not sure they are that accurate, but I've witnessed Douglas' masterful execution of the Knicks' offense: 22 assists to just two turnovers so far. He has also shown the defensive chops everyone talked about before the draft.
7. DaJuan Summers, Pistons
He is sneaky good and played intelligently all week. He was outstanding in three of his four games in Vegas, where he wasn't focused just on scoring.
8. Austin Daye, Pistons
It's fair to suggest that Joe Dumars had an excellent draft. Daye is talented, as everyone knew, but he's also tougher than he looks. His biggest problem -- turnovers -- is mostly a result of his lack of strength. But when he gets bigger, watch out.
9. Darren Collison, Hornets
He easily could have been in the top six of this list. I love how he controlled his team and created all sorts of scoring opportunities for his teammates. He also played really well with Marcus Thornton -- the two rooks have potential as a backcourt tandem off the bench this season.
10. Jodie Meeks, Bucks
Meeks earned bucket after bucket this week, from near and far. He has a powerful body and a pure shooter's stroke. And he plays with supreme confidence.
Honorable mentions

DeJuan Blair, Spurs
Blair was a beast among the rookies, as expected. He manhandled people inside and finished shots with ease.
Stephen Curry, Warriors
Yes, he shot poorly and had terrible shot selection. But he found other ways to contribute (defense, rebounding and passing), and never lost his confidence.
Chase Budinger, Rockets
He was the hottest shooter in Vegas, from inside and outside the arc. If he learns to rebound and make plays on defense, he has a chance to be the steal of the draft.
Marcus Thornton, Hornets
Thornton needs lots of shots to score, but he is an excellent basketball player with supreme confidence. On both sides of the ball.
David Thorpe is an NBA analyst for Scouts Inc. and the executive director of the Pro Training Center in Clearwater, Fla., where he oversees the player development program for more than 40 NBA, European League and D-League players. Those players include Kevin Martin, Rob Kurz, Luol Deng, Courtney Lee and Tyrus Thomas. To e-mail him, click here.
Nets 2022