2010 Winter Olympics

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

2010 Winter Olympics

Post by capable_keL »

The Games

Biathlon
Combined Downhill
Cross Country
Downhill
Freestyle Aerials
Freestyle Moguls
Giant Slalom
Nordic Combined
Slalom
Snowboarding
Ski Jumping
Super-G
Bobsleigh
Luge
Skeleton
Curling
Figure Skating
Ice Dancing
Ice Hockey
Speed Skating
Short Track
Last edited by capable_keL on Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

wheels

Post by wheels »

Kinda bummed about Lindsey Vonn

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

wheels wrote:Kinda bummed about Lindsey Vonn
me too. she was a lock for the gold medal and has a great ass

an-also

Post by an-also »

Can we just rename this the "olympic hockey thread". Does anyone really care about the other events? :ohcanada:

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

an-also wrote:Can we just rename this the "olympic hockey thread". Does anyone really care about the other events? :ohcanada:
Not gonna lie; I really don't mind drinking beers and watching curling on a cold afternoon.

But yes. Its Hockey and a bunch of other stuff.

Quotashun

Post by Quotashun »

^^:lol: curling? Really? You better be consuming a lot of beers.

I like the ski jumping events, especially that shit where they hang in the air forever. Snowboarding is alright too, although the mild temps and lack of snow might fuck it up a bit.

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Quotashun wrote:^^:lol: curling? Really? You better be consuming a lot of beers.
HURRY HARD!

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

an-also wrote:Can we just rename this the "olympic hockey thread". Does anyone really care about the other events? :ohcanada:
I dont ever sit down and plan on watching olympics, but when you catch the long jumping skiing thing and the tricks its kinda ill..

alpha

Post by alpha »

:cheers:

Masked Terror #1

Re: 2010 Winter Olympics

Post by Masked Terror #1 »

keL wrote:Speed skating
ImageImage

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

i'll watch the figure skating with my girl and make technical comments on the double axels

here is the famous shin in question. hopefully she can heal

USA USA
USA

A__TRAIN

Post by A__TRAIN »

Positive A wrote:
Not gonna lie; I really don't mind drinking beers and watching curling on a cold afternoon.
yea man im getting tickets to that shit. COW BELL!!!!

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

normally she rides skeleton, but i'd let her ride my bone anyday

Moolah
The Rap Yahoo Serious

Post by Moolah »

Quotashun wrote: I like the ski jumping events, especially that shit where they hang in the air forever.
Yeah that shit is cool.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Wake me when it's over.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

I can't wait to watch the hockey games. Should be very entertaining.

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

excited for olympic tights action. maaad homo
i dated a snowboarder for a while and when they have an inkling of going olympic they change into these metabolizing, exercising super freaks that abstain from sex for weeks at a time only to erupt in orgasmic volcanoes of sweat, spittle and schmegma
she was the first girl to ever ask to lick my ass, i obliged, then i became a super fan of olympians

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

deepfriedjellol wrote: she was the first girl to ever ask to lick my ass, i obliged, then i became a super fan of olympians

pretty dope story, yo

deepfriedjellol

Post by deepfriedjellol »

keL wrote:
deepfriedjellol wrote: she was the first girl to ever ask to lick my ass, i obliged, then i became a super fan of olympians

pretty dope story, yo
cedar fence clique reprazent

an-also

Post by an-also »

First accident already. Apparently someone in the louge was on the final turn going 140 Km and flipped off his logue cart into a metal pole. Hopefully he doesn't die. Not sure what his status is right now

H.E.

Post by H.E. »

Totally hyped for the biathlon, cross country and ski jumping events.

Petter Northug >>>>>

:bork:

wheels

Post by wheels »

Shani Davis trains at the same hockey rink we used to play our home games at, so I'm a fan. Shit is boring as hell to watch though

Yohan

Post by Yohan »

Speed skating is hot in the Netherlands.

:bork:-salute

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Yohan wrote:Speed skating is hot in the Netherlands.

:bork:-salute
yeah the Dutch always seem to have really dope speed skaters.

jredd109

Post by jredd109 »

an-also wrote:First accident already. Apparently someone in the louge was on the final turn going 140 Km and flipped off his logue cart into a metal pole. Hopefully he doesn't die. Not sure what his status is right now

dead. 21 years old.
RIP

Positive A

Post by Positive A »

Rick Reilly continues to be a shitty "sports writer"
Oh, Canada
A guide to thriving in Vancouver, one smile at a time
Email Print Share
Reilly By Rick Reilly
ESPN The Magazine
Archive

CanadiansFrederic J. Brown/AFP/Getty ImagesCrazy Canadians need to be treated kindly, too.

