2010 Motorsports Thread (F1, NASCAR, MotoGP, Indycar, etc.)

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Masked Terror #1

2010 Motorsports Thread (F1, NASCAR, MotoGP, Indycar, etc.)

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

I know there aren't a lot of racing fans here, but I figured there might be enough of us to keep a combo-thread for all series/motorsports in general alive.

With the 2010 racing season gearing up or just getting underway, seemed like the right time to give it a shot.

There's a lot going on-

First timers Action Express won the 24 Hours of Daytona to officially kick off the racing year.

F1 has a bunch of new teams, including a US one, and a bunch of new rules. Teams are unveiling their cars and testing is underway in anticipation of the start of the season in Bahrain next month.

Jimmie Johnson has his own HBO 24/7 show and it's actually pretty good.

Danica distinguished herself in her stockcar debut in the ARCA series kickoff at Daytona yesterday.

Harvick won a highly competitive Budweiser Shootout, his second in a row and seventh overall. Daytona 500 and the start of the real NASCAR season is in a week and a lot of cars are looking fast.

MotoGp tested in Sepang last week and it looks like this might be a highly competitive year. Rossi was dominant as ever, but Lorenzo, Edwards, Pedrosa, Stoner and Spies were looking really good.

Indycar kicks off their season with their first ever race in Brazil next month. Will the Ganassi and Penske teams continue their domination, or does anyone else have a legit shot this season? I think Andretti might have a return to form in 2010. We'll see.

Anyway, if any or all of the above made sense to you, this is your thread. If it's motor powered, burns fuel and ends in a checkered flag, post about it here.

I follow pretty much all of it to one degree or another, so you're guaranteed to get at least one response.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

so whats going to happen to the motogp thread?

do we lock it and just use this one?

whats the dilly yo?

Masked Terror #1

Let's use this one. If we wind up only talking about MotoGP in here, I'll edit the subject line at some point.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

you boys behave in here. i dont want anyone yelling out the n word
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

Masked Terror #1

Lewis Hamilton will be shown the utmost respect in this thread.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

ok cool

Masked Terror #1

Doesn't sound good for USF1.
F1: FIA Confirms Teams May Sit Out Three Races
Written by: SPEED Staff / GMM
Date: 02/09/2010 - 12:23 PM

FIA president Jean Todt has confirmed reports that F1 teams may sit out three Grands Prix in 2010 without penalty.

Amid speculation that some of the sportג€™s four new teams are struggling to get up and running ahead of next monthג€™s Bahrain season opener, Bernie Ecclestone hinted at the measure to a British newspaper last weekend.

And he is quoted as saying by Franceג€™s Auto Hebdo that Campos and USF1 are ג€œasking to miss the first three racesג€.

ג€œIn the last World Council the opportunity for a team to not participate in three rounds of the championship, also not consecutively, was granted,ג€ Todt is quoted as saying by Italyג€™s La Gazzetta dello Sport.

It is believed, however, that the new entrant funding promised by Ecclestone may be jeopardized if teams do skip races.

Ecclestone is pushing hard for the Serbian hopeful Stefan GP to be first in queue to race this year should one of the confirmed teams collapse.

But Todt clarified: ג€œIf a team drops out of the championship, the insertion of a new team is not automatic.

ג€œIt is always up to the FIA to decide whether someone is eligible or not,ג€ he added.

BRAZ

Post by BRAZ »

i like watching nascar when im hungover in hi def.
MT i was watching some crazy motorcycle race a couple weeks ago..i dont think it was moto gp but maybe it was.
It was on a road course in ireland i think....any idea what it was

Masked Terror #1

Yeah, racing of all kinds really benefits from HD.

I used to just throw NASCAR on in the background to help satisfy my racing fix when no other racing was on and slowly I wound up becoming a fan. The fact the the Daytona 500 has so much build up to it and starts a month before any of the other series can really draw you in.

Danica's Nationwide Series debut at Daytona this weekend should be interesting.

Are you sure it was Ireland? The Isle of Man TT is a crazy, once a year motorcycle time trial that takes place over a 30-some mile public road course. Really cool, historic event. I know one of the HD theater channels keeps their coverage of it in fairly regular rotation.

manwhore

Post by manwhore »

it would have to be a replay of some isle of man tt race for sure.

watching that in high def and in the cockpit view scares the freakin shit out of me btw.

