Best Defensive Player since '85: Jordan vs. Mourning

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Who was the better defensive player since 1985?

Michael Jordan
75%
Alonzo Mourning
25%

Total votes: 20

Gregg Popabitch

Best Defensive Player since '85: Jordan vs. Mourning

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Michael Jordan

vs.

Alonzo Mourning

ric

Post by ric »

zo

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Was Jordan a shut down guard? I know he had excellent help defense, but I'm don't remember him being a shut down guard.

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

Cash Rulz wrote:Was Jordan a shut down guard? I know he had excellent help defense, but I'm don't remember him being a shut down guard.
Yes he was the best defensive guard I have seen

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Post by Reason »

Cash Rulz wrote:Was Jordan a shut down guard? I know he had excellent help defense, but I'm don't remember him being a shut down guard.
lol he sonned opposing guards on the regular. by every measure (eye-test/statistical/advanced metrics-statistical/anecdotal) possible, MJ was the best not only on offense but also on defense at his position.

i can't do the eye-test for you.

i can do the statistical - only player ever to have over 200 steals AND over 100 blocks in a season...and he did it twice (and had 236 or more steals and 125 or more blocks those two years so it's not like he barely did it...so the fact nobody has ever come close to doing even the bare minimum should be quite telling).

i can do the advanced metrics - he has 64.1 career defensive win shares...or a full 16.1 more than alonzo mourning...in 2 fewer seasons!

and i can't read/listen to the anecdotal evidence for you but i'm sure you've heard/read enough of "MJ was the best player period" by hall-of-famers/hall-of-fame coaches/etc.
Nets 2022

ric

Post by ric »

@reason
jordan is sweet on d, and one of the best defensive guards. he could turn it on, but there were many a night where he just disappeared, or he was guarding the weakling, etc. stopping scoring wasnt necessarily jordans #1 job. and the fact that he could go 45-48 minutes at will for a long time is a double edged sword for how he is going to be judged. and thus my vote.

maybe its big man bias, but i remember zos presence on d being palpable for a long stretch of his career. mourning was getting 2-3 blks/game even when he wasnt healthy and was playing 20-30 minutes.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

MJ Advances