It's always so cute when Canada hosts an Olympics. Canadians try so hard. This comes from living next to America and having an inferiority complex worse than Tito Jackson's.

For instance, it's rained every day I've been in Vancouver, athletes are starting to withdrawal because of pruny fingers, and Canadians feel terrible. They're always saying "Gee, sore-ee about the rain, eh?" Do you realize they've been helicoptering snow up to the mountain venues? Who does that?

These people are nice. Preposterously nice. Aunt Bee in mukluks nice. This is a country that has human-chomping grizzlies on every corner and yet chose the furry beaver for its national animal.

Here's how nice: Twice already, Canadian mogul star Jenn Heil's bus has broken down on the drive up from Vancouver to Cypress Mountain. And both buses were from California! Peter Judge of the Canadian Freestyle Ski Association was quoted as saying after the second time: "It was a bit of a concern." A "bit of a concern"? If it had happened to an American star, they'd have made everybody responsible stand against a wall in front of a running 2010 Prius.

Anyway, I think Americans who come to these Winter Olympics should try to be nice back. You can't be nicer than Canadians, but you can try. Here's how:

ג€¢ Do not talk about hockey. A Canadian team has not won the Stanley Cup in 17 years. This is possibly because there are no more Canadian hockey teams left. OK, that's not true. Still, if Canada doesn't win the gold in men's hockey this time -- something it's only done once since 1952 -- fans here might all throw themselves under stampeding moose.

If your birthday is August 9, always look at the ground, shake your head and add, "The day Wayne was traded."

ג€¢ Use the "organics" recycling container in your hotel room. This is one of 14 recycling containers you'll find there. The mind recoils as to what you're supposed to put in the "organics" can in a hotel room, but the little sign says to put "meat, poultry, fish, plants and flowers." That's weird. I always leave my poultry in a gift bag for the maid.

ג€¢ Speak Canadian. ATMs are ABMs. Street hockey is "shinny." Butt is "arse." Beer is "brew." Stuff is "whatnot." Newfoundlanders are "Newfies." Never say the "g" in "ing." And yay is not a cheer, it's a measurement, as in: "I'm lookin' for my malamute, about yay big and yay long?"

ג€¢ Call Vancouver "Van City" or even "The Van" but do not call it the name it hates: "No Fun City." It IS a fun city, except that a lot of the bars close at 11. In the morning.

ג€¢ And it apparently NEVER STOPS RAINING.

ג€¢ Use abbreviated words whenever possible. For instance, the Royal Canadian Mounted Police becomes the "RCMP," which becomes "the Armsee," as in the sentence: "I sure hope Bode Miller doesn't get pinched by the Armsees this Olympics. I got 10 Loonies on him."

ג€¢ Abbreviate your new friends' names, too. Hamilton becomes "Hams." If your friend's name is already short, add "er" to it. This is how you get a sentence like, "Let's go play some shinny, eh? You be Gretz and I'll be Nasher."

ג€¢ Compliment their national anthem. It's way better than ours.

ג€¢ Pretend that you have to plug in your engine block at night to keep it from freezing, too. Makes them feel better.

ג€¢ Go to Tim's (short for "Tim Hortons") and have a double-double (two creams, two sugars) and some Timbits (donut holes) and stand around and talk about curling. This will be a welcome topic. The Canadians are still great at curling.
You: The boys oughta do priddy good, eh?
Him: Oh, sure. The sweeps are beauties.
You: You thinkin' they might be winnin' and whatnot, eh?
Him: Boy, would that ever be neat!

ג€¢ When referring to Elvis, be sure its Stojko not Presley. If you're talking about acting, don't forget the god of all Canadian thespians -- Lorne Greene from "Bonanza." If your birthday is August 9, always look at the ground, shake your head and add, "The day Wayne was traded."

ג€¢ Never say "said." Say "goes," as in: "So Lindsey goes, 'I'm freezin' way up here in just a bikini.' And I go, 'Linds, it's a bitchin' career move!' And she goes, 'K, but it's colder 'n a Newfie's arse up here!'"

ג€¢ If you're a snowboarder and you snap your neck in three places doing your Double Fakie Ollie Grab and they're putting you in the ambulance, smile and go, "It's fine! Canada's got free health care!"

