2014 Fantasy Football Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

unclebengi

Re: 2014 Fantasy Football Thread

Post by unclebengi »

First week is always so eye opening. Yeah, jury is still on on Cameron this year, luckily I got Ertz as a backup in the league I took Cameron. I think Brady will be ok, the way the Patriots D got ran over is the bigger surprise to me. I do think Brady will benefit when Dobson comes back though, he's their one true deep threat, without him teams just crowd the middle of the field.

Week 1 couldn't have gone much better for Ertz though, I was worried as shit about my TE's in every league, but not really anymore. I have either Ertz and Pitta on all but one team (have Heath Miller in that one). Ertz looks like a breakout candidate and while the Ravens look terrible overall, Pitta had 15 targets and 10 catches. Pitta might have the highest floor of any TE outside the top 3 and is especially valuable in PPR leagues.

Other things-
-Ben Tate stays hurt & shitty luck for RB's in general- Ellington, Lacy, Stacy, D Martin, B Pierce, & Gerhart all w/ injuries/bad usage signs.
-Rookies- got a good look at Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks and Devonta Freeman and was very impressed with all three. Really wish Freeman didn't have to fight SJax and Jacquizz for playing time, he didn't play much but was a clear difference maker. Didn't really see T West or K Benjamin play except the Benjamin TD, but they look to be players. Carlos Hyde looked good as did the rookie WR's in Jax (Lee & Hurns). Brandin Cooks clearly in the drivers seat for ROY
-I slept on Leveon Bell, Markus Wheaton, & Deandre Hopkins, wish I had some stock in each somewhere.

@ric- I get your reasoning for wanting Bennett, but the problem is that Bennett just isn't that good. He's not going to explode for 1000 yds and 10 TD's this year, Ertz might if/when his talent dictates more playing time. Bennett has a good floor, but no upside as a TE1, we know what he is at this point.

Also- Redskins, Ravens, Cowboys, and Chiefs are worse than we thought. Jags, Dolphins, Vikings, Titans are better than we thought.

ric

Post by ric »

@bengi
last season dude got 750 yds 5 tds with 2nd string qb 1/2 the time im feeling better about this year

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Maybe, but that 2nd string QB certainly didn't play like a 2nd string QB, and now he's a starter. I've never been a big Cutler guy personally and I fully expect him to get hurt again this year. Bennett's not a bad TE and he might improve on those #'s a smidge, but we pretty much know what he is at this point. He's not gonna have 900 yds and 9 TD's out of nowhere. Marshall and Alshon are big receivers who are great red zone threats as well, so he's not even the 1 or 2 option in the red zone like a lot of TE's are for their teams.

He's a theoretically "safe" option at TE, but I'll always take top-end upside over mediocre consistency in fantasy football.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

unclebengi wrote:take top-end upside over mediocre consistency in fantasy football.
How you win in fantasy

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Pick the D I should use this week

Denver (vs KC), St. Louis (@ TB) or San Fran (vs. Chi)

Also, for my flex

Frank Gore, Joique Bell, Justin Forsett or Darren Sproles

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

I'd go Denver on the D and Gore on the flex. I'd usually opt for Joique, but he has a tough matchup with Carolina on the road where as Gore gets the Bears shitty run D at home.

ric

Post by ric »

@bengi
See this is where we just disagree fundamentally about what's going on in Chicago. To me martellus has the chance to bust this year. More so than most of these other up and comers this year. Well see

wheels

Post by wheels »

Yo I had to read that post like 10 times to understand wtf you were talking about. Chance to bust means he has a chance to be useless. I think you mean something else.

And AP is sitting out on Sunday.

I have a team that has AP, Welker, Gordon, and Andre Ellington who hasn't committed any crimes other than having fragile little baby feet.

alpha

Post by alpha »

Picked up asiata in my leagues.

wheels

Post by wheels »

And how do you feel about that

ric

Post by ric »

@wheels
I think I meant to say 'bust out' and writing it on my phone is perilous but either way I'm not really one to adhere to these sort of conventions

alpha

Post by alpha »

wheels wrote:And how do you feel about that
Good enough, someone has to run the ball.

wheels

Post by wheels »

Fair enough. I just don't see myself starting him over some of the guys I drafted for bye weeks.

I was hoping that Mckinnon kid they drafted would get the start but that was probably a longshot.

alpha

Post by alpha »

One of my leagues I'm thin at rb anyway, but mostly picked him up as a defensive roster move.

craig

Post by craig »

I'm tempted to pick up McKinnon. Wasn't he drafted to be the heir apparent? It might take some time but at some point it seems that they will want to figure out if he can play. I think AP might be out for an extended period and Asiata doesn't impress me to much (even though I did pick him up).

wheels

Post by wheels »

The knock on McKinnon is he apparently can't pass block for shit. He might end up starting if/when Asiata shits the bed, so I'd grab him if AP has to sit for anything over 5 games

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Went with Gio over Lacy, hope I didn't goof.

wheels

Post by wheels »

Asiata already paying the bills

wheels

Post by wheels »

JJ Watt now worth a 3rd round pick in IDP leagues

alpha

Post by alpha »

wheels wrote:JJ Watt now worth a 3rd round pick in IDP leagues
:lol: :lol: :lol:

alpha

Post by alpha »

Feeling pretty good about asiata right now

ric

Post by ric »

edit: Nevermind. Picking up lattimore.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Anyone else thinking about sitting Montee Ball (or other Broncos) this week? Obviously the Broncos will play better than they did in the Super Bowl, but I love this spot for Seattle. Off a tough road loss, back at home against a team they should have supreme confidence against. I just don't like the way the Broncos O matches up with the Seahawks D and think the Seahawks will play ball control and limit Ball's opportunities in the run game.

I have Ball in a couple spots and Pierre Thomas, Ellington, Khiry Robinson, and Bradshaw are the options I'm looking at.

On the flipside of this game, I don't own Harvin in any leagues but I'm interested in seeing how Denver will try to defend him. I doubt they'd move Talib into the slot to cover Harvin, but it's worth considering.

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

The league I have him in, I'm starting him along with GIO over Lacy. I think he'll be able to punch one in at the very least.
I wouldn't be surprised if lacy gets concussed again, Lions run d is scary.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

Yeah, decided to keep Ball in there in both spots, benched Lacy for Don Brown

alpha

Post by alpha »

alpha wrote:Feeling pretty good about asiata right now

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

Going into halftime, Ball has -0.10 points. :lol:

ric

Post by ric »

This year there seems to be a huge productivity diffusion ie it is getting harder to pick guys who are going to be statistically productive on a consistent/week to week basis.

unclebengi

Post by unclebengi »

It's been a crazy first few weeks with a lot of high picks just not producing (nevermind the injuries). A lot of the top backs have just had tough matchups though, things should balance out the next few weeks.

ric, your Bennett and Gates TE picks are looking pretty good right now. Doubt Gates can keep it up, but Bennett looks like he's ready to have the big year you were expecting.

I have a hole on a couple squads now because of Pitta.

wheels

Post by wheels »

I think Bennett's game last night was a direct result of BMarsh catching 3 TDs last week. They were doubling Marshall, had somebody on Jeffrey who could handle him, and Bennett was getting a shitty corner or a linebacker. I think he's in for a good year, but outside the top 5. Which is totally fine to own in any size league imo