2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by capable_keL »

What a ride

All offseason moves, speculation, trades, and signings go here

dont forget to hang with ric and get your draft talk on

http://www.philaflava.com/forum/viewtop ... 0&t=132222
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

an-also

Re: 2013 NFL Offseason Thread

Post by an-also »

Can't we just combine the draft talk in the same thread?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

obvi

but if you are geekin out and need to get ur ric on there's ^ the link.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Hoping the Niners bring back Dashon, Delanie, Andy Lee, and Sopo all of whom are free agents, but with only like 6 mil cap space that's gonna be tough.

A part of me wants Alex to stay and swallow his role as a career backup, everyone knows you need 2 QB these days especially if your starter is gonna be a running QB, but by trading him or cutting him that pretty much frees up the money needed to resign the 4 players I mentioned above. I'd much rather bring them back then have Alex back, which of course means the Niners will be in the market for a backup.

As far as the draft goes I'd like to see them target an interior DL (wish Justin Smith had been on deer antler cheat sauce the defense/Aldon wasn't the same after he got hurt), a big, physical CB, and a playmaking WR. AJ Jenkins where you at?

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

we need 11 guys that can play offense, and 11 guys that can play defense wouldn't hurt either.

ric

Post by ric »

@ramen
whos we in your case? the raiders? the titans? the jets?

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

ric wrote: whos we in your case? the raiders? the titans? the jets?
if you don't know ramen's allegiance i doubt you ability to host a draft thread, nga ric

ric

Post by ric »

@kel
ha. fair enough

Ramen

Post by Ramen »

bruh? No one like the titans, no one.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Ramen wrote:bruh? No one like the titans, no one.
:leon:
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

DLG

Post by DLG »

the report that the giants think resigning nicks is a greater priority than resigning cruz is a bit worrisome.

nicks can be boldin in the playoffs-level dominant when he is healthy, but he's pretty damn injury prone. obviously, I hope they keep them both.

also would like them to re-sign bennett, which is pretty likely because he loves it in NY and won't ask for a lot to stay. If rueben randle becomes the great third receiver that I think he can be, Eli will have all the weapons he needs for another run at it.

they also need to get some young, dominant guys in the o-line, wouldn't mind seeing deihl go. pretty sick of his croatian tattoo and lackluster performance.

Drafting Ansah would be money too, considering Osi and Tuck are past their primes and might be traded. Ansah and JPP could become an amazing tandem.

and picking up a good free agent linebacker would be nice too, not really familiar with this year's draft class in terms of LBs.

wheels

Post by wheels »

DLG wrote:and picking up a good free agent linebacker would be nice too, not really familiar with this year's draft class in terms of LBs.
There's only one name that matters

DLG

Post by DLG »

yeah, other than that faggot.

DLG

Post by DLG »

damn, guess reese believes in david wilson. giants just released bradshaw

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

VideoKilledThe wrote:Hoping the Niners bring back Dashon, Delanie, Andy Lee, and Sopo all of whom are free agents, but with only like 6 mil cap space that's gonna be tough.

A part of me wants Alex to stay and swallow his role as a career backup, everyone knows you need 2 QB these days especially if your starter is gonna be a running QB, but by trading him or cutting him that pretty much frees up the money needed to resign the 4 players I mentioned above. I'd much rather bring them back then have Alex back, which of course means the Niners will be in the market for a backup.

As far as the draft goes I'd like to see them target an interior DL (wish Justin Smith had been on deer antler cheat sauce the defense/Aldon wasn't the same after he got hurt), a big, physical CB, and a playmaking WR. AJ Jenkins where you at?
Andy Lee signed a six year extension in Dec., so they have him locked up.

Alex + Akers + Haralson frees up about 16-17 million in cap space. I'm okay with letting Soap walk and resigning RJF (also a FA), which it looks like they're planning on doing given how frequently they were subbing him for Soap. Delanie's hands infuriate me and we have the draft picks to replace him (like 14 picks or some obscene number), but his blocking has improved and he's still a great receiver when he can catch the ball. Really weird. he was a WR in college and I don't remember him having drop problems earlier in his career. Goldson gets the franchise tag again IMO. They don't want to commit long term money to him given all the big payouts they have coming up in the next few years (Kaep, Iupati, A. Davis, Aldon).

IMO in order of priority (if Walker is resigned, if not, TE goes #2 or #3):

1) DE for the rotation (fully agreed there)
2) OLB (we've got nothing behind our starters, and the 9ers need to rotate on defense more)
3) FS (Not sold on Robinson, and if you keep Goldson you slide him over to SS when Whitner is up after next year, and if you lose him you need a FS too)
4) NT (again for the rotation. Haven't seen anything from Williams yet, and RJF needs someone to rotate with)
5) CB (Cully got exposed, Rogers is on the decline, Brown is a fine #2, and Brock is just awful)
6) K (Akers is gone -- it's a 6th or 7th round pick, but very much in need)
7) Swing OT (assuming Leonard Davis is gone)
8) WR/PR (Ginn is gone. I'm comfortable with Williams if he can come back from the injury, but others aren't).
9) C (assuming one of the young guys doesn't step up)
10) Another DE and OLB

alpha

Post by alpha »

I'd say 2ndary is your biggest need and should come ahead of depth that you have listed.

