Frank Thomas...21st player to 500 HR

Discuss all sports including fantasy and online gambling.

Moderator: Gregg Popabitch

hessbz12

Frank Thomas...21st player to 500 HR

Post by hessbz12 »

Props are due...congrats to the BIG HURT

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6971420?MSNHPHMA
MINNEAPOLIS (AP) - Frank Thomas hit his 500th home run Thursday, routinely putting his head down as he rounded the bases while joining one of baseball's most elite clubs.

The Toronto slugger became the 21st major leaguer to reach the career mark, a milestone that has always meant an eventual spot in the Hall of Fame.
Thomas hit a three-run shot in the first inning, connecting against Minnesota's Carlos Silva and sending a 1-2 pitch an estimated 396 feet into the left-field stands.

The Metrodome crowd responded with a standing ovation for the two-time AL MVP. Thomas made little display while taking his home run trot as Toronto players spilled out of the dugout to congratulate him.

That Thomas did it in the Metrodome was fitting. He hit his first career home run at the ballpark against Gary Wayne while with the Chicago White Sox on Aug. 28, 1990. Thomas has 16 homers overall at the stadium.

The 39-year-old Thomas is in his first season with the Blue Jays. He played last year in Oakland.

Next on Thomas' ascent on the career home run list are Eddie Murray (504), Mel Ott (511) and Ernie Banks and Eddie Mathews (512 each). Also within reach of 500 this year are Alex Rodriguez, Jim Thome and Manny Ramirez.

Thomas entered Thursday with four home runs in his previous nine games.

The Big Hurt has hit 50 career homers against the Twins, his most against any team and the most by an active player against Minnesota. Rocky Colavito hit 52 against the Twins and Mickey Mantle and Reggie Jackson each hit 51.

The seventh overall pick by the White Sox in 1989, Thomas spent 16 years in Chicago and established many franchise bests, including 448 home runs, 1,465 RBIs and 3,949 total bases. His .427 on-base percentage and .568 slugging percentage are also franchise bests.

But an injured ankle limited Thomas to 108 games in his final two seasons and led to a falling-out with the team.

After joining Oakland as a free agent, Thomas hit 39 home runs and drove in 114 runs last year in helping the A's reach the AL Championship Series. He signed with the Blue Jays as a free agent on Nov. 17, 2006

Brougham33

Post by Brougham33 »

Props to him. In the mid 90's you couldn't find a better pure hitter. Even though he pisses me off alot with his bullshit....I am still a big fan. Should be first ballot.

Philaflava
King of The DPB'rs

Post by Philaflava »

Frank Thomas > Albert Belle + Mark Whiten + Juan Gonzalez combined

eternalreflection
I'll Just STFU Now!

Post by eternalreflection »

only Bonds was better in the early 90s

he was a HOFer without this milestone obviously(though maybe not to some of the retarded voters)

blastmaster
King Duggan

Post by blastmaster »

Its a shame he isnt in a White Sox uniform, but whatever. Still my favorite baseball player ever.

Raphael De La Ghetto

Post by Raphael De La Ghetto »

He was also ejected from this game.
This game wasn't even fuckin televised in Toronto. Gay.

hessbz12

Post by hessbz12 »

blastmaster wrote:Its a shame he isnt in a White Sox uniform, but whatever. Still my favorite baseball player ever.
My fav player ever as well. I was the biggest White Sox fan back in the early 90s. Frank Thomas, "Black Jack" McDowell, Ozzie, etc.

I had both Frank Thomas and McDowell's starting lineups.

capable_keL
phila HR Champ

Post by capable_keL »

Raphael De La Ghetto wrote:He was also ejected from this game.
i got it on dvr

too bad they lost

i LOLd @ AJ burnet acting like a baby , throwing his little mit around and ripping off his jersey

he acted like a woman, reminded me of req
Hey, by the way who's Curt?

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Big Hurt Baseball was badass. And so were his shoes.
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

CONGRATULATIONS!

AND I GOT TO SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just barely though, had to run down to my seat. Wasn't there a minute before it happened... I knew it was going to happen though. I just felt all shaky and excited right before, just felt like something was about to happen.

I was standing up and clapping before it was officially out, and people are looking at me like a retard (wearing the Kirby Puckett jersey). A lot of the people at the game didn't understand what happened.

The mental giant who caught the ball gave it away for a free Twins jersey. :wtf:

Definitely one of the most memorable games I have been to. I will be lucky to see a 500th hr again, me thinks.
I <3 Employee.

adverse

Post by adverse »

congrats
ImageImage

an-also

Post by an-also »

Myjah wrote: The mental giant who caught the ball gave it away for a free Twins jersey. :wtf:
what a dumfuck

avalanche

Post by avalanche »

blastmaster wrote:Its a shame he isnt in a White Sox uniform, but whatever. Still my favorite baseball player ever.

blessingindisguise

Post by blessingindisguise »

I can't stand this nigga. But props on getting the 500 homeruns. He's one of the best sluggers ever.

still illiterate

Post by still illiterate »

hessbz12 wrote:
My fav player ever as well. I was the biggest White Sox fan back in the early 90s. Frank Thomas, "Black Jack" McDowell, Ozzie, etc.
word. It's still odd to think about him on a different squad.

stupidregister

Post by stupidregister »

Did anyone see his press-conference afterwords? He's like "yeah, it's a huge deal...I'm great...this is greatness."
Quality stitched MLB, NBA, NFL, and soccer jerseys: https://www.etsy.com/shop/FanJerseyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Req

Post by Req »

CaPaBLe_KeL wrote:
Raphael De La Ghetto wrote:He was also ejected from this game.
i got it on dvr

too bad they lost

i LOLd @ AJ burnet acting like a baby , throwing his little mit around and ripping off his jersey

he acted like a woman, reminded me of req
is that the official stance of the MiNeApOlIs Faggot Squad or are you speaking out of turn?

F.U. MOOLAH

BayAreaHustla408

Post by BayAreaHustla408 »

Myjah wrote:I will be lucky to see a 500th hr again, me thinks.
see im spoiled.............ive seen 500, 600, 700, and the last milestone.....713

im a spoiled brat!....but thats what season tickets does to a man....

...........congrats to frank.......im a fan of him also.....

jamrage

Post by jamrage »

He's a hall of famer for sure.

Great career, amazing hitter. Loved finding those rookie cards when I was collecting...

Credit is due.
[i]Styles can be applied quickly to selected text.[/i]

Myjah

Post by Myjah »

an-also wrote:
Myjah wrote: The mental giant who caught the ball gave it away for a free Twins jersey. :wtf:
what a dumfuck
Wait, actually it was a blue jays jersey and a signed ball. He said he was probably just going to sell the jersey though, because it was blue jays.
I <3 Employee.