Top 10 to Start an NBA Franchise

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

naturalborn103

Top 10 to Start an NBA Franchise

Post by naturalborn103 »

We have probably done this (many times) before.. But who are your top 10 players you want if you are starting a Franchise right now?

1 Lebron
2 Durant
3 Irving
4 Harden
5 Paul George
6 Westbrook
7 CP3
8 Love
9 Griffin
10 Anthony Davis

honorable mention: Drummond

Rose and D Howard would be on there if I saw them back at 100%

alpha

Re: Top 10 to Start an NBA Franchise

Post by alpha »

One season or 5-10 years?

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

5-10

Hayzoos

Post by Hayzoos »

Drummond over Lillard?
Spottin fools frontin fly

http://www.last.fm/user/fopomofo

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

Easily.

Drummond is 3rd in offensive rebound%
1st in offensive rebound%
4th in block %
13th in PER

And if you watch him is a MONSTER. It is really too bad he got hurt cause pick and roll with him and Calderon would of been real fun to watch. I think he is going to be a 20-10 guy + bunch of blocks and steals for many years. He is also 3 years younger then Lillard.

alpha

Post by alpha »

I agree with your list pretty much. Might shuffle the back half a bit, but I wouldn't change it. Although I'd add in rose and Bynum somehow if we're going long term

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Melo? Lamarcus? Demarcus?

I'm sorry call me a hater, but Blake wouldn't make my list at all, he is a show pony, not a legit franchise player, too small, is more of an open court player as opposed to a half court read:playoff player.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

VideoKilledThe wrote:Melo? Lamarcus? Demarcus?

I'm sorry call me a hater, but Blake wouldn't make my list at all, he is a show pony, not a legit franchise player, too small, is more of an open court player as opposed to a half court read:playoff player.
I think he used to be, but this last year Griffin has improved almost every aspect of his game. He is legit.

Melo - I don't want to build my new franchise around a 28 year old chucker who stops the offense and doesn't play D.

Lamarcus - I used to like him a lot more, but his offense has gone more and more away from the rim every year which is not a good thing. http://www.hoopdata.com/player.aspx?nam ... 20Aldridge . He is also not young.

Demarcus - Could easily be on the list, but I'm still scared of him losing his mind.

I don't know if he would be next on my list, but I would want Favors over all three of those guys. I can't wait until Jazz finally give him starter minutes.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

Melo is one of the best players in the game, and is criminally slept on on the board. As far as flat out scorers go he's up there with Durant and Kobe, and even if he is 28 his game will age well. It's based mostly off strength and his ability to hit the mid range J, think:Paul Pierce. I'd say he has another 5 years of high production scoringwise. He'd definitely make my list, I'll take an elite wing scorer and clutch go to guy even if he is entering the twilight of his prime.

With Demarcus he is so talented, but it's almost an afterthought cause all anybody ever wants to talk about is how fucking crazy he is (and for good reason). If you could pair him with a young Phil Jackson, who was known for getting the most out of character issue/ego/headcase type players, you could really be on to something, but since that's never gonna happen he'll probably just waste away as another wouldacouldashoulda been. He reminds me of Rasheed Wallace because of his combination of size, skill, and crazy.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

As much as I like Blake, I'm taking LaMarcus Aldridge over him. The man can just do more things offensively than Blake can. He's also better defensively imo. He's not a better rebounder but I'll take the other two facets just fine. I like the fact that blake can hit that 15-17 foot jumper consistently but I still need to see more imo.

I fully believe Demarcus is in a fully dysfunctional situation. The guy needs the structure that a good coach or a good organization can give him.

Melo doesn't play D? He's played more D this year than I ever seen him do. He's a chucker? Have you seen the offensive options on the Knicks? Have you ever looked at his usage rate and wondered why it's so high? You're saying all of these things when he's having the best year of his career as the only legitimate offensive option on the Knicks for most of the season? Look, sometimes I hate on Melo....and I do that often. But that's because he's not Durant, Lebron, or CP3. BUT NO ONE IS. The guy is a fucking beast.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

This is for long run though, so while I would take LA this year, I would take Griffin for the long run. LA is 27 and if anything is getting worse. Griffin is 23 and has got better by leaps and bounds since he entered the league and I don't see any reason he is still not improving.

I agree with what you said about Cousins, but everything I have read about him is that he is a legit full fledged headcase. Kings are probably the worst team in all of NBA for him to be on, but I still have a hard time trusting him to be my franchise. Hopefully after Kings get sold new management is smarter and we get to see Cousins surrounded by better coach/team/management and some structure.

Dude, you really trying to argue this? You have seen more Knicks games then me obviously, but I am buying into the Melo I have seen for 10 years chucking away and playing very lackluster D, not the Melo who has played great for half a season so far this year.

wheels

Post by wheels »

Patrick Paterson will help boogie out more than people think. He was rumored to be the only thing that kept him from quitting on Cal in 2010

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

I've forever thought that the Kings would be wise to hire Rod Strickland to serve solely as the Boogie Whisperer.