Jayou Ayen

Post by Jayou Ayen »

Raiders are tarping Mount Davis and part of the 3rd deck.
Supposedly dropping prices too, so maybe I won't cancel my season tickets just yet.

Take it up with Gloss, you White Piece of Shit.

Random Sample

Post by Random Sample »

Steelers got to make a lot of cuts this off season. I think Hampton and Harrison are on their way out. They just make way too much money. I don't know who else, but I think this is going to be Troy's last year. There is going to be a lot of turnaround on the defensive side of the ball.

I would like to see the Steelers sign Ahmad Bradshaw. They need a running back bad.

Dwight Strawberry

Post by Dwight Strawberry »

DLG wrote:damn, guess reese believes in david wilson. giants just released bradshaw
I love Bradshaw. 7th round pick, instrumental in 2 Super Bowl Championships, plays with fire and leadership; I'll miss #44. However, I do think this was the right move. His feet are literally put together by screws and always seems to breakdown mid season. Wilson showed some great explosiveness last season, and all he needs to do is keep working on his ball security and picking up the blitz and I think he can be a top tier RB. Figure Andre Brown comes back healthy, and that is a nice backfield.

I am a bit surprised the Giants didn't attempt to restructure with Chris Canty before cutting him. When healthy, he is a dominant DT. I'm keeping a sliver of hope alive that they will sign him back on a cheaper deal. We'll see.

Kenny Phillips will most likly sign elsewhere. :owens: The D was SO MUCH better when he was in the lineup last season. Let's just hope Stevie Brown continues to play above average into next season.

Giants need to cut Deihl and Webster now. Retool the OL, DT, and CB's and they should be in great shape. I also agree that drafting Ansah would be SICK! QB's would lose sleep at night when him and JPP are roaming like a pack of wild dogs.

Giants have some holes to fill, but solid pieces in place to remain competitive (Eli, Wilson, Cruz, Nicks, JPP, Prince, Stevie Brown, Rolle).

BTW, Steve Weatherford is the man:

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

alpha wrote:I'd say 2ndary is your biggest need and should come ahead of depth that you have listed.
Revis? :gyeah: :gyeah: :gyeah:

The problems being of course the massive contract he wants, the fact that he is coming off major knee surgery, and what is the asking price? 14 draft picks tho.

The secondary definitely got exposed by 3+ WR sets.

If it worked out...daammmnnnn, could be like 94 when Deion took a really good team and made it an elite one.

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Hey fellas, Nasty Nate from NorCal here. First time, long time. Great show. Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts on a trade: Alex Smith, Randy Moss, Chris Culliver a fifth and seventh rounder in next years draft for Revis...who says no? I'll hang up and listen.

PEACE

Tweak Da Leak

Post by Tweak Da Leak »

peanut butter wrote:Hey fellas, Nasty Nate from NorCal here. First time, long time. Great show. Anyway, just wanted to get your thoughts on a trade: Alex Smith, Randy Moss, Chris Culliver a fifth and seventh rounder in next years draft for Revis...who says no? I'll hang up and listen.

PEACE
Jets laugh and hang up
UBM CD COMING SOON

DLG

Post by DLG »

Dwight Strawberry wrote:
DLG wrote:damn, guess reese believes in david wilson. giants just released bradshaw
I love Bradshaw. 7th round pick, instrumental in 2 Super Bowl Championships, plays with fire and leadership; I'll miss #44. However, I do think this was the right move. His feet are literally put together by screws and always seems to breakdown mid season. Wilson showed some great explosiveness last season, and all he needs to do is keep working on his ball security and picking up the blitz and I think he can be a top tier RB. Figure Andre Brown comes back healthy, and that is a nice backfield.

I am a bit surprised the Giants didn't attempt to restructure with Chris Canty before cutting him. When healthy, he is a dominant DT. I'm keeping a sliver of hope alive that they will sign him back on a cheaper deal. We'll see.

Kenny Phillips will most likly sign elsewhere. :owens: The D was SO MUCH better when he was in the lineup last season. Let's just hope Stevie Brown continues to play above average into next season.

Giants need to cut Deihl and Webster now. Retool the OL, DT, and CB's and they should be in great shape. I also agree that drafting Ansah would be SICK! QB's would lose sleep at night when him and JPP are roaming like a pack of wild dogs.