But if those bastards say anything about their dollar being worth more than ours, slam them in the nose with your organics can.

H.E.

Post by H.E. »

Yohan wrote:Speed skating is hot in the Netherlands.
Sven Kramer is awesome. I do hope B

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

smh. how could you not put padding around steel fucking poles right next to the fuckin half pipe?

Kumaritashvili killed in luge training
Comment Email Print Share
ESPN.com news services
VANCOUVER, British Columbia -- A men's luger from the former Soviet republic of Georgia died Friday after a high-speed crash during training for the Winter Games.

The International Olympic Committee said doctors were unable to revive Nodar Kumaritashvili, and the 21-year-old died at a hospital, hours before the Vancouver Olympics' opening ceremonies were to start.

IOC president Jacques Rogge said the death "clearly casts a shadow over these Games."

"The IOC is in deep mourning,'' said Rogge, who wiped his eyes and appeared choked up before speaking. "[Kumaritashvili] lost his life pursuing his passion. I have no words to say what we feel.''

Rogge said an investigation is under way but would not comment further on the accident's implications for the luge competition.

[+] Enlarge
Peter Parks/AFP/Getty Images
Nodar Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled Friday, went over a track wall and struck a steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center.
"It is a time of sorrow, not a time to ask for reasons,'' he said.

Kumaritashvili lost control of his sled, went over the track wall and struck an unpadded steel pole near the finish line at Whistler Sliding Center.

Rescue workers were at Kumaritashvili's side within seconds, chest compressions and mouth-to-mouth resuscitation started less than one minute after the crash, and he was quickly airlifted to a trauma center in Whistler.

Vancouver organizing chief John Furlong said, "We are heartbroken beyond words."

Rogge said he spoke with the president of the Republic of Georgia to express his sympathy. Rogge said the Georgian delegation has not decided whether to remain in the competition.

Kumaritashvili became the fourth Winter Olympics athlete to die since the Winter Games began in 1924 and first since 1992.

At the 1992 Albertville Games, Nicholas Bochatay of Switzerland died after crashing into a snow grooming machine during training for the demonstration sport of speed skiing on the next-to-last day of the games. He was practicing on a public slope before his event was to begin.

Australian downhill skier Ross Milne died when he struck a tree during a training run shortly before the 1964 Winter Games in Innsbruck, Austria. British luger Kazimierz Kay-Skrzypecki also died in a crash during training in Innsbruck.

At the 1988 Calgary Games, an Austrian team doctor, Jorg Oberhammer, died after being hit by a snow grooming machine.

At least two athletes have died while participating in the Summer Olympics. Marathon runner Francisco Lazaro of Portugal became severely dehydrated and collapsed during his race at the 1912 Summer Games in Stockholm, Sweden.

Danish cyclist Knud Enemark, who crashed during his race at the 1960 Games in Rome, fractured his skull and died shortly afterwards at a hospital. Enemark's death was later attributed to his ingestion of amphetamines and a blood pressure medication.

Eleven Israeli athletes and coaches were taken hostage and later murdered by terrorists at the 1972 Munich Games.

Kumaritashvili struck the inside wall of the track on the final turn. His body immediately went airborne and cleared the ice-coated concrete wall along the left side of the sliding surface. His sled remained in the track, and it appeared his helmet visor skidded down the ice.

"It's a very rare situation," three-time Olympic champion and German coach Georg Hackl said before news of Kumaritashvili's death broke, clearly shaken moments after seeing Kumaritashvili tended to furiously by medical officials.

Shortly before the accident, Hackl said he didn't believe the track was unsafe.

"People have the opinion it is dangerous but the track crew does the best it can and they are working hard to make sure the track is in good shape and everyone is safe," he said. "My opinion is that it's not anymore dangerous that anywhere else."

Olympic competition in men's luge is scheduled to begin Saturday. It's unclear if that schedule would be affected.

It was Kumaritashvili's second crash during training for the Vancouver Games. He also failed to finish his second of six practice runs, and in the runs he did finish, his average speed was about 88 mph -- significantly less than the speed the top sliders are managing on this lightning-fast course.

"My thoughts and prayers are with the Georgian Olympic team," U.S. bobsled pilot Steven Holcomb said on Twitter. "The sliding community suffered a tragic and devastating loss to our family today."