PEACE

Kid That's Lifeless

Post by Kid That's Lifeless »

Lamarcus
Lebron
Durant
Irving
Cp3

peanut butter

Post by peanut butter »

Pretty athletic group there

PEACE

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

naturalborn103 wrote:We have probably done this (many times) before.. But who are your top 10 players you want if you are starting a Franchise right now?

1 Lebron
2 Durant
3 Irving
4 Anthony Davis
5 CP3
6 Dwight Howard
7 Griffin
8 Harden
9 Westbrook
10 Derrick Rose
11 Kevin Love
12 Brook Lopez

honorable mention: Drummond

Rose and D Howard would be on there if I saw them back at 100%

jazzmatazz23

Post by jazzmatazz23 »

VideoKilledThe wrote:Melo is one of the best players in the game, and is criminally slept on on the board. As far as flat out scorers go he's up there with Durant and Kobe, and even if he is 28 his game will age well. It's based mostly off strength and his ability to hit the mid range J, think:Paul Pierce. I'd say he has another 5 years of high production scoringwise. He'd definitely make my list, I'll take an elite wing scorer and clutch go to guy even if he is entering the twilight of his prime.

With Demarcus he is so talented, but it's almost an afterthought cause all anybody ever wants to talk about is how fucking crazy he is (and for good reason). If you could pair him with a young Phil Jackson, who was known for getting the most out of character issue/ego/headcase type players, you could really be on to something, but since that's never gonna happen he'll probably just waste away as another wouldacouldashoulda been. He reminds me of Rasheed Wallace because of his combination of size, skill, and crazy.

I wouldn't touch Demarcus Cousins with a ten foot pole

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

we're going to have to disagree because i completely disagree with your assessments on both of those guys.

Let's put lamarcus next to cp3 and see how much better he looks as well. lamarcus has missed quite a few games in the past few years but blake's got that ACL injury and his reckless style of play that would have me to believe that unless blake becomes an elite post player or acquires an elite jump shot, he won't be too effective if he gets old fast due to injuries. Lamarcus has the style of play where he'll be around for a while....i'm just worried he'll get overworked in portland.

and lol at the melo hate. And like i said...i don't even like melo that much. mainly because he's a hothead. it just looks like you're looking for a reason to hate so you'll hate. hence your "i'd rather belive his last 10 years than what he's doing this season" comment.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

We can agree to disagree, but few quick points.

What made me really believe in Griffin is when he was playing while Paul was hurt. They ran the offense through him much more and he looked like one of the better passing big men in the league, as well as hitting that midrange jumper like you mentioned earlier. I also thought Griffin broke his kneecap, not an ACL, which if that is right is huge difference.

My problem with LA, which is due to being overworked over the years, is that he is playing offense further and further from the rim and becoming less and less efficient. I would take LA for the year still, but I think he is regressing at this point in his career.

I don't hate Melo, but I think it is a little silly to say this 1 out of his 11 year career represents who Melo is. Isn't the sample size way too small and hasn't his play been slipping on D and O back to the mean as of late? I hope that we can agree at least that before this year Melo has been an offense stopper on O and an overall negative on D.

VideoKilledThe

Post by VideoKilledThe »

naturalborn103 wrote:I don't hate Melo, but I hate Melo.

The Rapping Coffin

Post by The Rapping Coffin »

irving is awesome but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too injury prone to make top 5

this is making realize the nba has crazy depth but is thin as fuck for top level young superstars. it's like the opposite of the 90s which had no depth but great top level players.

naturalborn103

Post by naturalborn103 »

The Rapping Coffin wrote:irving is awesome but waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too injury prone to make top 5

this is making realize the nba has crazy depth but is thin as fuck for top level young superstars. it's like the opposite of the 90s which had no depth but great top level players.
He has had some more serious injuries, but I think a lot of the 1 game here and 2 games here are just Cavs handling him with kiddie gloves cause they have no reason to not let him rest.

D. James

Post by D. James »

Gregg Popabitch wrote: Melo doesn't play D? He's played more D this year than I ever seen him do. He's a chucker? Have you seen the offensive options on the Knicks? Have you ever looked at his usage rate and wondered why it's so high? You're saying all of these things when he's having the best year of his career as the only legitimate offensive option on the Knicks for most of the season? Look, sometimes I hate on Melo....and I do that often. But that's because he's not Durant, Lebron, or CP3. BUT NO ONE IS. The guy is a fucking beast.
So we're supposed to ignore the fact that Anthony has played no defense for the majority of his career just because he decided to start playing it for one season? He is having the best year of his career and earlier in the season he was an MVP candidate, but this is still the guy who has never been out of the first round of the playoffs and let's not forget that the Nuggets have been better than us ever since we made that trade.