The Official Boxing Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

dubs

Post by dubs »

http://m.deadspin.com/5931226/was-this- ... atch-fixed

[quote] Knockdowns are exceedingly rare in Olympic boxing. Japan's Satoshi Shimizu knocked down Azerbaijan's Magomed Abdulhamidov
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

dubs

Post by dubs »

[quote="dubs"]http://m.deadspin.com/5931226/was-this- ... atch-fixed

[quote] Knockdowns are exceedingly rare in Olympic boxing. Japan's Satoshi Shimizu knocked down Azerbaijan's Magomed Abdulhamidov
Employee wrote:dubs being the West Coast's ric, his thug is bonafide and justified.

dubs

Post by dubs »

Reason wrote:my favorite theory is that bob arum set it all up which would explain his comments which were so extreme and passionate to cover up any guilt

just a conspiracy theory but would be pretty sick by arum. manny's schedule was set = he was fighting on the day of what is now the rematch with bradley, manny losing ensures that the rematch is so much more profitable for everyone
I just came across this on youtube.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/jeY11OmJrQ0?ve ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/jeY11OmJrQ0?version=3&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Versive

Re: 2011 Official Boxing Thread

Post by Versive »

Predictions for Ward/Dawson and Martinez/Chavez Jr?

Req

Post by Req »

JCCjr and Canelo are fighting same night on diff cards :bunk:

might go with watching Canelo actually...
F.U. MOOLAH

Versive

Post by Versive »

Really? I think Martinez Chavez is going to be much more competitive. Unless Martinez just decimates him early like he did with Williams. He's not getting any younger though and Chavez has been looking better and better with each fight, and that's against increasingly better opponents as well.

On the other hand , Lopez can scrap but I'm not sure he's in Canelo's league. After all, it was only a matter of time before somebody ended Ortiz's career. Dude never really had his heart in the sport. I would like to see Canelo get beat though.

dubs

Post by dubs »

Versive wrote: I would like to see Canelo get beat though.

Blasphemy.

Versive

Post by Versive »

dubs wrote:
Versive wrote: I would like to see Canelo get beat though.

Blasphemy.
:lol: What can I say? Everybody loves an upset.

dubs

Post by dubs »

Canelo is my newest favorite boxer.

I envision him as the next p4p king.

Req

Post by Req »

no idea why I thought Canelo was fighting tonight, it's next week

Dawson put on a good show as usual.
F.U. MOOLAH

drobizhek

Post by drobizhek »

So 50 left Floyd and is now starting a joint venture with Manny.
TMT Promotions is dead. But 50 Cent is apparently not out of boxing just yet.

50 Cent and Manny Pacquiao are reportedly teaming up on a boxing promotional venture, according to Pacquiao adviser Michael Koncz
http://www.badlefthook.com/2012/9/13/33 ... oxing-news

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Pac vs. Marquez.. kills all those dumb rumors that Arum set up last fight for a rematch.

dubs

Post by dubs »

naturalborn103 wrote:Pac vs. Marquez.. kills all those dumb rumors that Arum set up last fight for a rematch.
really?

who's to say they dont rematch after this fight?

whatever the case, you're gonna have crazy rumors when the biggest fight in a while looked
very fishy to say the least.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I predict Martinez and Alvarez both win by KO tomorrow night.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

dubs wrote:
naturalborn103 wrote:Pac vs. Marquez.. kills all those dumb rumors that Arum set up last fight for a rematch.
really?

who's to say they dont rematch after this fight?

whatever the case, you're gonna have crazy rumors when the biggest fight in a while looked
very fishy to say the least.
Someone got paid, but I do not think Arum did it. At least for the sake of getting a bad rematch between Pav vs. Bradley.

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

anyone have the hbo stream with the american broadcasters?

mud

Post by mud »

"Catch me in the corner not speaking"

bbatson1

Post by bbatson1 »

good looking mud. I just saw that. Fight was good. Sergio schooled Chavez like he was a sparring partner. That last round really made it seem like a great fight. It was a fun fight.

