2011 NFL Draft/Offseason Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

an-also

Post by an-also »

Maclin HIV. Is this confirmed or just rumors?

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

an-also wrote:Maclin HIV. Is this confirmed or just rumors?
Rumors, and silly rumors at that.

an-also

Post by an-also »

capable_keL wrote:the road to the super bowl goes thru philly
Philly is getting all the hype but the saints made some pretty pretty good under the radar moves.

Joe Pesci

Post by Joe Pesci »

Not a good August for the New York Football Giants

alpha

Post by alpha »

an-also wrote:
capable_keL wrote:the road to the super bowl goes thru philly
Philly is getting all the hype but the saints made some pretty pretty good under the radar moves.
i'd imagine it'd be tough for them to lose ALL their Rb's two years in a row.
1. thomas
2. ingram
3. ivory
right?
thats pretty good. plus graham the te has another year under his belt. kid is gonna beast sooner or later, imo.

elohim

Post by elohim »

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... ent_stream
Childress says Moss ג€œwalked in the locker room and vomited on itג€

Brad Childress has one big regret about the 2010 season, his last as head coach of the Vikings. But it's not the one that likely comes to everyone's mind first.

Roaming the hallways of the NFL.com and NFL Network offices in Culver City, Calif., on Wednesday, Childress opened up about his unceremonious departure from Minnesota last November.

The Vikings decided to fire Childress 10 games into the season for many reasons. Their 3-7 record, for one. Their embarrassing 31-3 loss at home to the Packers in Week 11, another. But perhaps the biggest reason was Childress' odd jettisoning of Randy Moss only four weeks after the team traded for him -- without telling owner Zygi Wilf first.

"I should have gone up the chain," Childress admits now.

Childress said he had no such regrets about bringing the other big Vikings headliner, Brett Favre, back for another season. The courting of Favre last August brought vitriol from some corners because of his age (40) and the distraction he created by missing minicamp. But the Vikings were fresh off an NFC Championship Game appearance in 2009 and Favre was the man who took them there. Childress said it was a no-brainer to chase Favre rather than go into 2010 with Tarvaris Jackson at quarterback.

"[Favre] had his best season ever his first year (in Minnesota)," Childress said of Favre's 33-TD, seven-INT campaign. "Could you do more with Brett Favre? Absolutely you could."

It's easy to criticize in hindsight, after Favre stumbled through a 24-turnover, injury-marred campaign.

"We made a conscious effort to bring everybody back," Childress said. "What did we get for it? I got fired, and [Favre] got hurt. Did I feel like he was as sharp as he could've been? No."

As for the Moss fiasco, Childress said he wanted to acquire a player who would be a difference-maker for the Vikings after they got off to a disappointing 1-2 start. They needed a player who could stretch the field while Sidney Rice recuperated from an injury.

Enter Randy Moss. He made a difference all right, unfortunately tipping the needle in the wrong direction.

"He called me and said, 'I can't wait, I can't wait. I feel like I'm coming home again,'" Childress recalls.

Despite Moss' reputation for loafing and being a distraction, Childress felt Moss would be more mature with 12 seasons under his belt. He thought Moss would not be a distraction in the locker room.

Uh, not so much.

"We had good guys, by and large," Childress said, "[but Moss] walked in the locker room and vomited on it."

Childress had tried to develop a better locker room since becoming the head coach in 2005. He had inherited a team coming off the "Love Boat" scandal and a quarterback (Daunte Culpepper) with a bad knee and not the best work habits.

By 2010, Childress felt he had righted the Vikings ship in the character department and could afford to take on Moss. But instead of augmenting that veteran leadership with another quality veteran, the Vikings got a 1-3 record, 13 receptions, and at least as many headaches from Moss' tenure.

Was he the perfect coach? No. But Childress is a smart guy who started his career with a tiny stipend to assist Gary Moeller at Illinois. That was 1979. His first job in the NFL was 26 years ago in Indianapolis with Rod Dowhower. Basically, he's a football lifer.

"Coaching is what I do," he says.

And he's had much success at it, despite being vilified since Leslie Frazier took over in Minneapolis. People forget how sought after he was while being a part of an Eagles staff that went to four straight NFC Championship Games. Charley Casserly in Houston called him, Ted Thompson in Green Bay called him, and of course, so did the Vikings. Remember, the failure in Minnesota wasn't solely his fault. He did what so many coaches do tactically, and got a lot further than many doing it.

That may be all he needs to answer for.

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

I took that headline literally and actually thought Randy Moss made himself puke in the locker room to show his disgust for Childress.