Three things you were wrong about

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

1. I thought Tiger would rapidly recover from his family drama and get right back on course to pursue Jack's record. He definitely didn't bounce back in any kind of timely fashion, and as a result its looking increasingly less likely that he'll ever win as many majors as the Golden Bear.

2. I thought Dirk would go on to join the ranks of Barkley, Ewing, Stockton and Malone as Hall of Fame NBA players who retired before winning a title, due to the dominance of a certain superstar (Jordan/ Hakeem/ Kobe/ Bron).

3. I thought Alfonso Soriano would be the next great Yankee. I figured he would play his entire career in New York, wait in the wings for Jeter to pass him the baton, lead the team and become the city's darling, then go on to get a sculpture of his bust placed out next to Yogi Berra.

Bonus: I thought Mark Mulder would have the best career of the A's 3 Aces (him, Zito & Hudson) in the early 2000s.

PEACE

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

PopeyeJones wrote: 3. I severely underestimated how many NFL fans with side with the owners during the lockout. That shit has been shocking to me. I totally misread that.
Really? If anything surprised me is how many have sided with the players this go around or at least blame the owners more.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

ThaJim2 wrote:
PopeyeJones wrote: 3. I severely underestimated how many NFL fans with side with the owners during the lockout. That shit has been shocking to me. I totally misread that.
Really? If anything surprised me is how many have sided with the players this go around or at least blame the owners more.
Yeah, I don't see this at all either.

If anything, because of the recession, I see more people are rallying against big business and owners then they would against employees.

an-also

Post by an-also »

I'm not on either side. I could give a fuck who gets the better end of the deal. I just want to see football.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:
ThaJim2 wrote:
Yeah, I don't see this at all either.

If anything, because of the recession, I see more people are rallying against big business and owners then they would against employees.
The whole history of sports labor conflict has been the fans siding with the owners. Add in the huge chunk of fans that are out and out Bull Conner racists that resent that young black males make more than slave wages.

Gregg Popabitch

i was agreeing with you and then giving reasoning to support the case.

i can see how you could make that error.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Gregg Popabitch wrote:i was agreeing with you and then giving reasoning to support the case.

i can see how you could make that error.
Shit I read that wrong sorry about that. I agree with what you actually said.

Gregg Popabitch

No need for apologies, man. i can see how a part of my statement can be taken both ways.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

^^^ agreed with Jim about why it's happening, maybe I'm just dumb enough to keep letting myself get surprised over and over again. Given the particulars of the case, I guess I just find the extent to which a gang of people are eager to align with the owners to be depressing/troubling. Fuck it, I guess I get it. I just don't really want to.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

^Its the American Lotto problem everyone thinks they are going to be rich so they support the rich or they believe they would "play a kids game for free" which of course is bullshit when someone else is making billions on your labor.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

ThaJim2 wrote:^Its the American Lotto problem everyone thinks they are going to be rich so they support the rich or they believe they would "play a kids game for free" which of course is bullshit when someone else is making billions on your labor.
Yeah, that coupled with some people somehow convincing themselves that NFL owners have become NFL owners because of their personal business acumen and players have become players because of their "natural talent." It's fucking hogwash on both counts, but I think a lot of people use these rubrics when trying to parse out how much they think different parties "deserve."

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

^Tell me about that last one. The assholes on the college boards don't seem to grasp the amount of hours these kids officially practice and the even more hours of unofficial practice they put in never mind the extra tutoring many need to just to make grades.

ric

Post by ric »

thread resurrect. focus on last/this season

1 above posts remind me how wrong i was that the lockout would last well into the season
2 thought chargers were gonna ball. guess not.
3 thought UW d was going to be decent. didnt really happen. problems all over the field. better than one year previous, though.

Gregg Popabitch

apparently i thought marcus williams was going to be better than deron williams.

alpha

Post by alpha »

can we do a 2012 re-boot of this thread in a new thread?
or is that not needed?

just in case,

1. thought the 9ers would be 8-8, seeing how first year coaches rarely make that much of an impact. its safe to say noone saw it coming.

2. I didn't see this one due to being a homer.. The Giants being almost the worst team in the league in hitting. I was hoping for average from a lot of guys coming off career/above average years.

3. last one, I guess an unintended positive from the lockout. Seems like there's one game on at least every night. With several nights featuring 2-3 games. I grew up on nba playoff games in the early/mid 90's and haven't been as high on the NBA since, till now. ***minus the we believe era, of course.