"RIP Nodar Kumaritashvili," wrote American skeleton athlete Kyle Tress, who did not qualify for the Olympic team. "Let's never forget how dangerous these sports can be."

More than a dozen athletes have crashed during Olympic training for luge, and some questioned whether athletes from smaller nations -- like Georgia -- had enough time to prepare for the daunting track.

[+] Enlarge
AP Photo/Elise Amendola
Kumaritashvili, preparing for his first training run Friday, became the third Winter Olympics athlete to die in training. None has died in competition.
For weeks leading up to the Olympics, a major concern for bobsledders, lugers and skeleton riders beyond their competition has been the formidable reputation of the track, generally considered the fastest sliding track in the world.

Bobsledder Steven Holcomb, driver of USA I, nicknamed the course's 13th curve the "50-50" curve because of the odds of a crash.

The fatal crash places the politics of the track in a decidedly different light. Earlier in the winter, the American team complained of the tight restrictions the Canadian team placed on use of the Whistler track, which was seen as an example of simple gamesmanship. The Canadians are expected to do well during the Games and limited access to the track to preserve a competitive advantage.

During pre-competition interviews Thursday, sliding athletes discussed the difficulties and challenges of navigating the speed of the Whistler track. Generally, the athletes agreed the track was even more dangerous for bobsledders due to the significantly heavier weight of the sled.

Erin Pac, the driver of the second U.S. women's bobsled team sled, crashed on the Whistler track last year.

In light of Kumaritashvili's death, however, the Canadians will undoubtedly face criticism that with a track of such speed, athletes should have been given more practice time to become familiar with it.

At the finish area, not far from where Kumaritashvili lost control, athletes, coaches and officials solemnly awaited word on Kumaritashvili before eventually being ushered away. Access to the crash area was closed within about 30 minutes.

"I've never seen anything like that," said Shiva Keshavan, a four-time Olympian from India.

The remainder of men's training was canceled for the day, with VANOC officials saying in a release that an investigation was taking place to "ensure a safe field of play."

Kumaritashvili competed in five World Cup races this season, finishing 44th in the world standings.

Five-time Olympian Mark Grimmette, chosen as the U.S. team's flag bearer, said the speeds on the track are pushing the boundaries of safety.

"We're probably getting close," he said Thursday. "This track is fast and you definitely have to be on your game. ... So it's definitely something they are going to have to take into account on future tracks."

Earlier in the day, gold-medal favorite Armin Zoeggeler of Italy crashed, losing control of his sled on Curve 11. Zoeggeler came off his sled and held it with his left arm to keep it from smashing atop his body. He slid on his back down several curves before coming to a stop and walking away.

"I think they are pushing it a little too much," Australia's Hannah Campbell-Pegg said Thursday night after she nearly lost control in training. "To what extent are we just little lemmings that they just throw down a track and we're crash-test dummies? I mean, this is our lives."

A Romanian woman was briefly knocked unconscious and at least four Americans -- Chris Mazdzer on Wednesday, Megan Sweeney on Thursday and both Tony Benshoof and Bengt Walden on Friday in the same training session where Zoeggeler wrecked -- have had serious trouble just getting down the track.

"Skeleton racers may be able to 'starfish' and kind of correct themselves because they can put their feet down," U.S. women's bobsled driver Shauna Rohbock said Thursday. "Luge, I would think it would be kind of dangerous for them, and for bobsled, yes, we have round runners on our sleds, and once you try to make a change, it doesn't react instantly, so I think it is the most dangerous of all because of the weight.

"The top of this track is pretty technical, and just from the World Cup last year, watching the sleds come down and watching people make mistakes at the bottom, I noticed that even if you make a mistake down there, it doesn't take time away because everybody is going so fast," Rohbock said. "Everybody is going very, very fast at the bottom."

American luger Christian Niccum crashed during a World Cup event in Whistler last year.

"When I hit that ice going 90 mph it turns into fire," Niccum said Thursday. "I remember coming around to the finish and I just wanted to rip off my suit, 'I'm on fire. I'm on fire.' "

Information from The Associated Press, ESPN.com senior writer Howard Bryant and ESPN.com's Bonnie D. Ford was used in this report.

Nets 2022

wheels

Post by wheels »

Maybe because you're not supposed to run into them

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

^^
still broski. you look at that picture and tell me it shouldn't have at least crossed someone's mind that such an event could take place where the control of the luge is lost, especially at those speeds, and it might send someone flying over the edge
Nets 2022