Warren Sapp versus Michael Strahan

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

Warren Sapp or Michael Strahan?

Sapp
67%
Strahan
33%

Total votes: 15

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Warren Sapp versus Michael Strahan

Post by Reason »

Whom do you pick?

At first I had the stipulation here about "you get either player in their prime for one game" but fuck it I'll let you decide why you're picking one or the other, whether it be career or one game or whatever else.
Nets 2022

Reason
Kim Jong iLL

Re: You get either player in their prime for one game...

Post by Reason »

the inspiration behind the poll:

"I don't think his résumé stacks up," Sapp said, listing Tony Dungy, Walter Jones, Marvin Harrison and Derrick Brooks as more deserving candidates on this year's ballot. "Four straight Pro Bowls and a mythical sack record. When you really measure it up, he comes up short, except you all are giving it to him."

Sapp has been critical of Strahan's single-season sack record of 22.5 since Strahan set it in 2001 on a play on which Packers quarterback Brett Favre appeared to take a dive. Strahan hasn't always fired back, but he offered plenty of response Tuesday to Sapp's assertion that his Hall of Fame candidacy is propped up by the media.

-------------

"Football was part of my life, but it is not my entire life," said the former New York Giants defensive end, who's one of 15 finalists for Saturday's Pro Football Hall of Fame election. "So for some guys, maybe that's their entire life and that's all they have to hold onto. Playing football, sacking quarterbacks, that was part of my life, and I did it and I moved on. The tiger does not pay attention to the opinion of the sheep."

"I am. I'm all hype," Strahan said. "I lasted 15 years, all hype. I had 141.5 career sacks, all hype. I was always a starter. I played left end, and that made me get sacks. My coaches kept putting me in the game because they felt it gave us the best chance to win, and that was all hype."
Nets 2022

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Re: Warren Sapp versus Michael Strahan

Post by capable_keL »

tough to compare an outside speed rusher to one of the original 3 technique 300 pound guys who can rush with speed

numbers numbers numbers... they are meaningless without context
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

PopeyeJones

Post by PopeyeJones »

Sapp was the more well-rounded player, and the more consistently dominate player.

The crazy part is that John Randle was likely better than both of them, but nobody gives a shit because he was wasting away in MN for his whole career.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

PopeyeJones wrote:Sapp was the more well-rounded player, and the more consistently dominate player.

The crazy part is that John Randle was likely better than both of them, but nobody gives a shit because he was wasting away in MN for his whole career.
ouch... fuck you bro. pretty sure randle won more games than either of them, but that's just a hunch. you're right tho.. randle was better than both of them, but this is phila where we only look at guys that are convenient to our perceived arguments
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

alpha

Post by alpha »

randle was probably better. I'll ride with Sapp tho over gap tooth.

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

Sapp. I was never blown away by Strahan, and he was definitely given that sack record. He was a great player, but not an all timer at his position imo. Sapp was much more of a freak, and was a key part of that defense for a very long time.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

ThaJim2

Post by ThaJim2 »

Sapp. But he is out of his mind Strahan is a hall of famer.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Sapp and Randle is better than both, maybe combined.

Gregg Popabitch

Post by Gregg Popabitch »

Sapp in his prime but he's always been a world class bitcher that cries and cries and cries about perceived wrongs. This is nothing new. It's strange saying this about a football player but I wish he'd grow a pair of balls.

And Strahan is a HOFer. He was an excellent pass rusher AND he was an excellent run stopper for his position. And Sapp's argument doesn't really stack up either. Strahan has many pro bowl appearances and as many All Pro 1st Teams as Sapp. Strahan was also voted to the Pro Football Hall of Fame as starting defensive end on the all 2000s team.

Sapp just needs something to bitch about constantly.

DLG

Post by DLG »

dude just challenged strahan to a fight. he's probably really jealous that strahan stays making bank after football while he's filing for bankruptcy.

no matter how much of a beast sapp was, I would rather build my defense around a true leader and classy, consistent player like strahan.

an-also

Post by an-also »

Sapp is a horrible human being.

Cash Rulz
Voice of Reason

Post by Cash Rulz »

Its a dumb argument. You cannot compare an end and a tackle. Two different body types, two different skill sets. You might as well compare Adrian Peterson and Matt Prater.

Sapp was probably more dominant in his position, but he has no right to think that Strahan is not a HOFer.