Masked Terror #1

One of the proposals for the new IndyCar chassis.

Pretty fucking weird looking, but allegedly about half the price/weight, many fewer parts to burn out/replace, more fuel efficient, etc.

Will probably never see the light of day. Initial reaction to the looks has been extremely negative.

Masked Terror #1

Masked Terror #1 wrote:Doesn't sound good for USF1.
F1: FIA Confirms Teams May Sit Out Three Races
Written by: SPEED Staff / GMM
Date: 02/09/2010 - 12:23 PM

FIA president Jean Todt has confirmed reports that F1 teams may sit out three Grands Prix in 2010 without penalty.

Amid speculation that some of the sportג€™s four new teams are struggling to get up and running ahead of next monthג€™s Bahrain season opener, Bernie Ecclestone hinted at the measure to a British newspaper last weekend.

And he is quoted as saying by Franceג€™s Auto Hebdo that Campos and USF1 are ג€œasking to miss the first three racesג€.

ג€œIn the last World Council the opportunity for a team to not participate in three rounds of the championship, also not consecutively, was granted,ג€ Todt is quoted as saying by Italyג€™s La Gazzetta dello Sport.

It is believed, however, that the new entrant funding promised by Ecclestone may be jeopardized if teams do skip races.

Ecclestone is pushing hard for the Serbian hopeful Stefan GP to be first in queue to race this year should one of the confirmed teams collapse.

But Todt clarified: ג€œIf a team drops out of the championship, the insertion of a new team is not automatic.

ג€œIt is always up to the FIA to decide whether someone is eligible or not,ג€ he added.
F1 now saying teams can't miss races. WTF?

http://formula-one.speedtv.com/article/ ... iss-races/

Boris.

Post by Boris. »

what do you think about Schumacher returning this year? i'm not sure it's a good move for him since he is a legend... might go in the lines of jordan at the wizards.
If you can't walk the walk, don't talk the talk.

Masked Terror #1

Yeah, it's hard to see what he really has to gain from it, he's already considered one of the greatest ever, so there's really only a chance to tarnish his legacy.

It's also always weird when someone so strongly associated with one team (Ferrari) comes back to compete for another one (Mercedes), although in a way I guess it's fitting that a German driver drive for a German mark.

Putting all that aside, I get it. You become a race driver because you love driving and competing. Especially if you're fucking incredible at it, why wouldn't you want to do it as long as you can?

Plus, I think people will be tuning in to see how he does and that's good for F1.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Boris. wrote:what do you think about Schumacher returning this year? i'm not sure it's a good move for him since he is a legend... might go in the lines of jordan at the wizards.
God will be fine. It has only been two seasons he has not raced in F1 but he still was racing in other forms and testing in F1 during that time plus I am sure he had some major time behind the sim before the injury ended his comeback last season. In his last season he still had championship winning pace and his testing pace has been good also.

For the season I see this being a 4 team race with about 5 drivers going for championship. Ferrari, Merc, McLaren, and Red Bull. I am not buying into Saber. USGP will be the backmarkers but without the charisma of a Super Aguri. The Drivers I see with legit chances of a championship are Fred, the God Schumacher, Hamilton, Massa and Vettel. Button deserved the championship last year but he is not in the class of the above drivers.

Masked Terror #1

I'll be impressed if USF1 even makes the grid at Bahrain.

Masked Terror #1

Danica starting her Nationwide Series debut at Daytona right now. Not a fanboy, but it should be interesting. I think making it through the whole race will be an accomplishment for her, a top 10 finish would be a triumph.

Edit- Better luck next time.

Good illustration of how big a role driver skill/experience plays. She was in an equally good car with the Cup guys and they ran up front all day and she could barely keep up with the pack.

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Masked Terror #1 wrote:I'll be impressed if USF1 even makes the grid at Bahrain.
USF1 will not be making it on the grid in the least shocking news of the year.

Masked Terror #1

Yeah, saw that they completely bailed. Hard to see that coming.

Apparently they tried to hold a slot for next year by paying some huge bond, but FIA wasn't having it.