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Re:

Post by Reason »

dubs wrote:http://m.deadspin.com/5931226/was-this- ... atch-fixed
Knockdowns are exceedingly rare in Olympic boxing. Japan's Satoshi Shimizu knocked down Azerbaijan's Magomed Abdulhamidov

missed this

fuck that ref with a thousand cocks
Nets 2022

atlantiswasreal

Post by atlantiswasreal »

just got done watching 11 fights. what a great weekend of boxing. i would definitely recommend these fights: beltran/martinez and the maidana/karass fights. The maidana fight was my fav. Maidana was on some next level boxing shit. I'm not sure how many times you're going to see him out jab an opponent. Paulie on the commentary was getting a kick out of what he was doing.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Yeah, those were definitely the best 2 in a great weekend of boxing.

Chavez constructed a new narrative with his 12th round performance, but I'm not sure he'll fair any better than Williams did when the inevitable rematch occurs. Kid's got heart but he racka da disciprine. I think that really showed in his inability to keep pace with Sergio and/or cut the ring off effectively.

AXEWOUNDFISTER
OG FISTOLA

Post by AXEWOUNDFISTER »

dude was boxing with arms down as guard lol damm.
i knew it would turn out this way. chavez just couldn't find his range. dude is a close range boxer.

atlantiswasreal

i wonder how much chavez weighed fight night. he refused to be weighed by hbo. hbo commentators speculated he was around 185. at that weight, it's no wonder he didn't get dropped a few times. sergio cracked him with one of those paul williams 'lights out' left overhand punches at the very end of one round, i forget which one. i was shocked he didn't go down but he was out of it for a few seconds. if he would have jabbed as he was moving into sergio, instead of just tucking his arms to his sides and hunching over, i could easily see him doing way better - maybe even beat sergio. he's just too big. i'm assuming him also going in at 158 instead of 160 on the dot hurt him too since he was was already weight drained. if he would have had just a little bit more energy, sergio would have been ko'ed in that 12th round for sure.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I think they said 190!

Let's talk Canelo. I'm really eager to see him get tested. Lopez stood no chance and looked like he probably had severe internal bleeding by the time the fight was stopped. No surprise there, and I don't think the outcome would've been much different had Ortiz been in with him.

He wants a shot at Mayweather and of course that's where the money is, but his build makes me think he's better suited to compete at the middle-weight level. We shall see.

atlantiswasreal

there's soooo many fights that can be made at 154/160. i doubt mayweather takes a risk and gets in there with him since canelo is a true jr. middleweight. and i think cotto is more of a jacked up welter. he's not quite a welter but he's defintiely not a true 154lb'er. he's somewhere in between. i don't get why people are so high on cotto at 154. same goes for mayweather. he's a bit undersized for a true jr. middleweight. this fight reminded me a lot of when marquez moved up to fight mayweather. his body hadn't acclimated to that weight and he was essentially mostly flab like lopez was in this match. very soft. marquez was a lot more successful against paq at a higher weight cause he took his time, put on the weight properly and actually had fights at the weight before taking on paq. look what a proper/unrushed move to a weight class can do to your performance. lopez was essentially a jacked up 145lb'er. i say 145 cause they were planning on moving him up from jr. welter to welter. but he hadn't even established himself as a true welterweight. he was looking soft in that ortiz match too. i know he beat ortiz but it was just one fight.

but canelo could fight any one of these guys and i'd be happy: trout, kirkland, molina, or lara. even a martirosyan or k-9 fight would be ok. just want to see him fight a legitimate established 154 lb'er. someone that has several fights at that weight class. i don't want to see him fight anymore opponents that are moving up/coming down in weight.

Versive

Post by Versive »

Same here. I agree that his prospects of ever fighting Mayweather are not so good. I expect that rather than come down in weight to try and get in with a semi-popular welterweight, he'll take on one or two of the jr. middleweights you mentioned before making a move to middleweight, where he might be able to bank a little better.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

JCC Jr. tested positive for weed.

atlantiswasreal

hasn't been confirmed yet or made official. but if it's true, he could lose his purse. why is weed not allowed? i feel like it's testing positive for alcohol.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

It's a stupid rule, but it's a rule. Same thing happened with Nick Diaz in the UFC.

Versive

Post by Versive »

I highly doubt he'll lose his purse.