Giants have some holes to fill, but solid pieces in place to remain competitive (Eli, Wilson, Cruz, Nicks, JPP, Prince, Stevie Brown, Rolle).

BTW, Steve Weatherford is the man:

on point. I think andre brown might have been a bit of a fluke though, don't really see him making an impact after the injury.

also, big no homo, but have you ever seen weatherford with his shirt off? there is no reason in the world for a punter to be that jacked. dude is shredded beyond reason.

alpha

Post by alpha »

running backs are a dime a dozen. can we get this thread less homo now?

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nf ... s/1897771/
Joe Flacco wasn't about to stand and watch the Baltimore Ravens' special-teams unit lose Super Bowl XLVII.

While on the sideline with his teammates as the Ravens' kick-coverage team lined up with 4 seconds to play in the game and Baltimore holding a 34-31 lead, Flacco told tight end Dennis Pitta to run onto the field and tackle the San Francisco 49ers' Ted Ginn Jr. if he got into the clear.

"If he starts to break it, go tackle him," Flacco told Pitta, as caught by NFL Films microphones.

"Really?" Pitta replied.

Yeah, really. Flacco appeared to be stone serious.

"I don't know," Flacco said. "I mean, what else … what could they … I don't know. They might be able to give him a touchdown on that, but I don't know."

Flacco then went to his offensive linemen and told them the same thing.

"Hey, if he breaks it, if he busts it for some reason, tackle him, go tackle him," Flacco said. "I don't know what the rule is on that, but…"

AFC ISSUES: What must Ravens do in offseason?

The ruling would've been a touchdown. The officials would've ruled it a "palpably unfair act" with a "distance penalty determined by the Referee after consultation with other officials."

So the only result of the situation would've been some ridiculous footage of a bunch of helmetless players coming off the bench to chase after Ginn.

Which would've made the shots from the blackout footage the second-silliest images of the evening.

But hey, at least the ringleader would've led the charge.

"Why can't you (go tackle him)?" center Matt Birk asks Flacco after the quarterback barks the command.

"I will," Flacco said. "I'm going to."

Thankfully for Flacco and the Ravens, Ginn was tackled at midfield and the game was over.

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

alpha wrote:I'd say 2ndary is your biggest need and should come ahead of depth that you have listed.
Yeah, but secondary looked great until the front 7 were run into the ground by the end of the year, though. You repeatedly give anyone seven seconds to throw and they're going to tear you apart. The Super Bowl was just the Ravens repeatedly abusing the dog shit out of Culliver, which is really uncommon (he was twice as bad as I've ever seen him play, but it was also an even more than usual atypical week for him).

As far the secondary goes IMO the problem isn't the CBs, but that Whitner and Goldson are kind of redundant players, and it's a shitty year for safeties. One thing they could do is slide Culliver over to FS (he was a FS/CB in college, and people were surprised the 9ers put him at CB), slide Goldson over to SS, and then draft someone like Marcus Trufant in the 1st or Jordan Poyer in the second (assuming either of them fall a little bit).

Still though, that's a solution for two years down the line. You don't get within a couple plays of making the Super Bowl one year and within a couple plays of winning it the next year and then start plugging in rookies and changing positions because things "aren't working."

ric

Post by ric »

@popeye
interesting thing about des trufant; he was starting cb/baller for 3 years and then they moved him around a bit to great affect in a new defense last year; usually either a single high safety or a 1/3 cb with run stopping responsibilities. pass coverage is real though and he can come up and play run too. most teams stopped throwing his way in his junior year (1/2 way into sophomore year really). his ability to react and make plays in match zone is good but will be a question. a couple teams threw right at him successfully until he could get his shit together and then they backed off or got killed. man coverage is great though. guys agility is insane. as a junior he made this play against cal i think that i saw live where the throw is to the inside but the qb threw outside and low and the wr adjusted beautifully and it wouldve been perfect except that trufant adjusted and jumped and - in mid air - stretched out like a plank parallel to the ground - and deflected the pass low at full extension. after that play i said the athiests prayer that he would stay for his senior year.
Last edited by ric on Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Steve Weatherford is awesome. One of my favorite Giants.

No one can replace Feagles but he has filled in admirably.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Todd McShay Mock

1. Kansas City Chiefs - DT Star Lotulelei | Utah | 6'4/320
2. Jacksonville Jaguars - DE Bjoern Werner | Florida St | 6'4/255
3. Oakland Raiders - CB Dee Milliner | Alabama | 6'1/199
4. Philadelphia Eagles - OT Luke Joeckel | Texas A&M | 6'6/310
5. Detroit Lions - DE Dion Jordan | Oregon | 6'7/243
6. Cleveland Browns - DE Barkevious Mingo | LSU | 6'5/242
7. Arizona Cardinals - OT Eric Fisher | Central Michigan | 6'8/305