Stefan tried to snatch their spot, but apparently that got shut down too.

Guess we're looking at a 24 car grid.

Peep the final results from winter testing-

1. Lewis Hamilton Vodafone McLaren Mercedes 1:20.472 134
2. Mark Webber Red Bull 1:20.496 61
3. Felipe Massa Ferrari 1:20.539 114
4. Adrian Sutil Force India 1:20.611 100
5. Sebastian Vettel Red Bull 1:20.667 76
6. Michael Schumacher Mercedes 1:20.745 123
7. Rubens Barrichello Williams 1:20.870 84
8. Kamui Kobayashi BMW Sauber 1:20.911 67
9. Sebastien Buemi Toro Rosso 1:22.135 88
10. Robert Kubica Renault 1:23.175 107
11. Heikki Kovalainen Lotus 1:25.251 65
12. Lucas Di Grassi Virgin Racing 1:26.160 49

Top eight cars within half a second of each other. The rest completely off the pace.

For the frontrunners, driver skill should make all the difference. Should be interesting.

ADR

Post by ADR »

The series opener for WSBK this past weekend was entertaining as shit.

Second race had a pack of 5 fighting for the front the entire time. A photo finish in the first race and Carlos Checa coming from behind in the second made for great watching.

Masked Terror #1

Nice. I've never really followed WSBK, just MotoGP.

Plan on checking it out this year. I have this past week's races on DVR, need to get around to checking them out.

ADR

Post by ADR »

Shit, my bad for spoiling it then.

Check this blog, looks like it'll have some good content once the seasons are in full swing,

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/motorspor ... ny-carter/

Masked Terror #1

No worries. Like I said, I'm just dabbling in it now. Trying to fill the void until MotoGP starts. If I become a real fan, I'll be sure to watch in a more timely fashion.

Masked Terror #1

Just watched the WSBK races. Holy shit, that second race was incredible. What a ride by Checa! Really insane. One of the best motorcycle races I've seen in a long time.

Fuck, guess I'm following WSBK this season. I might have to give up sleeping to accommodate one more racing series.

Going to the Cup race at Atlanta this weekend. Psyched for that.

Masked Terror #1

NASCAR race in Atlanta was really insane and awesome today.

Super cool to be there. Was my first time at that track, but I'll be back.

Masked Terror #1

Ferrari comes back strong and Penske is as competitive as ever as F1 and Indycar seasons kick off.

Race season is in full swing, just waiting for MotoGP to jon the party next month.

ADR

Post by ADR »

The Hunter-Reay / Briscoe / Will Power dynamic near the end of the IndyCar race was good stuff.

Moraes and Marco Andretti can't seem to stay away from each other. One of the few other IndyCar races i've seen was last year's Indy 500 when the two of them smacked into the wall.

Masked Terror #1

Yeah, seeing an Andretti driver run up front all day was reassuring. Gives me hope that we may see someone occasionally challenge Ganassi and Penske's dominance this year.

After all the drama with qualifying, the first lap wreck and the rain, things actually settled down into a pretty good race.

Yeah, it is a weird coincidence about Marco and Moraes. Moraes looked pretty good on ovals at the end of last year. Time will tell if that was just a fluke or not. At least Marco didn't really bitch about it. Can't really blame someone for losing it towards the back of the back going into turn 1 with zero visibility.

ADR

Post by ADR »

Watched the latest IndyCar race in Hi-Def. I didn't know that life could be this good.

Masked Terror #1

Yeah, Indycar's been pretty strong this season. First two races were really good, even if the Penske victories were hardly a surprise.

Looking forward to them finally hitting an oval at Kansas. Can't fucking wait to go to Indy for the 500.

In fact, most of the racing series are off to a good start. NASCAR has had some good, competitive races and while Bahrain was a snooze, the Australian GP was one of the better F1 races I've seen in a while.

Racing benefits from HD a ton. A huge part of the appeal is visual - cars flying around a monster track at 200mph just looks cool - so being able to see it bigger and more clearly makes all the difference.

Apparently MotoGP coverage is going to be all HD this year too, which would be amazing. Will see if that actually translates to Speed channel's tape delayed showings.